Quantcast
old froglube white residue and odd smell? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 19, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
chevyforlife21

old froglube white residue and odd smell?

I've noticed all my knives I've oiled the pivots on mostly spydercos ( Also on a few rifles) that the old froglube gets a strange smell after a while kinda like fast food burger grease and gets the same kind of white or cloudy colored build up color. It seems to smell great for a few weeks or so. I've heard the old froglube liquid didn't have preservative in it. But I belive I have the newer liquid that was supposed to adress this. Some of these knife were lubed with froglube 6 months ago and maybe carried once or twice in that time. Anybody else have this problem? It bothers me as its supposed to be food safe if it really was shouldn't it have a expiration date theoretically?
Old March 19, 2014, 10:34 PM   #2
texasgun

no problems here. but I use RemOil and CLP from Walmart.... $3 go for a long time...
Old March 20, 2014, 09:11 AM   #3
340PD

That probably is mold.
I believe there was a change to that product formulation that eliminated the possibility of mold forming on your Frog Lubed products.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:22 AM   #4
chevyforlife21

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgun View Post
no problems here. but I use RemOil and CLP from Walmart.... $3 go for a long time...
Me too. But knives I like to keep food safe
Old March 20, 2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Fremmer

Somehow the rem oil sounds safer than mold, but YRMV!
Old March 20, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
gym
Contributing Member

I wish I knew that before I ordered it two days ago
Old March 20, 2014, 03:53 PM   #7
texasgun

no kidding... I'd rather risk digesting a TINY amount of RemOil residue on food versus a molded knife for food handling

you can always wipe down the knife with a clean cotton cloth before using it on food. any oil residue then is beyond negligible. mold - not so much.

IMHO - frog lube is an answer to a question nobody asked. Clean/lube regularly and any oil will do. I guess there's a reason why the USMC is not sitting with blow-dryers and frog-lube paste bended over their M4s....
Old March 20, 2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Hurryin' Hoosier

Old frogs tend to get skanky.
Old March 20, 2014, 05:36 PM   #9
downunderhunter

I have about 25 froglubed knives sitting in a display cabinet that I carry once in a while, have never seen them go white. I use the paste like you as the pivot grease on folders (ikbs and more generic pivots). The only time I got weird discolouration problems was on a shotgun that I didn't clean all of the old grease out of the pivot block and extractor, but that went a nasty brown and got very tacky like glue. Maybe contact the froglube people, mold isn't fun
Old March 20, 2014, 06:51 PM   #10
AK103K

Quote:
I guess there's a reason why the USMC is not sitting with blow-dryers and frog-lube paste bended over their M4s....
They've probably been ordered not to use it just for spite.

You also dont have to use a hair dryer, or any heat for that matter, and they also have a "CLP" too, not just the paste.

They also have a "solvent", but Im not sure what its supposed to clean. I didnt find it to work well at all.

Ive been using the CLP and paste for quite awhile now, and for the most part, with good results. If you applly it properly, like anything else, it shouldnt be any trouble.

While I have been using it on all my guns, Im starting to go back to other products for certain guns, mainly because its not a copper solvent, and with my revolvers, Ive been noticing the cylinders are noticeably sluggish when I next take them out of the safe over the period of the next month as I shoot them. I think what happening is, as the gun is being cleaned, excess FL is getting into the yoke and starting to gum up because of it not draining out. On my guns where its applied as its supposed to be, and like everything else should be, IE. very lightly and sparingly, its not been a problem.

Ive never had the mold issue, and Ive been using it since they first came out with it.

As far as the heating thing, they did at first have that in the instructions, but that was only on the first couple of bottles I got. Its no longer in the new instructions Ive seen for normal cleaning.

Zeitgeist -- The Movie.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11
chevyforlife21

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderhunter View Post
I have about 25 froglubed knives sitting in a display cabinet that I carry once in a while, have never seen them go white. I use the paste like you as the pivot grease on folders (ikbs and more generic pivots). The only time I got weird discolouration problems was on a shotgun that I didn't clean all of the old grease out of the pivot block and extractor, but that went a nasty brown and got very tacky like glue. Maybe contact the froglube people, mold isn't fun
I don't use paste this happened with the liquid cup froglube
Old March 21, 2014, 03:14 AM   #12
Dr.Zubrato

imo, froglube isnt bad. it definitely has its uses, and I also use mine on knives to keep them food safe. remember not to use too much, if you can see it its too much (collects lint) so wipe it down. i have also noticed it gets a little tacky, but with heat it redissolves and becomes slick on my guns.

i dont think its the solution to everything, but it sure takes carbon off an AR with a simple wipedown. i just wish theyd publish some real data about their lubricant properties, instead of touting anecdotes as testimonials..

I did the blowdrier thing, but only in situations where I cant get it in all the nooks and crannies that need lube.

shoot the folks at froglube a message, see if they can sort it out.
Old March 21, 2014, 08:20 AM   #13
hardluk1

I find lubing a pocket knife as new to me. I have 1- 35 year old SS puma agame warden nd a 45 year old carbon steel 2 blade case 4" that are my old meat knifes that are still in good functional shape today just shorter. The puma is to short to pocket carry anymore. No plating on the case , just plane ole steel and still smooth operating. The sog I carry is maybe 6 years old and still look great. Only meat it see's is a steak when we dine out though. No lube on any of them. Just a wash and dry once in a while.
Old March 21, 2014, 09:13 AM   #14
whughett

Well I for one never knew frogs needed lubing. The ones around here seem to get along fine.:

I must be old fashion, the "3in1" has been my mainstay for half a century. there is a can in every tool box,the kitchen cabinet, the garage and the shed and on my loading bench. WD40 runs a close second.
Rambo III
Old March 21, 2014, 10:58 AM   #15
gym
Contributing Member

Bring your frogs up to Vero and we will run them, I'll use the frog lube, this way the test will be scientific.
Old March 21, 2014, 06:35 PM   #16
hardluk1

Only dang fog anything I wants is the back half and sucked and fried
Old March 21, 2014, 09:16 PM   #17
chevyforlife21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I find lubing a pocket knife as new to me. I have 1- 35 year old SS puma agame warden nd a 45 year old carbon steel 2 blade case 4" that are my old meat knifes that are still in good functional shape today just shorter. The puma is to short to pocket carry anymore. No plating on the case , just plane ole steel and still smooth operating. The sog I carry is maybe 6 years old and still look great. Only meat it see's is a steak when we dine out though. No lube on any of them. Just a wash and dry once in a while.
Hold up. you pull your sog out at the steak house?
Old March 21, 2014, 09:20 PM   #18
JohnKSa

Quote:
But knives I like to keep food safe.
Try White Lightning Chain Lube or Knife Lube. It's the same regardless of which product you use. The liquid carrier evaporates leaving a wax lubricant in place. It's not advertised as being food safe, but wax is pretty harmless.

If that's not good enough, Dillon sells a product called Snake Oil that is supposed to be food safe. Lubriplate also makes some food grade oils and greases.
Old March 22, 2014, 09:06 AM   #19
hso

The best anti rust treatment for knife blades is one of the wax based products.

There's little real need to lube a pivot on most knives and a drop of anything that won't dissolve/degrade any handle/washer/bushing synthetic material is fine since there's no high speed or high heat wear for knives (even switchblades).

The food industry regularly uses food grade mineral oil based products.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:21 PM   #20
MDI_Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife21 View Post
Hold up. you pull your sog out at the steak house?

I was thinking the same thing. I am not sure how it would go over if I whipped out a SCHF9, a Recon Tanto or the like and started slicing up my steak at any local steakhouse. I might be able to get away with a Mora Classic No. 2 or an Opinel No. 8.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:28 PM   #21
hso

I've used my Sebenza at a place that didn't provide a proper steak knife.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:31 PM   #22
chevyforlife21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hso View Post
I've used my Sebenza at a place that didn't provide a proper steak knife.
Off topic but most places always give you some crappy butter knife thinking your gonna stab somebody with it.