Quantcast
Wife killed her first deer!! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 24, 2015, 03:44 PM   #1
CarJunkieLS1

Wife killed her first deer!!

So today after hunting all season long my wife finally was able to get a shot on a deer. It was a small doe, but a legal deer none the less. It was ~125 yards away making a brisk walk right at the shooting house we were sitting in. My wife got her gun out the window and was following the deer in the crosshairs. I took my grunt call and made a loud grunt and the deer put the brakes on immediately 55 yards away the deer was slightly quartering toward us. A few seconds later I hear a boom and the doe bucked her back legs like a wild horse and sprinted towards the tree line.

She had her front onside leg pulled off the ground so I knew she hit her, but I feared a fleshwound. After 30 minutes we climbed down and we found ALOT of deer hair and only a few drops of blood. It didn't look good, but we followed the tracks (no blood) into the thicket and gradually saw more and more blood. Fortyish yards in we found her dead.

The bullet was a .243 Win 95gr NBT going ~2850 fps it did kill the deer, but it exploded inside the deer. It did break the onside shoulder, but I found no damage to the lungs or heart. The onside shoulder was destroyed, but all I found was the broken shoulder and pieces of copper jacket the bullet did not exit. I'm at a loss as to what killed the deer my guess is a piece of the bullet severed the aorta and it bled out internally. Next year my wife will be shooting Accubonds or Partitions.

Old January 24, 2015, 03:46 PM   #2
dab102999

Very nice and congrats to her.
Old January 24, 2015, 04:58 PM   #3
yzguy87

Congrats to her! What kind of gun did she use?
Old January 24, 2015, 06:15 PM   #4
CarJunkieLS1

Its a Savage 110 .243 w/ an aftermarket Boyds Laminate stock. It shoots really good and you wouldn't ever guess it if you looked in the barrel (rough)

Shoots my handloads into less than an inch.
Old January 24, 2015, 06:25 PM   #5
Captcurt

Congrats. Now reward her.

I have had similar results with the Nosler BT. Went to Accubonds and never looked back and I shoot some sizzler calibers like 257 Weatherby and 300 WSM.

Now you need to make a fashion statement and get her an Official Jackie Bushman Deer Killing Bandana.
Old January 24, 2015, 08:52 PM   #6
ridgerunner1965

ive shot over 30 deer with the 243. my bullet of choice has always been rem 100grn core lokt factory ammo.
i reload but the factory rem ammo works so well in my gun that i dont use reloads for hunting deer.

i have shot deer from point blank out to almost 300 yrds and the core lokt bullets never failed to perform perfectly. i have never recovered a bullet from a deer with my 243. at 15 yrds a lung shot gets a quarter size exit hole. at 200 yrds a lung shot gets a quarter sized exit hole. the only thing i find is that with shoulder shots you will lose a lot of meat. however the deer will be bang flop.

oddly i have recovered bullets from deer at nominal ranges from my 30-06 a few times.

i am now shooting a 6.5x55 and it is working about as good as the 243. maybe 10 deer on its roster.
Old January 24, 2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Fremmer

Congrats and good shot. I like a SP for that caliber, like a Remington core-lokt. At least you get an exit wound with those.
Old January 24, 2015, 09:21 PM   #8
CarJunkieLS1

I'm thinking 100gr Nosler Partitions for next year.
Old January 24, 2015, 09:59 PM   #9
short barrel

I never considered the .243 to be much of a hunting rifle, but your wife proves me dead wrong. Good job on her part.
Old January 25, 2015, 09:48 AM   #10
CarJunkieLS1

I have never used a .243 on deer but dang was I impressed with the shoulder damage on this deer. Its onside shoulder was in pieces and it didn't go far. If I can get that kind of damage out of a .243 with a bullet that exploded on impact. I can't wait to see what a premium controlled expansion bullet will do. If I load 95gr Partitions and get the same accuracy with them there isn't a deer she can't drop with that rifle.
Old January 25, 2015, 01:07 PM   #11
buck460XVR

The smile on her face tells it all. Doubt if this will be her last.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old January 25, 2015, 01:12 PM   #12
wankerjake

Congrats!

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow."
Old January 25, 2015, 09:58 PM   #13
Patocazador

Congratulations to your wife.

I quit using ballistic tips 20 years ago. If you hit bone going in, the deer may get away with a shredded shoulder. If the bullet goes in the lung cavity, you'll be digging out bullet fragments as far back as the tenderloins.
The partitions are expensive but worth it.

Bob
Old January 27, 2015, 11:43 PM   #14
tahoe2

Congrats ! That young lady did Well ! Now hook her up with some Partitions !
Old January 31, 2015, 10:10 PM   #15
onetohunt

Very nice, congrats!!
Old February 2, 2015, 05:01 PM   #16
03fatboy
Contributing Member

Congratulations, nothing like getting your first deer.
Has she stopped smiling yet?
Old February 2, 2015, 05:05 PM   #17
CarJunkieLS1

She's still talking about it. And she can't wait till next year. She's wanting to go to the range to practice more. She told me to load her up some deer killers so she can practice.
Old February 2, 2015, 05:50 PM   #18
Arkansas Paul

Congrats.
My wife killed her first the year before last. I even made her go to the man cave with me and load up a few of her own rounds.

Hers was also with a .243 Win. 85 grain SGK BTHP behind a starting charge of H380.

That's awesome man. I love it when we get the ladies and young ones involved with hunting.
Old February 3, 2015, 08:35 AM   #19
03fatboy
Contributing Member

That's awesome
Old February 8, 2015, 08:00 AM   #20
jbauch357

Congrats on the deer!

I repeatedly had the same experience with NBT expanding way too fast (on mule and black tail deer) and moved to Hornady Interlock which has been perfect in every way.
Old February 9, 2015, 08:48 PM   #21
surjimmy

Congrats to your Wife. Mine hunts with me also, we are very lucky men. We have always used Winchester Power Points 80gr. since 2008. There are 4 of us, including our youngest Son and Nephew who are now both 17. We have shot a total of 28 deer where we hunt, and have recovered all of them including a 260lb'erand several around the 200lb range.
Old February 10, 2015, 11:13 AM   #22

I think the .243 is perfect for our 150lb whitetails.I've taken more than 50 with it from 20 to 270 yards. I use 100 grain core-lokts and hand loaded 100 grain spitzers.The spitzers shoot a little flatter for the long field shots when I'm the watcher on deer drives.

Last edited by 3212; February 11, 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:15 AM   #23
Choctaw

Well done! Congratulations to you both.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:42 PM   #24
22250Rem

Congrats to the wife.... The smile says it all. My wife also got her first deer, (a big doe) last year. Only problem was she used her 2012 Dodge Journey instead of a .243; and it still didn't die until a county sheriff polished it off for her with his handgun. She was so worried about her vehicle that she let someone else take the deer. Oh well; at least somebody got some venison out of the deal and nobody got injured.
Old February 16, 2015, 01:09 AM   #25
Hardtarget

I think your mentioned bullet choice for next year sounds just right. Something a bit tougher for deep penetration. You won't be following her deer very far...not with her good shooting!

Congrats on her successful hunt. I'm thinking venison chili and some jerky....yum yum!

Mark