Quantcast
Interesting Little Gun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 22, 2016, 01:46 PM   #1
jmar

Interesting Little Gun

I saw this little gun on Gun Broker: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578032758

And i have a few questions about it, first of all what is it? It says it's a 1849 Wells Fargo but it doesn't look like any others iv'e seen.

Secondly assuming it is a Wells Fargo, it looks like it's had its forcing cone ground off to fit a longer cylinder. Is this the case? And have you guys ever seen this done before? It actually seems like a great way to get more power out of your gun. Last question, is the forcing cone actually important? Or is there any reason you shouldn't grind it down?
Old August 22, 2016, 02:16 PM   #2
dickydalton

That looks like something someone slapped together to make someone else believe that it's a valuable relic. That "system" stamped on the frame wasn't put there in the 1860s, I'd bet.

You will only miss liberty after you lose it.
Old August 22, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Révolver système Colt fabrication Belge

Belgian made Colt clone of the period. There are Belgian proof marks all over it.

Here is another example:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ion-belge.html

At some point in it's life it got a strap iron back strap & poorly fitted grips.
Old August 22, 2016, 03:20 PM   #4
desidog

Not a Wells Fargo, as it has a dovetail cut for the loading lever catch.... not sure that's a Colt at all. The barrel may be, but the frame isn't marked "Colt's Patent" and the grip angle is just wrong. It seems the back strap has seen some re-engineering too. Possibly a contemporary copy.
Old August 22, 2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Gordon

yup Belgian clone, the frame and cylinder shape are off from original.
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.