Quantcast
Voter Roll Call robocall survey - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 7, 2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Voter Roll Call robocall survey

They've called here twice and the caller ID indicates a 202 area code. The questions are opinion on background checks and whether you own firearms and have CHL.

Anyone have an idea who they are?

PC = Groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

San Francisco who??

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; April 7, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old April 7, 2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Redacted

I would never give that information over the phone to someone I didn't know.

If you are curious, you can input the number into a Google search and usually get an answer.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:34 AM   #3
pockets

I don't answer spam robo-calls...ever...period. That is why they made caller ID.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Bigdog57

I hang up on ANY robo-call.
Lately I have been getting spam e-mails from Rand Paul, trying to hit me up for money and doing the 'hard sell'. While I may have voted for him in the upcoming election, THIS kind of nonsense can adversely affect whether that will happen. I don't like hard sell tactics, by ANYONE!
And I found the small print to 'unsubscribe' from it...... Had no idea I was "Subscribed" to anything! That ought to be illegal.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Dframe

What pockets said!
Old April 8, 2015, 09:53 AM   #6
49willys
Contributing Member

It's probably Prozanski's bozos searching for poll numbers to more easily ram thier anti-gun laws down our throats.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:57 AM   #7
627PCFan

202 is a DC area code. Go figure
Old April 8, 2015, 10:00 AM   #8
460Kodiak

Answering that question is a good way to get your home robbed. They make a list, hit them all in the same week, and then disappear.

This scenario applies to crooks, as well as politicians, or as I like to call them "other crooks".

I have no home phone, only an iphone in my pocket. If a number calls I don't know, and no message is left, I assume it's a robo-call, and I immediately block that number so my phone will not even ring if it calls back.
My screen name is the result of testosterone driven jokes between friends, excessive laughter, and a bit of alcohol. I do not live in Alaska, and I've never been attacked by a bear, though, I have had bear encounters.
Old April 8, 2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

Bigdog57,

Be careful of even unsubscribing. I've received any number of emails that I've turned over to the anti phishing group for imitating known brands, companies, groups after examining the embedded links.

I don't do mobile, but on my desktop computer I let the cursor hover over the link. This brings up the actual link information in the left bottom corner of the window. If the embedded link actual information is different from what is in the email, that is suspicious. If several links all go to the same place that is a clincher and I report it.

PC = Groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

San Francisco who??
Old April 8, 2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Twiki357

I too would not answer those questions. You never know who it is asking and with all the spoofed numbers that show up on caller ID, it isn’t worth the risk or the hassle once they know they have a valid number and sell it to all the other scumbags.

I solved the problem by turning off the ringers on all my phones. The scumbag callers (actual and robo) hang up when the answering machine kicks in and I never know they called until I check the missed calls list. A legitimate caller will leave a message. When I hear a message being recorded, I will answer the phone. Out of curiosity (And boredom) I started keeping a list. Since January 1st (A little over 3 months) I’ve had 87 hang-ups by unknown callers. Works great.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:42 PM   #11
Drail

I can still remember marveling at the introduction of cell phones and carrying one around all day until I figured out that they were becoming just another commercial sales/marketing tool. Now I am starting to think I don't really need or want a cell phone any more. I lived most of my life without one. The last three I have owned worked about half the time. Electronic junk.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:49 PM   #12
TRX

> spam e-mails from Rand Paul

Maybe. A telemarketing or "survey" service will say anything their employers specify.

There have been a couple of local elections where it was claimed the other side hired phone services to annoy voters in the name of the other candidate.
Old April 8, 2015, 06:52 PM   #13
Drail

Yup. For years I put up with the stupid calls from the "State Police" asking for donations. Turns out they were all from a "marketing" outfit who contracted with the State Police. And the actual State Police told me they didn't know anything about it.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:56 AM   #14
scratcherky

Try signing up for "NOMOROBO". Works great.
Old April 9, 2015, 12:29 PM   #15
ku4hx

We NEVER give out ANY info over the phone.

Nomorobo is not available to us. We were getting so many robocalls per day we just stopped answering the phone. For the most part the robocalls are now hangups after the default answering machine message. We now can usually count on one call per day at around 1800.

If it's a legitimate call, we respond to the caller as is appropriate. If it's urgent we call back immediately. The thing about emergencies is you can't very often save a life by answering a call immediately anyway so we're comfortable filtering all calls. Plus we have the option to pickup in the middle of the message being left.
Old April 9, 2015, 03:24 PM   #16
JSH1

Ditch the landline. I very rarely get any telemarketing on my cell phone. Any spam calls I get are from collections agencies looking for the former owner of the number. Those usually die off after a few weeks.
Old April 9, 2015, 04:02 PM   #17
alexander45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH1 View Post
Ditch the landline. I very rarely get any telemarketing on my cell phone. Any spam calls I get are from collections agencies looking for the former owner of the number. Those usually die off after a few weeks.
This right here land lines are telemarketing cancer , with that said I would be half way tempted to say yes and tell every one to say yes Just so when the antis get the numbers it's like look look at all of these MILLIONS of gun owners and quake in fear you silly silly dingle dork
Old April 9, 2015, 05:14 PM   #18
garymc

My only concern about not answering nosy questions like that is that they'll approach the legislature with polling information that honestly shows that almost nobody owns guns. Or some other such misinformation.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:51 PM   #19
splattergun

I give them conflicting answers. Just my contribution to invalidate such polls.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:13 PM   #20
rugerman

I normally let my answering machine screen my calls. If I am expecting a call I will answer and if it's a "survey" I ask them how much they are paying for my answers, when they say nothing I tell them that i DON'T ANSWER stupid polls and please take me of their call list and next time to check the no call list before they call.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:51 PM   #21
danez71

Quote:
Lately I have been getting spam e-mails from Rand Paul, trying to hit me up for money and doing the 'hard sell'. While I may have voted for him in the upcoming election, THIS kind of nonsense can adversely affect whether that will happen.

While I agree with what I think your underlying sentiment is.... I find it disheartening that you'd Not vote for someone just because they robocalled you.

Vote the issues.

Ask yourself, Is the goal to get more states to support the 2A or to voluntarily handover to the Anti's one state at a time?

The US was founded because people ran away and left,... However, the Constitution came to be because we STOPPED RUNNING AND FOUGHT for our Rights.
Old April 9, 2015, 10:26 PM   #22
OilyPablo

Yep 202 area code........could be NRA could be ??? I don't answer.
Old April 10, 2015, 12:02 PM   #23
Bigdog57

Quote:
Lately I have been getting spam e-mails from Rand Paul, trying to hit me up for money and doing the 'hard sell'. While I may have voted for him in the upcoming election, THIS kind of nonsense can adversely affect whether that will happen.

While I agree with what I think your underlying sentiment is.... I find it disheartening that you'd Not vote for someone just because they robocalled you.

Vote the issues.

Said 'can', not 'will'. Depends on THE ISSUES and other factors. I look at the whole ball of wax, and if I find someone I feel is better, they get my vote. I am no longer a Republican, due to their abandonment of their constituency and purposely throwing two major elections. I am a "Constitutional Conservative". And yes, bad policies definitely affect voting, both ways.
Old April 10, 2015, 03:16 PM   #24
george burns

My outgoing message says that any telemarketer or cold caller calls will not be put through to me. I can see who it is on the TV or computer for the past several years, as Comcast gives you that feature free, "although they rob you blind for all their services".
Even though the party calling doesn't know that I actually will hear it, the ones that are "live" callers usually hang up. Also you can "block" the call once you have the number by adding up to 25 numbers to a blocked caller list.
It's really scary to see how many lines that some of these company's have for this use. They can call back 5-10 times on different lines.
I find that after about a month of blocking them, they stop calling. Cursing or whistling used to work, but with these robo dialers it's a waste of time.
Old April 10, 2015, 04:03 PM   #25
danez71

Bigdog.... I'm with you. I didn't mean any kind of attack.

I've been realizing over that past several years that I'm more of a libertarian at heart.

Ask yourself, Is the goal to get more states to support the 2A or to voluntarily handover to the Anti's one state at a time?

The US was founded because people ran away and left,... However, the Constitution came to be because we STOPPED RUNNING AND FOUGHT for our Rights.