Quantcast
Does anyone here have a Mossberg 930 or Remington Versamax that runs 100%? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 20, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1
1KPerDay

Does anyone here have a Mossberg 930 or Remington Versamax that runs 100%?

I'm considering a semi-auto for 3-gun for when I want to shoot a different division than Heavy...

I have an 1100 and am considering trying to make it suitable but it'll be a little fiddly to load even with the EZloader thing.

I have personally never seen a 930 or versamax make it through a match without multiple problems, but I'm sure there have to be good ones out there, or they wouldn't be so popular.

I'm considering trying to learn to load twins so whatever I choose will have to be suitable. the 1100 has a rearward-facing ledge on the back of the forend that is really in the way for that.
Old May 21, 2015, 03:17 PM   #2
rule303

My 930 is a 28" field model, so probably not exactly the feedback you are looking for, but it runs 100% with any load from 7/8oz at 1100fps to 3" slugs. Well over 10,000 rounds through it with no breakages. It will start to run sluggish if not cleaned every 4-500 rounds depending on how dirty the ammo is.
Old May 21, 2015, 06:07 PM   #3
1KPerDay

thanks
Old May 21, 2015, 06:37 PM   #4
LocoGringo

I'm sure you already know, but, if you don't "load 2", you don't stand a chance of winning...IF that's your goal.

Not sure why you're not looking at a Benelli M2, but they can be had for a competitive price if you're patient and keep looking. I bought mine off of Gunbroker last July 4 for $930 shipped, brand new in the box. Keep your eyes open and they're out there. However, if you don't like Benelli for some reason, ignore this entire paragraph.
Old May 21, 2015, 07:15 PM   #5
oneounceload

Beretta makes some of the better gas guns out there. You might want to look for used 303, 390, 391s to stay within a reasonable budget.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old May 22, 2015, 12:44 PM   #6
1KPerDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoGringo View Post
I'm sure you already know, but, if you don't "load 2", you don't stand a chance of winning...
Dunno about that... plenty of the top guys still weak-hand load from caddies. They're just fast as hell.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:18 AM   #7
LocoGringo

I went to the Rockcastle Pro/Am last year and the top shooters I saw were doing load 2. Some are doing load 4, but I don't see me doing that without a lot of serious practice. In talking with Jesse Tischauser, I don't see how anyone will be able to keep up with traditional caddies vs. load 2 or load 4.

You might be right about some of the top shooters still using traditional caddies for now, but I'd be surprised if they're still using them 2 or 3 years from now. Load 2 is just too easy to get right and traditional caddy loading takes so much practice to be efficient or fast at the same level.

Anyway, not wanting to argue and hijack your thread. Good luck with your search for a new shotgun. I do enjoy hearing about your non-traditional firearms use for 3-gun.
Old May 24, 2015, 01:56 AM   #8
1KPerDay

You're probably right
Old May 25, 2015, 05:10 PM   #9
browningguy

I've been shooting a Rhythm model in 3 gun for two years now without a single failure. That's just a 930 with a longer tube and fancy stock, it's replaced my M2 as my regular 3 gun shotgun.