Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 14 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 24, 2008, 05:09 AM   #326
ConstantineJ9

Blank firing guns

''Rambo''
Old December 24, 2008, 06:19 AM   #327
isitdeadyet

Add to my list T/C encore or any single shot hunting rifle. Not for quality, just because I hate when people say it's all you need for hunting. Some would want that restriction aplied across all areas, so I will not encourage it.
Old December 24, 2008, 06:29 AM   #328
71Commander

GLOCKS.
Patriot Guard rider
Old December 24, 2008, 12:59 PM   #329
Nanook

While I don't really hate them, I don't believe I'd buy a Glock again. I formerly owned a Glock21, since I'm a .45 kind of guy.

I figured I'd give it a shot, so to speak. The pistol fed everything, except lead of course, and was very reliable. I just hated the way it felt in my hand. It just didn't fit my hand, it felt like I had a brick or 2x4 in my hand.

I traded it to a Glock fan, and bought a 1911. Much better fit for my hand.

As far as guns I wouldn't buy again for other reasons, that would have to be S & W semi-autos. I've been burned twice, and would rather not make it three times. I still own a S&W 645 which works fine now, after I had to have a new barrel put into it. Now I have more in it than it's worth, so it's going nowhere.

On the one hand, I like the fact that it's SS and DA. It has 8 round magazines, which is nice. And now it shoots pretty well.

On the other hand, it needed a new barrel, something that's never happened to me before with a handgun. Oh well, it doesn't eat much sitting there in the safe.
Old December 26, 2008, 11:55 AM   #330
Friendly, Don't Fire!

Any gun that is manufactured mainly for use against our troops.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:40 PM   #331
Golden Hound

Again there is no gun that is "manufactured" specifically for use against our troops. The people we are fighting right now are terrorists and insurgents who are armed with old weapons manufactured by the Soviet Union, which does not exist anymore, and which never went to war against us. The AK-47 was never manufactured for use against "our" troops. It was manufactured for use against whoever the Russians needed to fight at the time. That's pretty much true for any military rifle, isn't it?
Old December 26, 2008, 01:10 PM   #332
MRHDAD

Hello to all. I am new to this sight. I recently came into posession of a shotgun The barrel of the gun is stamped with the date 12-20-18??. Hard to make out the last two digits. It has several other markings on it and I am trying to trace it's origin. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 26, 2008, 01:25 PM   #333
steelhead

Glock or Deagle
Old December 26, 2008, 09:51 PM   #334
Enos Presley

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also avoid 1911s. Just a personal preference as I could never get the hang of decocking one and the grip safety (although the one on my Lemon Squeezer is not a problem).
This comment leaves me confused. Why would you ever need to decock a 1911? I've had one for years and have never needed to decock it.
It's that I have seen, many times, the trigger of a 1911 pulled on an "empty" chamber (that the person handling the gun claims to have just checked) with the mag removed, and the result being a hole in a wall, floor, or ceiling, but thankfully never a person. Decocking prevents this from happening. I also think carrying "cocked and locked" is IMHO, the acme of stupidity.

I simply do not trust 1911s. I have owned other single-action autoloading pistols (in the past, I am completely through with autoloaders) that I found to be safer (magazine safety), easier for me to use (no grip safety) and never had a negligent (no such things as gun accidents in my book) discharge because I was able to simply and effectively decock them.

Last edited by Enos Presley; December 26, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 27, 2008, 02:23 AM   #335
MountainPeak

"Shiny" S&W revolvers. Sort of limits my options on new guns by Smith.
Old December 27, 2008, 07:35 AM   #336
LightningJoe

Quote:
The AK-47 was never manufactured for use against "our" troops.

It was supplied to Soviet client states, some of which did fight us. Not a good reason to reject it, though.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:31 PM   #337
steelhead

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also avoid 1911s. Just a personal preference as I could never get the hang of decocking one and the grip safety (although the one on my Lemon Squeezer is not a problem).

This comment leaves me confused. Why would you ever need to decock a 1911? I've had one for years and have never needed to decock it.

It's that I have seen, many times, the trigger of a 1911 pulled on an "empty" chamber (that the person handling the gun claims to have just checked) with the mag removed, and the result being a hole in a wall, floor, or ceiling, but thankfully never a person. Decocking prevents this from happening. I also think carrying "cocked and locked" is IMHO, the acme of stupidity.

I simply do not trust 1911s. I have owned other single-action autoloading pistols (in the past, I am completely through with autoloaders) that I found to be safer (magazine safety), easier for me to use (no grip safety) and never had a negligent (no such things as gun accidents in my book) discharge because I was able to simply and effectively decock them.

A man has got to know his limitations.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:46 PM   #338
chuckusaret

My never buy is a Ruger LCP

quote:
Any 25cal or any Springfield xd ( they have had mine for over 1 year for warranty work, cracked slide)

I have a Springfield, XD9MM, XD40,and my favorite a 1911 45ACP Micro-Compact LWT, Novak Sights, Bi-Tone, 3 Inch
and never had a problem with any, all have at least 1500 to 2000 rounds thru them. My experience with SA has always been outstanding.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:54 PM   #339
.38 Special

Quote:
Not a good reason to reject it, though.
True. The good reasons:

A) If you're a grown-up.

B) If you like to hit your target.

C) If you realize that "Red Dawn" was just a movie.

D) If you're not a terrorist.

HTH!
Old December 27, 2008, 01:07 PM   #340
Bailey Guns

Quote:
It's that I have seen, many times, the trigger of a 1911 pulled on an "empty" chamber (that the person handling the gun claims to have just checked) with the mag removed, and the result being a hole in a wall, floor, or ceiling, but thankfully never a person.
This is somehow the gun's fault??? What ever happened to following established safety rules? And if you've seen this "many times"...dude...I'd find some different shooting buddies. I've been a firearms instructor in the military, LE and as a civilian for 20-ish years. Out of all those hours on the range I've personally "seen" a negligent discharge only a handful of times...I'd guess and say 10 or less.

Quote:
Decocking prevents this from happening.
No, it doesn't. Not being stupid and/or incompetent with a gun prevents this from happening.

Quote:
I also think carrying "cocked and locked" is IMHO, the acme of stupidity.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post on the internet and remove all doubt." - (apologies to Abe Lincoln)

Nice work. How many millions of people, many of whom are probably much more competent with a handgun than you, did you just insult? That opinion must also explain why the design, in various models of guns, has been around for 100 years and is probably more popular now than ever.

Quote:
I simply do not trust 1911s.
OK. Fair enough. You don't like or trust them. Got it.

Quote:
I have owned other single-action autoloading pistols (in the past, I am completely through with autoloaders) that I found to be safer (magazine safety), easier for me to use (no grip safety) and never had a negligent (no such things as gun accidents in my book) discharge because I was able to simply and effectively decock them.
OK...so other auto designs work better for you. No objection there, either. But how is using a grip safety harder than using a gun without one? That's got me a little puzzled. So I'm assuming that you've resigned yourself to using double-action (or double-action only revolvers) in double-action mode only as far as handguns go in the future?

And what other single action auto-loaders have decockers? That question is just out of curiosity as I can't think of any except for maybe a CZ model or two.

Frankly, from what you've written, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me that you should never own a 1911 style pistol.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:17 PM   #341
230RN

(1)
WVMountainBoy:

Quote:
I have a charles daly 1911 that doesn't do hollow points, a springfield GI that if you limp wrist at all gets very upset. I know these things are fixable, but they go to the charactor of the gun. The GI is a project so it will get stronger springs soon.
Don't you mean "weaker" springs?

(2)
MRHDAD, New Member: Welcome!

(3)
I'll add to my list (H&R 949, see post 7) any handgun where the striker stays at full cock while you cart it around.

Terry, 230RN
Old December 27, 2008, 01:26 PM   #342
Bailey Guns

Forgot to say during my last rant:

I'd be hard-pressed to say I'd "never" buy a particular gun. I've bought a few I'd never buy to keep personally but turned around and sold them for a profit to someone who just had to have it, couldn't afford something else, etc...
Old December 27, 2008, 03:29 PM   #343
Grampy

This thread is helping me immensely so far as I am just getting into shooting and buying my first handguns.

So far I do not see any dislike for my first two choices------a .22lr to learn on, and then a 9mm for home defense:

.22---Buckmark
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...51&type_id=447

9mm---C-Z
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

Anyone have any dislike for these two?
Old December 27, 2008, 03:53 PM   #344
.38 Special

Somebody up the line already bashed the 9mm in any gun, so that's out.

As for the .22, I don't think anyone's given the gun a hard time yet, but you should note that Aguila, Remington, Winchester, CCI, Lapua, Eley, Federal, RWS, Wolf, SK,and Fiocchi all suck. And also, any .22 ammo less than $5/50 is junk and any .22 ammo more than $5/50 is a ripoff. So if you can find anything that is exactly $5/50 and is not made by any of the above manufacturers, you should be okay. For now.

HTH!
Old December 27, 2008, 03:57 PM   #345
97guns

anything with an action lock on it
Old December 27, 2008, 04:05 PM   #346
jdc1244

Quote:
So far I do not see any dislike for my first two choices------a .22lr to learn on, and then a 9mm for home defense:

.22---Buckmark
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...51&type_id=447

9mm---C-Z
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

Anyone have any dislike for these two?
Those are excellent and refreshing - choices for a new gun owner, well done and enjoy.
Old December 27, 2008, 07:29 PM   #347
North of 49th

Wow... I think we have now established that at least someone hates every single model, make, or caliber ever made. You guys should slow down before you run out of stuff to hate
Old December 27, 2008, 08:45 PM   #348
NotSoFast

A 1911.
A 10-22.

There are better guns on the market that do the job for me. Aren't you glad we all have different preferences?
Old December 29, 2008, 08:23 AM   #349
salthouse

I have a kel-tec and a Taurus revolver that have been flawless. My Ruger P90 on the other hand, a jam-o-matic.

Never will buy another Beretta Tomcat, stiff action, and it bit a number of people who shot it. I also could not hit anything with it (not the gun's fault). I would be hard pressed to by another Ruger based on my experience and some other's I've seen. Probably never buy an SKS, I just don't get the fascination with those.
Old December 29, 2008, 08:50 AM   #350
benderx4

Keltec
Sigma
Glock
Ruger LCP
Para Warthog
Kahr PM-9