Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 12 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 21, 2008, 09:40 PM   #276
pith43

Quote:
+1 on this being a hate site.
Jeeez...lighten up just a touch. This thread by design is apt to be opinionated. I don't like the several polymer pistols out there, not because they dont perform, but because I tend to have a great appreciation for "old school" firearms. I just like the way they look and feel. But that doesn't mean I dont want to hear from my good friend about how great his Glock or his duty M&P is. Pissing contests are what makes life fun. Why take your Ford to a car show, if you can't argue whith the Chevy guys about who's is better?

( by the way everyone knows the 1911's are better)

( oh, yea, and Bryco's really do suck)
Old December 21, 2008, 09:57 PM   #277
HexHead

I hate to say "never" because that's a really long time and I might change my mind. I have in the past.

Now that said, it's highly unlikely I'd ever buy anything in .40 S&W again. Or .45 GAP just on principle. And I'm highly unlikely to buy anymore SS guns, especially revolvers.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:30 PM   #278
subknave

I had two Taurus .40 S&W and liked them both but the one gun I will not buy is a Glock. Never found one I liked shooting. Otherwise it would probably be any Iver Johnson or a Mosin Nagant M44.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:21 AM   #279
Cuda

Quote:
Doesn't this mentality kind of reinforce the idea that something can be "the gun's fault" and not the fault of whoever is using it? I mean, I don't think that any gun just takes on evil qualities because of its operators. I'm willing to bet that captured M16s and M14s were used against American troops by the Viet Cong - surely you wouldn't disqualify them just for that?

Quote:
So you're saying you cannot learn from and respect your enemies? While there is no respecting terrorists, there is no point in disrespecting common soldiers even if they serve a nation that is opposed to your own. They're all fighting for the same things you are.

You both have the right to your choices and so do I. As I said I won't buy a gun that was made with the sole purpose of killing American Soldiers.

I didn't say the foreign guns weren't good or effective just that I have no desire to own them.

C
Old December 22, 2008, 12:49 AM   #280
Rancho Relaxo

1911, they're fine and all but way too overpriced.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:08 AM   #281
alaskanativeson

I won't buy a cheap gun just because it's cheap. That's about it.
(I'm talking cheap like Jennings or Bryco - Taurus is inexpensive but I own 3 and they're all great revolvers.)

I had been nursing a Ruger aversion but since Bill died I've cut them some slack, in fact I own 3 Rugers now. If they (or any other manufacturer) did something to side against gun owners I'd damn well line up against them.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:19 AM   #282
DAVIDSDIVAD

Quote:
You both have the right to your choices and so do I. As I said I won't buy a gun that was made with the sole purpose of killing American Soldiers.

I didn't say the foreign guns weren't good or effective just that I have no desire to own them.

C

And I won't buy assault weapons with shoulder things that go up, and that are designed to be sprayed from the hip at school children
Old December 22, 2008, 01:29 AM   #283
againstthagrane

so many HK and glock haters. makes me glad. way more for me
Old December 22, 2008, 01:35 AM   #284
Golden Hound

Quote:
There's no such thing as a gun that was made for the sole purpose of killing American soldiers. Unless the gun in question was crafted by hand in an Al-Qaeda gunsmith workshop or something.
Old December 22, 2008, 07:49 AM   #285
Sav .250

A Winchester 100! There ugly, heavy and shoot worse.
Old December 22, 2008, 09:38 AM   #286
moooose102

Quote:
nd I won't buy assault weapons with shoulder things that go up, and that are designed to be sprayed from the hip at school children
i dont think there was ever a gun that was DESIGNED to spray CHILDREN with bullets! there have been plenty that were designed to spray bullets from the hip, but i can not imagine that anyone has ever designed one for the purpose of killing children. this is the kind of talk that would come from an anti-gun person, or, the brady bunch.
Old December 22, 2008, 09:40 AM   #287
aka108

Anything Ruger
Old December 22, 2008, 09:46 AM   #288
LIQUID SNAKE

Single shots.
Over under shotguns "ever since I saw john kerry holding one" also they are snobby rich people guns.
Anything made by Colt. **** colt!!
Anything deemed suitable for "legitimate sporting purposes" **** sports!!
Anything anyone get to fanatical about recommending. Just to piss them off!!
Anything legal for sale in Kalifonia. **** Kalifonia!!
Anything I already know doesn't work.
Besides that the sky's the limit.
Old December 22, 2008, 09:57 AM   #289
dodge

Any Colt revolver. Now their 1911's maybe as I never owned one so I can't comment on them. The revolver that I did owned was an Anaconda in 45 LC. I had troubles with the barrel turned so far to the left that I coouldn't sight it in, got that fixed then I could cock it and it wouldn't release the hammer when I pulled the trigger and it gave light hits on the primers often enough that I couldn't trust it to fire when the hammer could fall. Traded it in and got what I payed for it. The guy that took it needed it for his collection.

In case of terrorist attacks, use hollowpoints and set the selector switch to full auto.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:05 AM   #290
qajaq59

Any rifle that is semi auto.

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"
Old December 22, 2008, 10:16 AM   #291
Jbabbler

I would never buy an older Taurus (1980's). My dad had a Taurus .38 blow up in his hand when I was a kid and I have had a hard time trusting them ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidlin
30.06 with a wood stock
I understand where you are coming from there. I have a 1944 Remington 03/A3 30.06 that kicks like a friggen mule. I put 20 rounds through it 2 weeks ago and can still see the bruise on my shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha-BeenGlockin
Kel tec
While doubtful at first, I actually grew to like my little P-11. I have had it since 1998 and carry it in my car. If something ever happened to it it wouldn't bother me. After 5000+ rounds w/o a problem I trust it and prefer it to a similarly sized 2" .38 revolver.

The trigger pull is hideous, the grip is too short for my hand and it is ugly as sin but it always goes "bang" when I pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman556
Glock, XD, and all other striker-fired pistols.

If I can't see a hammer, I don't trust it.

Plus I hate DAO.
I agree with most of your post. However, one thing I like about the XD is that the striker sticks out from the back of the slide when it's cocked and that it is not a DAO like the Glock.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:23 AM   #292
ndh87

Any Ruger.

I vote for secession.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:23 AM   #293
Golden Hound

Quote:
i dont think there was ever a gun that was DESIGNED to spray CHILDREN with bullets! there have been plenty that were designed to spray bullets from the hip, but i can not imagine that anyone has ever designed one for the purpose of killing children. this is the kind of talk that would come from an anti-gun person, or, the brady bunch.
That was pretty clearly a sarcastic comment. "Shoulder thing that goes up." Famous quote by anti-gun moron Carolyn McCarthy (referring to a barrel shroud.)
Old December 22, 2008, 11:26 AM   #294
Norinco982lover

Any gun that cannot shoot (ie historical machine gun replicas or SA revolver replicas).

Any single shot firearm.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:55 AM   #295
theotherwaldo

I refuse to say that I'll never buy a (put brand name or model number here). Every time that I've made such a statement, events have conspired to almost force me to buy exactly that thing.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:55 PM   #296
johnnyquest

I'm pretty new to being a gun-nut so, unfortunately I can't really add anything productive to this thread, but I did have a question.

Looks like a lot of people don't like Ruger, but I can't tell is it because of quality etc type issues ? I saw several references to "Bill" and something about now that he's gone... guess I'm just wondering, is the dislike of Ruger cause of the products or 'cause of the company itself ?

I don't know much as far as the history of some of these companies, if anyone wants to shed some light for a n00b like me that would be cool.

Thanks !
Old December 22, 2008, 12:57 PM   #297
Golden Hound

Bill Ruger supported the AWB and claimed that there is no need for anyone to have a magazine greater than five rounds. He was an archetypical "FUDD." Now that he is dead and gone, some people have been more willing to buy Rugers.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:03 PM   #298
MeanGreenZ71

a Hi-Point or any other cheap gun.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:10 PM   #299
Mikee Loxxer

A Ruger Mini 14
Itís is always interesting to hear people complain about how products should cost less and at the same time complain that they should make more. Itís as if they want to make a lot of money but think everyone else should work for nothing.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:34 PM   #300
qajaq59

Quote:
(I'm talking cheap like Jennings
Ahhh, go ahead and buy a Jennings. Then you can feel like a complete a$$ the first time you fire it. And yeah I did, so I could stick in the boat bag for the sea kayak.

I will say this though. It's probably the best single shot semi-auto ever made.

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"