Quantcast
correct wadding for a thunder mug? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 15, 2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Arizona_Mike

correct wadding for a thunder mug?

I tried my thunder mugs (500 gr and 2 oz of FFg) using paper wadding rammed on top and honestly expected them to be a lot louder.

Am I doing it right? What kind of wadding and how much for a black powder noisemaker.

Mike
If it involves guns or paracord it does not count as macramé.
Old July 15, 2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Sunray

I'd look at the Lyman BP Handbook and Reloading Guide. Has signal cannon loads, as I recall. That's what you need.

Last edited by 4v50 Gary; July 18, 2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: static deleted
Old July 17, 2014, 12:09 AM   #3
25cschaefer

I would try to find some corks that fit snugly
Old July 17, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4
S Anderson

Thunder Mug Wadding

I just use a ball of of newspaper and pack it down tight, you have to create some sort of resistance on top of the powder if you want a BOOM or you will just get a POOF! We were out on the beach one night and had nothing for wadding so we just put in the BP and then filled it with sand- worked great untill the Gulf Shores Cops came looking for the source of the reported "Sonic Boom" calls, they never got a clue.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:53 PM   #5
GarySTL

I have a 1.25 inch bore salute cannon (thunder mug). I use 3 Tbs. of fffg and pack newspaper on top. I pack the paper in with a dowel rod and plastic mallet until the bores full. Nice and loud. If there's no wind it shoots a smoke ring about 75 feet high.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:41 AM   #6
zimmerstutzen

I have a 1.25 inch signal cannon. I bought a corresponding size arch punch and cut out round cardboard circles. Homesote works best if you can find it. It is tough to punch out though.
Old July 19, 2014, 03:05 PM   #7
CANNONMAN

Prior to shooting anything of substance, steel, lead, "copper" or concrete, out of a new cannon or mortar, I will shoot to hear the throat of the thing. I like FFFF because it's very efficient for this sort of thing. Your 2oz of FF should be plenty. Try this: Measure the diameter of your device. Go to your local hardware or hobby shop and buy a wood dowel rod slightly smaller than your diameter. Frequently this type of device has a charge pocket. I would be surprised if it held 2 oz. Anyway, don't over fill if it is so equipped. Cut 1" of dowel and place onto a cloth that makes a "snug" fit. [Tech Talk - The Snugger The fit, The Bigger The Boom!] You are patching a wood slug. Tap patched slug to BP. NOTE: pressing the BP with patch may make fuse placement difficult. I place fuse first, then BP, then slug. Keep device upright to prevent charge pocket spillage. Want a different effect with all the same components? Read thread on air gaps. Wood and cotton will not react the same as steel, lead et al. PS, NEVER tap slug into place with steel!!! Use wood or plastic.
Old July 22, 2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Loyalist Dave

You could go to 3Fg and use NO WADDING, but I'd start with 140 grains and work up from that...

LD
Old July 22, 2014, 01:15 PM   #9
zimmerstutzen

If all you want is the boom you need more resistance than a ball of newspaper can give. The best boom I got from my 1.25 cannon was with wads punched from thick leveling splits from a tannery. Two 1/4 inch thick wads on top about 120 grains actually created enough concussion to break a neighbor's window a third of a mile away. People make the mistake of increasing the powder when a tight fitting slightly heavier wad is all that is required. In my 75 cal cannon, the best boom is with three fiber 10 ga wads on top 90 grains of 2fg. There must be enough pressure to get the wad up to sonic velocity levels to create the best boom. A wad with insufficient fit or weight will simply make a woosh sound and no boom.

Dixie once reccomended making wads by packing wet newspaper into a piece of pipe with an i.d. the same as the cannon and then letting it dry. Such a wad would be much denser than just crumpled news print. It would fit better as well.

a 1 and 3/16 hole saw ought to be the proper size cutter. Grind the teeth off and then grind the exterior edge to a knife type edge and mount it in your drill press and cut out pieces of half inch homosote for wads. It ought to be snug enough to make a tight fit. two or three such wads should make the neighbors notice.

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; July 22, 2014 at 01:22 PM.