Quantcast
Steel shot and home defense - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 11, 2015, 11:02 PM   #1
USAF_Vet

Steel shot and home defense

This question is inspired from my lead ammo ban thread over in legal. Got me thinking, lead ammo has been banned in shot for water fowl hunting for years now. I haven't been goose or duck hunting in years, so I don't even have any steel shot, so this is purely academic.

How well would steel shot perform at close range, home defense distance? I know lightweight shot isn't ideal, although a lot of people still swear by 7.5 and 8 shot for home defense. I'm not going to argue whether or not its the best choice, as I prefer 00 buck and 1 oz. slugs.

Does steel shot perform better at point blank than it's lead counterpart? Would steel make a lightweight shot more viable as an HD load?
Old March 11, 2015, 11:25 PM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

IMO: No.

Steel shot is lighter for any given diameter then lead shot.
So it takes larger steel shot to equal lead shot penetration on game.

The same would apply regarding your question.

Some of the other non-lead shot types are denser then lead, and could be a viable alternative.

Bismuth, or Tungsten, or Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote, etc. would be better then lead, and far better then steel.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hevi-...ion/706224.uts

Now, let's not get started on the 'birdshot is for birds' argument.

As a former KS Hunter Safety Instructor, I'm here ta tell ya a 1 1/4 oz #6 Pheasant load in the belly and you are DRT when you are 10 miles from help.

At living room distance, a 12 ga will put a rat hole in you, no matter what shot size you are using.

rc
Old March 11, 2015, 11:40 PM   #3
pps

If lead ever gets banned, I'll ignore the ban.
Old March 12, 2015, 12:08 AM   #4
HB

I think it would be fine in most instances though I do wonder about ricochet often. I only use steel for geese and never really seen anything to suggest it bounces badly.

Its my understanding that steel shot is softer than many other steels but I wouldn't want to shoot a steel plate with it at close range.

Anybody have experience with steel shot and ricochet?

EDIT: Steel BBB is still some serious stuff fyi. I'm too young to have hunted waterfowl with lead but have shot other game with steel and lead. Lead kills much better, even on doves.

HB
Old March 12, 2015, 01:02 AM   #5
nathan

The BB steel shots are pretty deadly on close range. NO doubt about it...
Old March 12, 2015, 10:03 AM   #6
chas08

I think rcmodel nailed it. Not much you can add to that. I will say that steel T-Shot has some pretty impressive penetration on geese. Pass throughs are very common at ranges in excess of 40 yards.
Old March 12, 2015, 10:28 AM   #7
WestKentucky

The only potential benefit steel has over lead is also its biggest setback...that it is lighter and wouldn't carry energy very well through a wall or other objects. If a person lives in an apartment or very dense population of garden homes then penetration through the neighbors place could be a concern. Even at that though, lead mushrooms and sheds weight as it impacts objects expending it's energy whereas steel pretty much drills a hole and keeps going. In an apartment type setup I think I would use #4 or #6 steel, for all other applications it's lead T shot
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old March 12, 2015, 11:06 AM   #8
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Vet View Post
Does steel shot perform better at point blank than it's lead counterpart? Would steel make a lightweight shot more viable as an HD load?
No and No.

Steel is still lighter than lead. Its sole virtue is that it's non-toxic to waterfowl, which is irrelevant to HD.
Old March 12, 2015, 01:15 PM   #9
strambo

I'll also add there is a drastic difference in terminal effect of small shot at point blank range (contact/near contact shot to belly) vs. 12ft across the room. Across the room, the pellets are all on there own and will create a shallow wound not likely to reach the vital organs.

Anyone who "swears by" birdshot for HD doesn't understand terminal ballistics IMO and hasn't had to count on it to stop an attacker determined to end them. For the attacker who is going to run no what firearm is employed (the smart ones), it is all moot.
Old March 12, 2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Dr.Rob

When I inherited a friend's HD shotgun (A Mossberg 88 with a 18 inch barrel) I was surprised to find it, and an Allen bandolier loaded with steel shot. I am not even sure that barrel was rated for steel shot.

3 inch BB steel shot. It room distance it would probably do the job, but I packed the box of shells (25, not a single one fired) up and put it in the back of my ammo stash. I will probably never use it.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:18 PM   #11
jmr40

I believe in using the largest projectiles possible in a shotgun. I'd start with 00 buck at the top of my list. If I were to ever run out of 00 Buck, I'd go though my shotgun ammo and pick the next largest size left in my inventory and work down.

I'd choose steel BBB's, BB's or #2's over lead #8 any day. But I'd not pick any as my 1st choice.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old March 12, 2015, 09:21 PM   #12
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Steel T shot will shoot right through a goose inside 40 yards and leave an exit wound. Geese are big, tough birds. That's why I use a 10 gauge with steel T on 'em. But, I'd rather be able to go back to 3" 12 gauge lead BB if I had my druthers.
Old March 12, 2015, 10:19 PM   #13
Virginian

Gonna be hard to ignore a ban if the ammo is no longer made. Ban lead because it's environmentally unfriendly. Then ban steel because it's 'armor piercing'. Makes sense to the Obamanites.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old March 13, 2015, 05:27 AM   #14
USAF_Vet

Virginian, in the back of my mind, this was rolling around. If they can get any sort of traction with rifle or pistol rounds, it's not a stretch of the intellect to assume they'd go after shot shells as well. The paranoid in me, though, says there is an easier way to go after shotguns, and that is to rescind the "sporting purposes" exemption on shotguns and they snap back to destructive devices.
Old March 13, 2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Sav .250

Size for size...............home defense.................. at a given range..... the target is put down! Even the bang sounds the same...
Old March 13, 2015, 11:23 AM   #16
TimSr

Quote:
At living room distance, a 12 ga will put a rat hole in you, no matter what shot size you are using.
Pretty much sums it up! I'm partial to #4 myself.
Old March 13, 2015, 12:32 PM   #17
Pyzon

Quote:
At living room distance, a 12 ga will put a rat hole in you, no matter what shot size you are using
I disagree, and offer a description of a high school classmate's face that tried to end it with a 12 ga. load of 7.5 lead shot.

The intended result was unsuccessful, and his appearance reminds me of The Walking Dead.....and this from a range of maybe 4"....

Light weight shot performs poorly, whether due to size or material, when compared to heavier. Why would you not choose the best ?
Old March 13, 2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Fred Fuller

Bismuth, or Tungsten, or Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote, etc. would be better then lead, and far better then steel.

^^ This ^^

In a pinch you use what you have or can get ... I don't own any steel shot loads because I don't hunt where it is required, but given my druthers I use hard lead alloy plated 00. If someone would make a full velocity HeviShot load of #1 buck (in FliteControl wads, while I'm wishing) I would sure like to try that.

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old March 13, 2015, 03:46 PM   #19
jmr40

Quote:
If bird shot is all you have, then make the best of it. Yes, it has worked, but I think it foolish to plan on using it when buckshot is available with no down sides.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old March 13, 2015, 05:54 PM   #20
Virginian

A 14 year old girl in the Dakotas ended two bad guy's lives when they broke in with her Daddy's 870 and two trap loads. When the newspeople asked her what she was thinking she replied "Shouldn't be too hard. A LOT bigger than a clay pigeon." I loved it.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old March 13, 2015, 09:19 PM   #21
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Quote:
A 14 year old girl in the Dakotas ended two bad guy's lives when they broke in with her Daddy's 870 and two trap loads. When the newspeople asked her what she was thinking she replied "Shouldn't be too hard. A LOT bigger than a clay pigeon." I loved it.
Bwaaaaaa, ha, ha, ha! Classic!
Old March 13, 2015, 10:12 PM   #22
Sheepdog1968

I see no reason to worry. I am sure I can find some kind of shotgun ammo that would do the job. Plus if lead were banned there would be a market for buckshot made out of other metals.

Gunfacts.info Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others.
Old March 14, 2015, 01:59 PM   #23
g.willikers

Self defense, whether it's in the home or elsewhere, is more about knowing how to fight than the ammo choice.
At the distances being considered here, just about any weapon would probably do.
Steel shot should not let you down any more than any other.
If the first one doesn't do the job, keep shooting and aim better.
Old March 14, 2015, 04:45 PM   #24
rule303

Did you ever shoot something hard with your BB gun as a kid? The steel BB's ricochet like crazy, and sting pretty good when launched from a Red Ryder at 350fps. Imagine a couple hundred of them shot at 1300fps ricocheting off of everything inside the house...
Old March 14, 2015, 05:33 PM   #25
Shadow 7D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule303 View Post
Did you ever shoot something hard with your BB gun as a kid? The steel BB's ricochet like crazy, and sting pretty good when launched from a Red Ryder at 350fps. Imagine a couple hundred of them shot at 1300fps ricocheting off of everything inside the house...
^^^
This, in HD, the 'secondary' and 'collateral damage' is NOT something you can just shrug about, after all, how would you feel if you, yes, defended your family, but put your wife, or childs eye out with a ricochet? What the famous line that Ralphie get told???
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.