Quantcast
Snub Nose Carry Method - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 31, 2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Telemachus

Snub Nose Carry Method

I recently acquired a S&W model 30. I am interested in how other people carry snub nose revolvers and if anyone has experience carrying specifically the S&W 30. I've always kinda liked the look of shoulder holsters with small revolvers but have no experience with them. Any thoughts on IWB, OWB, or ankle carry?
Old January 31, 2016, 08:57 AM   #2
bannockburn

Telemachus

I typically carry my S&W Model 638 and Model 649 in a DeSantis SOF-TUCK IWB holster. Very comfortable to wear and extremely concealable.

Old January 31, 2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Haywood

I carry my Model 37 AIWB in a Leather Holster looking some thing like that above picture I also carry my 442 in a cheap Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster in my front off hand pocket as a Second Gun.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:17 AM   #4
stoky

10:00 cross draw in a Slide Guard IWB. I can get to it (quick) with either hand. I can get to it in the drivers seat, with the seat belt on. It can stay there as a BUG, if I carry something else at 4:00.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Upstater

With a 642, sometimes with an uncle Mike's pocket holster, sometimes in a Galco ankle rig. It all depends on what activities I'm getting into.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:30 AM   #6
MikeJackmin

Shoulder holsters have their annoyances. You need a jacket, of course, and the gun tends to move away from your hand as you reach for it. It also needs to fit well or it will quickly become uncomfortable.

None of this is insurmountable of course, and a quality example is likely to fit well once properly adjusted.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old January 31, 2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Nathanael_Greene

I pocket-carry my Airweight.
Old January 31, 2016, 12:48 PM   #8
weblance

I carried snubs for years. My last carry method was a Kangaroo Carry. It allows a heavy handgun to be carried easily, and very discreetly. The last revolver I carried weighed 28 ounces. I still use it, but now it holds a subcompact 45. Its a great holster IMHO.
Old January 31, 2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Drail

I have been carrying 3 in. snubs since the 80s. The best position I have found ( I'm right handed) for comfort and speed is at 4 o'clock - right behind my right hipbone. But that doesn't work if you are in and out of a vehicle constantly - especially the ones with deep bucket seats and a console and a huge buckle assembly sticking up. All that junk WILL be in the way and will try to dislodge your gun. For driving with a right side carry you need a crossdraw rig - or a shoulder holster to keep the gun away from the seat belts and seat. If you're a lefty wear it on your left side. Just think about where you spend most of your day. I am not a fan of pocket carry because if you go down on the deck for any reason it's goong to be difficult to draw quickly and cleanly from a pocket if you are bent at the waist. If it's on your belt you have a much better chance on my opinion. A belt holster should be very securely attached to your belt - securely enough that I could attach a line to your holster and be able to pick you up without it coming off. Most clip ons won't stand up to that test. I have gone down on the deck hard several times and believe me - when you finally stop moving - feeling your revolver still in the holster is a VERY good feeling.
Old January 31, 2016, 02:28 PM   #10
glocking26

Works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (163.7 KB, 67 views)
Old January 31, 2016, 04:07 PM   #11
Fla_dogman

I like my grip clipuploadfromtaptalk1454270832779.jpg
Old January 31, 2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Shaq

If you're set on a shoulder holster, I used this one for many years. (Bianchi 9R). I'm not sure if it's still made, but other manufacturers make a similar holster. it can't be beat for security & speed. Although it looks like it would be awkward to draw from, it's actually not. I liked the Bianchi because it had a steel wire spring instead of elastic. But, as other said, you have to wear a jacket.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8d94ab3772c5H0
Old January 31, 2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Candyman87

I use a Desantis Inside Heat for my Taurus 85 or an Aliengear 2.0. The Aliengear is much more comfortable, but much harder to reholster.

http://www.desantisholster.com/INSIDE-HEAT
Old January 31, 2016, 06:51 PM   #14
Telemachus

Thanks for all of the replies. I do usually wear a jacket and that is why I asked about shoulder carry. I will look into some of the others mentioned here.
Old January 31, 2016, 07:31 PM   #15
j1

J1

S & W mod 60 in a Bucheimer IWB holster.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:49 PM   #16
AK103K

If you really like the shoulder holsters, you cant beat the Galco Executive, or the Ken Null SMZ. Both are minimal holsters that work well. Im not a real big shoulder holster fan, but if I had to choose, the Galco would be my favorite.

SMZ

http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm

Galco

https://www.galcogunleather.com/exec..._8_2_1096.html

My pick for an ankle holster would be the Desantis Leather Ankle Holster. Ive used a lot of different ankle holsters, and these are the only ones I can wear all day without discomfort.

http://www.desantisholster.com/LEATHER-ANKLE-HOLSTER

Smart Carry is another favorite, and works well with pretty much anything. These are the most versatile holsters Ive ever used, and I wont be without one.

www.smartcarry.com
Old January 31, 2016, 10:49 PM   #17
StrawHat

Here is the rig I use to carry either my S&W 32 Hand Ejector or the Model 36-1. It is pictured with the 32 HE.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (126.1 KB, 58 views)

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old January 31, 2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Shootshellz

For IWB carry nothing beats the Bianchi #3S pistol pocket holster. It is snapped on the belt (fuggitttabout clip on holsters, they tend to follow along with your handgun when you draw). It also has a screw that allows adjustment for draw angle along with a reinforced 'mouth' for easy re-holstering. For OWB carry take a look at the Bianchi #5BH holster or the Kirkpatrick leather 2000 Challenger pancake holster. IMHO shoulder holsters are a PITA; especially when you want to ditch your jacket (like during hot weather in TN).
Old January 31, 2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Carne Frio

For J Frames, I prefer pocket carry. I use one of
these Kramer pocket holsters. Not cheap but nice.
Old February 1, 2016, 09:05 AM   #20
Telemachus

Do any of you all know how much the profile of the old I frame differs from the J frame? Do holsters that are made for J frames usually fit I frames?
Old February 1, 2016, 09:58 AM   #21
Wishoot

Typically use a DeSantis Clip Grip for my J-Frame.

I'm a huge advocate for holster use, but the trigger pull is so heavy on this gun, there's almost no way to discharge the gun without a VERY deliberate trigger pull.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:16 AM   #22
Haywood

I had a I-Frame years ago. If I remember correctly it was a "hair" smaller but fit Universal type J-Frame Holsters.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:57 AM   #23
mavracer

I almost exclusively pocket carry my snubs I figure anywhere else it's just too easy to use a little bigger gun.
Old February 2, 2016, 05:59 AM   #24
ArchAngelCD

I pocket carry a j frame daily. The revolver is in a pocket holster and only the gun in that pocket. It works for me.
Old February 2, 2016, 06:48 AM   #25
Kaeto

I carry owb right at the hip.

1911. For when 911 just isn't fast enough.

"Be wary of Strong Drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors...
And miss!" - L. Long