Quantcast
On Fighting Shotguns.... - Page 20 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 7, 2014, 02:34 PM   #476
tiamat

If we're talking about fighting shotguns, (or any shotguns for that matter), I'm not sure how one would be expected to hold a flashlight at arms length away from their body while maintaining any sort of useful grip on a shotgun for any length of time. I'm of the opinion that a weapon mounted light is more effective.

That cowboy action shooter's reloading method is neat, and she sure is quick with it - lots of practice I'm sure. But again, I hardly think someone is going to be holding 2 shells in their offhand palm, and two more shells in between their remaining fingers. Useful for a shooting course perhaps, but I don't see this method being employed in a fighting situation.
Old January 7, 2014, 03:29 PM   #477
strambo

Quote:
That cowboy action shooter's reloading method is neat, and she sure is quick with it - lots of practice I'm sure. But again, I hardly think someone is going to be holding 2 shells in their offhand palm, and two more shells in between their remaining fingers. Useful for a shooting course perhaps, but I don't see this method being employed in a fighting situation
It could work in a fighting situation (or a similar method, juggling all those shells at once wouldn't make sense in a fight). The shells don't start in her hand, they come from her belt holder. Something goes bump in the night, grab the shotgun. No immediate need to shoot? Take 3 seconds to snap the belt on that was stored next to the shotgun.

I have a similar idea going on, but it isn't a belt, nor is it for shotgun. I have a bullet proof vest under my bed with one side attached so I can put it on with one hand. It has an empty pistol holster, AR magazine, pistol magazine, spare light and flex cuffs.

If I don't have time to grab it, no loss it just sits there under the bed, that's life. If I do have time, it seriously upgrades my protection and response capability.

The molle "war belts" can be a handy and inexpensive way to keep some spare ammo, light, cell etc. handy for quick donning if given a chance.

Again, no downside, you grab gun/light 1st anyway then proceed from there. Heck, if I could afford it and had the time, I'd kit up in full armor, helmet, and night vision with flashbangs. The threat posed by multiple armed persons in a structure is the same in your house as in a house in Iraq or Afghanistan. Multiple armed threats are multiple armed threats, I want every advantage I can get to survive.

...I guess I'm on the opposite side of the "I have an old revolver in the nightstand to scare them off" camp I've oft-encountered with casual gun owners.
Old January 7, 2014, 08:32 PM   #478
Flintknapper

Quote:
That cowboy action shooter's reloading method is neat, and she sure is quick with it - lots of practice I'm sure. But again, I hardly think someone is going to be holding 2 shells in their offhand palm, and two more shells in between their remaining fingers. Useful for a shooting course perhaps, but I don't see this method being employed in a fighting situation.
Certainly...holding multiple shotshells in the offhand is a 'gamers' technique not appropriate for real world self defense, BUT the practice of taking a single shotshell and loading it directly into the receiver does have merit.

Ideally, you'd like to find (or maintain) cover AND have enough time to completely reload your weapon (once shot dry), but you might only have time to load a single round before needing to address a threat. In situations such as that, feeding a shell directly into the receiver and then chambering it....can be done quite swiftly.

It can be accomplished from over the top or from underneath the receiver. I prefer coming from underneath since the transition from the receiver... back to the forearm is easier/faster (for me).

Are you likely to 'shoot your weapon dry' in the average home defense scenario, who knows? But... it is an easy skill to learn and I want to have as many 'tools' in my box as I can...if I am unfortunate enough to have to defend myself or family.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:43 AM   #479
EmGeeGeorge

This is kind of interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (146.8 KB, 76 views)
Old May 5, 2014, 11:11 PM   #480
Fred Fuller

Stevens 311-R, to be specific. They were factory made for the purpose.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temNum=9960239

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old May 12, 2014, 02:44 PM   #481
PabloJ

I picked up 12ga 1942 Ithaca that US Government bought for $31.61. It was shipped to Raritan Arsenal after purchase. I have no use for this gun, but piece of history is kool thing to own for sure.
LGS has 20"? CYL choked fixed barrel (often called non-takedown by fans of the brand) Winchester 1897 riot gun. It has Winchester plus other stuff struck on the slide rail so it's real ole' boy. The gun has hole drilled near heel of stock long ago likely to keep it falling off rack which would happen if gun was carried in rail car for security detail use. That gun is kool too.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:19 AM   #482
Corbin

Well, it took me an hour and a half, but I got through the whole thread. LOL

I've owned several types of shotguns over the years. Some are more fun/comfortable for me to shoot than others. My current favorite is the Saiga 12, but that doesn't mean it's what I choose for HD. Yeah, the Saiga is very fast and I'm able to use it fairly well, but I still look to my Mossberg pump for home defense. Fairly minimal on accessories too, not like the Saiga.

I have a little bit of a special consideration when it comes to what works for me and what doesn't. 25 plus years ago, while in the Military, I received a 12 ga wound to my right palm that took out the wrist and part of the forearm. My hand was touching the muzzle when it fired (attempting a disarm on a BG). They were (miraculously) able to save the hand, though I have limited use/grip. Being right handed, I had to learn to do more stuff with my left hand, including shooting.

With a fused right wrist, I almost REQUIRE a pistol grip stock if I'm going to attempt shooting with my right hand. Otherwise, I'd just have a finger or thumb inside the trigger guard without having a hold on the stock. So I tend to fire things left handed. Of course, this makes getting a good grip on the forend difficult (hardly any strength in right hand). I'm looking at a pistol grip on the forend, but haven't liked any of the ones I've handled yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Reloading for me is typically done with my "strong hand", though that may be against most instructor's teaching. I end up dropping more shells trying to use my offhand to load than anything. I do OK handling magazines with my offhand, but that's more for rifles than shotguns. As I mentioned, I enjoy shooting my Saiga 12, but I don't know that I'd be prone to grabbing a couple extra mags when I hear something go bump at 3AM. So my Saiga stays in the gun safe.

My HD Mossberg started out as the 500 breacher PGO setup, but having used a PGO shotgun before, I wanted to change that out ASAP. The breacher 500 reminds me of the 590, in that it has a thicker barrel and the 590 style magazine cap, only it's in an 18.5" length. Just an observation.

I added a +1 choate mag extension and "enhanced" safety tab, as well as velcro on the left side to accept a "side saddle", though I typically don't have one mounted. Still debating a weapon mounted light. It currently has a pistol grip choate (I think) stock on it. Without going to a folding stock, I'm not familiar with any other stock that also has a PG on it. Suggestions? I'd be willing to go with a folding style, though I doubt I'd ever have it folded. LOL

Thanks for the informative thread.

Last edited by Corbin; July 29, 2014 at 02:23 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:08 PM   #483
Sheepdog1968

The way I have seen, was trained a shotgun used with a handheld light is by using a Harries technique in which the forearm rests on the wrist. If you need to pump, you then simple invert your wrist and pump as normal with the flashlight still in your hand. In doing so, the bulb, beam of the flashlight is pointing at you. It is not ideal but neither is a gunfight. Yes, a weapons mounted light on long guns is the best way to go.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old August 10, 2014, 03:04 AM   #484
Conelrad

An old friend for a desert dweller

20-year or so old 590 Milsgun, flat finish wood full stock. 9 rounds, simple sling, nothing else added. Usually fed with high-pellet OO buck.

Kinda' beat up nowadays, many miles in a truck and lots of toting.

It's dispatched wild dogs, snakes, and settled one argument without firing.

It's brother (70's vintage Monkey Wards) lives in the other part of the house.

DDG