Quantcast
Switchblades - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 16, 2010, 10:47 AM   #26
IBEWBULL

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm#S-W

State knife laws link is above. How up to date it is is the question.
Also there are some really old laws out there.
Norfolk Va has a law against lock blade knives. I was stopped in 1973 and told to put my Buck in my pocket not out for view in the pouch, and not bring it out in public again.
"You can carry a sword but not a lock blade." Norfolk Police. I never had a problem with my M28 S&W and the Virginis police.
Go figure ?
Old January 16, 2011, 05:12 PM   #27
old4x4

All knife regulations have been rescinded including the ban on automatic knives in the state of NEW HAMPSHIRE as of the passing New Hampshire's "Knife Rights law" on May 18, 2010.
My question is, can an auto knife be shipped from another state or do I have to buy one within NH? I'm not too clear about interpretation of the above stated law.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:54 PM   #28
Gary G23

"My question is, can an auto knife be shipped from another state or do I have to buy one within NH?"

You should re-read the first post.

"Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:"

Unless you are one of the exceptions it cannot be legally shipped from another state.

Last edited by Gary G23; January 16, 2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old January 17, 2011, 11:10 AM   #29
old4x4

Thx Gary...exactly what I what was looking for.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:50 PM   #30
hso

The laws concerning shipping of switchblades applies to the shipper and not the recipient. The buyer can only violate the state or local laws. The seller/shipper can violate the Federal laws.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:39 AM   #31
Jim NE

Knife laws are incredibly vague and confusing. I believe my state has a law that says something like "knives X, Y and Z are illegal...unless you're attacked and your life is in danger, then suddenly it's legal to have them."

The old switchblade laws of the late '50's were really more symbolic than anything else. Switchblades aren't any more lethal than steak knives or many garden utensils, but the national authorities needed a law to crack down on the growing number of leather jacketed juvenile delinquints in 1958. The common denominator for many of these hoods was that they carried switchblades, so that was what they made the law about. I think it's really local and state laws that matter.

There are companies currently operating that will send switchblades to basically any state in the union. This may give the customer the impression that it's legal to own them anywhere. This may not be the case, though they probably are legal in more places than most people realize.

My favorite knife is purely legal - it's a modern Buck with a 3" locking blade that has a thumb tab for one-handed opening. The only difference between it and a switchblade is about a half a second (or less) openning time. And it's much sturdier than a stilletto and so light that you forget it's in your pocket. Truly a masterpiece of ergonomics.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:15 PM   #32
mcmurry

My state (Arkansas) says that knives as weapons can only be carried on a journey. And that knives with a blade longer than 3 1/2 inches will automatically be considered as a weapon. So if I'm carrying my Benchmade automatic and I'm out of town, then I can claim to be on a journey. I think I will find a cop and ask!
Old May 20, 2011, 09:29 PM   #33
hso

The police are NOT legal experts on relatively obscure points of law and asking them is not the sound advice it seems on the face of it.

If you want a legal opinion that is meaningful get one for a city attorney or state AG.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:28 PM   #34
SeekHer

List of state knife carry/possession laws:

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html
Old March 23, 2014, 02:33 PM   #35
hso

Thanks to the efforts of Knife Rights and the efforts made by the citizens of TN, come Monday when HB1883 passes on the House floor, TN will change from a "collector" state to a no restriction state for switchblade knives. Blade length restrictions will be removed also.

KR has done the same for several states in the past couple of years.