Quantcast
removable hammer spur - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 20, 2015, 01:46 PM   #1
alexander45

removable hammer spur

Just seen a video from a taurus booth and they have a new m85 with a removable hammer spur it seems to twist out but pop straight back in. Any thoughts ?
Found this pic of it
Old January 20, 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
alexander45

Another with the hammer out
Old January 20, 2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Cooldill

Sort of looks like an answer to a problem no one asked, much like most of Taurus other "innovations".
Old January 20, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
MikeJackmin

Clever. These folks come up with a lot of interesting ideas.

Offhand that looks like it might come free a bit too easily, but it's hard to say without handling one.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old January 20, 2015, 02:03 PM   #5
alexander45

In the video (I'm trying to find a linkable version) he had to give it a easy but positive twist to get it to come out
Old January 20, 2015, 02:05 PM   #6
alexander45

And people seem to buy gimmicky stuff by the truck load "cough cough judge/governer" this seems a great many times more useful then that brick
Old January 20, 2015, 02:16 PM   #7
ArchAngelCD

It's hard to tell in the video but it does look a little flimsy. I agree, it seems like an answer to a question no one asked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hurZySpLYAo
Old January 20, 2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Walkalong

Kind of neat, but would not want it on a carry gun, and definitely don't want the lock in the hammer. I can't get past that one.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Merwin Hulbert made many revolvers with folding hammer spurs many years ago. A spring normally kept the spur forward against the body of the hammer. To cock the hammer you reached up with your thumb and pulled back on the hammer spur against the action of the spring. With your thumb on the spur, you cocked the gun normally.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:58 PM   #10
alexander45

I wouldn't worry about the taurus lock the same one is on my little break action it's just a set screw with a ball detent to stop it from cominn all the way out and just keeps you from cocking the gun the "key" is just a security style a Allen wrench with a hole in the middle all ya do is leave it unlocked unlike the s&w one
Old January 20, 2015, 03:28 PM   #11
WestKentucky

Taurus lock is far better than most others in that it's simple and out of the way. Same can't be said for some others....looking your way Crickett Rifle.... My immediate though was that it would be really nice if they used their lock to attach the spur. Maybe hook it on one end and use the lock/screw to hold it in. I know taurus innovations are kinda gimmicky and on the fringes But they are doing more than other folks are.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old January 20, 2015, 04:30 PM   #12
oldbear

It's a neat idea, but what Taurus really needs to do is fix there base product line, there Q.C. inspections, and finally there customer service.
Old January 20, 2015, 04:36 PM   #13
alexander45

Quote:
be really nice if they used their lock to attach the spur
they kinda did judging by the size of the hole I bet the ball detent comes from the same parts bin as the one that holds the lock in
Old January 20, 2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Sav .250

As with a lot of things. Those folks who ever though/wanted one. Well, now they can buy one.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:54 PM   #15
Old Fuff

I like the Taurus internal lock.

You screw it all of the way out (on position). Put a drop of epoxy resin on the threads, screw it back in (off position), and then set the gun aside for a few hours. Works like a charm.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:10 PM   #16
oldbear

Old Fuff, thank for the COOL tip.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:29 PM   #17
Old Fuff

Remember to wipe the extended (on position) safety's thread with a Q-Time soaked with degreaser, and don't overdo the epoxy adhesive. It doesn't take much to accomplish what you want to do. Use another Q-Tip and degreaser to wipe off any excess epoxy before it sets.
Old January 21, 2015, 01:51 AM   #18
Twiki357

Maybe Taurus is just trying to attract all the S&W owners who mutilate their hammer spurs.
Old January 21, 2015, 05:22 PM   #19
BSA1

While I detest the internal lock the Taurus design seems well thought out and trouble free. If it wasn't the Taurus bashers would be posting complaints about it. The only issue I have had with it is the gun came from the factory dry as a bone. 3 or 4 drops of Breakfree permanently solved any problems with it.

As for the removable hammer spur I think it is a great idea. I realize that most forum members consider carrying a J frame revolver for self-defense as passť. The hammer spur can get caught in the sock when ankle carried, poke in the side when carried IWB and can wear the inside of coat linings.

Hammers without spurs are great for pocket carry especially in a heavy coat in the winter.

While Taurus has quality control issues S&W has many if not more. There are numerous posts on over tightened barrels for example.
Old January 21, 2015, 05:37 PM   #20
Old Fuff

Quote:
Maybe Taurus is just trying to attract all the S&W owners who mutilate their hammer spurs.
They are a very progressive outfit. On some models they offer factory mutilated hammers for those who aren't into do-it-yourself.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Jim K

Actually, not a bad idea; it beats cutting off the hammer spur then regretting it as some posters have done. (Several have wanted to know if a new spur can be built up with weld, or the old one welded back!)

Jim
Old January 22, 2015, 09:10 PM   #22
Waveski

That looks like a part which is itching to be lost. The spring loaded hammer spur described by Old Fuff makes more sense.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:13 AM   #23
rhinoh

I think it is a cool idea. I'd go for it.
I prefer to cock a revolver when playing at the range's plinking pit, but if it is going in my pocket when done then I'd like the spur off.

I would hope that the spur is available from parts at low cost, as I'm sure I'd lose it within a few weeks

What would be really cool would be a little spot to store it in the bottom of the grip.
Old January 23, 2015, 10:22 AM   #24
chicharrones
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiki357 View Post
Taurus owners mutilate their spurs, too.
Old January 23, 2015, 10:27 AM   #25
chicharrones
Contributing Member

I gave that detachable spur about 30 seconds of thought, and all I can figure it's good for is keeping it detached while carrying the gun.

Of course, if one wanted a "dual purpose" revolver I guess they could keep that spur in their pocket for when they wanted to go to the range and use the spur.

So, really what we have here is a bobbed spur gun that still has its single action sear intact. How about Taurus simply do a slightly longer version of this?