Quantcast
Finally I have my long range set-up - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 19, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
zerobarrier

Finally I have my long range set-up

Hello all,

I have started threads, posted comments and questions about which rifle I should go with, what I should do with it, and how best to load for it. So I figured I would post the final product. I ended up getting a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308 with a 20" heavy barrel with a 1in10 twist. I installed a timney trigger and set it at 2lb. I was not going to put the trigger in because I did not mind the x-mark pro trigger but since they started a recall I figured I would rather spend $100 on a new better trigger then send the rifle to remington for months. The trigger by the way is awesome way better then factory. I think it turned out great and I think the rifle will be able to shoot out to 1000 yards no problem(the problem would be with me), but mainly will be shot up to 600 yards. Its only missing one thing will two I guess, on monday I have a Wyatts detachable magazine assembly coming which will be installed then we are all done, besides putting a can on it(surefire or gemtech - I like the QD mounts with muzzle breaks) but thats a long way off. Anyways here are some pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-19_17-10-17_546.jpg (60.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-19_17-10-37_412.jpg (59.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-19_17-11-59_937.jpg (102.1 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-19_17-12-22_906.jpg (91.5 KB, 351 views)
Old April 19, 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
back40

nice looking rig, but your bi-pod is on backwards

what kind-of glass? how's she shoot?
Old April 19, 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
alfon99

Nice! The only thing I noticed is that your scope doesn't seem to be well leveled, but maybe it's just me.
Old April 19, 2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Geno

Very nice! Congratulations!

Geno

Guns are good;
Guns are great;
Please Lord help those who us hate.
Give us this day our daily lead,
and hunting land we’ll call a spread.
If I should die here on this day,
I pray for guns in Heaven with which to play.

Amen,

Doc2005
02-Nov-2006
Old April 19, 2014, 08:07 PM   #5
USSR

Quote:
I think the rifle will be able to shoot out to 1000 yards no problem
Actually, the problem is your 20" barrel. The .308 is a marginal 1,000 yard round as it is, and then to handicap yourself with the short barrel makes it all the worse. When doing load development, if you find you can reach 2650fps with a 175SMK, then you will be okay.

Don
Old April 19, 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
zerobarrier

I did notice the bipod was on backwards( I did that on purpose to see if you guys would notice :P ), I threw it on real quick to take those pics. Its back on right now. The scope its level perfectly the whole rifle is on a cant from the bipod not being tightened down. I am using 175 SMK's, have not chronoed it yet though
Old April 19, 2014, 09:16 PM   #7
zerobarrier

The scope isn't high end, its a Millett LRS-1 6-25x56. I was surprised on how nice it is though, glass is very clear. So far it shoots sub-moa to moa at 200 yards usually right around 1.5in groups, haven't shot it farther yet. I am new to long range shooting so I am working up to 500yards.
Old April 19, 2014, 09:43 PM   #8
zerobarrier

As for the 20" barrel being to short here is one of the many articles out there that have disproved that you need a 24" or 26" barrel.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-and-accuracy/
Old April 19, 2014, 10:31 PM   #9
browningguy

Except for the part where they claim that compensating for the additional wind drift would be simple. And they stopped at 900 instead of 1000 yards. I wonder which barrels keep the velocity supersonic all the way to 1000?
Old April 19, 2014, 10:48 PM   #10
nastynatesfish

Good looking rig. I run 175 also but I've got 10" or barrel on you. Haven't cronyed mine yet either maybe Monday. I think houll do fine at 600.

A mistake may mark a man, but admitting a mistake is the mark of a man.
Old April 19, 2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Dave P

Also looks like yer scope is way too far back. When I shoot, my eyeball is pretty close to my trig finger (vertically). Grab hold of that rifle and be one with it - it's not your ugly cousin who you don't want to kiss,

I wish I didn't sell my 20" rem700 years ago (police special, PSS Lite? or something?) nice handy size, and great accuracy at least to a few hundred yards.
Old April 19, 2014, 11:34 PM   #12
Gordon

1000 yards with a .308 with that scope will probably require 20 MOA built into mounts, just saying. I like the stock and muzzle, you realize the 1-10" twist is for sub sonic heavy bullets? 11.25" twist has pretty well been found to be optimum for up to 200 grain or so bullets at standard velocities. 26" barrel generally are about 200 fps faster than 20" barrels in .308 at the muzzle, it lessens farther out FWIW.
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old April 20, 2014, 12:36 AM   #13
Flatbush Harry

Nice tactical set-up. Bipod on backwards, scope set too far to rear, but the tactical bolt handle is a plus for when you're wearing kitchen mitts and the muzzle brake will certainly deafen your nearby friends. I would have gotten a Cuisinart or blender instead of a DBM from Wyatt (sketchy operation) but, then, I like my tactical martinis shaken, not blended or stirred.

I have a couple of precision rifles...they lack for toys but they shoot well. I do have QR bases and rings on my .375 H&H Mag hunting rifle but I got them to switch scopes from 3-9x40 to 1.5-6x24 or express sights as situation required. QR mounts on a tactical rifle with no BUIS is at best an affectation.

As we used to say in my old neighborhood, "Chacun a' son mishegas".

YMMV but probably shouldn't.

FH
Old April 20, 2014, 12:52 AM   #14
back40

Quote:
I do have QR bases and rings on my .375 H&H Mag hunting rifle but I got them to switch scopes from 3-9x40 to 1.5-6x24 or express sights as situation required. QR mounts on a tactical rifle with no BUIS is at best an affectation.
i believe the OP is referring to a QD mount for the can, not the scope.
Old April 20, 2014, 01:13 AM   #15
Skylerbone

Looks like you're on your way, next accessory might should be a one-piece mount with MOA built in as suggested. That would also take care of your eye relief which does indeed look a wee bit off. Got no real room for criticism, I don't poke holes much past 300 myself. Good luck and congratulations.
Old April 20, 2014, 01:25 AM   #16
zerobarrier

The eye relief is set perfect for me, I rest my cheek back a little farther, its what is comfortable for me. This way I don't have to jam my neck forward at 25x while prone or sitting. I believe my LOP is at 14.5" instead of the standard 13.5", also why it looks like the scope is to far back. The scope has internal moa adjustment of 140moa, shouldn't need the 20moa base

Last edited by zerobarrier; April 20, 2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old April 20, 2014, 09:32 AM   #17
zerobarrier

OK I looked at the scope and took your advice and moved it forward about 1", it looks like I still see full field of view now and can't go any farther. Thanks for the tip guys. Also I fixed the bipod even though I put it on backwards as a joke to see if anyone picked up on it, but I don't think some of you realized I was being a smart-ass.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308.jpg (97.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 308-2.jpg (79.0 KB, 197 views)
Old April 20, 2014, 09:39 AM   #18
zerobarrier

I also think I am going to return the Wyatts det mag. I kind of like the way it looks and feels now. Plus I tend to grab it and carry it right where the mag will be so that will get in my way.
Old April 20, 2014, 02:38 PM   #19
cammogunner

hey zero that is a work of art you have there thanks for those qwsome pics where did you manage to find one and is that stock from the factory?
Old April 20, 2014, 03:38 PM   #20
USSR

Quote:
As for the 20" barrel being to short here is one of the many articles out there that have disproved that you need a 24" or 26" barrel.
Sorry, zerobarrier, but I can find articles saying the earth is flat. I shot in 1,000 yard competition for 6 years, so I know what the .308 is capable of and not capable of, having seen it up front and personal. Guys having factory 20" barrels have a tough time reaching 1k with any accuracy due to the bullet going subsonic well before that. Exterior ballistics is simply velocity, BC, and altitude/atmospheric pressure. As I said before, if you can get the 175SMK up to about 2650fps, then you will be alright.

Don
Old April 20, 2014, 08:41 PM   #21
zerobarrier

Cammogunner its a Bell & Carlson A5 stock. Aftermarket
Old April 20, 2014, 10:52 PM   #22
dubbleA

I am not crazy about the stock, muzzle brake, the mounts, scope nor the KRG bolt knob but hey it's not my rifle. Can't do much about said items other than the knob. PM me about replacing that plastic knob thingy with something just as functional but a tad better looking.

The best thing you can do with your setup is is to shoot it and shoot it some more. After several hundred rounds down range you should know your limitations.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #23
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

Great looking gun best of luck with it
Charter Member JPFO
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #24
Lindy7443

Youll enjoy the Precision Armamentbrake...perceived recoil is definitely less...Enjoy the looks you get at the range from side blast, haha
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #25
zerobarrier

Ok I decided to keep the Wyatts detachable mag. It actually works really well. It dropped right in, no fitting required. I also cut the sunsade down by 2", that thing was huge. Took it from 5" to 3". The brake makes it feel like a 223, well worth it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Complete 308.jpg (91.6 KB, 10 views)