Quantcast
Squirrel season is in - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 17, 2016, 06:00 PM   #1
fouled bore

Squirrel season is in

Get the kids and let's go hunting. Let's see some pictures of some successful hunts.
Old August 22, 2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Shot 1 yesterday morning. I was barefoot and in my underwear. No camo. Used a 20g from the front porch. Dang things have been chewing my cedar porch to splinters. Gonna keep shooting then to save what's left of my porch.
Funny thing is I live in a grove of walnut trees. Last year a disabled vet asked if he could hunt and I gave him a comfortable chair in the shade and some ice tea. He shot 8 in 3 days then I never saw him again.
Old August 22, 2016, 08:36 PM   #3
ridgerunner1965

i havent had a mess of squirrel in a couple years.after the first frost i may go out after some grays.

i think i will lightly pressure cook them then bread and fry.

also a good time to look for deer sign.

i wish i had a kid to take hunting but my son has ran off to engineering school.
Old August 22, 2016, 08:44 PM   #4
au_prospector

Quote:
Funny thing is I live in a grove of walnut trees. Last year a disabled vet asked if he could hunt and I gave him a comfortable chair in the shade and some ice tea. He shot 8 in 3 days then I never saw him again.
Wish he would come to my house. Damned things ate all my peaches and apples. I got three with an airgun. Shhhh dont tell the neighbors, I think they feed them cracked corn. We are in a drought so they probably got full on dry corn and came to my fruit trees looking for moisture. Saw a hawk take one, blessed raptor.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Vern Humphrey

Squirrel season in Arkansas starts in May and runs through the end of February. I generally stay away from warm weather squirrel hunting because of the "wuffs" -- bot flies that lay their eggs in squirrels' skin and produce nasty-looking things that crawl out of the cooling body.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:39 PM   #6
vincyr

I'm getting antsy to go get me some squirrel. Season doesn't start in NY till Sept 1. Gonna hit the hickory stands in the state woods down the road as soon as I get the chance.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.”
― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

"What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from,say, the average voter."
– also Terry Pratchett
Old August 24, 2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
I generally stay away from warm weather squirrel hunting because of the "wuffs" -- bot flies that lay their eggs in squirrels' skin and produce nasty-looking things that crawl out of the cooling body.
Last deer season I had been seeing a couple of big rabbits while on my deer stand. Now there's not much in this world that makes a better meal than a young tender fried rabbit.
So I slip in there one evening just before dark to put out corn for the weekend deer hunt. I take along my .22 in case I see one of the big rabbits.
Sure enough right before I get to my food plot there he is. I shot him and the bullet ripped his neck open. Out of the exit wound, one of those huge things comes crawling out.

Made me sick to feed a fresh rabbit to the dogs. I'd not have shot him if I'd known.

Accuracy and wishful thinking won't make up for poor bullet/load selection. - Craig C
Old August 24, 2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Vern Humphrey

I've had people tell me it's okay to eat rabbits and squirrels with "wuffs" -- but not me.
Old August 25, 2016, 08:57 AM   #9
cowpoke

love squirrel an hunting them.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Sniper66

Squirrel season here in Kansas starts June 1st, but the hot humid weather has kept me out of the woods. Maybe soon. In the meantime, I'll take all my squirrel rifles to the range to be sure the scopes are zeroed, sharpen my knife, check my ammo supply, locate my walking/shooting stick, sort through my camo clothing to repair or replace old stuff, oil my boots, renew my permission to hunt numerous farms, go to a couple of auctions and maybe buy another squirrel rifle, go fishing while waiting for better squirrel hunting weather....I think that's about it.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:11 PM   #11
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Squirrel season never closes here and there's no bag limits. I prefer to hunt 'em in the spring after deer season ends. Not so hot that time of year. I just really can't get in to hunting in 100 degree 90 percent humidity.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:55 PM   #12
FL-NC

Its weird- in warm weather they are all around the house stealing bird seed, foraging for acorns, etc.- but after the frost they are few and far between.
Old August 27, 2016, 06:55 PM   #13

As a farm boy,I would stalk a lane between cornfields and woods to take squirrels on the run.The season opened in October.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM   #14
ajd3530

Season started up today (I guess yesterday) here in TN. I however have absolutely 0 interest in going through the woods when the heat index is in the mid 90s.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #15
TRX

> He shot 8 in 3 days then I never saw him again.

Maybe he hasn't run out of pork yet!
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #16
Shanghai McCoy

There are a few fox squirrels around here but too danged hot and humid to mess with em. Same for the rabbits, season is all year here in Kansas but I'll wait till winter.