Quantcast
Fresh Leather! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 22, 2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Cooldill

Fresh Leather!

Hey everyone!

I got a package in the mail earlier today. It's my new Simply Rugger Silver Dollar Pancake holster from maker Rob Leahy out of Prescott, Arizona! I also got one of his excellent "Most Versatile" ammo pouches. Below are my initial impressions with a couple of pictures for dramatic effect. I am not new to Simply Rugged products, this is my second holster from them. Thanks for looking!

I got this Silver Dollar Pancake for my new Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special. This is a great gun, with plenty of punch. It fills a place in my arsenal as being a cold weather CCW piece as well as auxiliary home defense handgun, but I think it will get the most use (in the coming summer anyway) as a trail and camp gun. The Bulldog weighs only 19.5 ounces unloaded, but packs five shots of convincing .44 special firepower that will be able to handle anything I come across in the woods of Eastern Kansas, be it four legged or two legged threats... and even no legged threats; CCI makes a great shotshell round in .44 special/magnum that has a higher payload than the .38/.357 shells... should be excellent snake medicine!

Upon ordering this holster, I specified it be made with the natural tan un-dyed leather Rob offers. I really like the looks of this, and prefer natural leather for most uses. One thing to note, this stuff smells amazing! I noticed that about my other Simply Rugged holster, truly a wonderful smell. I also asked for a leather hammer strap on the gun. The holster probably doesn't need it, but it's just a little extra security for when I'm walking in the thick brush and crossing creeks and whatnot. You will see in the photos below that the hammer strap has a long "tail" that hangs below the snap. This is purposeful- it is designed for a fast draw. On the draw, you whip your hand up in a karate-chop motion and the extension lets you catch the strap, breaking the snap and freeing the gun in one fluid motion. It works very well, and I'm glad I paid the $15 for it even if I'll probably never need it.

As I mentioned, I decided to also order a "most versatile" ammo pouch from Mr. Leahy. VERY nice little accessory. It's designed for double action revolvers and is made to hold a single speed strip. It fits a six-round .44/.45 speed strip or an eight-round .38/.357 strip, among others. The pouch cuffs around the belt, so is an easy on and off and is secured by the snap in front. I found it very easy to retrieve the speed strip from the pouch, and the entire thing is much more compact and convenient vs. a speedloader and associated bulky pouch, and the reload isn't much slower if you practice. Highly recommended!

Okay, so here are the pictures:

Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake & Most Versatile Pouch on a Beltman 1.5" Bullhide belt

Charter Arms Bulldog w/ holster & pouch, ammo shown is Corbon 200 grain DPX .44 specials

I have to say one thing, even though I've had this rig for only a little over an hour, I REALLY LIKE IT!!! Being so new, it's quite tight. I'll be breaking it in tonight with plenty of drawing. The leather on the holster is super thick and strong, 8-9 oz steer shoulder. Should hold up to many years of use quite well to say the least. Once broken in, retention should be ideal. Being a pancake style holster, it keeps the gun tight at your side and up out of the way. This reduces fatigue and makes the firearm feel like an extension of the body, not a bulky inconvenience. These type holsters truly make carrying these guns a joy.

Rob Leahy makes quality gun leather, and it's all in the name- these are rock solid, no frills holsters made for rugged use and wear. They aren't fancy, but aren't meant to be. If you are in the market for this style of holster, you will not be disappointed if you choose Simply Rugged. This isn't my first holster from this company, and it certainly won't be the last!

Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Old May 23, 2015, 11:58 AM   #2
show_me_2nd

I have 3 Simply Rugged holsters now, purchased over the last 3 years. When I was holster shopping I always came back to SR for the things you wrote about. Very happy with all my purchases.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Cooldill

Yeah they are awesome! I'm breaking my holster in now, using some plastic bags wrapped around the gun then stuffed in the holster.
Old May 24, 2015, 03:57 AM   #4
Lucky Derby

Very nice. I've been happy with the holsters I've gotten from Rob.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:49 AM   #5
Cooldill

Thanks! I wore this rig today for a while, it's excellent and is breaking in nicely.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:38 AM   #6
bannockburn

Cooldill

Nice set-up all the way around. Also I'm another fan of Bianchi Speed Strips.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Cooldill

Thanks! Boy the more you wear some holsters, the more you like them!

This is one of those situations LOL!
Old May 27, 2015, 11:13 AM   #8
46Slick

I've got 5 Simply Rugged holsters. You can see that I keep coming back to quality. I use IWB so I have ordered the optional straps. The holster that I ordered for my Sig P229 also fits my P239 and P220.