Quantcast
old double barrel questions - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 24, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
firemanstrickland

old double barrel questions

hello all,
I need some info on an old double barrel and I have very limited information on it. All I know is its a Belgium 1892 Peiper arms company double barrel and I only have this one pic. Can anyone tell me anything about it? maybe possible values as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10715780_1492527054336334_2041154475_n.jpg (97.6 KB, 56 views)
Old September 24, 2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Jim K

Pieper made some of the better guns to come out of Belgium but I would consider that one a wall hanger. It looks to have Damascus barrels, and IMHO that eliminates it from shooting.

I have heard personally and have seen on the net statements to the effect that not only were Damascus guns safe with black powder, but that the barrels are stronger than modern steel barrels. I can only disagree, very strongly. I consider all Damascus, twist, laminate, or any built-up barrels as unsafe to fire. Period.

Jim
Old September 24, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
firemanstrickland

so is it a cartridge gun? or muzzle loader? it looks like it has nipples for caps but I honestly have no clue
Old September 24, 2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Jim K

It is a cartridge gun, but without more and better pictures or information, I can't tell what gauge it is. The original proof marks, with the gauge and chamber length should be on the bottom of the barrels and can be seen when the barrels are removed.

Jim
Old September 24, 2014, 10:32 PM   #5
zimmerstutzen

I agree with Jim K about safety if it is indeed a damascas barrel. Belgian makers did use damascas barrels, but usually used drawn barrels and sometimes had a fake finish to look like damascas. Even back in the 1960's all the hunter safety instructors warned folks not to shoot high brass in a damascas or twist barrel.

I remember seeing a damascas barrel that had ruptured and looked like a frayed rope where it separated.
Old September 24, 2014, 11:18 PM   #6
firemanstrickland

ok, thanks for the info, I will post more info and pics as I get them.
Old September 24, 2014, 11:37 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Quote:
Even back in the 1960's all the hunter safety instructors warned folks not to shoot high brass in a damascas or twist barrel.
I was a Hunter Safety Instructor in the 70's.

And High-Brass has nothing to do with it.

Shotgun pressure is about the same, whether low brass or high brass.
Low-Brass HV trap loads may produce just as much chamber pressure as 2 3/4" Magnums.

They use faster burning powder then heavy high-brass loads, and peak chamber pressure can easily be as much as the heaviest Magnum load.

Personally, I have known three people locally who lost fingers on their left hand when Damascus barrels let go right over where they had their hand holding the forearm.
One of them lost an eye.

I would not shoot smokeless powder loads in one on a bet!

rc
Old September 25, 2014, 07:32 AM   #8
zimmerstutzen

Re. Sounds logical just repeating what the PA hunter safety instructors drilled into us. My father worked for the game commission and taught the instructors. He has a collection of firearm failures that he used back then for demonstration of what could happen. Some scary stuff on the wall in his study.
Old September 25, 2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Crawdad1

Here's some good information on the Pieper family of gunmakers of Belgium.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge...ies%20gb.htm#P

Looks like a replacement hammer, and the throw looks incorrect, the locks are missing pins or screws, I don't even know what's going with the wood behind the lock, but all in all the gun looks pretty well worn out.
Old September 25, 2014, 10:47 AM   #10
firemanstrickland

yeah, like I said I haven't even got my hands on it but I am really shying away from it. He only wants $50 bucks for it, that's my problem lol
Old September 25, 2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Curator

From the looks of the picture, the left hammer has been replaced with a true percussion hammer. not the correct breech-loading hammer. No way this hammer could strike the firing pin. Parts for these guns are nearly non-existent.
Old September 25, 2014, 01:20 PM   #12
col.lemat

Offer $25 then get $50 at a buy back
Old September 25, 2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Crawdad1

Quote:
He only wants $50 bucks for it, that's my problem lol
Its not even worth that. I wouldn't take it even if he handed it to me, it's nothing but trouble.
Old September 26, 2014, 02:20 AM   #14
totallyeftup

10 grains and a grease patch

I will try 10 grains with a paper barrel, we are talking about 3 firecrackers of pressure. Just keep your hands away from the barrel, or shoot it like these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4XVo8
Old September 26, 2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Crawdad1

Quote:
I will try 10 grains with a paper barrel, we are talking about 3 firecrackers of pressure. Just keep your hands away from the barrel, or shoot it like these guys
What?????
Old September 26, 2014, 09:56 AM   #16
the Black Spot

It would take some tinkering to get the hammer to hit the firing pin. Then it would be a handload only propisition with a small load of 2f blackpowder, assuming it locked up well.

If he threw in the gun case and cat it would be a good deal!
Old September 26, 2014, 08:08 PM   #17
Jim K

FWIW, the problem with smokeless powder in Damascus barrels is not so much the chamber pressure, but the burning curve. Smokeless powder burns slower than black powder ("progressive burning") and maintains pressure further out in the barrel. Because BP pressure drops off quickly, most BP barrels thin down just before the end of the forearm, allowing the gun to be lighter at the front end and with more "whip" as the old timers used to say.

So smokeless powder pressures are still high at the point the barrels become thin, which is just where the shooter's off hand is usually placed. When the barrel lets go, it usually takes a couple of fingers along for the ride.

Add that to the fact that no matter how strong a Damascus barrel might have been when it was new (those who claim there is no danger always cite the fact that the barrels passed proof), years of corrosion eating into the welds will have weakened the barrels. I have sectioned a few old Damascus guns and found the interiors to be like dirty lace, in spite of nice exteriors and bores that looked clean and shiny.

Jim