Quantcast
can't draw water up barrel - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 15, 2014, 06:17 PM   #1
coondogger

can't draw water up barrel

I let my Hawken rifle go a little too long between cleanings. I stuck the barrel,
breach down, in a bucket of steaming, soapy water. But when I tried to draw water up into the barrel through the nipple, nothing was happening. I suspect the inside of the nipple is blocked; perhaps corroded. Any thoughts as to how I should proceed?
Old September 15, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2
AJumbo

First things first- BE DANG SURE THE RIFLE IS UNLOADED. If so, then pull the nipple; this may involve on overnight soak with Kroil, Break-Free, or some other penetrant. Inspect the nipple. If it's not blocked, then the flash channel may be. For that matter, the barrel may be blocked (see step one.)

Let us know how it goes!
Old September 15, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
coondogger

My next step is to get my mitts on a nipple wrench and pull the thing. If that's clear, then try to ream out the flash channel. I'll let you know what I find.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:15 PM   #4
dprice3844444

try an air pressure
Old September 15, 2014, 10:32 PM   #5
J-Bar

If you don't already have a nipple wrench, and If you haven't ever removed the nipple, it's time.
Old September 15, 2014, 10:39 PM   #6
dickydalton

What J-Bar said
Old September 15, 2014, 10:57 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Cleaning rod down the barrel first to make sure it isn't loaded.

Then a wire nipple pick to open the hole.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/popup_image.php?pID=7649

rc
Old September 15, 2014, 10:57 PM   #8
4v50 Gary

Nipple pick. Try poking it clear.
Old September 16, 2014, 07:49 AM   #9
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
You might try one of those co2 cartridge thingamabobs...instantaneous 900 psi pressure source to dislodge a stuck ball or clear a blocked nipple/flash channel.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old September 16, 2014, 01:35 PM   #10
coondogger

Here's an update. Pulled the old nipple and it was completely occluded. I picked it out with a paper clip, then blew it out with compressed air. I also picked up another nipple, but didn't look carefully at the package; it's for an inline muzzle loader, so I have to exchange it for a Hawken type nipple.
Old September 16, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Gemmer

Hope you went ahead and flushed the barrel with water with the nipple out. All clean and dried out,you can put the old nipple back on and be good to go.
Old September 16, 2014, 11:25 PM   #12
AJumbo

I like to use anti-seize grease on the nipple threads so i can pull the nipple without too much trouble later. If you find a replacement nipple, find two more, and buy 'em all.
Old September 16, 2014, 11:43 PM   #13
Pancho

Location: Southwestern, Ohio out in the country about 40 miles from cincinnati
Go to Track of the Wolf they have a very easy to read online catalog that should determine the nipple needed for your rifle. The tail that wags the dog is the thread pitch. If your rifle was made by Thompson center it is a no brainer and is 1/4-28, 1/4 diameter and 28 threads per inch. If it was made by the italians there will be multiple choices and I'd take the time to call the guys at TOW they are very helpful.
In the past I'd offer that you change your #10 or #11 nipple for a much larger Musket cap conversion. I mention the past because musket caps were easier to buy back in the"Good old days" not so readily available now a days.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #14
Kynoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
I let my Hawken rifle go a little too long between cleanings. I stuck the barrel, breach down, in a bucket of steaming, soapy water. But when I tried to draw water up into the barrel through the nipple, nothing was happening. I suspect the inside of the nipple is blocked; perhaps corroded. Any thoughts as to how I should proceed?
I thought BP firearms had to be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each use?
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #15
4v50 Gary

they do (have to be cleaned after each range session)
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #16
g.willikers

I always removed the nipple before cleaning with the water pump method.
Besides making it easier to pump the water, it required the nipple to be taken out and re-lubed each time.
No more stuck nipples.
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #17
Kynoch

Starting with the nipple in place and then removing it at say the first cleaning patch change is a good way to clean the nipple itself.