Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 94 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 22, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2326
TheBigAR2003

convincing my fiance to let me get a walker took about 8 months of hinting and saving and one hell of a good deal

looks like i wont get to the range until after christmas
will get some pics and a good report then
Official THR Walker Club Member #101
Official THR Remmy Club Member #51
Old December 22, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2327
Steven Youngblood

Thanks.
I knew it was 75 something.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:40 PM   #2328
Panama Red

8 MONTHS?!!! Crap, I'll never get one of these things.. I'm going to try and sneak a line item in the budget for one. Never even knew I wanted one until I started reading this thread. Thanks a pant load, fella's. Then again, the flint-locker guys have me going that way also.... AAARRRGGGGHHHHH... So many guns, so little money.

Thanks for the great pictures. This has been one of my favorite threads. It's great to see a group of guys passionate about their hobby (can I call it a hobby and not tick everybody off?).
Old December 22, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2329
TheBigAR2003

get a coffee can and start putting cash in it and when you get enough in it just say hey ive already got the money saved so it wont look like money out of pocket and save a few extra $$ to take her out to dinner afterwards
Official THR Walker Club Member #101
Official THR Remmy Club Member #51
Old December 22, 2009, 05:06 PM   #2330
Fingers McGee

Quote:
It's great to see a group of guys passionate about their hobby (can I call it a hobby and not tick everybody off?).
I prefer to call it an avocation.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:21 PM   #2331
Shanghai McCoy

Gee Panama,
I guess this would be a bad time to tell ya that my wife bought mine for me as a gift...
Old December 23, 2009, 08:24 AM   #2332
Steven Youngblood

1.You gotta do the hard sell.
With the way the economy is and the prices are, you gotta buy one now.
The price will be higher as time goes on.
You are doing her a favor buying one now.

2.Dude, you may even have to put out.

3. But all my friends have one, you don't want me to look bad.

4. it's a man thing

5.layaway, and then when she catches you playing with it, " what this old thing, I've had it for ever, Don't you remember when I told you I was going to get it. then use a reference point in time when she was really buisy. I told you, you never listen to me!

6. If all else fails, let her buy something of equal value and use it as an excuse for you to buy a walker.

me I just look pitiful for a couple of days , puppy dog eyes, long sighs, ect before popping the question.

as for the flint lock, fun yes, no doubt, but the walker is fun times 6, with gravy.

Last edited by Steven Youngblood; December 23, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:05 AM   #2333
Panama Red

Steven, Unfortunately, I've used all of those and a few more getting set up for IDPA, where I've regressed from SSP (plastic) to CDP (1911) and finally to SSR (Revolver). Each step backwards in time required new guns and all the stuff to go with them. While each method has it's own merit, my wife is a smart cookie and catches on pretty quick. I've tried repeating techniques to no avail. I even used the "Last Gun I'll Ever Need" one about 3 guns ago...

Shanghai, There's my problem, I asked for a Remmie for Christmas, and have one, as we speak, all wrapped up under the tree. I didn't realize how bad I needed the Walker until I got snared by this thread. Got to at least wait for the birthday in June...

Fingers, Avocation... I like it.

Sorry if I come across as a little too familiar with you guys, but I've been reading ya'lls back and forth stuff for a month now, and feel like I know ya.

Oh yeah, BigAR, I've got the Hidey-hole money can started, just in case things don't pan out for the birthday...

I now return you to "The Official THR Walker Club" thread, already in progress...
Old December 23, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2334
scrat

I just give my wife her freedom to buy and do what she wants. So when i purchased my gun it was not a suprise.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2335
TomADC

I just sprang for a new SS dishwasher & stove to match the new SS refrigerator
But she bought a Walker & Henry to put under the tree. She has bought others over the years great gal for sure..
Old December 23, 2009, 02:22 PM   #2336
Steven Youngblood

works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rm1.JPG (200.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg rm2.JPG (142.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg rm3.JPG (165.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg walker 003.jpg (131.9 KB, 28 views)
Old December 27, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2337
armyof1

A low priced COLT WALKER i found on the net ... !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img237.jpg (990.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg img238.jpg (817.1 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by armyof1; December 27, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2338
dmjung

Finally got around to shooting blackpowder again with the Colt 2nd Gen Walker and a new Uberti Dragoon.

Extremely frustrating time...probably got off about 20 shots in three hours.

Now to cap it off, I need to clean these things and the Walker barrel assembly refuses to come off. Short of burying it in the yard and forgetting about it...what's the best way to get a stuck Walker barrel off? And to make it moderately interesting, I ended up with two loaded chambers that caps refused to fire on by the end of the day.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2339
dmjung

OK, finally got it apart. The final trick was to remove the loading lever assembly and use a wooden dowel and mallet to drive it off (kind of like you normally would just levering it off with the loading lever...only with more gusto.)

I'm guessing the slot got peened out a little some how and had the barrel assembly staked in place. Well at least I can move on.

I think I need to send this off and have someone who's REALLY familiar with Walkers look it over. There seemed to be some timing issues developing at the end of the not so many shots it got off.

Last edited by dmjung; December 27, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Cause my grammer sux.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:11 PM   #2340
scrat

Ok we will deal with the problems 1 at at time. first the stuck barrel.

Tap the muzzle to the frame with a rubber mallet prefered then drive the wedge completley out. take out the screw if needed. put the gun on half cock with the wedge out try to use the loading lever to force the barrel off it it is still stuck sounds dry. first problem let it soak in some penetrating oil. then try it again. once you get it apart clean it up.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2341
scrat

Now lets talk about Walker Issues.

you fired off 6 rounds then went to fire off 6 more caps were falling you think now it wont fire or seems like its not hitting the nipples good enough it fails to fire. If thats what you have keep reading.

If you have the original nipples replace them with some TRESO nipples.
Why because some of the most common problems with these guns is the caps or pieces of them fall into the works. You wont even see it. Take apart the gun almost guaranteed you will find a piece of a cap in the works. This was you first problem. So replacing the nipples is the first step. Now second thing is you need to make sure the caps are seated flat against the nipples. Then give them a slight pinch to tighten the skirt against the nipple. Becarefull if you ballon the area that contacts the nipple then it wont really fire.

Ok lube time. i use bore butter but its important to do slight maintenance work at the range. Wipe down the arbor shaft and and put a new coat of bore butter on the shaft once in a while. I even put a dab of bore butter around the base of the nipples. Why so when you fire the gun the cap frags stick to the bore butter. i used to use grease but i try to keep grease from the gun. Overall the walker is a blast to shoot but you have to understand your shooting a gun from 1847 with the same problems they had in 1847. Once in a while between shots clean out the cylinders and shoot some blank caps to clear out the nipples. i keep a very small bottle of alcohal and q tips to clean the insides of the cylinders and nipples. a clean Walker will shoot best.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2342
scrat

Ok tired of all the problems but love shooting the gun. Some of us get that way. i still keep the gun clean and have since now learned how to take apart the gun and have it back together within about 5 minutes at the range. I now also shoot 45Colt as i bought a R&D cylinder so i get the best of both worlds. i shoot cap and ball then when i get tired of it i clean it up and shoot 45 Colt
Old December 27, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2343
scrat

Quote:
OK, finally got it apart. The final trick was to remove the loading lever assembly and use a wooden dowel and mallet to drive it off (kind of like you normally would just levering it off with the loading lever...only with more gusto.)
Perfect. i have had to ream mine a tad and so have others. Sometimes the arbor shaft with get a burr on it or in the barrel and putting the two together makes it worst. Also if you put too much grease on the shaft it will create a suction that you have to fight against. you want enough grease but not enough to create a suction. i am almost thinking of using graphite on the forward shaft like i do on the inner parts.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:13 PM   #2344
dmjung

I've got essentially new TRESO nipples on it (used just once before)...the original Colt nipples were just a bit too large for anything. I was trying CCI #10 and #11 caps...I have some Remington and Dynamit Nobel caps to try some time, but didn't get around to them. #10's were too small, #11's seemed to fit, but I ended up with caps that looked OK, but never fired after multiple strikes.

The Walker is in major sub-assemblies now, cleaned and oiled. Later this week I'll take it the rest of the way down and make sure I don't have something inside. At the end of the day, I had to jiggle the cylinder a little to get it to lock in place and allow the trigger to release the hammer.

There's something odd with the wedge fitting/tolerances...if it's in a position where the wedge's catch is just past the frame (like I think it ought to be), it's too tight and the cylinder won't turn. So the end of the wedge is normally even with the frame. I noticed after shooting the first six shoots that the wedge had worked itself out a little and was at an angle...removed/reinserted it to the usual position, but I'm thinking it being at an angle was what peened something out of place inside and locked things together.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2345
scrat

a few years ago i tried something that i shared with others since then this is all i use. GRAPHITE. after i clean up the inners i only lube the inners with graphite. As any other lube wet will attract the cap frags. if you use graphite the cap frags do not stick to anything they will just fall in the bottom and you can pretty much shake the gun and they will fall out. it has prevent a lot of missfires.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2346
dmjung

Took the Walker completely apart tonight. I expected to find cap debris everywhere, but the interior and parts were pretty clean. Actually a lot cleaner than I expected.

Tomorrow I'll finish cleaning and start piecing it back together...maybe I'll see something during reassembly.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2347
dmjung

Quote:
i have had to ream mine a tad and so have others. Sometimes the arbor shaft with get a burr on it or in the barrel and putting the two together makes it worst.
It looks like I've got a nasty burr in the arbor shaft. The arbor looks OK, but when inserting it the end gets to about the middle of the wedge hole and stops hard. Rotating feels like I'm grinding against something. I've spent a fair amount of time looking/feeling for it, but I don't see anything to attack.

I know in general what a reamer does, but my knowledge stops there. What do I need to measure/borrow/buy to ream/clean out the arbor shaft?

Thanks.

I had the thing completely apart...it's amazing how rough and crude the internal finish was. I'm wondering if the Colt's are really worth the money over a Uberti at this point...at least if you intend to shoot it. Spent some time filing/polishing and the trigger/cocking is pretty smooth now. Can't wait to try it again, but the burr is a show-stopper.

--David
Old January 1, 2010, 06:09 AM   #2348
madcratebuilder

Quote:
It looks like I've got a nasty burr in the arbor shaft. The arbor looks OK, but when inserting it the end gets to about the middle of the wedge hole and stops hard. Rotating feels like I'm grinding against something. I've spent a fair amount of time looking/feeling for it, but I don't see anything to attack.
Look for a burr around the wedge slot on the arbor and the barrel lug. You really don't want to be reaming the arbor hole, this needs to be tight as possible.

Quote:
I had the thing completely apart...it's amazing how rough and crude the internal finish was. I'm wondering if the Colt's are really worth the money over a Uberti at this point...at least if you intend to shoot it. Spent some time filing/polishing and the trigger/cocking is pretty smooth now. Can't wait to try it again, but the burr is a show-stopper.
Normally the 2nd gens have about the best fit and finish you well find. My 2nd gen Walker has the best fit and finish of any BP revolver I have owned. You may have gotten a Monday morning gun.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old January 1, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2349
dmjung

I spent a fair amount of time with good light and magnification looking around the arbor shaft, especially the wedge area. Used various probes to see if I could feel something, but nothing obvious. I'll look some more today, but I'm thinking about running a drill bit or sandpaper-wrapped dowel in by hand and try to smooth it out.

Externally, my Colt 2nd Gen is very nice, well, other than where I've nicked it up shooting. The only obvious external defect is one side of the hammer is scratched up due to too close of tolerance between it and the frame. Internally there are lots of machine marks; surfaces that should be sliding on each other were kind of rough. I haven't had any of the others broken down this far so they may be worse.

--David
Old January 1, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2350
dmjung

Finally! Looks like the arbor and the arbor shaft were both out of shape a little. Some of it appeared to be the wedge area on both the arbor and the barrel were peen'ed and the other appeared to be sloppy fitting/finishing at the factory. This Walker was always kind of difficult to get disassembled and reassembled...fits like a glove now.

Nothing like spending a couple of hours with needle files and scouring pads on a holiday...