Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 22 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 1, 2009, 01:42 AM   #526
Prod

Quote:
Simple question for me: Any gun on the planet in the 40sw or 10mm caliber; (9mm is a close 2nd, but there are a couple I might consider); and ANY Glock. After that, I would real picky on most any other "Toy Gun". (Plastic/Polymer).
I'm curious, why those rounds?

Never:
Anything DA/SA. The idea of having variance in the amount of travel and/or force it takes to make the same weapon to go bang is mind-boggling to me.

Hi-Point. I've never shot one, but my understanding is that if I tried to shoot one, I would still be able to say I've never shot one.

Unlikely:
Anything DA. My finger isn't inside the trigger guard unless I am sure I am going to shoot. I don't need an extra long/hard trigger pull to think about it.

Ruger. I can't think of any Ruger that appeals to me. Anytime I see a Ruger that I think "Hey, that would be cool to have," usually there is something better on the market.

Any pistols smaller than 9mm aside from a .22 for target/plinking. Probably any pistols not .45 ACP or 10mm.

Anything that isn't a military style or defensive weapon, aside from a .22. I like the evil guns because they're fun to shoot, usually more ergonomic, and larger magazines just seem more convenient. They also piss off anti-gun folk. The only non-semi-auto guns I can see myself spending money on are: Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield, Mauser, 03 Springfield, some pump shotty (which would still be in an HD config), an over/under (hunting), antique or replica muzzle loader, Model 1894, and, if I had the coin, one of Accuracy International's bolt guns. When you consider the multitude of non-semi-auto firearms out there, that's a pretty short list.

What I own that a lot people hate:
Taurus PT1911. It's my carry, currently my HD, also currently my only pistol. It has proved to be very reliable; I'd estimate I have over 1000 rounds through it. I can only think of 1 FTF where it wasn't due to the shooter limpwristing it.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:52 AM   #527
armslist

Like the above poster, I think the hi-points are off my list.

I also don't really ever see myself buying an AR. I just don't have any use for it (no hunting with semi-autos in PA, and I have plenty of defense weapons), and with the current prices in .223 it just doesn't make much sense.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:15 AM   #528
Dallas Jack

Anything that looks like an Uzi or Tec-9 --Just personal dislike.

Any Kahr --Have no intention of contributing to the Moonies. (as in Rev Moon) Also I don't trust their reliablity.

Dallas Jack
Old June 1, 2009, 06:53 AM   #529
Fatherroger

Evidently some of the posts to this thread are a matter of taste. I have owned some of the disdained items--including several Taurus pistols--and had wonderful success with them. BTW, any feelings about the Charles Daly line of firearms. They make what appears to be a pretty serviceable 1911A1.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:15 AM   #530
tkopp

Charles Daly doesn't make their own weapons, so it's hard to gauge them on their brand name. Different styles of weapons are sourced from different vendors and rebadged. I've heard abysmal things about their shotguns and that their older 1911s were quite well made, and that their newer 1911s are in line with other bargain 1911s. Their AR15s are pretty well-made as well.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:10 AM   #531
Mr. Bojangles

I would never have an AR, AK, bolt action or semiauto rifle. I hate wood stocks and think synthetic stocks are lame. I also would never own a semiauto pistol or a revolver. I despise anything that is single shot. I would also never own a shotgun because they are not accurate past 100 yards.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:27 AM   #532
Dougsboy

Some of these mentioned so far are kind of surprising. I can't help but think maybe some just got a lemon. I wouldn't buy anything with scrolling all over it. Those are for framing and looking at. Absolutely no Hi Points. Those things are the definition of ugly. Glocks have an excellent reputation but those things are as ugly as a High Point.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:57 AM   #533
weisse52

Taurus, Kimber, Para Ordance, Glock

US Navy
Kentucky National Guard 223 MP Co.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:15 AM   #534
Nate1778

12 pound Mountain Howitzer, Bronze sucks and they eat powder, and the neighbors complain.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:30 AM   #535
rogertc1

After reviewing all these pages there is just about every gun made on someone ****list.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:09 PM   #536
Grey_Mana

Quote:
Super-Soaker. I just don't see a need for one.
I'm guessing you have no plans to attend Spring Break at any of the well-attended beaches. You can't soak T-shirts of well-endowed coeds without a super soaker.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:24 PM   #537
bearmgc

AMT anything.
Old June 1, 2009, 02:15 PM   #538
Prod

Quote:
After reviewing all these pages there is just about every gun made on someone ****list.
Well one guy said he'd never own any semi-auto, and I mentioned that I wouldn't own anything except semi-autos barring a handful of war relics. So that pretty much takes care of it.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:07 PM   #539
DammitBoy

I'll never own anything made by Lorcin, Bryco, Raven, Davis, Kahr, or Hi Point.

Cheap, gang-banger junk, in my opinion.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:11 PM   #540
Demitrios

Jennings comes to mind.
- "Freedom is never given to anybody, for the oppressor has you in domination because he plans to keep you there, and he never voluntarily gives it up. And that is where the strong resistance comes. Privileged classes never give up their privileges without strong resistance." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:19 PM   #541
Dunkelheit

Everything that was built by Norinco.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:57 PM   #542
Tim the student

An Arisaka, or other Japanese weapons of WWII.

I will not own a weapon that might literally have been used against my grandfather. Unless of course he has some hidden away somewhere that he brought back with him.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:45 PM   #543
Quilbilly

Another Walther P22. Not because I think it is such a horrible gun, but because there are better options. I will also never buy a .22 for SD because again, there are better options.

"Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars."
Old June 1, 2009, 06:26 PM   #544
Q!!

Some of ya'll posting here must just be kids. I mean what is all this talk about 30-06's and .300 Win Mags kicking so hard it hurt you???

Good Lord. I bet ya'll would run home cryin to momma if you pulled the trigger on my .378 Weatherby Mag or even my .300 Weatherby Mag which if you think the Winchester kicks, the Weatherby will knock you brains out. Grow a pair fellas and have some fun.

And the guns I wouldn't buy??? Well, that would be Glock.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:16 PM   #545
TOTC

On aesthetics alone, any Glock or Springfield XD. To me a gun either has to a) look sexy or b) look macho. I probably wouldn't own something with fancy scrollwork either. I'd be afraid of dropping it and marring all that beautiful work.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:17 PM   #546
blo0dyhatchet

Glock and Ruger pistols. Both of them look and feel like they were made out of play doh. Say what you want, but I would take a Taurus any day.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:35 PM   #547
.38 Special

Quote:
Some of ya'll posting here must just be kids. I mean what is all this talk about 30-06's and .300 Win Mags kicking so hard it hurt you???

Good Lord. I bet ya'll would run home cryin to momma if you pulled the trigger on my .378 Weatherby Mag or even my .300 Weatherby Mag which if you think the Winchester kicks, the Weatherby will knock you brains out. Grow a pair fellas and have some fun.
Anyone who thinks the .378 Weatherby kicks should have lace sewn into his panties. Everyone knows that "real" men don't shoot anything less than a .416, and the .460 is the sensible minimum for anything larger than varmints.

Personally, I think the .505 Gibbs is where real rifles start. If you can't handle it, then you just need to work out or take steroids or kill yourself and get reborn as a big hairy he-man.

Buncha sissies.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:42 PM   #548
Dallas Jack

Somebody's been drinking the testostorome koolaid.

Dallas Jack
Old June 1, 2009, 07:56 PM   #549
jcwit

Will someone just inform me where this ridiculous thread is going.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:07 PM   #550
.38 Special

Somebody's immune to parody!