Quantcast
Good, Econimical AR15 Safety Selector - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 8, 2016, 09:33 PM   #1
Jackal

Good, Econimical AR15 Safety Selector

So, I'm tired of sloppy safety selectors. Doesnt seem to matter if its Colt, RRA, BCM, PSA, Anderson or DPMS, the USGI type selector always seems to be mushy/imprecise. I want one that clicks positively, without the mushy play the mil-spec style has. I dont need ambi and I also dont want to spend big $$$ on one. What do you guys use?
Old June 8, 2016, 09:45 PM   #2
jakk280rem

Whatever comes in whatever lpk I buy. I really like the spikes lpk I used a few years ago. The build your own lpk I got from red barn armory wasn't great. Very stiff.

Don't forget, if you buy a new selector you'll want a new detent and spring too.
Old June 8, 2016, 10:08 PM   #3
1911 guy

This might be a really stupid question, but are the issues you're having with home builds and pre-packaged lower parts kits? If so, try a new spring and detent first. If I remember correctly, the selector lever detent spring is slightly longer than the other detent springs in a lower parts kit. If a shorter one was included, it might give you the same "mushy" feeling because it lacks positive engagement.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old June 8, 2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Jackal

Quote:
are the issues you're having with home builds and pre-packaged lower parts kits?
Out of 11 or 12 AR's, they all have this, whether factory or home build, using usgi type selector. There's gotta be a sub $50 selector that SNAPS into detent.

Last edited by Jackal; June 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old June 8, 2016, 11:15 PM   #5
briansmithwins

The BAD selector has lots of options and is very positive in its action.

http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com...tor-ar15-ar10r

BSW
Old June 9, 2016, 10:20 AM   #6
Welding Rod

I bought a dozen or so from RRA, then tried them all. The ones that were not positive (3 or 4) I returned for replacement.

I know what you mean though, I can't stand a mushy safety lever. Some don't have the detent cut cleanly and there is no positive snap into position.
Old June 10, 2016, 11:46 AM   #7
lysanderxiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
So, I'm tired of sloppy safety selectors. Doesnt seem to matter if its Colt, RRA, BCM, PSA, Anderson or DPMS, the USGI type selector always seems to be mushy/imprecise. I want one that clicks positively, without the mushy play the mil-spec style has. I dont need ambi and I also dont want to spend big $$$ on one. What do you guys use?
Generally, I have found the behavior of the safety is more dependent on its fit in the lower than the safety switch itself.

Then the next problem area is the detent.

YMMV....
Old June 10, 2016, 12:38 PM   #8
wally

I've only ever had the problem of them being too hard to move, never sloppy. Trimming a few turns from the detent spring worked for me.

Before spending a ton of money, try making the spring a bit stronger by "pre-compressing" it with a bit of #2 or #4 screw (whatever fits) in the pistol grip hole.

While you have the grip off, make sure the tip of the brass detent is not "boogered up".
Old June 10, 2016, 01:53 PM   #9
ny32182

I've used several different styles of ambi, and never found any real consistent difference between them in terms of feel. All the factors that would go into the overall feel:

How clean and smooth is the detent channel in the selector body?
How smooth is the surface inside the selector hole in the lower?
How sharp is the tip of the detent itself?
How heavy is the detent spring?

In my experience it is just kind of luck of the draw. If I wanted to change the feel I'd try a new spring and detent first. To increase spring tension, you could probably put some kind of VERY SMALL spacer material of some kind under the spring in the pistol grip, and it would probably result in a more positive click.

I did just install a Seekins ambi into a lower this week (on sale for $34 at Midway right now). It is the stiffest one I've ever had, to the point that I kind of hope it loosens up a little with some use, which I'm sure it will. For 34 bucks I think it is a pretty good deal compared to others, so I have a couple more on the way. I have a Battle arms as well and like it too, but it is twice as much money.

The Seekins lets you pick between a 45 or 90 degree throw, and comes with two different sized levers. If you don't want to use both levers you can just leave one off.
Old June 11, 2016, 09:11 AM   #10
Tirod

There is apparently a perception issue here - as milspec safeties are usually notchy, higher effort, and noisy in operation. So much so that some who hunt with AR's trim the springs or find detents that roll off with less effort. Some safeties are made to do that, too.

The average issue rifle and the two AR's I've built, no, the safety is stiff and loud. If anything a mushy safety is unusual and not typical of the vast majority built to milspec.
Old June 11, 2016, 03:59 PM   #11
lysanderxiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
There is apparently a perception issue here - as milspec safeties are usually notchy, higher effort, and noisy in operation. So much so that some who hunt with AR's trim the springs or find detents that roll off with less effort. Some safeties are made to do that, too.

The average issue rifle and the two AR's I've built, no, the safety is stiff and loud. If anything a mushy safety is unusual and not typical of the vast majority built to milspec.
True.

If you want a smooth, silent safety, make the detent a full radius, not a cone point....