Quantcast
VZ.58 Club: - Page 30 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #726
SsevenN

I haven't been around in a while, but I did manage to grab a second vz 58 and have begun modifying my first one.

Pic of the progress thus far.

Last edited by SsevenN; February 2, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:04 PM   #727
ToraBoraBlues

Pretty sweet. Got a century from JG Sales, I'd read the bad stuff about century but figured it was worth a chance and it's worked great.

I liked it so much I got a parts kit from Apex and think I'll get a receiver from Ohio Rapid Fire. Need to look into 922r parts for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ 3.jpg (108.1 KB, 25 views)
Old February 2, 2013, 09:03 PM   #728
barnbwt

I finally got a chance to shoot my VZ58 again--liking it more and more. Just wish I got to shoot more often. I finally found a stance I find comfortable for sighting off the folding stock; lawn chair, one leg crossed over the other knee, and bracing my weak elbow (with sling) off the crossed-leg knee. A bit of a contortionist act, but it did a great job of keeping me on target without wearing out my arms after a few mags. Recoil was negligible as always compared to my WWI/II bolt action rifles . I finally figured out how to get AK/SKS stripper clips to half-work in my receiver; they're faster than single loading, but not by much.

PD2BP253, how reliable are those drums? I have one, and judging by the amount of cosmolene inside it, I have a theory on my constant jams (not sure why it should be there, since they're modded from AK mags that one would think were cleaned before welding ), but I don't know the baseline of quality I should be expecting

Unlike most of my other guns, I can't find hardly anything I'd like to mod or change on the gun. I had initial plans for the gun, but use is demonstrating a striking lack of need for changes . The black plastic stocks are ugly, but functional, and the only issues are 1) heat on the foregrip (more or less unfixable without a VFG) and 2) my folding stock is about 1" too short to fit around the drum (I'll stretch it out a bit when I get access to a welder )

I could see about replacing the stocks or plastic trigger parts, but only for cosmetic reasons; they function fine!

TCB
-Col. Hunter Gathers, Office of Secret Intelligence
Old February 2, 2013, 09:59 PM   #729
PD2BP253

The drums seem to be really high quality, they feed fine, but my VZ is pretty much 99%, I would say 100% but one of my CzechPoint 30rd mags had one (1) FTF on its maiden voyage to the range, that really concerned me.. As far as the cosmolene, I think its just there as a preservative to keep em' from rusting or something, I don't really know why they are caked, but mine came the same way..... I pretty much love the VZ-58, my expertise is with AR platform rifles, but my "GO TO" is my VZ, even more so than my AK which is 100%...
Old February 5, 2013, 06:51 PM   #730
V.Oller

I fired a buddy of mine's Vz and fell in love with it. I now have a partial kit and a VERY nice receiver I got from Assault Weapons of Ohio, but as stated, I'm missing several parts, mostly the small receiver parts.

Any idea where I can get those?
www.OmegaTactical.com
Old February 5, 2013, 09:22 PM   #731
68wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Oller View Post
Any idea where I can get those?
Check with Czechpoint, Bonesteel Arms, and CNC Warrior. There are build kits floating around too (check gun broker)

To ≠ Too ≠ Two, There ≠ Their ≠ They're, ...
Old February 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #732
68wj

Thought this needed to go here since I never realized it wasn't an AK until today.

Name that movie :

Old February 5, 2013, 10:13 PM   #733
barnbwt

Good point--I'll bet most (if not all) of the AKs I've seen in Canadian movies are, in fact, VZ58s. I'll keep my eyes peeled-er in the future

TCB
Old February 6, 2013, 01:50 AM   #734
kyron4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68wj View Post
Thought this needed to go here since I never realized it wasn't an AK until today.

Name that movie :
"Full Metal Jacket" , last 30 mins. of movie.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:55 AM   #735
navajo

movie/ tv

If any one is interested..... the cable series Strike Back, eoisodes 7,8 and 9, the good guys are using 58s exclusively. Railed hand guards, optics, suppressed and plain vanilla.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:45 AM   #736
coalbed

back

Hey everyone finally got my computer back up and running. I lost some of my pictures in the meltdown, but I think I have enough left to show the basics of the bolt and mag release build.(If I can get them off photobucket)
Old February 7, 2013, 02:20 AM   #737
coalbed

Make a vz 58 extended mag and bolt release with simple tools

Hey all, thought you might be interested in my project to make an extended bolt release and an extended mag release for my vz2000 tac. I followed the general lines of the commercial ones and modded it to meet my needs. The mag release I kept close to the trigger guard so as not to hang it inadvertently, it sticks out about 1/8 ", just enough to drop a mag quick with gloves on. The basis for the build was that the commercial ones are very expensive due to using all hardened steels in them requiring expensive tools to make them. I bet that as long as the "capture pin" part of the bolt release was hardened (or the original one) that the rest could be made of mild steel and worked with a 110v wire welder, a hacksaw, and a set of good files and stones. 1st) I found some mild steel stock scrap from a local recycler. 2nd) I cut the parts into the basic shapes with the hacksaw. (I needed 3 separate pieces for the bolt release due to limitations on what I could form without a mill.) 3) I welded each piece together (after a tack and alignment), cleaning up the weld and forming as I went with the files. 4) the mag release was a simple add on that only required a squarish piece formed and welded onto the original. (I had trouble keeping this small piece in alignment so I drilled a small hole through all and bolted it together. After welding it I removed the bolt and welded up the hole). 5) all parts were final fitted and smoothed and stoned/sanded. 6) I gave a mild heat treat to the bolt release.(only the parts I added not the original part I wrapped a small wet cloth over this). 7) I gave both parts several coats of cold blue, then I painted them with a semi flat textured epoxy paint ( Its some kind of super paint the owner of the welder had that's used on headers and wheels). I put it all on and tested to see if it would hold up. It works flawlessly, and although I bent my bolt release some during my stress test (hitting it with a 2x4), it did not break, and I simply took some channel locks and 2 pennies and bent it back in place. That's about it, if you are even a little bit handy I think anyone can build these in a day or two. Did I make mistakes? yes, for one, take better measurements than I did. I should have broke out the dial calipers on the bolt release, mine is a bit too far from the receiver and a bit lower than I wanted. But all in all I'm very happy with the results and both parts work great! This is a super fast mag change with these parts. *P.S.* After studying this a bit, I think that a simple, half round, bolt release would have been better than the lever shape and more sturdy. If I ever make another, Ill use a slice of rod stock cut in half for the part the finger touches. ill attempt to post the pictures in order on my next post. **Oh yea forgot the stupid disclaimer; "This post and the pictures that follow are for informational purposes only. Under no circumstance should you ever pick up a tool, or a firearm, or leave your house for any reason. All this information should be read by a licensed gunsmith, and he should say whether you can read it or not, even then if you develop a headache, have a seizure, or your eyes hurt, stop looking at it, and seek medical advice at once. The author takes no responsibility for the usability or suitability or safety of the products described in this post. The author is hereby released from all liability, for every hazard known, from the Biblical flood, to a splinter in your pinky finger."

Last edited by coalbed; February 10, 2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: stupid disclaimer
Old February 7, 2013, 02:29 AM   #738
coalbed

Pictures of extended bolt release and mag release

Here they are.... see next post...
Old February 7, 2013, 02:33 AM   #739
coalbed

pictures continued

more pics.... .......Sorry pictures 8 and 9 are numbered backwards. just reverse them.

Last edited by coalbed; February 7, 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:36 AM   #740
coalbed

one more page :P

notice the use of steel wool to prevent weld spatter from getting on "catch pin". More pics... Sorry for the long post but several have asked for the pics of this project. I hope you like them.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:33 PM   #741
Maverick223

Glad you were able to get back up and running, coalbed. Thank you for all the photos and more detailed description, I think I'll take up this project when I find the time.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:50 AM   #742
PD2BP253

CoalBed, thats pretty damn awesome work!!!! I was able to get my hands on a NEA tactical bolt release, its pretty cool, I actually like it a lot. For the magazine release, I have a Dlask Arms extended version, I really like it, I'm a lefty so the extended version works great for me... Have you thought about selling any of your bolt releases?

Also, have you ever toyed with the idea of fabricating a railed top cover? I know there are a couple of good ones available, one from Zahal and another from GunXpert, but both are very pricey... What are you thoughts?
Old February 9, 2013, 11:03 AM   #743
sizzle

Vz-58 magnetic scopemount

Hey Guys

I would like to get your thoughts on this Magnetic Scopemount from CIA.
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=OT1569
Does anyone have experience with this mount? I know its magnetic but it is $200 cheaper than the one that clamps down
Old February 9, 2013, 11:49 AM   #744
coalbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD2BP253 View Post
CoalBed, thats pretty damn awesome work!!!! I was able to get my hands on a NEA tactical bolt release, its pretty cool, I actually like it a lot. For the magazine release, I have a Dlask Arms extended version, I really like it, I'm a lefty so the extended version works great for me... Have you thought about selling any of your bolt releases?

Also, have you ever toyed with the idea of fabricating a railed top cover? I know there are a couple of good ones available, one from Zahal and another from GunXpert, but both are very pricey... What are you thoughts?
Thanks for the complements Actually my son and I were thinking about making a similar one from scratch (not using a factory one for the base) and using some hardened rod stock for the "catch pin" (I keep calling it that because I don't know the correct name for it ), I also wanted to use a half round piece instead of the lever. Who knows? if it works out well, I may make some for people who want one. As far as a rail cover goes I hadn't thought about it, but now you have got me curious. Ill look at it and see what it will take to do one.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:33 PM   #745
Maverick223

sizzle, I haven't seen it before but assuming that it utilizes large Neodymium or Samarium–Cobalt (preferred due to high temperature resistance) rare earth magnets then I would think it would perform well and make installation and removal quite a bit simpler. In short, I like the design IF the above conditions are met.

Old February 9, 2013, 01:55 PM   #746
barnbwt

Wait, what keeps the mount from sliding around? Either from the dust cover jiggling, or from the mount itself shifting under recoil/handling. Unless it's wedged against something in some way.

Neat idea, though, glad they're trying. The only other option was that Czech link Bohemus had a while back, but that was like 200$ or so

TCB
Old February 9, 2013, 02:18 PM   #747
68wj

Nice work coalbed. Here is my attempt at an extended mag release. The fit was great but attempt to bond the coin to the factory release has been reliable enough. I cleaned and roughed the coin and release, and GunKoted (service brown) the coin. Love the way it looked but a failure thus far.

You are seeing the front/mag side of the release. The coin sticks out just enough to increase usability and the rounded shape was comfortable.

Old February 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #748
PD2BP253

Coalbed, let me know what you guys decide!!! I'd love to see what you guys come up with, I do all gunsmithing, but I don't weld or paint... YET... I'm really interested
Old February 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #749
Maverick223

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbwt
Wait, what keeps the mount from sliding around? Either from the dust cover jiggling, or from the mount itself shifting under recoil/handling. Unless it's wedged against something in some way.
Perhaps I am incorrect, but it appears to replace the stock dust cover (using the OEM captured take-down pin) and attach via magnets on the side rails (which are just to keep it from shifting POA), which should make for a secure and repeatable mount.

Old February 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #750
coalbed

coin

That Czech coin is cool. that would look good recessed into a wood stock.