Quantcast
Lion & Gemsbok (Oryx) Kalahari hunting update from overseas, POV video. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 25, 2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Ardent

Lion & Gemsbok (Oryx) Kalahari hunting update from overseas, POV video.

Kalahari Gemsbok (Oryx) hunt, after two solid days of following tracks and getting busted, stretched the Merkel .375 H&H's legs over the irons on this shot and dropped a nice bull. Yes, it is indeed the Kalahari despite all the green, the seasonal rains had arrived just prior and were the wettest in almost a decade. We couldn't see what happened with the Gemsbok at that range as the shot rang, Gemsbok ran everywhere and our view was obscured by land / grass / bush, hence the run to the spot, an odd practice for those of us used to NA hunting. We found him down on the spot. Took a big male Lion as well, the double rifle and the .375 H&H did their job wonderfully. Have footage from the same perspective on Lion but requires much more work, as it's hours of footage tracking. This is the Lion as he fell, I always take a pic of that, so not staged or pretty and the only pic I currently have handy. Hell of a creature to hunt and a new respect for many aspects of dangerous game hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWaZk1MGPuY

www.morrisonarms.com

Old February 25, 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Patocazador

That was a very good shot with open sights.

That lion is a real nice one. If you can afford a lion, you must be wealthy.

Bob
Old February 25, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
JJHACK

Every lion is spectacular, that's automatic

But that is one hella lekker bull gemsbok!
Old February 25, 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
H&Hhunter
Contributing Member

Nice shooting. And thank you for demonstrating with video the fact that a double rifle is no more range limited than any other rifle of comparable caliber. There are so many false assumptions made about doubles from people who don't shoot them.

I agree with JJ that is a muy lekker gemsbok!

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” - H.L. Mencken
Old February 26, 2014, 10:49 AM   #5
yzguy87

Pretty cool! Congrats on a couple nice animals!

Oh, and nice video too! The lion video would be sweet if you get it up!
Old March 13, 2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Ardent

Thanks guys, here's the full video with the Lion as well:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fPbRbm3WJFs
Old March 13, 2014, 04:44 PM   #7
yzguy87

^^^
Thanks for posting this. Been looking forward to it! I haven't been able to check it out yet because I'm preoccupied at the moment with my baby but ill watch it after my wife gets home.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:47 PM   #8
Ardent

Good stuff, know the drill have a couple little ones of my own. Our youngest was 7 months and came on this trip, you'll see him at the end of the video.
Old March 13, 2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Sam Cade

So... what does one do with a dead lion?

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old March 13, 2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Ardent

Every single scrap gets eaten, even the organ meat. There's no meat the Africans there savour more than Lion, for whatever reason. That Lion was literally a pink skeleton within a couple hours, never seen anything more completely deboned.

The skin and skull are coming home to my place, will be a rug and the skull is a fascinating looking specimen.
Old March 13, 2014, 05:59 PM   #11
Sam Cade

Quote:
Every single scrap gets eaten, even the organ meat.
That is pretty disgusting when you consider the parasitic load that some big carnivores carry.

Also, I was under the impression that lion was considered inedible.

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
Old March 13, 2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Ardent

Indeed, but not in Africa, anything protein is edible. Much of the lean cuts aren't even cooked, but just dried in the sun. I've also seen a half rotten Giraffe eaten on a previous trip, the stench was so bad it was hard to handle and some of the meat literally gray-green. Still eaten.

We turn our noses and stomaches at this stuff, but honestly it's admirable use of resources and the animals. We westerners are pretty "soft"!
Old March 13, 2014, 06:53 PM   #13
H&Hhunter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Also, I was under the impression that lion was considered inedible.
I also eaten quite a bit of mt lion. It is a very nice white meat much like pork. I've also had some bobcat and it was also very nice. Every part of a lion that isn't eaten in Africa is used for some type of art or cultural token. Lions are considered powerful medicine and their various parts are revered for their magical or power giving or medicinal abilities. the fat from a lion is thought to heal everything from chapped lips to cancer. Even in today's Africa.

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” - H.L. Mencken
Old March 13, 2014, 07:01 PM   #14
BigG

What a great hunt and great video! Thanks for sharing!
Old March 13, 2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Ardent

Thanks for the kind words, I assure you it was fun making it! And H&H indeed, once you forget you' re eating cat, or ignore that thought, not bad at all.
Old March 13, 2014, 07:31 PM   #16
ridgerunner1965

i did not know lion was considered good eating in africa.learn something new every day.

perhaps its a tad of revenge for all the africans the lions have eaten?
Old March 14, 2014, 11:48 AM   #17
Patocazador

My daughter came home from school in the 4th grade and told us she had a piece of lion for a snack. I called the school and asked them to verify her story. They said they had a wild meat processor who donated giraffe, lion, ostrich, and antelope packages for their "cultural diversity" day. I told them I wanted prior notification BEFORE the next time they had samples for the kids so I could screen the items first.

My daughter said the lion was tough and tasteless. Her favorite food is fried deer heart.

Bob
Old March 14, 2014, 12:03 PM   #18
H&Hhunter
Contributing Member

Quote:
I told them I wanted prior notification BEFORE the next time they had samples for the kids so I could screen the items first.
What are you worried about?

Old March 14, 2014, 12:41 PM   #19
Patocazador

If they do that without notification, food allergies and religious food restrictions could come into play. Peanuts, for example.
Don't you think that parents should be aware of what the schools are doing with your kids?

Bob
Old March 14, 2014, 01:15 PM   #20
hartcreek

If a forth grader does not know their own allergies by then a parent is not doing their job.
Old March 14, 2014, 08:05 PM   #21
H&Hhunter
Contributing Member

Quote:
If they do that without notification, food allergies and religious food restrictions could come into play.
Interesting, how would you know that your child was allergic to lion meat? Are there any religious restrictions against eating lions and wouldn't your child know if there were. Was the child forced to eat the lion?

The nanny-ism involved in schools and society in general is simply out of control.

Old March 14, 2014, 08:41 PM   #22
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&Hhunter View Post
The nanny-ism involved in schools and society in general is simply out of control.
You ain't kiddin'.
My wife (a teacher,) made cupcakes for a class party my then 7 year old son was having. The school "food lady" tossed them in the dumpster and declared that only store bought items were allowed.

The same woman tried to confiscate my son's deer summer sausage-on-crackers lunch since it made her "uncomfortable".

Tried.

Old March 14, 2014, 09:34 PM   #23
Rick R

Great video!

My wife took her Gemsbok with an iron sighted Mauser sporter in 8x57 at about 40 yards. They are a great beast! Underrated as they occasionally fend off lions with those horns.

I've been close to a lion twice in RSA but in a vehicle. Intentionally being on foot close enough to kill one takes a set of cajones. Just having a male lion look at you in the wild gives you an inkling of how a mouse feels when the cat is near by.
Old March 14, 2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Ardent

I agree, it's a whole different ball game too when you hear a pissed off one. Gemsbok are indeed an amazing creature, during the run to the animal when the PH talks to me he says, "If it jumps up, you must shoot it, WATCH the horns." Brave, and majestic animals, as are the Lions.
Old March 14, 2014, 10:16 PM   #25
Ardent

Bob, I think it's great the school is able to introduce kids to interesting things outside of all the terrible crap we eat these days. I wouldn't be concerned at all, I wish my kids could have the same kind of culinary adventure at school one day. To my knowledge there is zero risk of an allergy to certain protein / meat, if you can eat beef you can eat Lion or Warthog or Deer or Salamander.

I can certainly understand your shock, in my opinion pretty darn neat though.

PS to the thread, I'll have another video from the same perspective on more dangerous game / Big Five in November.