Quantcast
Coyote or bear? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 6, 2014, 04:13 PM   #1
courtgreene

Coyote or bear?

So, I shot this guy last night. I couldn't find it but with a beagle nothing is lost forever and this morning we tracked him down. I gutted it, but notice the hind quarters were chewed up over night. I know there are both bears and coyotes in the area and wanted to know based on the photo what y'all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (189.5 KB, 160 views)

Mute: this is either a verb, in which one silences something, or a descriptive word for a condition of being silent.
Old December 6, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Patocazador

No way to tell from the photo IMO. If it was found late by a bear, you may have spooked it off before it got going good. If it was found earlier in the night, probably coyote(s).
Look at the tracks around it. That should tell you.

Bob
Old December 6, 2014, 05:21 PM   #3
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I'd say coyote, fox, or a possum.

I think a bear would have took a much bigger chunk out of it!

rc
Old December 6, 2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Flintknapper

Hard to know for certain, but that is 'classic' coyote consumption (start at the hindquarters). Bear will often eviscerate the animal and consume the internal organs first.

Look for tracks around the deer. Another clue...would be to see if the deer looks to have been dragged. Coyotes will 'pull' at the animal to dislodge flesh (often skidding it around) whereas bear use their feet to pin the animal and pull the flesh away.

Either way, it/they didn't leave you much.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:12 PM   #5
buck460XVR

A bear would have drug it off and covered it with brush to finish later. Also, like Flintknapper stated, a bear would have gone for the innards first. I bet on 'yotes.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old December 6, 2014, 09:34 PM   #6
OYE

I'd have to go with a stray dog on this one. Looks like the work of a Basset hound with a thorn in his right front paw. Either that or a family of four opossums. OYE
Old December 6, 2014, 09:44 PM   #7
witchhunter

I'm with Flintknapper. Nailed by coyotes.
Old December 7, 2014, 12:34 AM   #8
RJTravel

You hit the deer and it ran off, which means it was alive at that point. I have seen the result from a pack of coyotes - they don't leave much if anything. A bear, on the other hand, will eat part of the animal and then lay on and take a nap on the still alive animal until hungry again. Keeps fresh that way. I don't really know if that is the norm, but I have personally experienced that. I'd be interested to know if that happens frequently.
Old December 7, 2014, 01:46 AM   #9
caribou

Bears, wolves, Lynx ect often eat the tongue and then the rear, where the fat is.Theyll eat forward, often going for the guts and the fats on the intestines and the soft , easily and quickly eat organs.

True also is that a Bear would have buried it, and if you look around, you will find tracks. When a Bear is involved, our dog go's nuts, Wolves are not so exciting.

If I were Wolfing and found this, Id set up on a high spot as far away as possible and keep an eye out for em, maybe set a trap or two.
Old December 7, 2014, 03:59 AM   #10
H&Hhunter

Classic coyote...

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” - H.L. Mencken
Old December 7, 2014, 10:17 AM   #11
X-Rap

Probably a single coyote that happened on it by chance. I've seen a pack of coyotes clean up a mule deer overnight pretty much picked to the bone.
Canines almost always seem to start eating from the vent once they settle down for the meal.
Old December 7, 2014, 04:40 PM   #12
mnhntr

Most likely coyote, bears and cats will usually cover their kills with leaves and brush or carry it into a thick brushy area.
NRA Certified Instructor
Basic Pistol - Personal Protection in the Home - MN Permit to Carry - Advanced Defensive Handgun
Old December 9, 2014, 02:50 PM   #13
brainwake

We had a similar situation once, but for us, the dog drug up just the skull and spine the next morning. So we assumed it was a pack of yotes. They sure cleaned it up fast...talk about not leaving much behind.
Old December 9, 2014, 11:55 PM   #14
gamestalker

That's almost certainly the work of coyotes. Notice how it's shredded, rather than large chunks missing? A bear would have taken most, if not all of the hind quarters and then some, and with far more evidence of brutal force.

Other than the obvious tissue damage, did you look to see what type of tracks were present around the crime scene? Bears and yotes will both leave a good deal of prints from digging into the ground to rip flesh off, and bloody prints on the ground and the animal too. My Son had a deer get entirely consumed by yotes in just a few hours, they left lots of sign on the ground, and on the remains of the deer.

GS
Old December 10, 2014, 12:24 AM   #15
alko

Bear usually start with intestines, I saw it couple times and they usually cover their prey between meals.

Does anybody know if bear would eat another bear carcass? I saw eaten bear, I thought that was another bear but we got one bear this year, gutted him, I checked the area couple days later, another bear just burried the guts, didn't eat them, not sure if that was for later time or they just don't eat bear meat.

Last edited by alko; December 11, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old December 12, 2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Bizcuits

Coyote, bears only eat porridge bro, haven't you heard the story of the 3 bears? Not to hot, not to cold, just right.
Old December 12, 2014, 08:29 PM   #17
jrdolall
Contributing Member

I have been involved with several deer that were found the next morning. In every case where the animal was feasted upon there was much more meat missing than in your photo. we don't have a bear population but we do have a decent, sometimes excessive, coyote population. Maybe this was just one or two coyotes or maybe they found the animal late and didn't get to feast for long before you showed up.