Quantcast
POWDER RECALLS - - Compiled information - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 27, 2009, 01:18 AM   #26
orrwdd

I recently read elsewhere that some of the new production powders require slightly reduced loads in the manuals due to new formulas etc.

I recently returned to the shooting sports after a 5+ year hiatus due to medical problems and have several pounds of Alliant and Accurate powders on hand.

If there is anyone else out there that have old powders on hand, I plan to use the old manuals to determine loads when reloading with my existing powders.

Bill
Old November 27, 2009, 10:43 AM   #27
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Two comments - Marlin 45 - not sure of meaning of ''caveat" - maybe I didn't read back far enough. Anyways, JMO but Blue Dot is somewhat on the edge for .357 if loads get heavy - bit fast perhaps. I would not think mag primers necessary. I f a wish to push top loads and add mag primers then slower powders like 2400, N110, H-110 etc would be keeping pressures more within limits.

orrwdd ....... re your question. - I have been reloading near 30 years and have always had some old stock powders in use but reached the stage periodically where I have replaced stock with newer production of same designation. Indeed everything suggests there can be a difference between latest version and the old.

IMO tho I reckon that if you do not load to max previously then probably you can continue to use your old loads. That said if a load is ''up there'' already then I reckon it'd be wise to back off - say - 5% and re assess with tests.

One example of major change in physical appearance was 2400 - my old stock was almost a flake powder which in .44 mag always left unburned flakes (good at getting under revo star!) ........ whereas new stuff is a fine almost micro tubular/rod shape. I used that for some .44 mag loads (forget charge right now) and because original load was a good bit below max just carried on using new stuff with same charge - did not notice any significant differences tho it burns much cleaner.

Re manuals ...... I still use Lyman 47 and Speer 13 a lot and these are not that old but also I have load data going back 2 or more decades for Hercules, Vitavhuori etc. There is little doubt that comparing old loads with new, manufacturers have backed off - maybe for legal reasons - such that most recent loads are probably ''safer''. So new powders with new load data probably stay well safe but - old load data could be much nearer limits and so care advisable with using those with new powder production.

If in doubt - play it safe and if using old data then I think the 5% reduction approach could be worthwhile just so as to establish safe limits. This maybe is most important with the fast "Bullseye" type powders.

Old February 20, 2010, 01:47 AM   #28
birdshot8's

after reading this sticky, i checked a container of h4227 i bought a while back. the container was not stamped with a lot number but had an orange adhesive sticker on the bottom of the can with a 11 digit number. would this be the lot number?
Old June 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #29
mmorris

Yes, I called about the orange sticker on a can of Win 231 and it breaks down like this:

8=container size in pounds
032310=date (Mar 23, 2010)
2390=Lot#
Old June 5, 2010, 11:16 AM   #30
alan

another aspect of this gun powder (propellant) business, older versions v. new versions with altered formulations and differing burn rates is lot to lot variation in current production runs.

An example of this is the following, personal experience loading 30-06 ammunition, using the then available DuPont IMR 4895, which I used to buy in "bulk", 20# drums when such were available.

Going from one container/lot number to another, different production lot, I noticed "sticky bolt lift" in some loads, and what appeared to be slight primer cratering, nothing "serious" but curious. Brass, primers and bullets were a constant. I reworked the load, ending up with a charge REDUCED by about 1.5grains. Lot to lot variations are something to consider.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:27 AM   #31
Jim F. Barham

Jim, member. I need a little help on reloading for 9mm. 8th ed. Hornady handbook shows 124gr. fmj-rn, using Unique, 4.0 - 5.0 gr., while Speer handbook shows 5.2 - 5.8 gr. This variation perplexes me. I have been reloading for over 40 years, and recently got a Dillon 550B. I reload for 7 calibers, but using the Hornady figures, i have had several failure to eject because of insufficient power. Anyone out there willing to help? Thanks, guys.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:06 PM   #32
NCsmitty

Welcome to THR, Jim F. Barham.

You'll likely have a better response if you post your questions in the reloading section.

I recommend using the data of the people who make the powder. They seem to correlate with the Speer data.

www.alliantpowder.com

NCsmitty

"thus always to tyrants"
Old December 17, 2011, 09:15 AM   #33
P-32

Quote:
can anyone expound on the Blue Dot caveat for the .357? and are magnum primers called for with this powder?
Speer and Blue Dot have been having problems for years. A little back ground....Speer 9 had 357 Blue Data, Speer 10 did not. It seems they got too light on a couple of bullet weights and damaged some guns.

Speer 11 came out with new 357 Blue Dot data and holy batman, it was HOT! Way over hot. I had a buddy who had a barrel seperate from his frame. I use Blue Dot for my favorite 357 load and it works well. Middle of the road in a Speer 9, below starting loads in a Speer 11. It seems there was a problem with the load with 125 gr. bullets. I'm not sure what happened, but I think they damaged a pistol with their super duper #11 Blue Dot data.

Looking at a Speer 13, there is Blue Dot data for the 357 Mag. The data is much more sane it seems.

For example, Speer 9 had starting load of 13.5 grs and a max load of 14.5 grs of Blue Dot for a 125 gr. HP bullet using a CCI 500 primer.

Like I said Speer 10 had no 357 Blue Dot data in any bullet weight.

Speer 11 had 14.3 starting with a max of 16.3 grains of Blue Dot with the same 125 gr HP using a CCI 500 primer.

I don't have a Speer 12, but the Speer 13 listed 11.5 grs starting with a max of 13.0 grs. of Blue Dot for the same 125 gr. HP bullet using a CCI 500 primer.

Just for grins, a Nosler #4 listed a starting load of 11.8 grs and a max of 12.8 grs of Blue Dot with a 125 gr bullet and CCI 500 primer.

An old Sierra manuel showed for the 125 gr. bullet a starting load of 13.2 with a max of 14.9 using a CCI 500 primer.

An old Hornaday reloading manuel shows a starting load of 10.4 grs with a max of 13.7 grs of Blue Dot with a 125 gr. HP and using a Federal 200 primer.

If I remember right, ,Blue Dot would get almost explosive or detonate if too light of load. I do know using Speer 9 data for a 125 gr. bullet would make the sun light seem dim compaired to the flash of the Blue Dot.

I also think I remember a warning in the Speer 9 about reducing the recommeded load for the 146 gr. half jacket as the jacket could come loose in the bore.

I find it interesting there have been no complaints from Hornaday or Serria about Blue Dot but still extreme from one end to the other with one max at the others starting.

Blue Dot uses standard primers, as it is easy to light. I use mostly Federal pistol primers as there has been a little spring work done. Blue Dot does not need a heavy crimp, only a light one if any.

Last edited by P-32; December 17, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: to add crimp and primer info
Old February 22, 2012, 04:52 PM   #34
blarby
Contributing Member

Hornady® Recalls 7 Lots of 500 S&W 300 grain FTX®
Custom™ Pistol Ammo

Grand Island, NE – Hornady® Manufacturing announced the recall of seven lots of 500 S&W 300 gr. FTX® Custom™ pistol ammunition. Hornady ballisticians have determined that some cartridges from Lot numbers 3101327, 3110256, 3110683, 3110695, 3110945, 3111388, 3111885, may exhibit excessive chamber pressures. Use of this product may result in firearm damage and/or personal injury.

Product Recall Details:
Item number 9249
500 S&W 300 grain FTX® Custom™ Pistol Ammunition. These lots were shipped between September 9, 2010, and October 17, 2011.

Included Lot Numbers:

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old May 16, 2012, 07:37 AM   #35
Samari Jack

Opps, posted on wrong thread.

Last edited by Samari Jack; May 16, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:48 AM   #36
Doc Loch

Regarding Blue Dot and the .357, I have had exactly the same problem with the 125 gr jsp! Now I know why! Backed out primers and sticking cases in the cylinder! YIKES. Time to dismantle. I thought that I had made some error somewhere! I've been using online manuals since!

Last edited by Doc Loch; October 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Didn't mention which post this was related to.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:49 AM   #37
blarby
Contributing Member

SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE
Product Safety Recall Notice

Warning - Do Not Use

Remington 338 Lapua Magnum

250 Grain Scenar Match Ammunition Lot Nos. L13SA29L, L13SA29R, L13SB29L, or L13SB29R

Remington has determined the above lots may have been improperly loaded. Improper loading may cause malfunctions which may result in damage to the firearm, serious personal injury or death.

DO NOT USE

Remington 338 Lapua Magnum 250 Grain Scenar Match Ammunition Lot Nos. L13SA29L, L13SA29R, L13SB29L, or L13SB29R

To identify Lot numbers:

For CASES, the Lot Number is stenciled on the outside of the case; and,
For BOXES, the Lot Number is stamped on the inside flap of the box.
If you have any of the ammunition identified above, immediately discontinue use and contact Remington at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3. We will arrange for return shipment and, upon receipt, will send replacement ammunition at no cost.

If you are unsure if you have one of these Lots or if you have mixed boxes of ammunition, please immediately discontinue use and contact Remington.

For any consumer questions or instructions on how to return product, contact the Consumer Service Department at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Safety First

Always observe the Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety and wear approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting.

September 19, 2012.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...0Gr-Match.aspx

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old April 30, 2013, 10:19 PM   #38
blarby
Contributing Member

AMMO RECALL

5.56 Winchester recall.

symbol zgq3308
Lot wcc10m106-004

Propellent/wrong

M855 pene's / m855 ball 62 gr