Quantcast
First Wheel Gun Ever - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 20, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1
GoldieMI

First Wheel Gun Ever

Need some ideas on the first wheel gun
I ended up purchasing a set of 38/357 dies by accident instead of the 38 Super that I was after. That being said, I have since decided that I should have a 38/357 wheelie in my collection to take advantage of the curiosity.

Looking for some recommendations
Not looking to break the bank as I am still purchasing the correct 38 super dies to go with the 38 super 1911 this week. This would an added bonus.

not a carry piece, not a safe queen
just a break it out at the range once a month as something new in the rotation.
Old June 20, 2015, 10:45 PM   #2
cat_IT_guy

S&W 686? Full framed S&W 38/357 revolver. Versatile in ability to load up "mouse fart" 38s that dont seem to recoil much more than a 22, all the way to 357s when you want to make some noise.

Ruger GP100? Basically all the benefits of the 686, possibly not quite as good a trigger, for a bit less money.

My recommendations reflect my interests - full frame, durable, shootable (in range quantities), and quality firearm. I did not purchase for concealed carry, so small size offers no advantage IMO.
Old June 20, 2015, 10:47 PM   #3
tomrkba

Ruger GP100 with Ruger Compact grips! Add night sights, chamfer the charge holes and it's ready for use.

Open carry in a constructive way.

I do not care what your race is so long as it is "responsible gun owner".
Old June 20, 2015, 11:05 PM   #4
TfflHndn

Hard to go wrong with a Smith, new (if you don't have the "thing" about the lock) or used. Some great former police guns out there that are past their appearance prime but were not shot much so they are mechanically sound. Keep an eye out at the local GS.
Pacific Division Individual Rifle Champion '85
All-Marine Matches '85
Pacific Division Rifle & Pistol Team Gold Medalist, '87
Pacific Division Individual Pistol Silver Medal, '87
Old June 20, 2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Hondo 60
Contributing Member

Are you looking brand new? or 2nd hand??

New, I'd probably go with a Ruger.
GP-100 for 4" or 6" barrels
Sp-101 for a 2.25" or 3" barrel.

Used? I'd like to find a S&W Model 13 (blue) or a 65(stainless)
S&W has elegent profile lines, yet it's tough - not Ruger tough, but tough enough.

If you enjoy THR, why not contribute?
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old June 21, 2015, 01:10 AM   #6
Cooldill

Ruger GP100 stainless w/ 4" barrel and full size wood insert grips. Replace the front black blade with the Ruger made orange inset blade.

Greatest DA .38/.357 currently on the market IMNSHO.
Old June 21, 2015, 01:23 AM   #7
Zebraranger

Being a Ruger fan I'd recommend either a GP100 or a Security Six. Of course the SS has been discontinued for almost 30 years, they made a lot of them and there are still many out there in nice condition to be had. Although the prices have continued to go up on the Six line, they remain one of the best buys for the money and quality and still considerably lower priced than the GP100 or the S&W 686. The S&W 686 is a great revolver also, but if buying new, you can figure its going to be about $125 to $150 more than a GP100. You cant go wrong with any of the three.
Old June 21, 2015, 07:05 AM   #8
GoldieMI

Quote:
Are you looking brand new? or 2nd hand??
My favorite guns have always been used ones. I like to shoot them not display them.
My 226 is a 1981 item, my BHP is a 67' model
nothing wrong with being a 2nd or 3rd owner in my books

I see a lot of love pouring out from the Ruger folks.

Last edited by GoldieMI; June 21, 2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: double quotes
Old June 21, 2015, 07:14 AM   #9
GoldieMI

I will say this-
I have big paws so full frame automatics fit much nicer, the little ones not so much. I tend to shoot full size 5" 1911 or full size automatics like the 226 much nicer than compact or subcompact ones

I like metal guns, just something about the metal frames I like

This will not be a carry piece, it will be a range partner for me. Something that can go to range 2X a month to fire 300-600 hand loads a month. When I shoot, I like to spend 4-5 hours at a local club, putting somewhere around 1200 rds out between a number of platforms. Just my preferences instead of the half hour visit with a single piece.

See a lot of love for the 686 and GP100- seems like a safe bet to me
what about a 2nd hand Dan Wesson .357? or a 8 shot 327 S&W?
have looked at both at the LGS used.
Thank you in advance
Old June 21, 2015, 07:25 AM   #10
steady shot

As mentioned, the Ruger GP100 is a good choice. I have enjoyed mine.

Also the Ruger Security Six is a nice and can still be found at reasonable prices.

Here is one I have

A Smith and Wesson 686 is a good option as well. I have a plus model the hold 7 rounds.

All would make for a good first revolver.
Old June 21, 2015, 08:22 AM   #11
stu1ritter

How about a price range?
thanks,
Stu
Old June 21, 2015, 08:28 AM   #12
GoldieMI

Quote:
How about a price range?
Let's say less than 600.00 for a 2nd hand or 750.00 New
Old June 21, 2015, 08:28 AM   #13
HexHead

S&W Model 10 won't break the bank, easy to find and will provide miles of smiles.
Old June 21, 2015, 08:36 AM   #14
stu1ritter

At that price point, if you want small (S&W J-Frame) I would buy a new Model 60-15 which has a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. If you want medium heavy I would look for a used either 586 in blue or same gun in stainless the 686. If you want medium light I would go for a Model 19 in blue or a 65 (M&P) or 66 (Combat Magnum) in stainless. Just my thoughts.
Stu
Old June 21, 2015, 08:38 AM   #15
Ironicaintit

Aother Ruger vote. Call me crazy but, im not a huge S&W fan.
Old June 21, 2015, 09:06 AM   #16
Radagast
Contributing Member

Big hands? S&W Model 28. This was the large (.44 sized) N frame chambered in 357 magnum. It was the 'working' version of their flagship Model 27; no checkering and a low gloss finish. Heavy, durable, accurate. Found with 4 or 6 inch barrel.
If you intend to shoot a lot of magnums, then forget the K frame Models 13, 65, 19 & 66. They are not intended to fire a constant diet of magnums.
The L frame model 586 & 686 are. Rugers answer to the L frame was the GP100. All are great guns, but the N frame suits a big paw.
I would avoid the .327. lightweight frame means more discomfort when shooting. With MRSP over $1300 I doubt even a second hand one will be in your price range.
Old June 21, 2015, 09:56 AM   #17
bannockburn

New-Ruger GP100
Used-S&W Model 686
Old June 21, 2015, 10:03 AM   #18
GoldieMI

Quote:
The L frame model 586 & 686 are. Rugers answer to the L frame was the GP100. All are great guns, but the N frame suits a big paw.
Seems to be a prevailing theme here
my LGS showed me a used Heavy Barrel Dan Wesson with 8" Barrel for $500.00.
They also had a used S&W 686-6Plus 7 shot .357 mag for 650.00
Only Ruger they had was a SP101 in .357 but no GP100
Old June 21, 2015, 10:12 AM   #19
Reloadron
Contributing Member

S&W 586 or 686, there are plenty of S&W Model 19s to be had at a reasonable cost also. The Rugers are also a fine choice. In your search just make sure the revolver of your choosing (feels good in your hand) is nice and tight with a firm lockup and crisp trigger. You don't want a used gun that has been beat and is loose and worn. Lightly used is a very good way to go.

Ron
Old June 21, 2015, 10:12 AM   #20
sigsmoker
Contributing Member

If you like a heavier revolver, Ruger SP101 GP100 or a used Service, Speed, or Security Six.
Lighter, I'd go look at S&W models. My favorite all time was a Ruger Service Six in .357 with a 4 in. barrel with fixed sites. It was a straight shooter and never had a problem over thousands of rounds of all types in .357 and .38 spl.
That factory grip was a little rough on the crotch of my thumb and trigger finger. Easily changed out with a large selection of options.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:13 AM   #21
GoldieMI

Thank you everyone
I found a range reasonably close open today with a GP100 and a 686 for rent. I will go shoot those and see how I like it. Figure I will shoot some 38 as well as 357 to get a feel for it.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:37 AM   #22
BCRider

Does it have to be a double action? Try out a single action and see if you like that style of gun. And don't be surprised if you find that the only logical spot to park your pinky on an SA is under the butt end. That's where it's supposed to go.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:43 AM   #23
GoldieMI

Quote:
Does it have to be a double action?
Never fired a single or double action revolver at all...only semi autos and long guns.
So I have no preset desire for anything other than 38/357 compatability
Old June 22, 2015, 09:40 AM   #24
J-Bar

If possible, shoot a Ruger Blackhawk with your .357 Mag loads to see how it feels compared to the snubbies. If you are not specifically looking for a carry gun, and instead you are wanting something fun and accurate and comfortable to shoot, it's gonna be tough to be an old plow handled Blackhawk.
Old June 22, 2015, 10:12 AM   #25
GoldieMI

Quote:
If possible, shoot a Ruger Blackhawk with your .357 Mag loads to see how it feels compared to the snubbies.
I shot 2 4" revolvers yesterday- the GP100 and 686
looking at a few more options today with more of a chance to see some open ranges with more variety. Will look for a Blackhawk as well

I think I will bypass the snubbie route and look for something in the 4"-8" barrel length as it will be a range piece not a carry piece. I typically EDC with a 5" barrel on my 1911 chambered in 10mm so long barrel length is not an issue with me.

Thank you

Last edited by GoldieMI; June 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added comment about Blackhawk