Quantcast
good luck waterproofing those new boots - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old March 30, 2015, 10:12 PM   #1
1911 guy

good luck waterproofing those new boots

A lot of us buy fall and winter hunting gear in the off season, so we have it ready to go at opening day, also to save a few bucks by not buying during peak demand. Especially a good pair of boots. I was ctually lookinf for some both for boots and my two kids baseball gloves.

There's going to be a kink this year, though. The favorite and time-tested method has been mink oil. Relatively inexpensive and it works extremely well. Better than anything else i have tried. Mink oil is off the market, at least for now. The whackos at Animal Liberation Front claim to have spiked containers at retailers with a cyanic acid and SC Johnson, who owns Kiwi brand, has pulled it from shelves in response. Two links below, first from Wall Street Journal, which may have content blocked if you don't subscribe and the second from the whacko website.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...14373428064280

https://animalliberationpressoffice....13/11/14/2539/

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old March 30, 2015, 10:21 PM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Well, I for one gave up on trying to keep boots from leaking with grease when Gore-Tex was invented.

But it is still distressing to know products are being tampered with on the shelves..

A lot of people use mink oil for re-sizing lube in reloading, as well as in medical and cosmetic products.

rc
Old March 30, 2015, 11:05 PM   #3
ApacheCoTodd

I still stick by my old ones:

bees wax, blackrock's, skidmore's...
I guess I worry more about dissuading water than proofing against it.

Todd.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Shanghai McCoy

I've been using Sno-seal for many years, it's less greasy.
Too bad the wackos have done this to the mink oil folks though.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:28 PM   #5
OYE

Plastiseam works pretty well on boot seams, if you can find any, and do it before you grease them up. Fills the thread holes and coats the exposed thread.
We use Hubbards on the rest of the shoe leather. Wearing gaiters can help a lot
(and keeps your pant legs from shredding).

Finding comfortable well made shoes and pac boots seem to be the biggest challenge. Cabelas seem to discontinue every pac boot that we really like. We have 2 pair of leather Meindls here that are probably the best made leather boots we've ever owned and one of them is also the most uncomfortable pair we've ever owned, like walking on wooden shoes. After 15 years the leather and soles are finally flexible enough to wear occasionally with a thick pair of proper insoles. OYE

Last edited by OYE; March 30, 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:46 PM   #6
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Wet?

L.L. Bean Maine Guide boots has a history of being good, and dry.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50669...r-llbean-boots

And Muck Boots are the best I have ever worn for comfort and dry.
http://www.muckbootcompany.com/categ...FU4V7Aod1DAAiQ

Sometimes, you need to change it up from leather boots if you want dry feet.

rc
Old March 31, 2015, 12:14 AM   #7
OYE

Quote:
Wet?

L.L. Bean Maine Guide boots has a history of being good, and dry.

Looked at those l.l. bean they look comfortable. I need bob soles,though. I don't need the Muck boot style. Got that covered. Use the military Mouse and Bunny boots for extreme cold or real wet. Find them to be quite comfortable. Dump the water out and you are good to go.

The best pac boots we've ever owned were the plain old Cabelas snow pacs.
We've walked hundreds and hundreds of miles in them over the last 15 years. And wore several pairs out. One pair stashed yet. We don't like to get desperate. They seem to be discontinued, so we have to be on the lookout.
Use over the calf military sealskin socks in them. Feet dry always whether water or sweat. Thanks for the tips RC . OYE
Old March 31, 2015, 01:54 AM   #8
ElevenBravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
A lot of us buy fall and winter hunting gear in the off season, so we have it ready to go at opening day, also to save a few bucks by not buying during peak demand. Especially a good pair of boots. I was ctually lookinf for some both for boots and my two kids baseball gloves.

There's going to be a kink this year, though. The favorite and time-tested method has been mink oil. Relatively inexpensive and it works extremely well. Better than anything else i have tried. Mink oil is off the market, at least for now. The whackos at Animal Liberation Front claim to have spiked containers at retailers with a cyanic acid and SC Johnson, who owns Kiwi brand, has pulled it from shelves in response. Two links below, first from Wall Street Journal, which may have content blocked if you don't subscribe and the second from the whacko website.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...14373428064280

https://animalliberationpressoffice....13/11/14/2539/
Interesting. The story is 2 years old, though. Not a lot of mention of it. Regardless, Kiwi Mink Oil is available on Amazon, plus there are plenty of alternatives. I did read that SC Johnson had been planning on phasing out mink oil from their products at the time. The bunnyhuggers will claim any change as victory.
Old March 31, 2015, 05:43 AM   #9
Davek1977

AS mentioned, the article seems to be from 2013. Google Shopping shows Kiwi Mink Oil available from a few different sources currently. If you want it, its there. It may not bne quite as easy to find as it once was, but its not "gone" either

Last edited by Davek1977; March 31, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old March 31, 2015, 08:06 AM   #10
22-rimfire

Good to hear that Mink Oil is still available. It is one of those things that you go buy when you need it versus thinking about it..... oh my, got to have a supply of mink oil on hand just in case the world does a flip flop.

Those animal rights people are crazy. Elephants seems to be their thing these days.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:27 AM   #11
Robert

All my boots are either Gore Tex or pack boots from Schnee's.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old March 31, 2015, 10:32 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodel View Post
Well, I for one gave up on trying to keep boots from leaking with grease when Gore-Tex was invented.

Same here. With grease and oils, the same process that doesn't let water in, doesn't let sweat out. At the end of the day, you still have wet feet.
Back when there were none of the new fabric liners available, I found that Sno-Seal worked better than anything else. Waterproofed without over softening or breaking down the leather, causing premature cracks and splits. Animal oil products have also been known to rot leather and the stitching used to hold boots together. I also used Sno-seal on baseball gloves and hockey gloves with excellent results.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old March 31, 2015, 11:48 AM   #13
Kingcreek

another vote for Sno-Seal.
Old March 31, 2015, 12:25 PM   #14
OYE

We do mix up beeswax and pine tar (over the stove) when we run out of the Hubbards. If you want it more like Snowseal or Obenaufs use less pine tar. We usually need to soften the leather a bit so we use a bit more pine tar. We have used harness oil and beeswax as well.
OYE
Old March 31, 2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Patocazador

Mink oil is the best patch lube in cold weather for patched round balls. It stays soft in freezing temps.

Bob
Old March 31, 2015, 01:59 PM   #16
TimSr

I guess its time to get some whale blubber.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:13 PM   #17
d2wing

I do a lot of walking often in wet areas and in snow late season bird hunting. I have worn out lots of boots. My favorites are kangaroo skin with Goretex. I used mink oil, then Snoseal. But like others said, Goretex breaths and it doesn't collect dirt and dust. Pack boots and muck boots work ok for yard work but they are crappy for covering ground. You need quality boots for serious hunting in slick rough terrain and heavy grass.
Old March 31, 2015, 03:46 PM   #18
jmr40

Mink oil has to be the worst waterproofing I've ever used. Didn't think anyone still used it anyway. Sno-Seal is far better and easily available. The Obenauf's stuff is even better, but a little harder to find.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old March 31, 2015, 09:03 PM   #19
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Well, I never used it for waterproofing as it really doesn't work. Goretex does. However, mink oil is a fantastic product for conditioning leather, boots or anything else. I've used it on dress boots. Getting some new Justins and don't have any mink oil, bummer.

Another GREAT product is Aussie leather conditioner. I don't know about watef proofing, but it is a great conditioner. I raced motorcycles for a lot of years. Road racing is rain or shine. That's why they make rain tires. Racing leathers get soaked through and dry stiff. This stuff brought 'em back to life big time, soft and supple.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebing-AULC00...er+conditioner

Old April 4, 2015, 08:17 AM   #20
Lloyd Smale

anhydrous lanolin. (sheep fat rendered down) I use it for dry cracked hands and feet, making bullet lube, case lube and waterproof leather. You can buy it at your local pharmacy or on ebay. Just make sure you by anhydrous. Normal lanolin is water based and doesn't work well. Most leather conditioners are made from this and they just add beeswax because its cheaper. the 100 percent stuff is better.
Old April 5, 2015, 02:16 AM   #21
gamestalker

So, now they're doing exactly what I've been fearing they would do more frequently.

Like RC, I stopped using the bee's wax, mink oil, silicone spray, and all the other water proofing products when GorTex hit the market.

I do however give my boots a light application of bee's wax one or twice per year, but that's just to keep the leather from drying and cracking. Speaking of, I have a pair of Cabela boots I bought in like 1999 that I've put like a gazillion miles on, and those boots are still 100% water proof, 800 grams Thinsulate, GorTex lined, they just need new soles. I bought a replacement pair last year, same exact model as the old one's. Wish I had known that the old one's were guaranteed for life before dropping the money on them. I called Cabela's up the next day, and they said send them in, they'll ship a new pair to me, NC.

GS
Old April 5, 2015, 07:00 AM   #22
hso

Readily available off of Amazon so this isn't relevant any longer.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...words=mink+oil
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Closed Thread