Quantcast
Performance of .357 Mag 158 gr factory lead SWC on big game? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #1
.455_Hunter

Performance of .357 Mag 158 gr factory lead SWC on big game?

We all know about Doug Wesson's exploits with a first production Registered Magnum and early hot Winchester ammo.

Does anybody have more recent experience hunting deer or elk with a revolver using 70's/80's/90's swagged lead SWC from the big three (Win/Rem/Fed)?

How does the terminal performance of such a bullet compare to a cup & core or bonded JSP?
"Every day for the last ten years, Loretta there has been giving me a large black coffee. Today she gives me a large black coffee only it's got sugar in it- a lot of sugar. I just came back to complain..."
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #2
jcord

I use 158 grain cast swc in my carbine for deer. Works well for me. I carry the same load in
My service six. Technically can't hunt with it, because of the 4 inch barrel. But who knows what happens in the woods when I'm carrying both. I've had end to end exits with the carbine. This was not on large deer but anchored them just the same.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #3
Barry the Bear

Here in TX we can hunt with any centerfire round for deer regardless of barrel length, I have hunted with a 686 and a model 28 smith for small southern whitetail and feral pigs. I have used the federal 158 gr soft point load and it hasn't failed me yet, but of course as always shot placement is key.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #4
CoRoMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
Performance of .357 Mag 158 gr factory lead SWC on big game?

...hunting deer or elk with a revolver using 70's/80's/90's swagged lead SWC from the big three (Win/Rem/Fed)?

How does the terminal performance of such a bullet compare to a cup & core or bonded JSP?
Can you specify some particular factory loads?

Because, I'm not finding anything in (at least) Federal's line of .357 ammo that would be legal to hunt big game with in our state.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:

Does anybody have more recent experience hunting deer or elk with a revolver using 70's/80's/90's swagged lead SWC from the big three (Win/Rem/Fed)?
Because of what it is, for a .357 mag to be a effective deer/elk gun, you need enough velocity to get good penetration. Problem with swagged lead bullets is, because of their softness, they are generally thought of as low velocity projectiles. At hunting velocities in .357 most folks use hard cast or a jacketed bullet. My advice would be to leave the swagged bullets for plinking and if you are determined to stick with lead, go hardcast.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #6
.455_Hunter

Sorry- My question is more of a historical one and not reflective on what I would use now or in the future here in Colorado.

Let's say its 1970, and you want to use your 6" or 8 3/8" 27-2 to take a big game animal (large mule deer or elk). You go to the LGS and pick-up a box of Winchester Super-X 158 gr Lead SWC Lubaloy and head for the hills. What sort of terminal performance would you expect?

Barrel leading aside, does the relatively soft, homogeneous lead SWC really perform worse than a modern JSP designed to provide some expansion? The only current production similar loading I can find is from Magtech: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...semi-wadcutter

I know its a simpleton test, but when fired a Winchester Lubaloy load out of my 6" Highway Patrolman into a water trap, I was surprised to see a very controlled level of expansion, not unlike a "premium" bonded core bullet.

No doubt a hard cast bullet would offer more penetration.
"Every day for the last ten years, Loretta there has been giving me a large black coffee. Today she gives me a large black coffee only it's got sugar in it- a lot of sugar. I just came back to complain..."

Last edited by .455_Hunter; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #7
buck460XVR

Quote:
You go to the LGS and pick-up a box of Winchester Super-X 158 gr Lead SWC Lubaloy and head for the hills

I know its a simpleton test, but when fired a Winchester Lubaloy load out of my 6" Highway Patrolman into a water trap, I was surprised to see a very controlled level of expansion, not unlike a "premium" bonded core bullet.
Was that @ .38 special or .357 mag velocities? I was under the impression they were only made in .38.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #8
.455_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Was that @ .38 special or .357 mag velocities? I was under the impression they were only made in .38.
This was a full-up .357 mag round. I think Winchester stopped this loading before 2000.

Here is a small pic from the net showing some 60's/70's vintage examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 357 Lubaloy.jpg (12.6 KB, 18 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #9
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Buffalo Bore is "modern ammo", ya know.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100