Quantcast
S horties - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 16, 2016, 09:28 PM   #1
ZVP

S horties

I've been giving a lot of thought into short barreled revolvers and why I prefer them.many original guns had barrel lengths to near 9" mostly due to black powder needingem length to burn completely secondly for a better sight span.
However with today's. Better and more consistent powers you can expect consistently good preformance from shorter barrels.with the shorter tubest you gain better handling and quicker time time target the revolvers
Jn particular, I am thinking of my 5.5 inch 1858 Remington, an excellent revolver right out of the box! It handles full charges down to light 13 great charges with great Results!
Accuracy is great and so ease of handling. I shoot two handed,cocking with my left thumb thus maintaining a consistentntental hold.
I also love my 5 1/2" Piettiaa Police model, another well ba)ancestors, great preformed.
Such thought aided my choice of my 4 5/8" .357 New Vaquero and a desire to convert my Single Six times a 4 5/8" barrel
The handling feels perfectly naturally in my hand!
I am thankful to own these short barreled revolvers
Thi s even carried over to my choice of a S&Wednesday model 10H
I own several full length Navys and full length '58 Rremmie. Good shooters but t [ long and unwieldy feeling
What are you folks preferences?
Dave
Old June 16, 2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Cooldill

Well when I do this stuff, I do it for history.

So, I use the original sized guns. But if you're not too worried about that, no reason the shorter ones won't serve you well. They do look pretty cool (at least some of them).
Old June 16, 2016, 11:09 PM   #3
Jim K

OK for metallic cartridge guns but one problem with a short barrel percussion revolver is that the rammer is so short excessive force is required to use it. (I think I still have the marks in my hands from the last time I loaded my Navy Arms "Sheriff" 1851 copy.) Not a problem of course with a separate loader and some short barrel revolver have those.

Jim
Old June 16, 2016, 11:16 PM   #4
rodwha

Much like you I prefer a shorter barrel to the originals. However as a primary hunting sidearm, such as my 7.5" ROA, I would prefer the longer barrel for both the sigh radius and improved powder burn and velocity.

I didn't become interested in BP arms because of the history but did become interested in the history afterwards. I see it nice to have an accurate reproduction, but also see the advantage of a more handy length.

I've also considered the short loading lever issue and figure if I ever have one I'd make a cheater to give it leverage.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old June 17, 2016, 03:59 PM   #5
webrx

I like both, but do have a bit of fondness for the little 1851 snubnose made from a pietta .44 cal brasser. From a historical perspective, short barreled revolvers were used, or at least a few were cut off, specifically the "mormon avenger" from what I have read - I do not claim to be a historian by any stretch, and I realize that just because it is on the web does not make it true, but I did read it on the web

Now, for me, this one was a .44 1851 with a brass frame, so it never really existed anyway, why not make a shortie

And it is fun to shoot with 20 grains of 777 fffg!

Old June 17, 2016, 06:49 PM   #6
ZVP

Not historically correct but boy do they feel good in the hand!
Like I said I have both sizes but prefer the Shorties.
Thanks All!
Dave