Quantcast
New Patent for the Garand? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 25, 2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Kailuaflyer

New Patent for the Garand?

I was researching to see if the patent on the M1 is still being held by Springfield Armory or if it has lapsed. I have yet to find the answer to my original search, but I did find this interesting patent for an "enhanced" Garand:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20110030546
Old November 25, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2
Jim K

I think the M1 patents were in John Garand's name, assigned to the United States.

But unless I am missing something, that patent appears to be the same idea as was used in the early 1960's by folks converting the M1 to use 7.62 and an M14 magazine. Maybe there are differences in details or maybe the folks who did the conversions never patented the idea, but it all looks very familiar.

Jim
Old November 25, 2014, 02:25 AM   #3
Kailuaflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
I think the M1 patents were in John Garand's name, assigned to the United States.

But unless I am missing something, that patent appears to be the same idea as was used in the early 1960's by folks converting the M1 to use 7.62 and an M14 magazine. Maybe there are differences in details or maybe the folks who did the conversions never patented the idea, but it all looks very familiar.

Jim
Yeah, it looked like the M14 to me too. No idea why there would be a patent on a design that has already been implemented, unless this is a patent troll.
Old November 25, 2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Bezoar

its not technicallly new or old. what theyve done is designed a replacement trigger guard that accepts m1 magazines.
and a scope mount that puts the entire scope centered directly over the entire ejection port.

think putting a scope mounted over the top ejection winchester rifle, then turning it to a semi auto. FUN.
Old November 25, 2014, 10:25 AM   #5
dogmush

Proprietary mag?

I didn't think .30-06 would fit in an M14 mag, and the patent doesn't say anything about changing caliber. It actually says no permanent mods to the rifle.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:56 PM   #6
wojownik

I think the unique or "non-obvious" contribution of this patent is the overall idea that "the kit must complete it's design functions with no permanent modification to the rifle." The M14 design is a significant and permanent modification. Not saying, though, that the patent isn't close to several other ideas already out there ...
Old November 25, 2014, 01:03 PM   #7
carbine85

My thoughts are there isn't many people out willing to modify their Garands at this point in time. They bring a hefty price.

"That's the good thing as a President, I can do whatever I want"
Barack Obama - Americas 1st Dictator
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights)
Old November 25, 2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Jim Watson

There were some of the T20 or T22 series of box magazine M1 derivatives that used the standard length action others were longer to improve full auto operation. I don't know how much even the shorter ones were modified from the M1 receiver, though.
Old November 25, 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
zoom6zoom

The company currently doing business as Springfield Armory has no connection to the original other than licensing the name. The original Springfield Armory shut down in 1968