Quantcast
Not again.......! Feral Hog Control in East Texas - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 6, 2009, 08:36 PM   #51
Flintknapper

Works for me!

I'd be happy to have them come pick these up and take them away.

New "Bachelor Group" of five boars about a year old. Sheeesh, theres just no end to them.

Last edited by Flintknapper; June 7, 2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: add pic
Old June 6, 2009, 08:50 PM   #52
psyopspec

Very informative thread, thanks Flintknapper!
Old June 7, 2009, 07:11 AM   #53
Readyrod

This is a great thread. Really interesting. Please keep us posted flintknapper. BTW have you thought of turning this into a commercial venture? Sell the meat to a butcher or restaurant? I don't know, just an idea.
Old June 7, 2009, 07:58 AM   #54
crebralfix

I like the snare trap you used. Simple and efficient.

But using Catahoulas is more exciting (and dangerous).

What did you do with all the other hogs?
Old June 8, 2009, 03:50 PM   #55
Flintknapper

Give me a break.....

I haven't even got the trap set up for the boars yet...and THIS group shows up!

One sow already has a couple of piglets following her (the others are no doubt nesting nearby).

Two of the sows in this group are about to have their litter’s any day now.

Why can’t they just go somewhere else? We’ve been “whacking them” pretty good the last 6 months, but it’s useless….they're getting ahead of me.
Old June 8, 2009, 05:21 PM   #56
~z

Looks like you use a gague stick by your bait hole, am I correct? No fair, I thought that was MY idea!
~z
Old June 8, 2009, 05:33 PM   #57
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
I'm going to get me one of them cameras so I can post stuff like this.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:31 PM   #58
Tim the student

Really great pics!

I would never want them in Iowa (but the DNR says they are taking hold) but it sure would make for more fun outside of regular hunting season. I wish I could afford to go thin some out for some people.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:11 PM   #59
Flintknapper

~z wrote:

Quote:
Looks like you use a gague stick by your bait hole, am I correct?
Yup.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:22 PM   #60
crebralfix

Looks like Flintknapper should do some guide some hog hunts.
Old June 9, 2009, 11:58 PM   #61
paintballdude902

i was talking to a guy i do some electrical work for part time today, he went boar hunting last week in SC and got a small boar. now he wants to try and get a population set up here fo he can hunt them. i told him the first time i find a bait station torn up my dog get shreded im talking it out on his back side.

this is a life long bear hunter and he still doesnt get the fact that it will screw up our ecosystem, heck i jsut want the quail back

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 10, 2009, 12:21 AM   #62
ccsniper

don't know if this works for killin hogs but a friend of mine had a problem with wild dogs chasing his horses near death so he set up a bucket full of anti freeze and left it outa reach for the horses. dog problem went down a little. (I don't think thats legal, but it really did work)
Old June 10, 2009, 12:43 AM   #63
schlockinz

I like your trap, the one that my friends always used was to make a large area with a one way door to it. This works fine until you get a 300+ lb boar, seeing as he might tear it up. They sometimes let em starve, other times its .22LR and a 50 round clip to do the dispatching.

Lastly, I dunno if this is true or not, but I've heard that they'll go crazy for diesel mixed with corn, never have tried it, but I might have to if they won't leave my hunting lease (they did for a while after I killed a boar and a group of sows and piglets, they started showing back up this year)
Old June 10, 2009, 01:31 AM   #64
LWYM425

Wow, this is the reason I love THR! Always something new to learn. Never been hog hunting, but I can't get excited about anything else. Great pics- and tips from you (Flintknapper) and the rest that left experience on the page

Quality stuff.
Old June 10, 2009, 01:37 AM   #65
wankerjake

This has got to be the sweetest thread I have seen. Now I REALLY want to hunt hogs!

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow."
Old June 10, 2009, 01:38 AM   #66
Dr.Who

Thanks for the educational post!

Keep in mind that if the world did not Suck.... We'd all fall off!
Old June 10, 2009, 03:42 PM   #67
Flintknapper

O.K. the trap is set up in new location.

This is what it looks like from a tree stand I put up nearby. Looks like I will have to manually trip it (like last time) because of circumstance.

This set up is going to be kind of tricky. The main object…as always…is to catch as many hogs as possible….BUT I have two groups competing for this bait site.

There is a bachelor group of (5) boars… plus a group of nine assorted hogs (not including piglets) as well as a mature boar that is skirting the sounder.

My problems are several:

1.Mature boar will not join the group, he is hanging out on the periphery. I have some very poor pics of him standing in the brush, walking back and forth, etc… but never clearly showing himself. A mature boar would be target #1 since they are so reclusive and difficult to get a shot at. If I shoot the boar…I will lose the sounder for a couple of weeks (maybe forever). If I don’t shoot the boar... I’ll probably not get another chance at him.

2. The “Bachelor group” and the “Assorted group” do not mix….so I will have to trap them on separate occasions.

3. Among the “Assorted group” is a gilt leftover from another sounder we shot out last winter. The hog was purposely left alone because of it’s unique markings.

4. Rather than being “splotched”…the hog is kind of leopard spotted. Well wouldn’t you know….my daughter took a “liking” to it, named it “spot” and it is now “off limits”. Spot is also VERY pregnant and about to have a litter anytime now.

So, I’ve got two different groups to catch without running either group off, a mature boar to try to outwit…and a “special” hog that somehow has to survive all this.

Yee-Haw……..

Continued next post:
Old June 10, 2009, 03:45 PM   #68
Flintknapper

Spot now:

Oh well….at least some of my deer have come back:

Last edited by Flintknapper; June 11, 2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add pic
Old June 10, 2009, 03:56 PM   #69
~z

Looks like you have your hands full. As for your boar, have you tried keeping a sow in the trap (with food and water) and using her for bait when she comes into season? I have used this with success for solo old boars in the past. Looks like you know what you are doing, just thought I'd pitch you that idea.
~z
Old June 10, 2009, 06:33 PM   #70
Flintknapper

The "Judas Sow" technique is proven...and if I had a big trophy boar that I really, really....hated, I would then go to the trouble.

This time of year (very hot and humid) I would have a hard time keeping a sow alive if penned up. In the fall the technique would be more tenable.

Personally, I have never used that method...but it does work. I'm usually too busy trying to thin out as many as I can.

The older "crafty" boars can be quite a challege....I agree.
Old June 10, 2009, 07:24 PM   #71
Readyrod

Do you need to change the location of the trap every time that you use it? Can you rotate spots? I saw that you were using snares also, are there other techniques/tricks you can use in an integrated approach? I imagine that you will never be able to completely solve the problem as they keep on coming back so I guess it's a pest control rather than eradication thing.
Great thread. Keep it going. It's interesting and useful.
Old June 10, 2009, 09:49 PM   #72
Nathanael_Greene

I'd just like to say that in all my years on the internet, I think this is the best thread I've come across in any forum, on any topic, anywhere.

Informative, well-written, even-tempered, incredibly interesting, and dramatic.

Thanks, Flintknapper.
Old June 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #73
gunsandreligion

There's probably no way you could catch spot and sterilize (which would probably be expensive considering shes a female) her is there?
Old June 11, 2009, 04:39 PM   #74
Uncle Mike

Quote:
Everyone always says that. NO, I do. I wouldn't tire of having year round hunting of large ungulates which are tasty to eat
That's like askin' for the clap Doc!

Those unmerciful beasts, (they stink) will till up your land, destroy your fences, barns, sheds and anything else they can root under... eat everything(they stink) that can't outrun them... then move on to torque off your neighbors!

They don't taste good(they stink).... unless you cure it. Although we used to dine on backstrap and eggs while hunting and it was darn good!(they stink)

...and, did I mention they stink!

They are however fun to shoot! or as we did it down south... stick em' with an old bayonet.

Well if you do get a case of the hogs.... have fun!

-
Old June 11, 2009, 08:25 PM   #75
Flintknapper

Here we go......

Trap is baited out, hogs have moved down the trail from the “bait site” almost up to the trap.

I stopped feeding at the regular bait site today and only put corn in and around the trap.

Moved the game-cam over to the trap….so we’ll see what happens tonight. Hopefully, they will start going into the trap.

After a few days….when they are comfortable going into it….I will set the trip wire or sit on stand and trip it manually.

Keep your fingers crossed guys!

Flint.