Running a Washing machine outside? - THR

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 28, 2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Dr. Sandman
Running a Washing machine outside?

So, Mrs. Sandman tends to do A LOT of laundry and use various scented detergents and stuff. I am relatively paranoid with regard to my scent control and I find myself running an empty load or 2 in our washer before I put my camo in there just to clean the washing machine! I had an idea of buying a cheap washing machine just for my camo and keeping it in a non-heated pole barn. How well would that work? Has anyone done anything similar? Could you somehow rig it up to drain COMPLETELY after each use to avoid freeze issues? Thanks!
The AR-15 gets cleaned after each use.
The AK-47 has never been cleaned.
The Mosin-Nagant was last cleaned in Berlin, in 1945.
Old September 28, 2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Doubt it would be hard to drain the waste line. If you can figure out how to winterize your supply lines and waste lines from the area (maybe you can get away with a "greywater" dump?) then I don't think it would be that hard to winterize your machine. Heck, just push some RV anti-freeze through it before real cold weather.

It sure is a good thing all these manufacturers came up with scent-locking and sent-blocking technology, because nobody ever killed a deer before we had such creative ways to spend so much money.
-- Sam

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
For Sale
Old September 28, 2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Well here is the way I would do it , build a box around the washer and insulate it with an inch or two of Styrofoam make a top and hinge it ant insulate it the same way . Install an electrical box down low inside and put in a light bulb socket and a 100 watt bulb. Your water line would have to come in under ground inside the box or be valves top and bottom so when the water is shut off you can drain the line. If you dig a hole about 2'x2'x2' put in a 5 gallon bucket drilled full of holes and fill in around the bucket with gravel, now you have a French drain to run the washer water into. The light bulb will keep anything inside the box from freezing
Old September 28, 2015, 03:26 PM   #4
External clothes I hand wash with baking soda in place of detergent. Clothes that are not external that I am still concerned about, I use baking soda in place of laundry detergent in the machine.
Old September 28, 2015, 03:30 PM   #5
If you stand hunt, just leave some of your dirty laundry in the stand... that way they'll be used to the smell.
Old September 28, 2015, 04:04 PM   #6
I'm sure it could be done, but I'm also sure there are better options. I'm not that anal about scent control, but others that I know only wash their hunting clothes on rare occasions. They just take them off and store them in a plastic garbage bag and get them back out the next time. Maybe only wash them before and after the season.

I have to drive past a house to get into an area of public land where I sometimes hunt. The home owner is obviously a dedicated hunter because his hunting wardrobe stays outside on the clothes line the entire hunting season. He apparently walks out into his yard and gets what he needs for each hunt. He hangs it back on the line when done.
Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old September 28, 2015, 04:42 PM   #7
If you hunt from a tree stand, morning thermals will lift your scent up and away.
If a deer is downwind of you, you are probably 'caught' regardless of how clean your clothes are.
Life's short, have some fun.

Old September 28, 2015, 05:04 PM   #8
All of my predator hunting gear gets washed with some cheap unscented detergent , and only to remove the scent of me and my body oils/skin.. I then store all of them in Rubbermaid totes with Pete Moss dumped on them, and sealed until ready to use.
I smell like fresh dirt when on stand, If I get winded, then it's my own fault..
Im gonna say what I gotta say,and then I swear I'll go away, but I cannot promise you'll enjoy the noise
Old September 28, 2015, 05:08 PM   #9
You can always put some baking soda in your laundry - works well for smells, both on the clothes and in the washer
"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old September 28, 2015, 06:18 PM   #10
jim in Anchorage
When I lived in NY I spent hundreds of hours in tree stands during the bow season. And I would smoke. Open oak woods so I could see deer 200 yards away. Not once did I see one that appeared to be alarmed by some thing it smelled.
"I've now been in 57 states, I think one left to go"
Old September 28, 2015, 07:23 PM   #11
I you take the lift hose off of the washer it will drain at the pump.

Old September 28, 2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Contributing Member
I just make sure the wind is in my face, no special washing for me.
Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns, is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.
Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.....Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Old September 29, 2015, 12:14 PM   #13
I see no real advantage to using a separate machine for hunting clothes. Running a rinse cycle or two with baking soda in the water with the regular machine before doing your hunting clothes would probably do as much good. That's what I generally do, along with drying them with baking soda and then leaving them outside, or packed in bags with earth/pine branches from the area I hunt. Still, I always try to place my stand downwind of where I expect the animals to come from.
Guns are like Harleys and women.....you can never have too many.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old September 29, 2015, 04:25 PM   #14
I typically run 2 loads of towels with my hunting detergent and baking soda prior to washing my hunting stuff. Then it gets air dried hanging on the fence outside all day. From there it goes into a rubbermaid tub and sits until I put it on, right before I go into the woods.

The scent coming off your body is going to be much more powerful than your clothes after air drying.

You can try and make your clothes as scent free as possible but you will never beat a deer's nose. What is that old saying...Full time deer, part time hunter.
Old September 29, 2015, 05:23 PM   #15
Sit in front of a camp fire for a few hours, that should cover up any fragrance.
"My right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Joe S.
Old September 29, 2015, 05:56 PM   #16
I've had plenty of luck deer hunting, and have never taken any special measures with my clothes,. Even the 10 years I smoked and hunted both, I never had any issues and got my deer every year. YMMV
Old September 30, 2015, 09:33 AM   #17
Nature Boy
In my experience, if the wind is working against you, you're busted no matter what sent control measures you take. I've read a few articles that back that up.

If the wind is in your favor you could be smoking a cigar while taking a leak off your stand and the deer would walk right past you if you're not moving.

As a matter of fact, I can think of one time where I had a deer walk out on me when I had my other gun in my hand
Old October 1, 2015, 02:54 PM   #18
Contributing Member
Down here where I live, most everyone has a washer on the front porch of their trailer. Sort of a status symbol, you know...
Old October 2, 2015, 01:15 PM   #19
"...rig it up to drain..." Of course, just don't let it drain down just any drain. The storm sewers for example are not connected to water treatment.
What do you think is in your hunting clothes that is not in your regular clothes?
Old October 2, 2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Been bow hunting with recurves all my life.
My deer gear ... I run one cycle through the washer with "no scent soap" washing some misc. jeans or shirts that go for walks or the kayak.
Then I wash my deer gear with the same no scent UV soap. Hang dry out side on the line. Straight into the large garbage bags with cut apples inside. The apples I get from the ground under apple trees.
Hunting day all my outer layer gear gets rubbed with cut apples. Also bow, quiver and arrows. Boots get it 3x. Last 50 yards into my stand area the boots get it again especially on the lowers.
I have deer track me to my stand and lick the apple flavor off the tree pegs. I hunt river bottoms in a major deer hide area down below corn and bean fields.
Mike in Peru
Old October 2, 2015, 02:28 PM   #21
a bit off topic.. but it got me thinking. drain completely and not freeze up.

my first thought was an old ringer washing machine. they can be emptied. might be a bit more work than you want though, lol.
Old October 3, 2015, 01:07 AM   #22
Contributing Member
I doubt you can completely drain an automatic washer well enough to prevent freeze damage.

Why not just get an old wash tub and do your hunting clothes by hand.

Then hang them outside to dry??

But, I'm in the don't matter anyway crowd.

I have had deer walk up to me after being at work all night and wearing the same clothes.
While smoking a cigarette and coughing my lungs out.

They ain't that oder sensitive if you aren't making any movement to catch their eye.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Or all your primers in a glass jar!
Old October 3, 2015, 09:41 AM   #23
FWIW I have stored "hand me down" washing machines over the years down at our farm in non climate controlled storage and never had one busted from freeze damage when put back into service some years later.

For that matter the one in our A frame cabin never gets any special treatment even though we shut off the water, drain the H2O heater and flush the toilet and put a cap full of antifreeze in the bowl, to prevent freeze damage, when we are not there.
"My right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Joe S.
Old October 3, 2015, 02:37 PM   #24
One of the most successful deer hunters I ever encountered had an in-stand ritual of smoking like a chimney (not recommended on account of the detrimental health effects) sipping brandy (possibly illegal and unsafe if done to excess) and eating pepperoni.
My website
Lo-fi Gun and Game
Old October 4, 2015, 11:05 AM   #25
While clean clothes are helpful, if the wind is from the wrong direction they will smell you anyway.

Throw a handful of baking soda in the rinse water and don't worry about it.

Unless you hunt really remote areas, most deer are accustomed to smelling all sorts of things that are unnatural, but won't alarm them.
One shot, one kill