Quantcast
Indian muskets - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 17, 2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Bobbaker

Indian muskets

Take this for what it's worth to you
But I import Indian made fund into the UK now to make them legal I have to have them proofed in the government proof house.
I send all types muskets carbines pistols matchlocks flintlocks and percussion
So far 100% pass on failures yes I have to work on them sometimes the worst thing I have to do is sort the breach plug and drill the vent hole the bendy hole tends to be in the middle of the plug so drill and counter. Ore the plug a bit and all is fine.
Now my opinion they are poorly made and you have to work on them to make them work
But for the price they are fine for re-enacting there are thousands of these weapons here in the UK they have all been proofed and as far as I know no one has been killed or hurt as a result of using them.
Yes I agree there is always someone who knows someone who has a friend who was there when one blew up but I've yet to meet him.
Hope this helps Bob
Old July 17, 2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Bobbaker

Indian guns

That should read Indian made guns not. Funds
Old July 17, 2015, 05:14 PM   #3
RON in PA

Not at all surprised, the barrels are stainless steel hydraulic pipes in origin. I have a Long Land Brown Bess that goes bang whenever the trigger is pulled and the flint is sharp. Not the greatest quality, heavy trigger pull, but for the money I can't complain.

Proud TFL alumnus

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old July 17, 2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Loyalist Dave

Quote:
the barrels are stainless steel hydraulic pipes in origin
All of my India origin barrels will rust if not properly tended.... and I got all of my guns from what may be the top importer in North America...not stainless at all.

LD
Old July 18, 2015, 09:35 AM   #5
4v50 Gary

Fine for re-enactors, not for competitors.
Old July 21, 2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Loyalist Dave

I wonder about the smooth bore flinters if that's true or not.....

LD
Old July 21, 2015, 03:59 PM   #7
xXxplosive

No Thanks..............
Old July 21, 2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Bobbaker

Steel barrels on Indian made arms

Your right about the Indian made barrels being in the main produced from hydraulic lines a lot of these come from the oil tankers being broken up over there.
They make good barrels but there methods don't lend themselves to using them for anything else other than blank firing most of them are not true and the breach end has a lot bigger internal diameter than the muzzel end making it impossible to rifle, as for shooting shot I don't have any experience.
For the price and to produce a bang there fine but if you want to fill the pot, and you had one of these you would properly starve.
By the way their not stainless just highly polished and look crome like when they arrive form India.
Old July 22, 2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Loyalist Dave

Quote:
but if you want to fill the pot, and you had one of these you would properly starve.
Why?

LD
Old July 22, 2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Bobbaker

Shot or ball

I was thinking ball when I typed the above as the barrels are not very straight and the bore varies along its length.
But I guess buck shot would be ok but never tried to so can't say.
Old July 23, 2015, 06:51 AM   #11
zimmerstutzen

What I find interesting is that no one ever mentions the makers of these "accidents waiting to happen" Val Forget sold Indian made double barrel shotguns. 40 years ago. Not the best but certainly game getters, and better quality than some of the Spanish junk Dixie was selling then
Everyone who makes these general remarks always fails to identify the makers they are referring to. I have had 5 or 6 indian made black powder pistols. Some with Indian Got proofs. Never had a problem. I have purchased parts from Sikligar directly to replace missing parts on repros. From other countries and was always satisfied with the parts.
Might I suggest that folks who complain about stuff from India at least identify the maker. It is stamped on the barrel for all to see.
Old July 23, 2015, 10:01 AM   #12
Erwan

Well, that's just an info and everybody can his idea or feeling keep to oneself, I'm just talking about for the simple reason that I don't have any indian arm...
Since two years or a little more now a guy in my club is a Brown Bess shooting without any problem.
He have the hole perforated at the light hole usually closed by the plug brass, gave it for the proof to the official proof tests organism: the gun is certified like good..
This guy's now shooting in MLAIC (in 701R 50m)...

I don't like much Indian guns but they seem almost good with a bit working on for the reliability of the flintlock system...

Regards.