Quantcast
rogers and spencer? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 11, 2016, 11:32 PM   #1
todd haley

rogers and spencer?

Hi all,
I've got a chance to buy a Rogers and Spencer revolver,I think it's a Euroarms, For $150.00. I know nothing about a Rogers and Spencer,(or Euroarms) but the guy say's it appears unfired but looks like it has a few handling marks like a light drag line on the cylinder.
My question is, are these revolvers,(Euroarms) pretty good as far as quality,fit and finish or accuracy?Would these be really hard to find replacement parts for? Thanks for any info,
Todd
Old June 12, 2016, 01:01 AM   #2
Gaucho Gringo

I would jump on it at that price if it were in even decent shape. Most sell for double that and more. I paid double your sale price for mine. If you don't want it please give me the sellers info and I will buy it from him. They all have drag lines for some reason, at least all the ones I have looked at.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 3-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp, 44 Rogers&Spencer, 44 1860
Old June 12, 2016, 05:27 AM   #3
RON in PA

Use the search function, there are a number of posts on the R&S. One of the best cap and ball revolvers out there IMHO.
Old June 12, 2016, 06:52 AM   #4
todd haley

Thanks fellas! Gonna try to pick it up Monday,I'll post some pics when I bring it home.
Old June 12, 2016, 09:53 AM   #5
whughett

I paid 350 for my first one, over 400 for my second, it was un-fired NIB..
Just added a Howell 45C conversion cylinder to that one. It was a drop in, operates nice though I am still trying to find A load as accurate as the cap and ball 30 grain 3f, .454 ball.
Rambo III
Old June 12, 2016, 02:29 PM   #6
Cooldill

Like the Zouave rifles, the R&S weren't really used much during the ACW. Cool and sought after guns though!!
Old June 12, 2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Crawdad1

Every time I see Rogers & Spencer I think about that sports show about Marcus Dupree, "The best that never was."
Old June 12, 2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad1 View Post
Every time I see Rogers & Spencer I think about that sports show about Marcus Dupree, "The best that never was."
Now, it was "the best that ever was" because it did exist during the time period and was used after the ACW albeit in smaller numbers.
Old June 12, 2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Crawdad1

No question the Rogers & Spencer and Remington rule the roost in competition today especially the ones built by Feinwerkbau.

Here is an interesting discussion,

https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=17626
Old June 12, 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Blackpowdershooter44

$150? What a deal!!!
Old June 13, 2016, 10:10 PM   #11
todd haley

Well,picked up the rogers and spencer today!
The good- does appear to be unfired,has a nice matt finish and got it for 1/3rd less than asking price
The bad- The gun has been handled ALOT. the finish is worn at the muzzle end from holstering and trigger guard finish is worn but gives it a real nice look
The ugly- Hand spring is broken,( I'm sure from all the quickdraw action) and has a big drag mark on the cylinder,
All in all I'm happy to have it and as soon as I get hold of mike it will be on its way to get Goonerized!

Old June 14, 2016, 12:14 AM   #12
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd haley View Post
Well,picked up the rogers and spencer today!
The good- does appear to be unfired,has a nice matt finish and got it for 1/3rd less than asking price
The bad- The gun has been handled ALOT. the finish is worn at the muzzle end from holstering and trigger guard finish is worn but gives it a real nice look
The ugly- Hand spring is broken,( I'm sure from all the quickdraw action) and has a big drag mark on the cylinder,
All in all I'm happy to have it and as soon as I get hold of mike it will be on its way to get Goonerized!

Oh, LAWD HAVE MERCY CHALD!!! Looks great! I love the R&S!!
Old June 14, 2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Blackpowdershooter44

Quote:
The good- got it for 1/3rd less than asking price The bad-
The ugly-
For the fistful of dollars you paid for it, you did great! Great snag!
Old June 14, 2016, 09:59 PM   #14
45 Dragoon

Looks great!!! (Ya done gooood!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old June 15, 2016, 05:15 PM   #15
Gaucho Gringo

Do you happen to know the date it was made? Mine was made in the 70's and the frame has turned plum color.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 3-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp, 44 Rogers&Spencer, 44 1860
Old June 15, 2016, 06:03 PM   #16
58limited

Todd, You got an awesome deal!

To determine the date your R&S was made, go here: http://www.euroarms.net/ML/gvt.htm

Gaucho, I'd like to see a pic of your R&S, please post one on the R&S club page.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by 58limited; June 15, 2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old June 15, 2016, 10:49 PM   #17
todd haley

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the link but I can find no other markings besides two proof marks on the cyl and the "DGG"in a circle followed by 021 under the loading lever,where else to look?
Old June 16, 2016, 06:33 AM   #18
Malachi Leviticus Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd haley View Post
...where else to look?
Sometimes marks can be hidden under the grips, for aesthetics,

I'm looking at two Euroarms R&S's and both have their proofs and date code on the frame where I circled in RED on your pic here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R&S.JPG (39.0 KB, 13 views)
Old June 16, 2016, 08:09 AM   #19
58limited

That is where my proof and date marks are too.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin