Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 9 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 14, 2008, 02:42 AM   #201
Golden Hound

Well, I sure as hell would buy a Korth if I could afford it, but I would have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to drop that kind of money on a gun and not have it make a big dent in my money. As it is, even if I had that kind of cash specifically set aside just for buying guns, (like if I got some kind of hypothetical nine thousand dollar gun-only gift certificate,) there are lots of things I'd rather have.

My "never buy" guns as in, would never buy them even if money was no object:

Glocks, simply because I hate the way they look.

Any rifle covered with rails all over - I hate the way rails look, and if a gun has to have them, I can only tolerate one single rail on top of the receiver. But in general I dislike them. If, for instance, if I were to get an AR, I would get one with a carrying handle and no rail at all.

Hi-Point guns because I can't stand the way they look. (Do they NEED to look so ugly in order to be functional? Do they literally have someone over there trying to create ugly designs?)

Tec-9 or Mac-10 - Don't like how they look.

Ruger - after reading about Ruger's ideology, I wouldn't want to support them.

Synthetic stocks - I would never buy any gun with a synthetic stock if a wood stock were not also available for that same gun.

(Is there any wood-worker here who might be able to make for me a wooden version of the HK91 wide forend? Send me a PM and quote me a price. I would like to have one, but they aren't made.) In other words I want it to look like this photo-shop image I created:

Old October 14, 2008, 04:10 AM   #202
lefteyedom

I would never by a F-102, when for the same mony you can get a F106
F-14 So over rated!
F101 voodoo (too ugly)
Any French fighter.
Any Chinese fighter
Any fighter built by a car company
Old October 14, 2008, 04:29 AM   #203
Golden Hound

Is it a tough job, being the Secretary of Defense?
Old October 14, 2008, 01:14 PM   #204
TAB

glock
ruger

only thing that comes to mind.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:25 PM   #205
mljdeckard

Sigma. (From experience)
Not a fan of any pocket guns.
Ruger centerfire autos.
Vulcan/Hesse
I don't see any reason to ever pick up a Tec-9.
Any gun so expensive I would rather baby it than shoot it. (I might change my mind when I'm rich.)
Old October 14, 2008, 03:10 PM   #206
tribbles

Any Lorcin/Davis/Cobra derringer. The .22WMR I had was more accurate when thrown.

Any centerfire automatic pistol smaller than a 9mm.

Glock. For me, the ergonomics suck. I keep shifting my hand around, trying to find a grip that's at least somewhat comfortable.

Any sporterized mil-surp Mauser. Most of them look like crap, and nowadays a Remchester that will shoot twice as good out-of-the-box is a lot less expensive.

Bolt-action guns with synthetic stocks.

Ruger 10/22, mostly due to its annoying fans who claim, 'It's a great gun, once you replace everything except the receiver...'

But, of course, "to each his own".
Old October 14, 2008, 04:44 PM   #207
heavyshooter

Wow, this thread is getting long

I have a few:

Berreta Tomcat 3032 - Because of the cracked frame drama
Anything made by Glock - Because of the grip angle
Anything made by Taurus - Because it is a Taurus
Anything made in China - 'Nuff said

Heavy

Last edited by heavyshooter; October 14, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old October 14, 2008, 05:00 PM   #208
cicguy

Any Glock or Glock type. I hate that polymer crap.

For God and Country,

CICGUY
Old October 15, 2008, 04:14 AM   #209
English Bob

Glock

Ruger (Handguns not Rifles)

Taurus

Darne

Pietta
Old October 15, 2008, 06:04 AM   #210
Fetus

springfield XD
Old October 15, 2008, 10:44 PM   #211
MikeKeyW

Rg
Fie
Old October 15, 2008, 11:51 PM   #212
longdayjake

anything overpriced.
Old October 15, 2008, 11:52 PM   #213
phantomak47

Easy , Smith and Wesson lock guns. Until the lock is gone, I will never buy one.
Old October 16, 2008, 08:16 AM   #214
qajaq59

Any rifle that is semi-auto.

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"
Old October 16, 2008, 09:15 AM   #215
Legionnaire

You know, I was skeptical when I first posted to this thread, but I'm really enjoying it at this point!! Great way to let people vent about guns they dislike. Don't really need any explanation other than, "I don't like it!" And we've come this far without anyone seriously taking offense that someone doesn't like a gun that he or she really likes! Pretty cool!

For example, it's interesting to see how many would "never buy" a Glock, knowing how generally popular Glocks are. Interesting to see those who would "never buy" a gun made in China, knowing that among 1911 afficianados (sp?), Norincos are thought to be great guns for the money.

Very interesting thus far; I'm enjoying it!
Old October 16, 2008, 03:07 PM   #216
North of 49th

Quote:
it's interesting to see how many would "never buy" a Glock
I know what you mean. I has gotten to a point were I am almost shocked so many people dislike Glocks. Although I must give them this, owning a gun made mostly of plastic is not for everyone. But as a Glock owner myself I must say that they are exceptionally simple and functional guns. Just my opinion though.

As to the guns made in china I think it is largely an ideology thing. Having said that most of the guns that had “made in china” stamped on them were of poorer quality than most guns made almost anywhere else.
Old October 16, 2008, 03:44 PM   #217
yhtomit

- Anything in an exotic caliber
- Anything frou-frou carved or otherwise decorated (if I want a decorated gun, I want the engravings etc. to be things I've chosen for reasons of my own)
- Anything I'd regret actually being able to fire because it would hurt some sort of "historical" value.

timothy
Old October 16, 2008, 03:50 PM   #218
Gunsby_Blazen

if I say that I am never going to buy a glock, it will probably increase the chances of me buying one....
so I wont say it....
Old October 16, 2008, 09:14 PM   #219
MacDuff

Taurus. Never again!
Old December 20, 2008, 06:25 PM   #220
jdub42

OK

I am new here and am now pretty much red eyed reading here. I am going to revive this old thread with my own info.

Avoid:

Bond Arms derringer 45LC/.410! 50lb trigger pull, sent it back, came back with a 50lb trigger pull.

DPMS! Bought a Panther Lite 16. Severely canted FSB, sent it back, came back with new pins and a "still" severely canted FSB. Chamber is not cut to 5.56 spec, when I explain this to customer service I get repremanded for my poor choice of ammunition.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:36 PM   #221
lance daugherty

Second the 700 rem.

Wish someone would of slap me for buying mine. No one who has one has ever said a good thing about them!
Old December 20, 2008, 06:39 PM   #222
lance daugherty

Second the 700 rem.

Wish someone would of slap me for buying mine. No one who has one has ever said a good thing about them! And why do people buy or make jennings
Old December 20, 2008, 10:54 PM   #223
jdub42

Mod. 700

I have a 270 that came with the Walker Fire Controle System "standard in the 700 for a while," which was responsible for a death or two. These rifles had a deffective fire control group that could actually cause the rifle to fire when you take it off safety. The rifle put a hole in my ceiling and one downrange and cased my friend to nearly crap his pants. Couple of years ago I decided to research the firearms history. Turns out Remington has had a quiet recall for repair on these rifles for a "while."

Link to the info:http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/a...wsrem700_2.htm
Old December 20, 2008, 11:04 PM   #224
Enos Presley

AR/AK, just don't like 'em. Put 'em together and you get arak, which is Lebanese ouzo

Beretta 92, from experience

Glock, from experience

Heck, autoloaders in general. Never owned one that I consider reliable, and I'm pretty fastidious about cleaning my guns and don't buy junk.

Taurus

RG (inherited)

Near anything Communist-Bloc. Clunky, clanky, junky, funky. And I hate scraping all that cosmoline off.

Agree about "macho" pistol calibers, too, even though I am quite fond of big-bore muzzleloading pistols.

I also avoid 1911s. Just a personal preference as I could never get the hang of decocking one and the grip safety (although the one on my Lemon Squeezer is not a problem).
Old December 21, 2008, 12:16 AM   #225
fireman 9731

I would never buy a shotgun in a gauge other than 12 or .410

Check out: www.tsguns.info for a KY, OH, WV tri-state area gun forum.