Quantcast
bp rifle season - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 20, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1
ldlfh7

bp rifle season

I am considering getting a bp rifle for this year's alternative black powder season. I am not looking to invest a lot of money but want something that will be ok for OCCASIONAL shooting. My wal-mart has a cva wolf for $160. Is this ok for a few shots a year? I hunt in areas where I will never shoot over 50 yards.
Option 2: I have a NEF single barrel shotgun I can send to the factory and have a 50 cal bp barrel fit for about the same price.
What should I do?
Old November 20, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2
rodwha

I like functionality. Were it me I'd buy a barrel.

However I'm not certain you'll be ready to use it this year.

First off you'll have a lot of testing to do to find an accurate load. There's 2 and 3F powders of various makers, as well as sabots or patches and lubes, along with various projectiles.

And then you may also need to either break it in (mine took ~200 shots) or polish it to smooth the rifling.

I'm assuming the barrel you'd get for your rifle would be designed for use with sabots/conicals with the shallow rifling and faster twists.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old November 20, 2014, 11:38 PM   #3
birdshot8's

I bought a flint lock when I wanted to hunt the muzzle loader season. I really enjoy getting out with my Kentucky rifle, in fact I will not go out with a modern rifle this year.
And to answer your question that CVA Wolf rifle you are looking at is an excellent rifle/deal. I have the CVA Optima V-II, which is a super easy to use rifle for anyone wanting to extend their season.
Old November 21, 2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Loyalist Dave

I LOVE my flinter (but it's not a beginner's rifle), and the additional barrel on a Handi-rifle is also a good idea. The CVA price is also good. Sorry that doesn't narrow down your options.... IF you have, as pointed out, the time to go to the range and develope a good load will be the key

ONE thing though, most inline rifles MUST have a scope to be even moderately accurate. I have a CVA inline (the model name escapes me at the moment) and it, like so many others, came from the factory with big honkin' iron sights with dots.... So unless the deer is around 30 yards from you when you shoot, the sights are so crude it's pretty hard to place your shot at anything at 50 yards and beyond...but with a scope the inlines, even the low cost ones, shoot very well with the proper load.

So figure about another $100 for a scope plus rings if you don't have one already you can use on that inline.

LD
Old November 21, 2014, 11:17 AM   #5
ldlfh7

I found a deal online from a local private party selling a CVA Wolf, 100 powder discs, 100 sabots, all cleaning supplies, 100 #209 primers and a scope already mounted for $200.
This sounds pretty good no?
Old November 21, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6
birdshot8's

You would need to win a raffle to do any better. Looks like you will be hunting the muzzleloader season.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #7
Zeke/PA

The CVA should do you well.
It's my guess that the twist rate is 1 in 48 which would accomadate both patched balls and conicals which I prefer for hunting.
My favorite hunting load in my .50 is 90 grains of FFg behind a home cast 370 grain Maxi-Ball.
Have Fun !