Quantcast
Ruger's New "SR" 9E? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 30, 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
kcofohio

Ruger's New "SR" 9E?

Ruger looks to have a new 9mm in their line-up. They call it 9E, while Davidson's Gallery of Guns calls it SR9E. I'm thinking it may be to compete with the S&W SD9VE?

http://ruger.com/products/9E/models.html

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...ger&mdlno=SR9E

MSRP is $100 less than the SR9. Only comes with 1 magazine. Either 10 +1 or 17 +1.
Old June 30, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
RustyShackelford

Shield?....

At first I thought Ruger wanted to compete with the Beretta Nano, M&P Shields, Kahr Arms CM series, the P290RS 9x19mm, and XDs pistols but the specs say it's 10/17 rounds?

The SR9 line is popular but what is Ruger up too?

Andre Agassi
Old June 30, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3
F-111 John

Sounds like Ruger's replacement for the P95 series.
Old June 30, 2014, 09:56 PM   #4
kcofohio

Quote:
The SR9 line is popular but what is Ruger up too?
One article mentioned about Ruger is using this gun to take place of the P-series.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/06/28/ruger-9e/

Quote:
That puts this handgun in the ballpark of the now discontinued Ruger P95 in terms of price.
Old June 30, 2014, 09:57 PM   #5
kcofohio

John, looks like you're no the only one thinking this.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:29 PM   #6
beeenbag
Contributing Member

It looks just like the sr9, what's different?
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be ‘If I only had my gun.’”
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass.”

www.zcastbulletz.com
Old June 30, 2014, 11:05 PM   #7
MAKster

It appears to be just a cheaper version of the SR9. Lower quality slide finish, sights, etc. Probably like how Kahr has the lower priced CW version of the P models.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:09 PM   #8
benzy2

From the website, it looks like a standard carbon steel rather than stainless as well as fixed sights rather than adjustable rear sight. It comes in about an ounce heavier as well. There are fewer serrations on the slide. It also looks like the sight dovetail is smaller and the pins holding things in place in the slide are arranged different. My guess is it's just a cheaper way to make the SR9 and as such they are using it to replace the old P95. Seems like a good idea if the R&D is low and simpler machining processes can be used. Beyond that time will tell if trigger work is different, but I doubt it will be anything vastly changed.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:12 PM   #9
greyling22

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ost-ruger-sr9/

personally I like it better than the regular one. at least on paper. possibly a normal sight cut and less money, sounds like a winner to me.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:25 PM   #10
mgmorden

I think this will do well - they needed a P95 replacement for sure. I finally bit the bullet and got an SR9 about 2 months ago (bought used so I doubt this will be that much better of a deal), but I think this will do well for them.

As a matter of fact if you look at some other pics of the top of the slide you'll notice they removed the obnoxious LCI from the gun. In that regard I'd actually consider that BETTER than the standard SR9.

Interestingly though they drop the SR moniker on this. Official name on Ruger's site isn't the SR9E, but rather just the Ruger 9E.
Old July 1, 2014, 01:16 AM   #11
herrwalther

I must be missing something as well. According to Ruger's own spec sheet, the 9E is 0.01" shorter, almost 1 oz heavier, and $100 cheaper. I understand going for budget firearms, but the SR pistols can be found for much under MSRP if you look around/buy used.
Old July 1, 2014, 02:45 AM   #12
mdThanatos

From Ruger's website here are the differences, that I found, between the 9e and the SR9:

9e:

Fixed 3 dot sights
1 magazine only
Alloy Steel/Blued
No mag loader included
View port instead of LCI
MSRP $429

SR9:

Adjustable 3 dot sights
2 mags
Stainless Steel/Brushed Stainless or Alloy Steel/Black Nitride
Mag loader
LCI
MSRP $529
Old July 1, 2014, 06:53 AM   #13
bannockburn

Sounds like a win/win to me. Lower cost and no LCI.
Old July 1, 2014, 07:05 AM   #14
snooperman

I think it is a win -win for us and Ruger. Thank You, Ruger
Old July 1, 2014, 07:25 AM   #15
HexHead

Didn't need a LCI since they're not planning on selling new pistols in CA.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old July 1, 2014, 08:58 AM   #16
TarDevil

I've got a SR9c... I'm good.

It's a good move for Ruger. The LCI is a non issue for me either way...I just don't pay any attention to it, but if it lowers production cost I'm all for getting rid of it.

Non adjustable sights.... I had to tweak the windage on mine a bit, but hopefully Ruger will get the sights right.

The SR series has been a success. Same basic gun for a hundred bucks less, how can they go wrong?

Last edited by TarDevil; July 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:37 AM   #17
F-111 John

kcofohio: Great minds think alike!
Old July 1, 2014, 06:05 PM   #18
mdThanatos

It is definitely on my watch list. I have ruled out the SR series due to the LCI. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can see the LCI when looking down the sights and it bothers me. I have to admit I don't like the fact that it only comes with one mag.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:49 PM   #19
Arizonan

Ruger guns today. Suck.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:55 PM   #20
Arizonan

Designs are garbage. Bluing sucks, wears right off. Stupid load chamber alert. Bill Ruger would be disappointed. Ruger use to be a designer. Now they are copiers. Would never own a Ruger today. Ani own over eight of the quality ones from the 70s, 80s
Old July 1, 2014, 10:18 PM   #21
ritepath

If they make it in a 40, I may have to get one....that way I don't have to waste money on a handgun in a caliber I don't have much use for but have plenty of.

I'll be keeping my eye open for a P or SR in 40 until then.
Old July 1, 2014, 11:33 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
Bill Ruger would be disappointed.
Why? Because the SR9 and 9E can hold more than 10 rounds?
Old July 1, 2014, 11:40 PM   #23
TarDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdThanatos View Post
It is definitely on my watch list. I have ruled out the SR series due to the LCI. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can see the LCI when looking down the sights and it bothers me. I have to admit I don't like the fact that it only comes with one mag.
I don't know how that's possible.
Old July 2, 2014, 12:01 AM   #24
9mmforMe

I like it better than the SR series. Hate the LCI, the one mag is a bummer though. The SD9 comes in stainless with 2 mags.....hmmm....interesting.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:21 AM   #25
malakili

I like the idea of a simplified SR9, but I wish they went further and removed the mag disconnect and thumb safety. I used to have one and it shot great for me, but it's just got too many gizmos.

1. We're all constantly in grave danger from armed criminals, in our homes, schools, and businesses.

2. Anyone who would keep or carry a gun to protect themselves from armed criminals is misguided or paranoid.