Quantcast
Shotgun for expeditions - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #1
Readyrod

Shotgun for expeditions

I like reading books about expeditions and explorers. A lot of these guys lived off or partially off the land. They did a lot of hunting. I was wondering what gauge and shotgun you folks would recommend for a modern day expedition in say the North or the Himalayas or wherever. This would be for getting small game and birds for the pot.
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

I would take a 12 ga. It can take most any game (and non-game) animal on the planet and ammo is fairly easy to come by.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #3
jmr40

I'd carry a 22 rifle. 500 rounds will fit into the same size container as 25 shot shells. Perfect for small game, and useable for deer size game with close range head shots. Not an option if protection from large predators, but that wasn't one of your criteria. If it were a 2nd large caliber rifle carried by someone else in the party would suffice. While the shotgun should be more effective the logistics of carrying enough ammo to last very long could be problematic.

If resupply at regular intervals were an option then I like my 870 turkey gun. The 21" barrel is compact and light enough. While not perfect for wingshooting it is useable. They are threaded for a variety of different choke tubes which makes it much more versatile with a variety of shot shells as well as slugs. It would be the perfect survival shotgun in my opinion.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #4
Readyrod

I think most of these explorers carried a small .22ish caliber and a .30cal as well for hunting game. I'm thinking birds here. Tho I guess a shotgun would work for small game too. To give you an idea of background I'm currently reading about Sven Hedin's explorations in Central Asia.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #5
oneounceload

Drilling - 12 gauge in one barrel, 30-06 or bigger in another, .22 or 22 hornet in the third

you're GTG for just about anything

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #6
PapaG

Savage 24v in 222 or 223 and 20 ga. Also a 22lr adapter.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

For foraging food?
A 20 ga pump with choke tubes, 95% birdshot shells, 5% slugs for ammo supply.

You can carry about 20% more ammo for a 20 ga then for a 12 ga.

And maybe a .22 rifle if you have a gun bearer?

Going into north country where big bears live?
I'd go with a 12 GA pump and a couple 10 rounds of Brenneke slugs.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; Yesterday at 11:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #8
Virginian

What ever was legal in whatever country I was in for starters. If I was anywhere near ISIS I would carry an M-60 and a suicide pill.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #9
Cooldill

I'd carry a drilling in 12 gauge, with .300 Win Mag, and .22 LR for the other bbl's.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #10
rcmodel
Contributing Member

The OP ask about foraging small game & birds for the pot with a shotgun.

NOT, fighting ISIS, or killing bison or bears with a .300 Magnum or 30-06/.223 Drilling.

rc
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #11
silicosys4

I would want a 20 gauge single shot break open, and a good mix of no. 4 birdshot and some buckshot, with a few boxes of brenneke slugs.

Light enough to carry all day, simple and reliable, and able to take small and big game.
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #12
DNS

12 gauge of course and i'm thinking a Citori or Onyx.
Old Today, 01:16 AM   #13
Inebriated

For the purposes of putting food on a fire? I really wouldn't mind having a simple 12 gauge single-shot and a rifled .22LR/WMR chamber adapter. Or even a 9mm adapter. .22LR/WMR/9mm will all be easy to carry in bulk, just fine for 25 yards or so, and reasonably accurate. Dave Canterbury has a few videos on chamber adapters. It will offer you the ability to use a much more compact cartridge for shooting things that aren't flying.

Last edited by Inebriated; Today at 02:41 AM.
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #14
1stmarine

410 and 22lr combos are the ideal backpacking shotgun. carry lots of amo with much less weight and it is very effective. bot can take deer and hogs w/o problems at realistic ranges. Poachers kill all sort of things. All it takes a bullet in the occipital region. with a slug the 410 is great for neck shots.
Bot are more accrate than the average shotgun. Zero recoil and light to carry.
The 410 can also fire 45 laods. A 12 or 20 ou can be great too and can take insers for other claibers but they are much heavier.
Old Today, 02:39 AM   #15
Dr.Rob

12 ga. but ammo is heavy/bulky. A Savage combo gun like .22 over a 20 ga might be better.
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #16
USAF_Vet

Me? I think I'd want a Savage .223 over 12 ga.
Capable of taking everything from small game, birds, deer and since you mentioned the Himalayas, the occasional yeti that crosses your path.

Brown coats unite!