Quantcast
Stumbled across too good of a deal to pass up - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 16, 2016, 04:28 PM   #1
vincyr

Stumbled across too good of a deal to pass up

Killing some time today at the LGS while I waited for my better half to get done working, I asked to look at a used Single Six they had under the counter. It was an older 3 screw model, a bit worn, well used but clearly not abused, and a pricetag of $119. Couldn't pass it up. Can't bring it home yet, county clerk was closed today, but I'm stoked. One thing I was wondering about, since it is a fixed sight model, is if anyone makes an adjustable replacement sight.

Sent from my X7 using Tapatalk

“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.”
― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

"What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from,say, the average voter."
– also Terry Pratchett
Old April 16, 2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Tallball

Congratulations! That is my favorite 22 handgun of all time!
Old April 16, 2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Jim Watson

A bargain.
I do not know of an adjustable sight that would not require a new front sight.
Wait until you shoot it. It might be on target from the factory.
Old April 16, 2016, 05:29 PM   #4
MIL-DOT

Nice score, you did great !! Several years ago, I decided I needed a .22 pistol in my toy box (after not having one for a few years). I decided the hell with semi-autos, and the PITA search for ammos that they will and won't cycle reliably, and I decided to go with a revolver (easy choice sine i was already on a bit of a revolver kick at the time).
The Heritage guns seemed ok, but they weren't that much cheaper than a nice used Ruger, and I decided to bite the bullet and just do it right the first time, so I set my sights on a Single Six.
As chance would have it, there was a gun show in town that weekend, and I found one single vendor with a Single Six. It turned out to be a nearly mint, early 70's, with original box and papers, as well as the 22mag cylinder, still in the red felt bag.
I got the guy to take $300, and I felt like I did pretty well. And come to think of it, that was the LAST gun show I went to that wasn't a complete waste of time and money, LOL!!!
Old April 16, 2016, 09:42 PM   #5
PabloJ

I'm glad you found a bargain, but you could have left that county clerk issue out. I fear after January of next year we all going have to see the county clerk ie. "legally marry our guns."
Old April 17, 2016, 11:10 AM   #6
bannockburn

vincyr

That's a fantastic deal on very iconic .22 single action revolver! A friend of mine gave me his Single Six years ago as he was no longer using it (use to ran trap lines with it), and has fairly decent accuracy with the factory sights, as long as I do my part.

Old April 17, 2016, 12:57 PM   #7
samuelcmm

Congrats on the find and sorry to go off topic but what is this about the county clerk needed to buy a gun I've never heard of such a thing

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old April 17, 2016, 02:15 PM   #8
vincyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelcmm View Post
Congrats on the find and sorry to go off topic but what is this about the county clerk needed to buy a gun I've never heard of such a thing

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Have to go to the county clerk with proof of purchase to put it on my permit before I can pick it up.

“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.”

"What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from,say, the average voter."
– also Terry Pratchett
Old April 17, 2016, 05:09 PM   #9
SwampWolf

QUOTE: "...Congrats on the find and sorry to go off topic but what is this about the county clerk needed to buy a gun I've never heard of such a thing..."

He lives in New York, home of the "Safe Act"; where Americans who want to buy a gun or a bigger than petite-sized Slurpee aren't to be trusted. For shame.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old April 23, 2016, 08:07 PM   #10
vincyr

Well, here she is

Shoots a little low and to the right @ 25 yards, but close enough that I don't plan on messing with the sights any. With federal bulk stuff it groups about 1.5", not so great with anything else I tried, but I think I have my new woods gun

– also Terry Pratchett
Old April 24, 2016, 12:40 AM   #11
Fishslayer

Nice snag! I'm pretty sure I would have also been unable to leave that one behind for $119.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”
Old April 24, 2016, 01:22 AM   #12
Ratshooter

Well if it shoots a little to the right just tap the rear sight to the left a little. Try some 22 mags and see if they are low. If both calibers are shooting low then just file a little off the top of the front sight. I am guessing that ruger sent the sight a little tall so it could be adjusted to hit point of aim. Thats a common practice with fixed sight guns.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old April 24, 2016, 03:05 AM   #13
SwaneeSR

Yes, nice find. For $119 it would have followed me home too.
Old April 24, 2016, 08:19 AM   #14
vincyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratshooter View Post
Well if it shoots a little to the right just tap the rear sight to the left a little. Try some 22 mags and see if they are low. If both calibers are shooting low then just file a little off the top of the front sight. I am guessing that ruger sent the sight a little tall so it could be adjusted to hit point of aim. Thats a common practice with fixed sight guns.
No mags, this one was born in 1960, pre convertible era. Like I said, the low and to the right aren't drastic(1.5" & 2" respectively), and it could just be me needing to get used to the gun. I'm going to put a few more rounds downrange before I decide what to do.

– also Terry Pratchett
Old April 24, 2016, 08:30 AM   #15
bannockburn

vincyr

Looks pretty good; money well spent!
Old April 24, 2016, 11:27 AM   #16
MedWheeler

I cannot see the pictures, but pretty much any gun can follow me home for that price. If there had been five of yours, though, all five would have come with me.
Old April 24, 2016, 03:19 PM   #17
ArchAngelCD

That revolver is probable my favorite 22s too. For the price you got a great revolver.

I don't think if we had to put handguns on our license I would have room. What a load if crap that is! Sorry you have to go through all that...
Old April 24, 2016, 03:31 PM   #18
CraigC
Contributing Member

Great! I'd buy $119 Single Sixes like that all day long!!!
http://www.sixgunner.org
Old April 25, 2016, 12:01 AM   #19
Ratshooter

Quote:
No mags, this one was born in 1960, pre convertible era. Like I said, the low and to the right aren't drastic(1.5" & 2" respectively), and it could just be me needing to get used to the gun. I'm going to put a few more rounds downrange before I decide what to do.
1960 huh? I didn't know that. I have one like it that belonged to my grandfather that was made in 1961 and it has both cylinders. He had the new lockwork installed in 1973 and I have the box ruger sent it back in plus the original parts. I haven't shot it a lot but it is eat up with cool. I love how the front of the frame tapers into the barrel instead of the flat face of the frame like they are now. For that price you can bet I would have bought it.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old April 26, 2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Armybrat

OP got a great deal on a good woods gun.
Bought mine new in 1959, and it had no magnum cylinder. Still shoots great:

Old April 26, 2016, 06:40 PM   #21
S.B.

I'm lucky enough to own a 6&1/2" Ruger single six with both cylinders.
Steve
Old April 27, 2016, 09:55 AM   #22
murf

mine likes federal automatch. great little gun. great price for a lifetime of fun. suggest you check all the frame screws and pivot screws. even on a 22lr they can work loose.

luck,

murf

festina lente
Old April 27, 2016, 11:36 AM   #23
Vern Humphrey

Quote:
Like I said, the low and to the right aren't drastic(1.5" & 2" respectively), and it could just be me needing to get used to the gun. I'm going to put a few more rounds downrange before I decide what to do.
That's fixable -- but shoot it a LOT before you start fixing.

A pair of wooden blocks and some rosin in a vise will allow you to SLIGHTlY turn the barrel to correct the windage error. Remember, when adjusting front sights, chase the bullet, not the target.

A file will take care of the elevation problem. Remember, when adjusting front sights, chase the bullet, not the target.

Remember, when adjusting front sights, chase the bullet, not the target.
Old April 27, 2016, 11:53 AM   #24
vincyr

Well, it seems that being low and right was a grip/trigger work issue. Got some pointers from an experienced SA shooter, brought my groups right where I wanted them without the touching the sights. This is by far the most fun gun I own

– also Terry Pratchett
Old April 27, 2016, 12:00 PM   #25
the Black Spot

Mine is '59 and i still use it on the trapline.