Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 74 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 27, 2014, 04:02 PM   #1826
SC Shooter

Any handgun caliber larger than a .45 ACP
Old March 27, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1827
MDW GUNS

Kimber >>> over priced and QC problems.
You might get a good one or with several issues.
Highpoint >>> why bother
Kel-Tec >>> their pocket pistols are junk
Old March 28, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1828
Hometeached1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubijar03 View Post
Wow, I just spent over an hour skimming this thread because I searched P220 in the search bar to see if I should trade my G19.

All of my guns have to go apparently. Seems the CZs made it out with the lest damage though.

For me it is a Jennings, XD, or Llama. Anything else is a matter of price and finances.

Mike.
Goes to show you that all firearms can and will fail.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old March 28, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1829
mnhntr

That's a long list but the top few are: anything in .380acp or 40S&W , any Hi Point, S&W sigma, any Taurus,
Old March 28, 2014, 11:02 PM   #1830
morcey2

Anything that looks significantly different from the guns that I already have. My wife tends to notice the different ones. That means I need to get a couple black rifles that she knows about. That way if an FAL or something similar follows me home, it'll just blend right in.
Old March 29, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1831
Shagg

Anything made by Kel-Tec or an AR.
Old March 29, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1832
plmitch

Ruger 10/22 or a glock.
Old March 29, 2014, 11:30 PM   #1833
Cee Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhntr
That's a long list but the top few are: anything in .380acp or 40S&W , any Hi Point, S&W sigma, any Taurus,
Are there any stats to back this up or are you just guessing? Maybe some of your own views involved?

Unless you actually count up the responses I'm going to have a hard time accepting your conclusion. Why would a .40 be in that list? And lumping Taurus with High Point is clearly over the top. Plus anyone not understanding that a Jennings, a Llama or a Raven Arms are vastly inferior to pretty much every other weapon made in the past 50 years just isn't paying attention. This thread is 5 years old. You surely understand that the whole ordeal with Marlin lever guns is covered here. And there are enough Glock haters to start their own board. Remington has changed a great deal in that 5 period along with Marlin. For a while you couldn't get a decent Marlin. Now they make decent guns again in the Kentucky plant. And there are those that would never buy a Chinese weapon even though they certainly make some fine firearms even if they did copy the designs. It's a political thing most likely and I understand that. But don't tell me it makes sense when it comes to firearm quality. I have a Norinco SKS that will put that to rest any time anyone wants to argue the point. Plus I have a couple of H&R shotguns that are very good copies of the 870. In some ways they exceed the quality of some 870's.

There is no consensus in this thread that makes any sense. I've seen half a dozen people say they would never buy a 1911. If that makes sense then the world has turned upside down. This is a venting thread IMO. People come here to complain about their own personal experiences. Anything more than that is pure conjecture. Lumping entire calibers into the worst list is just way over the top. There are excellent .40 caliber weapons. I've seen more people talk about calibers above .44 magnum in handguns or above .45 than I have .40. In fact I skimmed through quite a few pages and I didn't see one person say they would never buy a .40. Why would anyone think that anyway? Sure it's halfway between a 9mm and a .45. That can actually be a good thing.

Last edited by Cee Zee; March 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 29, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1834
mnhntr

Quote:
Are there any stats to back this up or are you just guessing? Maybe some of your own views involved?

Unless you actually count up the responses I'm going to have a hard time accepting your conclusion. Why would a .40 be in that list? And lumping Taurus with High Point is clearly over the top. Plus anyone not understanding that a Jennings, a Llama or a Raven Arms are vastly inferior to pretty much every other weapon made in the past 50 years just isn't paying attention. This thread is 5 years old. You surely understand that the whole ordeal with Marlin lever guns is covered here. And there are enough Glock haters to start their own board. Remington has changed a great deal in that 5 period along with Marlin. For a while you couldn't get a decent Marlin. Now they make decent guns again in the Kentucky plant. And there are those that would never buy a Chinese weapon even though they certainly make some fine firearms even if they did copy the designs. It's a political thing most likely and I understand that. But don't tell me it makes sense when it comes to firearm quality. I have a Norinco SKS that will put that to rest any time anyone wants to argue the point. Plus I have a couple of H&R shotguns that are very good copies of the 870. In some ways they exceed the quality of some 870's.

There is no consensus in this thread that makes any sense. I've seen half a dozen people say they would never buy a 1911. If that makes sense then the world has turned upside down. This is a venting thread IMO. People come here to complain about their own personal experiences. Anything more than that is pure conjecture. Lumping entire calibers into the worst list is just way over the top. There are excellent .40 caliber weapons. I've seen more people talk about calibers above .44 magnum in handguns or above .45 than I have .40. In fact I skimmed through quite a few pages and I didn't see one person say they would never buy a .40. Why would anyone think that anyway? Sure it's halfway between a 9mm and a .45. That can actually be a good thing.
This is an opinion post in which the OP asked for guns you would not buy. I personally would never own the ones I mentioned and also added that it would be a long list. These are just a few. If you need my reasoning for MY decision on this PM me and I would gladly give you my views on what I mentioned.
Old March 29, 2014, 11:59 PM   #1835
Inebriated

Springfield XD/XDM/XDs.
Old March 30, 2014, 01:02 AM   #1836
Bob Bonillas

Anything taurus
Old March 30, 2014, 09:27 AM   #1837
Joshua M.

Deleted....

NRA Certified Basic Handgun Safety Instructor
Old March 30, 2014, 01:15 PM   #1838
Cee Zee

Quote:
This is an opinion post in which the OP asked for guns you would not buy. I personally would never own the ones I mentioned
I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the list in this thread.
Old March 30, 2014, 09:57 PM   #1839
preachnhunt

Any bullpup.
Old March 31, 2014, 12:29 AM   #1840
grubbylabs

Any thing made by Sig Saur.
Old April 5, 2014, 03:33 AM   #1841
Scrubber3

.40 is a compromise... Nothing more. It offers no advantage over 9mm. It does however offer disadvantages.

1: less rounds per magazine
2: more muzzle flip
3: more expensive
4: harder to reload
5: less choices

I'm sure there are more... It's an effective round, don't get me wrong, but it does nothing a 9mm cannot do. Also, keep in mind, it was originally a 10mm that ended up getting neutered.

.40 caliber isn't for me. Subjectively and objectively.
Old April 5, 2014, 05:15 AM   #1842
lxd55

wow guys I own more than 1 and less than 50 and should sell the lot or not have bought them at all. humorous to say the least.
Jennings.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:10 PM   #1843
Scrubber3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxd55 View Post
wow guys I own more than 1 and less than 50 and should sell the lot or not have bought them at all. humorous to say the least.

Jennings.

This is a subjective thread... You wouldn't sell your car because someone else didn't like it would you? It's good that certain guns aren't like by the masses. Otherwise they'd cost more and most people wouldn't buy them based on that fact alone since price was the reason they were bought in the first place.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1844
gyvel

ANYTHING made of Zamak or plastic, and darn few made of aluminum.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1845
OrangePwrx9

Wellll....we all grow and learn as time passes. Likes & dislikes fade and change. Used to be a Chevy guy; but I've bought only Fords for 40 years. Said I'd never buy Japanese; but now I'm looking at Toyotas and own more than one Kubota.

Likewise; I once said I'd never own an aluminum framed revolver. Now I carry a .38 Chief's Special Airweight M37 and am HAPPY-HAPPY-HAPPY to have it.

To inject a positive note to this thread, I'll probably buy only Ruger and S&W revolvers in the future....and maybe a Glock 26.
Old April 6, 2014, 05:49 PM   #1846
DHJenkins

Any non-SAO semi-auto with a safety.

-Edmund Burke
Old April 6, 2014, 06:40 PM   #1847
lxd55

hmm thank you for the insight scrubber3. might never had drifted in that direction of thought. I ...
Old April 7, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1848
tuj

Quote:
Any Remington rifle.
Ok, the Glock thing I can understand, but really ANY Remington rifle? The 40X was an outstanding rifle.
Old April 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1849
tuj

Quote:
Didn't know I had to legitimize my opinions to you. Sorry.
No, you most certainly don't. I was just trying to understand why you didn't like Remington rifles. Is it the Model 700 you don't like? Just curious, that's all.
Old April 9, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1850
nebraska_farmer

45 ACP. Capacity has never been that important to me and .357 does everything a 45 can and then some - in my opinion of course.

Kahr. Got burned with a real turd (P380) that they could not fix, disposed of it 6 months after purchasing and took a loss. No more Kahr in my future.

380 Anything. I shot it for a while and lost interest. Gave my dad and sister 500 rounds after I disposed of the Kahr. Ballistics just aren't up to my standards for defense purposes even with +p. Done with 380 for good.

Single shot. Yes I said capacity is not important to me but I have no interest in single shot anything.

Taurus / Rossi. Never shot one, read enough online to know that I don't want to waste my time. I'll save a while longer and get something I know will work.

20 gauge. Why? I have a 12 gauge + huge pile of ammo.

AR15. I'd take one if you gave it to me but I don't see myself buying one. Too many other rifles I'd rather have.

Single action revolvers. I have a few and rarely shoot them - double action all the way.