Quantcast
S&W Model 64-5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 21, 2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Sergei Mosin

S&W Model 64-5

I recently acquired this Model 64-5 from Robertson Trading Post. It was advertised as a slightly used surplus Virginia Department of Corrections revolver circa 1989 (BEJ serial prefix if anybody can confirm the date) and it looks to be just that - a small electropencil marking on the backstrap is the only sign of official use, otherwise it looks like a gun that was carried little and shot less. Everybody ought to have a classic K-frame...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (189.1 KB, 57 views)
Old August 21, 2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Sergei Mosin

Only one photo at a time from the phone, so here's the opposite side. I have thought in the past that there wasn't much point to a .38 revolver when you can have both with a .357, but K-frames aren't really meant for magnums. I now understand what they mean by heavy barrel - compared to the pencil barrel Smiths I've handled, the extra heft is obvious. Anyway, it's nice to finally have a Smith & Wesson revolver in the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (208.8 KB, 37 views)
Old August 21, 2016, 03:52 PM   #3
bannockburn

Sergei Mosin

Nice find! Always felt that the heavy barrel Model 10 was one of the most perfectly balanced DA revolvers ever made. That extra weight of the 4" barrel was just right for keeping the gun steady on target.
Old August 21, 2016, 04:14 PM   #4
bikemutt
Contributing Member

Nice find Sergei Mosin!

I have 64-4 that the previous owner saw fit to convert to adjustable sights, it is one of my best shooters.

There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody ó except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
Old August 21, 2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Coyote3855

Very nice. By the time I got to Robertson Trading Post, those were sold. Someone spilled the beans on the S&W Forum and the guns did not last long after that.
Old August 21, 2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Sergei Mosin

What's funny is I wasn't even looking for one. I had heard they had police surplus SIGs so I went looking to see what they had (more on that in Autoloaders when I get around to taking more pictures) and ran across the Model 64s. It had been in the back of my mind to buy myself a .38 Special (and a .38 Super) on the occasion of my 38th birthday in a couple of years and a Model 64 was a candidate - but these guns seemed like too good a deal to pass up, especially with the Virginia connection.

This may be a silly question, but is this gun rated for +P? I would think so given the existence of near-identical .357 Magnum guns and I know S&W rates current Model 64s for +P but it isn't marked that way and I want to be sure of it.
Old August 22, 2016, 03:00 AM   #7
RON in PA

Any 1957 or later Smith 38 special revolver with a model number is plus P rated even if not marked. The smaller J frames were marked +P after Smith improved them.
Old August 22, 2016, 12:01 PM   #8
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
Any 1957 or later Smith 38 special revolver with a model number is plus P rated even if not marked. The smaller J frames were marked +P after Smith improved them.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to mark something +P before there was a +P. That's like finding a coin with the date mark 400 BC.
Old August 22, 2016, 01:06 PM   #9
stiab

Quote:
Any 1957 or later Smith 38 special revolver with a model number is plus P rated even if not marked.
That's only true for steel K frames and up, not all J frames (unless so marked), as per S&W's official position on this subject, see chart below. Some unmarked J frames are +P rated, and some are not...

Last edited by stiab; August 22, 2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old August 22, 2016, 07:38 PM   #10
Sergei Mosin

Good to know, thanks. I had it out next to my GP100 earlier and it's easy to see where Ruger put the extra five ounces - the Model 64 isn't small, but that Ruger is beefy. The Ruger trigger is actually smoother, but that may be a function of use - the GP100 may have more rounds though it than the Smith. I will have to do something about that...
Old August 23, 2016, 02:59 AM   #11
RON in PA

The GP100 is better compared to the 586/686.

First time I've read anyone saying their Ruger had a better trigger pull than a Smith. You must have put many thousands of rounds through it.
Old August 23, 2016, 06:05 AM   #12
AZAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiab View Post
That's only true for steel K frames and up, not all J frames (unless so marked), as per S&W's official position on this subject, see chart below. Some unmarked J frames are +P rated, and some are not...

Thanks for that! I've been wondering if I should limit the hot stuff in my '90s 36, and it looks like I should.

Very handsome revolver, Mr. Mosin!
Old August 23, 2016, 04:22 PM   #13
fireman 9731

I agree that a 4 inch, heavy barrel K-frame is just about perfect.
Old August 23, 2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Nacho Man

Fine revolver you have there.
64-3 (1987) I got from a old man on armslist a few years ago for $350.
I added a bk grip adapter. Single action pull came in at 3.5lbs when I borrowed a gauge.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Cooldill

64's a great "do all" revolving belt pistols of special caliber. I got a Brinks gun a few years back that is tops.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #16
Blacksmoke

I bought a 64 when they first came out back in '74 or so. Pencil barrel back then. Very nice gun. The heavy barrel is an improvement over the original.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #17
Ratshooter

Bikemutt you have a perfect trail gun with that adjustable sighted model 64. You wanna sell it?

I don't have a model 64 but I do have a model 65. The same gun chambered for 357 magnum. But I pretty much just shoot 38s out of it. Those are downright pleasant to pop off.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?