Quantcast
Anyone here buy PSA 7.62x39 upper? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 11, 2015, 04:51 PM   #1
improperlyaged

Anyone here buy PSA 7.62x39 upper?

I am considering buying one and see that they have good reviews on Palmetto's site. I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience? What mags you use and how reliable the gun is? I would love to own an ARx39.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by
Old August 12, 2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Ibmikey

AR's and 7.62x39 do not seem to mix well, the upper is normally not the problem it is the lower and magazines that create difficulty presenting the cartridge. If i had to have that caliber i would buy something designed specifically for it.
Old August 12, 2015, 08:14 AM   #3
DoubleMag

There is no reason save the ability of the shooter and decent ammo, for that caliber to not work in an AR type platform. 5rd, 10, 20, 30rd mags are relatively cheap through ACS, the lower has absolutely nothing to do with it.
The only potential problems you may encounter, the bolt for 762x39 is the same as 556, just machined out a little. So as if looking at the bolt face there's less of a 'rim' to support the cartridge face, if that is the correct term(s). Also there's a slight difference in the firing pin but if you're buying it all premade i.e. PSA that should be good to go.

No, the cartridge is NOT inaccurate, I've seen guys print 2.5'' groups with iron sights at 200yds. Ideal conditions etc. , YMMV

Overall IMHO, just DO IT !!
Old August 12, 2015, 09:20 AM   #4
MechAg94

The problem I heard of was the 7.62X39 has a lot of magazine tilt and the mag well of an AR lower is straight for the first few inches. I figured the new designs had figured out how to account for that, but I don't know.

I have had good luck with the PSA stuff I have gotten so far.
Old August 12, 2015, 02:57 PM   #5
desidog

Quote:
5rd, 10, 20, 30rd mags are relatively cheap through ACS,
+1 for ASC mags.

I think the weakest point with x39 AR15's is that there isn't much meat on the bolt face. Here is one (from M1S, not palmetto) that lost two lugs...my most notable AR-related issue to date!

Old August 12, 2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Casefull

I just put one of their 39 uppers on and it shoots great. Hand loads and commie steel cased. I use stoner mags from midway. 10 and 30 round. Never any hiccups. I have 3 from model 1 sales. Very accurate. My truck gun is 10.5 7.62x 39 pistol. It is still over 2000 fps even with short barrel.
Old August 14, 2015, 10:24 AM   #7
M1key

Colt upper on a RRA lower here. 1 MOA is common with brass cased factory or handloads (all I shoot). ASC ten and twenty rounders are best, IMO. Recently acquired a "Superbolt" as a spare made out of "proprietary aerospace material" whatever that is. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it. No experience with the PSA however.

M

Last edited by M1key; August 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old August 23, 2015, 10:32 PM   #8
improperlyaged

A friend and I went ahead and bought one. Out of 100 rounds rounds of steel case only had 4 failures All of them light primer strikes. Figure a more powerful hammer spring will fix that

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by
Old August 24, 2015, 11:26 AM   #9
M1key

Quote:
Figure a more powerful hammer spring will fix that
Or an enhanced (longer) firing pin. Some steel ammo has harder primers that others, so you might try some other brand.

M
Old August 24, 2015, 03:42 PM   #10
rbernie
Contributing Member

Quote:
Out of 100 rounds rounds of steel case only had 4 failures All of them light primer strikes. Figure a more powerful hammer spring will fix that
You need more firing pin protrusion, not more ding to the hit. Either reduce the bolt's tail length by a few thou or pull a few thou off the firing pin collar - either will let the firing pin extend a little bit more and make the rifle fully reliable with ComBlock ammo.

Support THR by becoming a Contributing Member. Texans should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
-
Trying to alter human behavior by regulating objects has been historically proven a fools errand, and yet is the fundamental underlying premise of gun control.
-
A conclusion is not a destination, it's simply a convenient place to stop thinking.
-
Reading a thing doesn't automatically make it so, and repeating it doesn't necessarily make it any truer.

-
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no class.
Old August 24, 2015, 05:13 PM   #11
HankC

Quote:
Originally Posted by improperlyaged View Post
A friend and I went ahead and bought one. Out of 100 rounds rounds of steel case only had 4 failures All of them light primer strikes. Figure a more powerful hammer spring will fix that
Is yours PSA? I thought PSA claims it is fixed.
Old August 24, 2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Casefull

My PSA shoots the steel cased as reliably as the brass. I have not had any fails of any sort. I do not like the steel as it is hard on barrels but shoots fine.