Quantcast
Remington 788: .243 or .308? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 21, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1
HueyThump

Remington 788: .243 or .308?

Looking to buy a 788 for use on deer/antelope/CXP2 type game. Aside from the obvious difference in bullet diameter, I was wondering if there was any experience out there with either of these calibers in this particular rifle. Suggestions are welcome, but I'd like to stick with info relating to the rifle's accuracy/reliability and bullet effectiveness for said game. Thanks!
Old July 21, 2014, 07:38 PM   #2
JShirley
Administrator

Either are fine for your intended purpose, though .308 may be on the heavy side for antelope.
Old July 21, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Vern Humphrey

If you're mostly hunting antelope, I'd go with the .243. It's also an excellent long range varmint cartridge with light bullets. The .308, on the other hand, would be better if you foresee hunnting elk as well.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:33 PM   #4
jmr40

I like both, but see the 308 as much more versatile. For deer down the 243 may well be the better choice. But the 308 can certainly be used on smaller stuff and it is a much better choice on game larger than deer.

Can't help with the rifle.
Old July 21, 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
sappyg

NC deer aren't any tougher to kill than SC deer. The 243 would be fine. I use a 308 also but honestly I load down to a little more than 30-30 levels.

I'm sure the 788 would do well. I would prefer a carbine length in Western NC and a standard (22") barrel in the East. I've seen this rifle configured both ways Even though either would be fine.

What does CPX2 mean?
Old July 21, 2014, 09:41 PM   #6
splithoof

I have a 788 in .308; it is very accurate, and with it many game animals from ground squirrels to large deer have been easily taken. In a pinch, even military style FMJ ammunition can be used. Reloading is simple, and the bullet selection is huge. I had the chance to buy one in .243, but am glad I stuck with the .308.
Old July 21, 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Lj1941

Don't rule out the 7MM08 in 788. It will be closer to the 308 but a little flatter shooting with quite a few options for a reloader.I have never regreted buying mine when the caliber was introduced with factory chambering in the early 80s.Like most 788s it is a tack driver.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old July 21, 2014, 11:23 PM   #8
HueyThump

I wondered the same thing when I read magazines talking about CXP2 or CXP3 game. Check out the link: http://www.chuckhawks.com/cxp.htm
Old July 21, 2014, 11:27 PM   #9
HueyThump

7mm-08 is a cartridge I want to add to the collection. I've been considering other rifles in 7-08, primarily the Ruger American compact. I figured with the shorter overall length, it'd be a great stand/stalk rifle and I'm not losing much in the way of external or terminal ballistics with the 18in bbl instead of the 22in bbl.
Old July 21, 2014, 11:46 PM   #10
Jackal

While .243 would be ideal for deer, the .308 is a lot more versatile, will do the same things and ammunition is actually less expensive.
Old July 22, 2014, 01:29 AM   #11
HueyThump

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll go the 308 route for this rifle. Now that I'm halfway to my decision, I'm going to start a new thread.
Old July 22, 2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Steel Horse Rider

The 788 in 6mm Remington is hard to beat for the application you stated and it is extremely accurate too.

Tags
.243, .308, remington 788