Quantcast
Kalashnikov-USA - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 20, 2015, 09:57 PM   #1
CLP

Kalashnikov-USA

Excuse this if already posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news...v-made-in-usa/

Article about AKs being made here in the US. I've never owned an AK, but I'd be tempted to buy one if priced right.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:02 PM   #2
9mm+

I own a SKS which has a somewhat similar action. Fantastic rifle. VERY reliable and pretty accurate. The DI AR's will be a bit more accurate with their lighter bullets, but I'm a big fan of the 7.62x39 caliber.

Last edited by 9mm+; January 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:11 PM   #3
herkyguy

So I guess my Centurion 39 doesn't count as a made in the USA gun since it isn't called an AK47?

Century builds theirs in VT if I'm not mistaken. A high quality AK in my opinion.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:17 PM   #4
primalmu

Quote:
I own a SKS which has the same action. Fantastic rifle. VERY reliable and pretty accurate. The DI AR's will be a bit more accurate with their lighter bullets, but I'm a big fan of the 7.62x39 caliber.
An SKS does NOT have the same action as an AK...
Old January 20, 2015, 10:17 PM   #5
sappyg

Neat... I like reading the comments in 'news articles' like this. That's fun stuff right there.

It makes sense to produce AKs in the US now given current pricing and unfortunate sanctions.

Last edited by sappyg; January 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:38 PM   #6
ThePenguinKnight

Are these AKs going to be actually US made? A lot of supposedly US-made AKs are just slapped together out of foreign parts with just enough domestic parts to be legal. I suppose that wouldn't be too bad if the price is ok.

My wife has been asking me for a wood-furniture AK to compliment my Saiga...
Old January 20, 2015, 10:45 PM   #7
jhb

If it's gonna be made with quality parts and the pricing isn't insane......I'd be interested in adding one to my collection.
Old January 20, 2015, 11:15 PM   #8
GAMEOVER44

Id be the first in line to buy an AK made in the USA. We could make them better ANY DAY!

I really hate the term "Assault Rifle" everything I shot in my life had no intentions of Assault more then the next gun.

edit* why I take that back I may assault a paper target every now and then.

edit 2** We can make it better IF the right people get on board.

edit 3*** Then we can sell it back to Russia the American way.

Last edited by GAMEOVER44; January 20, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 11:18 PM   #9
WestKentucky

Please please please...if they are going to make AKs let them also make Dragunovs
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old January 20, 2015, 11:31 PM   #10
barnbwt

This would be a hilarious result of our present sanctions regime; AK says to heck with finding workarounds and just comes here to produce guns unfettered. Talk about an Executive backfire

This exact scenario has basically already happened with an increasing number of European firearms companies, and now with formerly Eastern European companies like CZ and Radom (supposedly coming here to build the MSBS). I'm waiting for Imbel and Norinco to set up a franchise at this point

"Please please please...if they are going to make AKs let them also make Dragunovs"
Don't buy into the hype; they'd pale in comparison to the slick, modern wizardry of any modern 308-class target gun made today. What you want is a VSS Vintorez

TCB
"The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item." --BATFE
Old January 20, 2015, 11:33 PM   #11
HOOfan_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVER44 View Post
Id be the first in line to buy an AK made in the USA. We could make them better ANY DAY!
Century Arms has made the C39 in Vermont for a year..now making the C39V2 and RAS47
Old January 20, 2015, 11:34 PM   #12
WestKentucky

YES...Norinco.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old January 20, 2015, 11:57 PM   #13
dvdcrr

Americans will not make the AK as well as the old standard commie countries. American industry will find ways to cheapen the design, cut corners on materials etc. You will end up with no chrome on anything, weak springs, all polymer mags. Also I have never seen American 7.62x39 outperform russian wolf in any of my AK, sks, or sig rifles. Surplus steel mags are strong.
Old January 21, 2015, 12:12 AM   #14
urbaneruralite

How in the world could you cheapen the AK design? It's based on over-gassing, over-springing and a massive bolt to beat to dust anything that gets in it's way. No need for fine components.
Old January 21, 2015, 12:22 AM   #15
barnbwt

"Americans will not make the AK as well as the old standard commie countries."
It's funny, but I fully believe this to be the truth. I think the guns will work just as well, but won't be made as well. Americans absolutely destroy anyone else on the planet when it comes to finding ways to cheap out on product that don't irk the customer enough to affect sales. We are the kings of cheap junk (and yes, that includes having said junk made overseas to cheap out even more in a way that doesn't impact sales)

There is also an undeserved myth about a lack of craftsmanship in the Bloc countries. Show me an American in the 80's that was still employed making Nixie tubes by hand (Ukraine made them up until the collapse, and I believe still does to service aging equipment). The Soviets spared no expense when they thought it was needed, but also cheaped out when they thought they could; being a poor societal governor, these choices were often not very good.

"How in the world could you cheapen the AK design? It's based on over-gassing, over-springing and a massive bolt to beat to dust anything that gets in it's way. No need for fine components."
Furniture, surface finish, non-contacting machined surfaces, dimensional compatibility. None of these things figured highly in the first place, though. Ironically, since robots are already so much cheaper than humans in the gun-building world, several of these items are guaranteed for a bump. I also think we'll see plastic used where it is kinda inadvisable (think trigger guards, guide rods, and safeties)

TCB
"The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item." --BATFE
Old January 21, 2015, 12:30 AM   #16
HOOfan_1

C39V2 dissected..the only plastic is the magazines...but guess what you can go buy surplus mags if you want.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VK-466v-P-U
Old January 21, 2015, 12:45 AM   #17
WestKentucky

American AK is much more than a novelty. It is the same concept as others have done, and proven good. I can see more involvement and more support from groups like magpul. As for cutting corners, sure some corners will be cut, but others will be improved. Modern manufacturing processes will take over for outdated processes in some cases which can create higher quality parts. Will the gun be as slick as a Marlin 336, probably not, but neither is an arsenal. I can see this as being a very high quality weapon, or at least as good as a current AK.
Old January 21, 2015, 01:42 AM   #18
nathan

The AK 47 design is hard to beat. Its the preferred weapon of choice on the other side for 60 plus years. And we are still facing them in my places in the current situations . Its combat proven and what better way than to produce them here.
Old January 21, 2015, 02:05 AM   #19
WestKentucky

Hey, if we produce them here then they are open for military contract right?
Old January 21, 2015, 03:16 AM   #20
nathan

I bet theres tons of captured AK s from Vietnam, Grenada, Afghanistan and Iraq in US stockpiles. And of course the Pentagon buys a lot of those for use as arms aid in cases like the Free Syrian Army and other indigenous groups fighting for US interests.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:20 AM   #21
herkyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
Americans will not make the AK as well as the old standard commie countries. American industry will find ways to cheapen the design, cut corners on materials etc. You will end up with no chrome on anything, weak springs, all polymer mags. Also I have never seen American 7.62x39 outperform russian wolf in any of my AK, sks, or sig rifles. Surplus steel mags are strong.

Centurion 39: milled receiver, laminate stock, chrome barrel. Retails for $650.

Watch the torture tests on YouTube.

Not to beat the dead horse, but for goodness sake, it's s quality AK built in the US (in VT) and even has an American flag stamped into the receiver.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:21 AM   #22
herkyguy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421835671.321779.jpg

Here's my AK - built in the USA.
Old January 21, 2015, 07:10 AM   #23
Davek1977

Quote:

I see a lot of such sentiment, but reality hasn't shown this to be true. Currently, the "American" made AK-s on the market are considered inferior to foreign imports. You can disagree....but you'd be wrong
Old January 21, 2015, 10:18 AM   #24
9mm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmu View Post
An SKS does NOT have the same action as an AK...
Yep, I stand corrected. Meant to say somewhat similar action, so I will change the original post. Thanks!
Old January 21, 2015, 10:39 AM   #25
nathan

Actually if its an AK , i would buy an import. If its an AR, i buy American.