Quantcast
Fn spr a1 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 29, 2015, 06:57 PM   #1
P.B.Walsh

Fn spr a1

Hello all.

So today I was finally able to sight in my new FN SPR A1 rifle. I ordered this tifle from tacticalcoordination.com and they had it to me in about seven weeks. TACCORD throws in a free bedding job and since I am a member of snipershide.com, they cut members a nice discount.

The rifle, minus bedding usually retails for about $1600 - $1800, but I bought the rifle, plus a bedding job for $1300 plus $30 im shipping. Needless to say its a good deal.

Anyways back to shooting. My first go at a sight in was fudged by my ring screws stripping. They were medium Burris XTR rings. Bad luck I suppose. So I had my gun shop order a Leupold Mk. 2 unimount... which looks weird but consider it a strong mounting system and my cheek weld is still good, so I'm going with it for now at least.

Today I finally sent some rounds down range and actually got a hit at 300 yards, and boring hits at 200. Both on steel ISPC targets. So not a hard target, but still cool for me whose never shot past 100. Shot a group at 100 that I will estimate to be around 1.25". No I didnt go check, they were some random range targets and it was heavily raining, and it was just some Federal XM80 and Winchester 147 grain FMJ. Needless to say I was not concerned with group size.

All in all I am happy thus far. Plan on loading up some cartridges wth Lapua brass, IMR 4895, CCI primers and Sierra 155 TMKs.

Shout out to Natureboy, hope you get yours in soon!

"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
-By a very inteligent person (not me)
Old August 29, 2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Gordon

What kind of scope is it? Those mounts are way too high for that system FWIW.
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:33 PM   #3
P.B.Walsh

SWFA classic 10x42
Harris swivel 6-9" bipod
Eagle Ingustries stock pack
T.A.B. sling
"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
Old August 29, 2015, 09:06 PM   #4
USSR

Agree with Gordon, MUCH too high of scope mounts. Get yourself a picatinny rail and a set of tactical rings (TPS, Badger, etc.). Here is my SPR:

Don

.45 caliber, because shooting something more than once is just plain silly!
Old August 29, 2015, 10:13 PM   #5
jobu07
Contributing Member

If the rig, as pictured, works for P.B. Walsh maybe it's not too high?

Then again, for your average user it's probably too high.

"If I die, it ain't gonna be for a lack of shootin' back!"
Old August 30, 2015, 12:35 AM   #6
P.B.Walsh

There is alot of material under that cheek pad... I might trade it out for some low rings if it does start to bother me to much. It looks.... amateur.....
Old August 30, 2015, 12:50 AM   #7
Gordon

If you got the trigger adjusted down to 3 lbs or less you have a nice set up if you get lower scope mounts for the rail and you might consider the 2 piece pic rings suggested with the front scope ring about 3/8" or so off the barrel. Remember to leave enough room between barrel and a 50mm objective if you later decide to move that way. That fixed Super Sniper 10x power is a real good compromise IMHO and I used a similar rig on an AR-50 before I found out there was anything better. I like your rig , my precision rifles are Remington but I love my old Winchester target rifles too. Yes I realize that FN is a very nice modern precision rifle. Lower the comb and go to beefy 2 piece medium rings.
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old August 30, 2015, 01:01 AM   #8
dubbleA

Thinking you'll be better off in the long run getting some appropiate height rings instead of the AR mount.

My SPR wears a Leupold MK IV in Badger .885's and the height is just right for me.

Old August 30, 2015, 06:01 AM   #9
DRYHUMOR

I have the Near Mfg rail and Farrell rings on mine. Lots of options out there, use what works best for you....

Old August 30, 2015, 07:11 AM   #10
Tophernj

Beautiful rifle. If you're shooting 1.25" at 100 it's you, not the rifle apparently. (Not a slam at all, I suck at any kind of distance more than most) They are supposedly great, accurate shooting rifles. Good luck with it.

Does anyone know who makes the stock for this rifle?

C
Old August 30, 2015, 08:49 AM   #11
dubbleA

The SPR series come with Mc Millan stocks. The A1 version such as the OP's uses a A3 version while others use the A4 and A5. As far as I know all of them come with a Near 20moa rail from the factory.
Old August 30, 2015, 10:01 AM   #12
P.B.Walsh

While some may be NEAR bases, mine has a Badger Ordinance stamp.
Old August 30, 2015, 10:11 AM   #13
Walkalong

If you shoot prone that set up will be difficult to use. Off of a bench it could be OK, but it looks like it would be tough to get a good cheek weld. If it works for you, great.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old August 30, 2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Tophernj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbleA View Post
The SPR series come with Mc Millan stocks. The A1 version such as the OP's uses a A3 version while others use the A4 and A5. As far as I know all of them come with a Near 20moa rail from the factory.
Thank you!

C
Old August 30, 2015, 08:49 PM   #15
USSR

Quote:
If you're shooting 1.25" at 100 it's you, not the rifle apparently.
I'd be more inclined to say it's this: "...it was just some Federal XM80 and Winchester 147 grain FMJ.". You will never get good accuracy with the M80 bullets.

Don

.45 caliber, because shooting something more than once is just plain silly!
Old August 30, 2015, 09:29 PM   #16
P.B.Walsh

No they rounds were for giggles and initial sight in. Hope to be reloading for this rifle by December.

This is going to be my starting load:

Lapua case
CCI #200 primer
IMR 4895 (start at 42 grains and work up, looking for a good compromise between velocity and accuracy)
Sierra 155 TMK
Old August 30, 2015, 09:31 PM   #17
Nature Boy

Awesome PB,

Mine should be here soon
Old August 31, 2015, 08:37 PM   #18
barnbwt

Sierra Matchking 168gr's seem to be the boringly-exceptional gold standard for all 308's (same 42gr of 4895 and an SMK load is most accurate in all my 308's --keeps things simple )

TCB
This post may contain technical firearms information classifiable as 'defense articles' under ITAR. If this data is determined to be export controlled, it may not be transmitted, disclosed, or published to any non US person, whether within US borders or without. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure this information can be legally shared.
Old August 31, 2015, 08:38 PM   #19
P.B.Walsh

UPDATE:

Traded into some NF ultralight lows (.885).

Now gotta sell the Mk2 unimount.
Old September 1, 2015, 10:09 AM   #20
Nature Boy

Walkalong,

I have a SPR A3 on order and was looking at your picture above. I also plan to put the Atlas bipod on mine and was wondering how you've attached yours. Can you give me more details?
Old September 1, 2015, 10:18 PM   #21
Walkalong

It has two threaded places for studs. I used a short rail, and drilled a second hole in the rail where I needed it to mount it using both threaded holes and attached the bipod to the rail. Much sturdier than attaching a Harris to a stud. I don't remember which rail, but I might be able to go back and figure it out.

Old September 1, 2015, 10:33 PM   #22
Walkalong

Just took some pics. Cut it, drilled it, painted it on that end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN SPR Rail For Bipod Pic 1.jpg (88.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg FN SPR Rail For Bipod Pic 2.jpg (83.5 KB, 10 views)

Old September 2, 2015, 04:03 PM   #23
Nature Boy

That's perfect. That you sir!