Quantcast
Identity and Date of Manufacture of S&W Revolvers - Page 29 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 20, 2009, 05:53 PM   #701
Radagast
Contributing Member

Dasmi Your K38 Masterpiece falls in the serial number range for 1949, being K73122 to k84149. In 1949 a heavier barrel was introduced on the K38 so that it would have the same overall weight as the .22lr K22 Masterpiece.
Old March 20, 2009, 05:58 PM   #702
dasmi

Thanks! It's older than I thought. Looks like it has been carried a lot, bluing is worn on the muzzle and cylinder. Bore is clean and bright, no flame cutting, tight lock up, smooth trigger pull.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 20, 2009, 09:43 PM   #703
Radagast
Contributing Member

Sounds like a well used but well looked after weapon.

Last edited by Radagast; March 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:35 PM   #704
dasmi

If funds allow, and it's still there, I'm going back in a couple weeks to pick up a four inch model ten that have that is in perfect shape.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 23, 2009, 12:07 AM   #705
stana

5 screw 357

I bought this smith in about 1986, When my dept. went to autos. We were able to buy our revolver, but I bought one issued to another trp. because it was much nicer than mine and a 5 screw. I wish I had bought both. This one spent 25+ years with one trp. then was reissued to new guy. Neither one were shooters, but thats a long time to be out and about.

a. 357
b. 3 1/2
c. square
d. 6
e. adj.
f. s 1582xx (ser # appears on the butt, the rear of the cylinder and on the bbl. shroud under the extractor rod)
g. theres a 7 under the crane? in addition to a 5 digit number

Thanks Stan
Old March 23, 2009, 12:39 AM   #706
Oro

Stan, sounds like what was known at the time as a "357 Magnum" - yep, it was top dog and that was the model name. Same gun as the pre-war "Registered Magnum" and the very first gun chambered in 357 - the round and gun were designed for each other, so to speak. It is sometimes referred to nowadays, in order to avoid confusion, as a "pre-27," as it was given a model number of "27" in 1957, and that was how it was known until discontinued in, um, about 1994 I think. There have been some special runs since then, but the true 27 died a while ago.

S158xxx would be late 1956, making it one of the last "357 Magnums" made before the 27 designation. One double check - make sure you are measuring the barrel correctly all the way from the front of the cylinder and not the edge of the frame. If it's actually a 4" - it would be a "Highway Patrolman" (pre-28).

The 3.5" is a very desirable barrel length. I have a later 27 in 3.5" and just love it. Other members hear have quite a few of these and cherish them. We'd all like to see pictures of it, I assure you (feel free to post it in the main revolver forum if you feel like sharing). I (and many others) just love these guns.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:52 AM   #707
stana

Thanks

Oro thanks for the info. I too am fond of N frames. My first contact with a center fire handgun was with an issued model 28 4 inch, new in '69. It and alot of 38 wadcutter ammo taught me to shoot. The 28 and two 27's (one at a time) were my security blanket for about 17 years. My first PPC gun was a 27 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. One half inch to long for the rules, but no one ever called me on it. I let it slip thru my fingers when I need something more competitive. I'll try to post a photo of my 357 mag, but it's pretty much run of the mill after thirty years in a holster.
Old March 23, 2009, 04:08 PM   #708
CrankyOldGuy

This one has me a bit stumped.
It's obviously an S&W Model-66 (no dash) but the serial # has no letter.

a) .357 magnum
b) 2.5" barrel
c) round butt
d) 6 shot
e) Red insert front, black target rear (no white outline)
f) sn: 594XX (crane and butt have same # with no letter prefix)
g) Mod66

There is a sideways S on the crane under the SN and another S on the latch-side near the rear of the butt.
It does not have the SS sights of very early no dash 66s, these are SS w/red insert front and blackened rear.
It appears to have the satin-chromed carbon-steel trigger and hammer rather than the very early SS (changed due to galling)

Any ideas from the Gurus?

Thanks!
Old March 23, 2009, 04:40 PM   #709
rlscharf

S&W 22LR Revolver

a) .22 LR
b) 6"
c) wood square
d) 6
e) fixed (I think)
f) K 12555
g) ?

I got this weapon in exchange for a set of Binoculars, just wondering what exactly I have. I know it shoots VERY well.
Old March 23, 2009, 04:48 PM   #710
nc76

5 shot .32 S & W Double Action
top break auto eject
3" barrel
Serial 25***3
blued with black plastic grips
Old March 23, 2009, 07:47 PM   #711
Radagast
Contributing Member

rlscharf: You have a postwar K22 Masterpiece, this was renamed the model 17 in 1957. Serial number range started at K101 in 1946 and continued in production until 1989. It was replaced by the current model 617 which is in stainless steel with a heavy barrel underlug, but still built on the K frame.

Serial number range K615 to K18731 was used during 1947.

In excellent condition the Standard Catalog of S&W listed a value of $600 in 2006. I would think that to a collector your revolver may have a somewhat higher value, depending on condition.

The K22 Masterpiece was a target revolver with an excellent reputation for accuracy. At one point S&W modified barrel thicknesses so the K22 and the related .38 Special K38 Masterpiece had the same weight.

I note you mentioned fixed sights. The K22 had adjustable sights. There should be a small screw in the side of the rear sight and one in front of the rear sight blade. These allowed adjustment for elevation and windage (left-right). If the rear sight is just a channel in the top of the frame then your gun is probably very rare and may be worth more to collector, as the fixed sight guns used a different serial number range, different barrel length and are vary rare and expensive to start with.

Last edited by Radagast; March 23, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:54 PM   #712
Radagast
Contributing Member

NC76: You have a .32 double action 4th model, manufactured from 1883 to 1909 in the serial number range 43406 to 282999. The three inch barrel was one of the more common lengths, grips should be hard rubber with a S&W monogram, finish could be either nickel or blued. In excellent condition the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $400 in 2006.

.32 Double actions made after serial number 209301 are not considered antiques by the BATF.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:21 PM   #713
Radagast
Contributing Member

CrankyOldGuy: The model 66 was introduced in 1970 at serial number K949100.

The 2.5 inch barrel with round butt was introduced in 1974.
The 66-1 was introduced in 1977, so that narrows the age down to 1974-1977.
The red ramp is correct per the SCSW, but the rear target sight is incorrect it should have a white outline.

if the number you quoted is on the crane then it is an assembly number, the serial number should be stamped on the frame above the model number.

For example my 66 no dash has 4k19045 stamped above model 66 on the frame and 11155 with a sideways S stamped on the crane.

Assembly numbers were used to keep fitted parts together during the manufacturing process.

If there is no serial number stamped on the frame, check to see if has been ground off. If not then it's possible you have a 'lunchbox gun' fitted together from purloined parts by a S&W factory worker, hence no correct serial number.

Also, the serial number should be stamped on the very bottom of the grip, the section that would be exposed with some grips. Numbers stamped elsewhere on the grip would not be the serial number.

If there is evidence that the original serial number has been ground off then you may have legal issues with it.

If there is no evidence of removal and the assembly number is effectively the serial number it may be worth a factory letter from S&W denying that they shipped it - some collector might be willing to pay a premium for it.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:31 PM   #714
nc76

Thanks Radagast........the grips are the hard black rubber with the S&W logo.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:39 PM   #715
CrankyOldGuy

Thanks, Radagast.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:28 AM   #716
rlscharf

S&W 22LR Revolver

Thanks Radagast for the info. You are right about the sights, they are adjustable. The weapon is probably an 8 out of 10, no rubs, no cracks in the grips, and shoots like the devil. Just might have to keep this one!!
Old March 24, 2009, 07:02 PM   #717
boricua9mm

K-Frame help needed from FNG/Long Time Shooter

Hey folks! Over the past two months I've purchased this pair of pre-lock Smiths, and was wondering about their birthdays, simply because owning a S&W revolver is owning a piece of history. These are both fixed-sight K-Frames.

The 3" round butt is a model 65-5, serial # BSF1xxx. The 4" square butt is a model 64-3, serial # AJE5xxx.

These guns are proudly enjoying their new lives as a woods gun (His 3" model 65 .357 Mag) and doing home defense detail (Her 4" .38SPL). As such, I would appreciate any help that I receive! Oh, and since I am new here, but not new to forums, I understand good and well that pics always help to get people stimulated

Thanks in advance!

B9

Last edited by boricua9mm; March 24, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:30 PM   #718
Carloshb

Hi everyone I'm from El Salvador,Central America. I need some help. This revolver belonged to my grandfather, is in bad shape. but its my first one. is kind of old. here some of the things I know about it.

Smith & Wesson
.22 LR
grips shape: Round
number of shots: 6
type of sights. ( see picture)
serial number (see picture)
Im not sure but i guess is 1962-1963 revolver, but im not sure. thanks in advance.

Some pictures to have a better Idea.

Old March 25, 2009, 07:48 AM   #719
Radagast
Contributing Member

Carloshb: You have a model of 1953 .22/.32 Kit Gun, built on the improved I frame, this was a .22 caliber gun using a frame originally designed for the .32 S&W Long cartridge. It was known as a Kit Gun because it was a small light weight gun to put in a kit bag (camping/hiking/fishing equipment and necessities).
Yours is the round butt variant, the Kit Gun also came in a square butt variant.
Serial number 101 was shipped in 1954 & serial number 5000 was shipped in 1954, so your gun with serial number 3452 was shipped in one of those years.

The .22/32 kit gun was renamed the model 34 in 1957 and continued in production on the slightly larger J frame until 1969, with a total of 135365 guns produced.

The sights are adjustable for windage (left to right) and elevation using the small screws in the top and side of the sights.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:57 AM   #720
Radagast
Contributing Member

Boricua9mm:
Your wife's 64-3 is the older sister, Serial number prefix AHT was used during July 1985, serial number prefix ALA was used during November 1985, so your gun should fall in the middle. There is a chance that is was made outside that date range as S&W did mark some guns out of sequence.
Your model 65 is the younger brother, serial number prefix BRF was issued in August 1994, Serial number prefix CAM was issued in January 1996, so your gun should fall between those two dates. My guess is it would have been produced late in 1994.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:15 AM   #721
boricua9mm

Thanks so much for the info!
Old March 25, 2009, 10:49 AM   #722
GeneralCaņas

Hi guys, this is a great post! I need help with mine. Here's the data:

Model: Airweight (not sure which if 37 or 38)
Caliber: 38 special
5 shot
Round butt
serial number: 45710

and here's a pic.

Old March 25, 2009, 07:06 PM   #723
Carloshb

Thank Radagast

Thanks Radagast!!! Im searching about my revolver now with the specs that you put, thanks a lot. Lol i thought it was a little recent, at least 10 years, but even so I like it. Thanks I really appreciate your help.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:55 PM   #724
Radagast
Contributing Member

GeneralCanas: Your Chiefs Special Airweight was probably manufactured in 1954, serial number 28916 was issued in 1953 and serial number 55050 was used in 1955.
The Chiefs Special Airweight was the aluminum framed cousin of the model 36 Chiefs Special. Up until serial number 44577 in 1954 they were made with an alloy frame and alloy cylinder. The alloy cylinder models are subject to cracking and should not be fired.
In 1957 the Chiefs Special Airweight was renamed the model 37 and continued in production until quite recently.

The model 38 had the 'hump' on the rear of the frame that partially encloses the hammer for a hopefully snag free draw from a pocket.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:59 PM   #725
GeneralCaņas

Hey Radagast, thanks! I can't believe this beauty is almost 55 years old! Wow! thanks a lot!!!