Quantcast
Not again.......! Feral Hog Control in East Texas - Page 8 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 26, 2009, 10:51 PM   #176
Dr.Who

Wasn't that mud trick done in a movie.... One with Arnold and an Alien Hunter.... The Alien used inferred vision and the mud blocked Arnold's heat signal....

Was the movie called "Predator"?

Keep in mind that if the world did not Suck.... We'd all fall off!
Old June 26, 2009, 11:39 PM   #177
SciFiJim

Actually, I was remembering when my kids were little and played in the mud after a rainstorm. Had to hose them off in the back yard. We had adobe soil and it took some doing to get it all off.
Old June 27, 2009, 01:20 AM   #178
Flintknapper

Done deal!

Story tomorrow…..too tired tonight.

How it happened:

I planned to be on stand by 8:15 p.m. (gets dark about 9:00 p.m.) and was resolved to stay until midnight if necessary.

It was terribly hot here yesterday and I was expecting the boar to go to water about dark….then begin to work his way toward the bait site.

I knew he was bedding not far from the pond….so I needed to be as quiet as possible going in. To that end…I decided to leave my truck about ˝ mile from the stand and have my Father in Law drive me up close to the stand in his “mule”.

The idea was that the boar would hear the “mule” leaving and not be alarmed…as he might be if he heard a truck stop a distance away but not leave. Sure enough…..it worked, but it worked a little too well.

I walked slowly and quietly to my stand. I had already placed my rifle and binoculars in the stand earlier in the day so I would be able to climb into it making the least amount of noise. I looked at my watch when I got there, 8:07 p.m., perfect, (or so I thought).

I carefully climbed into the ladder stand….pleased that I had made no noise. I sat down and repositioned the rifle. But, as I did so….I barely “ticked” the end of the barrel against the rail on the stand. Immediately I heard a “sniffing” sound come from the bait site about 60 yds. away! OMG, the boar was already there.

Two more “sniffs” and then I heard a crashing sound (sticks breaking) as the boar ran into woods just out of sight. He stayed there less than 50 yds. away pacing back and forth “growling”. This is typical behavior for a boar when they are agitated about something, but don’t want to leave.

I strained my eyes looking into the woods…hoping to get a glimpse of him, looking for any shot opportunity. I knew he wouldn’t stay long and I was concerned he would circle behind me and get my scent. So far…he had only heard something “unnatural” and was simply being cautious.

I a minute all was quiet, he had slipped away. Somewhat dejected… I decided to wait it out….but knew that if the boar was really “spooked” he would NOT come back …or would do so in “stealth mode” most likely circling the area first.

As luck would have it…almost an hour later (very dark now), I heard the unmistakable sound of corn crunching. With spirits renewed….I got my flashlight out, positioned the rifle to shoot and waited. It was agonizing…but after 10 minutes I could just barely make out a head coming into view through the scope.

As soon as the boar gave me enough head and neck to see….I turned on my flashlight (red lens) to get a better sight picture, I quickly found his neck in the scope and tapped the trigger.

“Luck” was with me last night, I didn’t expect this particular to come back, but he did.

Flint.

Last edited by Flintknapper; June 27, 2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add story
Old June 27, 2009, 02:41 AM   #179
DAVIDSDIVAD

That is one serious hog, man!
Old June 27, 2009, 02:52 AM   #180
jlg

very nice...you're one persistant hog exterminator
Old June 27, 2009, 06:45 AM   #181
Readyrod

Yee haw, you got him, good one!!!
Old June 27, 2009, 09:05 AM   #182
Jmurman

WooHoo!

Excellent hunt!

When is the BBQ?

For Do It Yourself Gun Customizing, on M1 Garand, Rem 700 and Ruger 10/22 visit Guncrafter,
Old June 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #183
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Wonderful thread, Flintknapper!

You've given a lot of members a realy good insight concerning East Texas hog hunting. Clearly, you are a dedicated hunter and steward of the land. Your faithful reporting of your activities over the last seven weeks speaks well for your writing ability AND your tenacity.

I hope you'll find time to continue updating us on your efforts, even if not so frequently as you've been doing. This is one of the more interesting, ongoing Hunting Forum threads. To make it easier for members to locate this work, I'll "float" it at the top of the forum, at least temporarily, and add a sub-title to hint at the subject matter. There's nothing wrong with the way you've handled it so far - - this is just an effort to share your work a bit more widely.

Good work!

Johnny Guest
THR Staff

Blog: Expert Witness

Last edited by Johnny Guest; June 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Explanatrion of "Sticky" and supplementary title
Old June 27, 2009, 01:07 PM   #184
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

About your tools - -

Flintknapper, back around post 43, you wrote,
"I parked my truck away from the bait site, got my camera and my .45 and slowly walked up to the set."

Clearly, whatever you used was "sufficient unto the day." Share some additional details, please? What kind of .45 - - revolver or auto pistol? What kind of load did you use? How many shots were needed? Any idea of the weight of that boar?

Thanks again
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old June 27, 2009, 01:11 PM   #185
SciFiJim

Also about tools...

I've been wondering about the game cam that you have been using. What brand and model are you using? It shows the time and the temp. Is there an external connection for a thermometer or is it an internal thing ?
Old June 27, 2009, 01:34 PM   #186
Flintknapper

Jmurman wrote:

Quote:
Excellent hunt!

When is the BBQ?
Unfortunately, no BBQ with this one.

He’s being “recycled”.

Kind of hard to find someone on a Friday night…. who wants to come pick up a Boar, field dress it, skin it, bone out the meat…. and get it on ice (before it spoils in this heat).

But, we do try to utilize the meat resource whenever possible.
Old June 27, 2009, 01:36 PM   #187
Derek Zeanah
System Administrator

You know, it just didn't look that big without a point of reference.

Wow. Just, wow.
... the Constitutional text forthrightly promises that 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' No amount of artful linguistic acrobatics or fanciful historical tales can rub those plain words out of the text. -- ACLU, in their amicus brief in DC vs Heller
Old June 27, 2009, 01:38 PM   #188
Flintknapper

SciFiJim wrote:

Quote:
I've been wondering about the game cam that you have been using. What brand and model are you using? It shows the time and the temp. Is there an external connection for a thermometer or is it an internal thing ?
Hi Jim,

My game-cam is a "Moultrie I-40" infrared, still picture and video capability.

The thermometer is internal and fairly accurate. Battery life is incredible.
Old June 27, 2009, 01:52 PM   #189
Flintknapper

Johnny Guest wrote:

Quote:
Flintknapper, back around post 43, you wrote,
"I parked my truck away from the bait site, got my camera and my .45 and slowly walked up to the set."

Clearly, whatever you used was "sufficient unto the day." Share some additional details, please? What kind of .45 - - revolver or auto pistol?
Para-Ordnance P-13

Quote:
What kind of load did you use?
CorBon 230gr. HP

Quote:
How many shots were needed?
A single shot to the "brain pan".

Caveat: The .45acp is NOT a cartridge I recommend for hog hunting. It is however... a sufficient round to "dispatch" hogs under controlled conditions where Central Nervous System hits are obtainable.

Quote:
Any idea of the weight of that boar?
I didn't weigh that one.

Quote:
Thanks again
Johnny
Thank you, for the indulgence of the "sticky". I will try not to use up quite so much bandwidth.

Flint.
Old June 27, 2009, 01:57 PM   #190
Derek Zeanah
System Administrator

Heh - it's photobucket's bandwidth, so no worries.
... the Constitutional text forthrightly promises that 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' No amount of artful linguistic acrobatics or fanciful historical tales can rub those plain words out of the text. -- ACLU, in their amicus brief in DC vs Heller
Old June 27, 2009, 02:00 PM   #191
sneedb82

Flint does a fairly good job journaling the hog trapping. In west texas, there is some trapping, but most of us use dogs, cause there's very few trees (mesquites and joshua). However, I told Flint on one occasion that when the wife and I move to Houston, we're going to come help him as much as possible to dispatch these thieves because they are such a nuiscance, but in addition.... we love the meat! I've got another freezer on order to accomodate the future endeavors (an upright this time). My eventual goal when we get moved is to have a 20 x 15 walkin freezer (commercial) to hang up to make them wait until I can cut them up myself. Flint... hopefully this sounder is done, and the "Spot" will keep you and the daughter busy for a while ahaha.. j/k
Old June 27, 2009, 02:01 PM   #192
Lightninstrike

Lookit the size of that mother! Er, father I guess.

If I missed it I apologize, but do you mind sharing what rifle and cartridge you used? I have a Savage (Weather Warrior) chambered in .308 which I was thinking of trying on hogs. Any insight is appreciated.

Again, outstanding posts.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old June 27, 2009, 04:18 PM   #193
Flintknapper

.308 would be plenty for a hog.

I used a 7mm-08 on this one (.308 necked down).

Shot placement....is the secret on hogs.

If circumstance permits, I always "neck shoot".

Basically, anywhere from just in front of the shoulder to just behind the jaw (mid way up) will result in a hog that is "DRT".

A “High Shoulder” shot would be my next pick. Ideally, you are looking for a shot that will break the spine at (or forward of) the shoulder.

Last edited by Flintknapper; June 27, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old June 27, 2009, 08:27 PM   #194
DammitBoy

I've used plenty of different guns and ammo on hogs. You can't beat good shot placement but most anything will work.

I prefer slugs or single aught buck in a 12ga. but I have used .45 long colt in pistols and lever actions plenty.

Killed a 350 lbs sow with a .22 one night

I have killed several with .223 using a 75 grain bullet - it stopped them in their tracks.
Old June 27, 2009, 08:39 PM   #195
AKElroy

Quote:
Caveat: The .45acp is NOT a cartridge I recommend for hog hunting. It is however... a sufficient round to "dispatch" hogs under controlled conditions where Central Nervous System hits are obtainable.
Very nicely done. I have executed hogs in a trap with 230 gr .45 ball, and quickly discovered that a center-forehead hit only makes a shiny white spot and an angry pig. The sweet-spot behind the ear finally did the trick, but with much squeeling and slamming about inside the trap. +1 for no meat from that mature bore--Even cleanly taken & quickly iced they don't make eats nearly as nicely as the younger ones. You should get a job doing this--Great Thread!
Old June 28, 2009, 12:33 AM   #196
paintballdude902

very good job!!

thanks alot fo the info on hog hunting

ill hopefully get some boar hunting done this coming season, im moving to the western part of the state for college and they have boar in a few of the neighboring counties so ill try and get what i cant hunt at home done while at school.

here ive got deer, birds, and bear not much in the way of yotes or pigs so im gonna try and get them done in the western part of the state

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 29, 2009, 08:39 AM   #197
Flintknapper

Looks like someone else wants to “play”.

Sometimes I feel like Jeremiah Johnson, I just get rid of one of the enemy….and they send ANOTHER!
Old June 29, 2009, 08:57 AM   #198
Lightninstrike

Its a never ending flood !! I'm not a biologist but am guessing that population pressure keeps them moving around in search of food. Wonder if your neighbors are as diligent as you in keeping their areas hog-free?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old June 29, 2009, 01:53 PM   #199
paintballdude902

whos ready for a few more pages?

whats are the tactics for this one? bait and live trap?

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #200
LWYM425

how come the red light didn't startle him?

how many hours a week do you spend attempting to preserve this land? (just wondering; seems very time consuming)