Quantcast
Long range caliber - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 05:58 AM   #1
Ro1911

Long range caliber

I'm buying a remington 700 and was wondering what caliber to get, I've basically narrowed it down to a few.

308, 3006, 300 win mag, and maybe 338 lapua, but I think the 338 is more then what I need and its expensive.

the 3006 is only really up for consideration because I have 1500 rds of 3006 for wwii era us military rifles, so compatibility would be nice.

the 300 win mag IDK that much about, is it worth the extra money?

and is 3006 inferior to 308 for some reason?
On another subject why do I hear people say to ditch the .22, thats kind of like saying don't ever have a cheeseburger again. The .22 is one of the quintessential american cartridges, I think I'll get rid of apple pie while I'm at it.
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #2
zerobarrier

What ranges are you shooting? Just target or hunting or both? I just put one together for long range, went with a rem 700 in 308, I'm using it for mainly up to 600 yards. cost, availability, and versatility sold it for me. I do handload for it and there are a lot of options for it. 338 would be nice but its damn expensive and I like to shoot a lot, so it wasn't a good fit for me. If I was shooting 1000 yards and beyond might have gone with 6.5 creedmore, 260, or 7mm-08.
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #3
nastynatesfish

Ya really depends what you want to do. As far as ww2 ammo and capability idk. 308 is a good round. I shoot one for target play. I'm not a big 30 cal fan. I like my 7mm. A 300 win a beast of a round in comparison to the others but it's a lot more component when you consider it's about 75-80 gr powder and 3006 is about 50-60 and 308 is 40-50.

A mistake may mark a man, but admitting a mistake is the mark of a man.
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #4
nastynatesfish

I think a 338 lapua is not on the screen. I think it's a lotta waste as far as hunting or target unless your gonna shoot 1 mile plus on man sized game in the wind. IMO

A mistake may mark a man, but admitting a mistake is the mark of a man.
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #5
Plastikosmd

^agree the 300 is more beastly than those listed except the lapua. I really like my 338 lapua, cheaper to reload than buy. It really depends on the ranges u are looking at and what u are seeking in terminal ballistics
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #6
Ro1911

I'm looking to take man sized targets as far out as possible, I'd like to be able to shoot out to 1000, but I don't think the 308 or 3006 are up to that, cost wise I like both of them, but for 600-1000 yards I'm thinking the 300 would be best, how much cheaper is it then 338?

Basically how far can one shoot a 308?
And would a 300 win mag be better?
On another subject why do I hear people say to ditch the .22, thats kind of like saying don't ever have a cheeseburger again. The .22 is one of the quintessential american cartridges, I think I'll get rid of apple pie while I'm at it.
Old Today, 08:36 AM   #7
C-grunt

A good 308 load goes transonic somewhere around 1000-1100 yards usually. 308 is perfectly capable to reach 1k and 30-06 will get out to 1500 with the right loads.
OIF 1 and 3