Quantcast
Midwest Gen 2 SS, my fault? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 24, 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
.Scarecrow.

Midwest Gen 2 SS, my fault?

I recently purchased a Midwest Gen 2 SS and installed it on my AR. The condition of the handguard now is that the teeth on the handguard that engage with the barrel nut are now bent in an upward position.

Now, before you read any more, in my defense... I was a little too excited when it arrived and I think I did some pretty stupid things that resulted in it being damaged like this, so please, resist and insulting comments because I'm beating myself up enough, thanks.

I first realized that my gasblock choice was an issue, it was a VLTOR clamp on gas block, well, the screws on that gas block ended up touching the handguard on the bottom. So, I filed out room for the screws. I wanted to test the heat transfer of the gas block to see if it would make the handguard hot. I went outside and hammered 30 rounds through it as fast as I could. The handguard was not tightened down properly when I did this. I believe I was working too fast and didn't think about it much. After I got done shooting, I noticed that now the gas block was touching the handguard again when before I started shooting, there was some clearance. I came to the conclusion today that if the handguard kicked up in the front, that it could have kicked downward in the back; putting upward pressure on these aluminum teeth, if you follow me. I also took it on and off several times to work on it and test the fit while working on filing room for the gas block. Each time torquing the screws to the recommended 35 inch pounds. Which, felt like a LOT of torque. Several times when my hands were sweaty, I needed two hands on my torque wrench just to do it, a buddy of mine personally believes that if it feels like too much torque, it probably is. I also think it should be known that at no point did I use the recommended Retaining Glue they send with it, because I knew I was going to take it on and off to figure out my gas block situation. Which they tell to apply the Retaining Glue and let cure for 12 hours.

Guys, I know this is a lot but, do all these things sound like it would have been what caused the damage I've experienced?

Again, I just want to figure this out, go easy please, haha.

Much appreciated.
Old January 25, 2015, 04:15 AM   #2
jakk280rem

If you needed two hands to apply 3 foot pounds of force on a screw, you may want readdress the difference between an inch and a foot. And yeah, sounds like you tweaked it pretty good. Buy a new handguard and a gas block that will work and try again. Also don't be afraid to get on here and ask for some directions. The MI G2 SS handguard is a generally well regarded piece around here and I know quite a few people willing to walk you through it.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Sam1911

Ok...like, wow. I know it can be tempting to go gung ho when putting a new rifle together, but now you get to slow down and start over again.

If I understand correctly, you couldn't get the tube to go on straight because it hit the gas block? If you're going with a MI tube, get the gas block they recommend to go under it: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=253 They make both, so get what they tell you will work together.

35 INCH pounds is not very much. You were probably using a FOOT-pounds torque wrench and ... yowza.

Actually bending the teeth? Sheesh. I guess if it was canted out of parallel because the gas block was holding it out, and you put a lot of torque on the screws maybe that could happen. But it seems like it would have been a real bear to try to jam together each time you tried to assemble it, if it couldn't go on nice and straight.

Honestly, as painful and expensive as this is, it really sounds like you need to get a new tube and gas block and start over again. If you've butchered the teeth and over-torqued the mounting doing it, and ground part of the rail anyway... it's probably never going to be right.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom

Last edited by Sam1911; January 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Sam1911

See the difference here?

MI Low profile:

What you have:

I guess the screws there were hitting the inside of the tube?

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old January 25, 2015, 10:44 AM   #5
.Scarecrow.

That is correct Sam on the screws touching the handguard. It didn't take long to get it filed out "Correctly", the only time it was touching was in the very beginning when I put it on my rifle for kicks, I don't remember if I did 35 inch lbs in the beginning though. It also was touching, like I said, when I fired it. I am going to use the A2 front sight that will be chopped like you recommended on my other thread, and I know that will fit. And I know that my wrench was on 35 inch lbs. But, I will say it was a Wheeler FAT wrench, not the best but it did the job for my LaRue mount. If anyone else has installed these, let me know how you did it successfully. I am planning on buying a new handguard already. Also, in terms of grinding down the rail in the back. A buddy and I did that and used calipers to make sure it was even all around. I did this so that the rail could be pushed back ever so slightly more and the teeth would be fully seated and the handguard would be fully seated on the barrel nut. I was only about .03", but it was visible.

Last edited by .Scarecrow.; January 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 25, 2015, 02:06 PM   #6
RussB

What did you file? The gas block or the handguard?

35 in/lbs is not much. 2 fingers on my 1/4" drive torque wrench is all that's required. Sad to say but a series of goofs ruined your hand guard.

I installed that same hand guard on my latest upper build. I had no issues and its very secure

Old January 25, 2015, 06:59 PM   #7
.Scarecrow.

The most important thing is that I find out what went wrong. I'd rather fix myself than discover that Midwest made a poor product.
Old January 25, 2015, 07:11 PM   #8
hoghunting

I bought the Gen 2 keymod handguard, but couldn't find the MI low profile gas block for the .750 barrel in stock anywhere and most other gas blocks won't fit. Found the gas block on ebay cheaper than I could buy it else where, and the guy had it in stock. MI's gas block fits perfectly with their narrow hand guards. I initially installed mine without the Loctite as I wanted to make sure the gas block aligned with the gas hole in the barrel. After the first shooting, everything worked as it was supposed to so I pulled the hand guard, used the Loctite when reinstalling and tightened the two screws. Everything is aligned and works as it should. I'm very happy with Midwest Industries products.
Old January 25, 2015, 09:09 PM   #9
RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Scarecrow. View Post
The most important thing is that I find out what went wrong. I'd rather fix myself than discover that Midwest made a poor product.
You clearly stated what you did wrong. What more do you need?
Old January 25, 2015, 09:48 PM   #10
.Scarecrow.

Thank you Russ, your comment was noted.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM   #11
jakk280rem

I used a troy gas block and I know the bcm gas block fits for sure.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....72&postcount=9 here's a shot of my G2 ss equipped rifle.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #12
.Scarecrow.

Well guys, Midwest got back with me and they said the tabs can bend if it is torqued to 35 inch lbs multiple times. But, their function is purely to help align the gas tube and top rail, so they don't serve much function.