Quantcast
What causes a misfire with .22 LR ammo? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #1
jrdolall
Contributing Member

What causes a misfire with .22 LR ammo?

I had a misfire yesterday using a sub-sonic ammo out of a Winchester semi. I have shot several boxes of this exact ammo as I use it as my main varmint eradicator around the house. I lined up the shot and got a click rather than a bang. Since this is sub-sonic it normally does not feed well so I basically use the gun like a bolt gun and manually feed each round.

I don't know the internal workings of 22 ammo like I do center fire so I was just wondering how the ammo actually works. There was a clear ding in the bottom of the round and the next time I pulled the trigger the round(different round)went off as expected (bad news for the chipmunk). I did not try to fire the dud again but just tossed it.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2
Jim Watson

During manufacture the priming mix is moved to the rim by spinning the brass.
Sometimes there is a little gap. If that is where your firing pin hits, misfire.
Try it again with the round oriented differently in the chamber to be hit somewhere else on the rim. If it doesn't fire then, it either lacks priming compound entirely or maybe it did not get fully dried.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #3
Skylerbone

^^^^^^^^^^

Further, the priming compound is impact sensitive. Silica is embedded to provide the friction necessary to provide detonation upon impact from the hammer. Jim is of course correct on both instances denoted providing a no-go dud as the prime is stable when wet and does nothing if the firing pin hits a void.

Most every "dud" I've had did indeed fire on being re-chambered.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #4
tommy.duncan

My Scoutmaster always told us to rotate the round and try a second time. Most of the time the second strike will fire the round.
Jim (post #2) is correct an air gap in the primer.

10mm Club Member #56
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #5
whughett

Quite common in bulk pack ammo. That stuff sold on 550 round loose pack boxes. Remington seems the worse but Federal and Winchester both will have a 1/2 dozen or so to a box. Even that seems a little given the production rate.
Rambo III
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #6
jrdolall
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. This was Gemtech subsonic and has been completely reliable for me over the past year or so with maybe 125 rounds fired in sighting in and eradicating pests.
I now have an understanding of how the rimfire ammo ignites which is what I was looking for.