Quantcast
870- what year did the flex tab come out? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 9, 2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Kookla

870- what year did the flex tab come out?

Just wondering what year the flex tab came out on the 870. Thanks.
Old June 9, 2015, 04:10 PM   #2
MikeJackmin

According to this source, "The Flexitab became standard issue on Remington 870s in the mid 1980s."

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/03/remi...dentification/

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old June 9, 2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Kookla

Cool, thanks for posting that Was looking at a nice wingmaster today and it didn't have the flex tab.
Old June 9, 2015, 10:12 PM   #4
MICHAEL T

If you worried about the jamming. Used to cut a slot in the carrier about 3/4 way down . This allowed you to use a pocket knife or a key to clear the jam
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old June 9, 2015, 10:32 PM   #5
rcmodel
Contributing Member

As I recall, nobody knew they needed one, once they figured out how to stuff them in the tube while loading, and pumping them instead of short-stroking them.
Iit wouldn't be a deal breaker if I found a nice old Wingmaster.

They are far & away better & slicker operating shotguns then what is being made today!!

rc
Old June 9, 2015, 10:47 PM   #6
AI&P Tactical

You don't need a seat belt till you crash. Anyone who would fight with a non flex tab 870 places very little value on their life.

It's a non issue on a Sporting shotgun unless of course you hunt in bear country
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old June 10, 2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Hookeye

I've shot thousands of rounds through a few 870s, most older models.
Never flubbed a load or jammed one.
Old June 10, 2015, 07:07 AM   #8
Ash

I'd like to hear of the guy who died because he didn't have a flex tab. Date, time, name, conditions of death would all be helpful.
http://www.fourfoolspress.com/
Old June 10, 2015, 07:39 AM   #9
rodregier

FlexTab upgrade kits are separately available too.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod10934.aspx
Old June 10, 2015, 09:30 AM   #10
AI&P Tactical

What is it that you don't get that this is a safety device? And you have had people shooting at you how many times?

Doing something on the range or at furry little bunnies is not being in a fight for your life. This upgrade is designed to clear the weapon without having to break it down. Anyone who does not understand that they will be highly stressed in a fight and can make these mistakes is wrong headed and has no understanding of the issue. You mess up and your primary weapon is jammed and is now just a 38" club.

So, you don't need a guard on your saws because you have never cut your hand off? You don't need a seat belt because you have never hit anything with your car and you sure don't need life insurance because you have never died..

You should want every advantage in a fight and again, anyone fighting with a non-flex tab 870 places little value on their life. Of course on gun forums there are perfect people who will be Mel Gibson/Bruce Willis Cool in a gun fight but that ain't me. I have been there done that and I did some stupid mess on of those times and lucky enough it did not cost me. If it should happen again I want every advantage to ensure I continue to get those retirement checks and watch my grand kids grow up.
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old June 10, 2015, 10:17 AM   #11
Kookla

I was just asking about the flex tab to get a rough idea of when it was made. I got this primarily to bust clays with.

Well, I picked up the wingmaster last night. The outside was in very good shape- the inside had sticky goop and leaf particles in it. As an added bonus, there was some light rust Took everything apart and scrubbed as best I could. Got some kroil today and will repeat the process. Will send remington an email asking when it was made.
Old June 10, 2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Virginian

I do not have a Flex-Tab on my '76 Wingmaster Magnum. I would have zero problem using it for anything. My choice. I also believe seat belt use should be between me and my insurance company.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old June 10, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13
entropy

I used to cut the slot in them, pre flex tab, but have never needed it personally, and hopefully never will.
Old June 12, 2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Ash

"So, you don't need a guard on your saws because you have never cut your hand off? You don't need a seat belt because you have never hit anything with your car and you sure don't need life insurance because you have never died."

But others have cut their hands off, others have flown through wind shields, others have died without taking financial care of their families.

Tell me, who has died or been seriously hurt by not having a flex tab?
http://www.fourfoolspress.com/
Old June 13, 2015, 02:42 AM   #15
Virginian

Quote:
Tell me, who has died or been seriously hurt by not having a flex tab?
First find someone who has actually had to fire one (1) round in actual self defense with an 870 or any shotgun. (I am not including our fine friends in law enforcement)
I am not saying you or anyone should or should not do it. I do not feel I need it based on my experience and potential usage. It's like sometimes I will ride the bike to the store, in shorts. My ass, my choice. I wear a helmet, but that's mandated, but I would anyway (just don't think it ought to be up to the government).

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old June 13, 2015, 08:54 AM   #16
Kookla

Contacted Remington and was informed that the gun was made in 1974, a year after my birth. The kroil got the rest of the crap out of the gun. I don't know what was in there- brown goop.... maybe grease or oil that turned? Anyway, looks great now.
Old June 13, 2015, 11:48 PM   #17
Drail

If you've ever seen a jammed 870 you will understand why the flex-tab was a very good idea. Even when you're not in a gunfight.
Old June 14, 2015, 02:53 AM   #18
Virginian

I have seen several people do it, with 1100s as well. I was always able to clear it for them with a pocketknife, but if they had needed to shoot they were SOL.

Old June 14, 2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Kookla

Virginian- are they off with giving the correct date?
Old June 14, 2015, 09:18 AM   #20
Virginian

I don't know, what's the serial number and date code on the barrel? Someone else may have done the Flex-Tab change. The Flex-Tab did not become available until way after 1974 - I don't remember them before the late '80s at least, and I am too lazy to go pouring through the catalogs. 1974 was about the peak of Wingmasters in my opinion. Originally had a walnut stock with Fleur de Lis checkering - plastic was unthought of except on an M-16, and a chrome lifter. The Sportsman 12 and matte black Expresses were still a decade away then.

Old June 14, 2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Kookla

The wingmaster I just picked up, doesn't have the flex tab. I called up Remington and gave them the serial number on the receiver- 1974. I'll check the barrel code a little later when I get the chance.
Old June 14, 2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Kookla

Ok, just looked at the barrel code- LY. It's a 28" ribbed full choke barrel. Reading a barrel code site online, 1974 is one of the possible years, but so is 1930, 2004, and some day 2031
Old June 14, 2015, 02:14 PM   #23
Hookeye

Some of us are good at popping furries.
Doesn't mean we aren't good at other.

Amazing how the major training proponents, are in the training business.

Of course they can take a flub and make him into a commando. And by golly they know all the mechanical aspects of the guns they recommend.

Too much liberal academic BS from the crap I've seen (and yeah, I've seen a fair bit).
Old June 14, 2015, 11:16 PM   #24
Virginian

If the serial number starts with 'S' or 'T', it's 1974. If it's 'D', it's 2004. Since it's a fixed Full choke it's almost a sure bet it's a 1974. Sometimes they do get it right.

Old July 19, 2015, 03:16 AM   #25
MyGreenGuns

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the flex tab?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin