Quantcast
What could cause this damage to a nickel finish? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 03:57 PM   #1
valencia

What could cause this damage to a nickel finish?

I shot my new Rogers and Spencer London Grey finish (which is a nickel plate) BP for the first time this weekend. When I got home I put the cylinder in a cup of hot water with a little dish washing soap (the normal stuff for hand washing) for 30 minutes then cleaned it and rinsed it. When it was dry I found the plating was badly damaged. I am pretty sure it was badly plated but I would like your opinion on this as I am trying to get a replacement from the dealer as I cant see it being my fault!
The finish is pitted and rough in places (as viewed under 10X and 20X jewelers loupe) and judging from the shape and position of the spots it looks like it wasnt cleaned properly before plating the final layer - you have to put copper on steel first then nickel and if you dont clean properly you get problems!
They are saying it was either the detergent causing a reaction or residue from the gunpowder making a corrosive solution so its my fault (no replacement!). Sorry I just dont see that as possible.

Please let me know what you think!

Old Today, 04:53 PM   #2
White Walker

Hoppe's bore cleaner will remove Nicket finish.
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #3
DoubleDeuce 1

I agree with White Walker. But to me it also looks like the part was contaminated during the coating process. Dish washing soap even on steroids couldn't do that.
Old Today, 06:30 PM   #4
dogrunner

And Hoppe's will only attack nickle if the finished item is left in it for an extended period of time, ie: all night. Carried a nickled M/19 Smith for way over 20 years as a leo......cleaned that gun with Hoppe's when it was shot, NEVER had any problem with that finish. My take on Op's post is that the gun was improperly finished to begin with. Don't have any idea as to civil procedure in Spain, but if here I'd file in a small claims court and I bet I'd win.....One thing's for damned sure....soap and water DID NOT DO that damage!
Old Today, 06:55 PM   #5
noelf2

That looks like a splash pattern to me. Somehow something splashed on the gun in the finishing process. What I think? I think I wouldn't be giving them my business anymore.
Old Today, 08:32 PM   #6
Oldschool shooter

If dish soap did that, I would be afraid of what my insides looked like after eating off plates and using silverware washed with that stuff!