Quantcast
arbor wonders - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 21, 2015, 06:57 PM   #1
kBob

arbor wonders

OK responses to Mike's 1860/NMA post have me thinking.

How much difference is there in the diameter of a NMA .44 a ROA .44 and a 1860.44 arbor?

Would some sort of blast shield like on the 1873 cartridge SAA have made a NMA more reliable?

How about the Whitney or the S&B, though .36 did they have more problems than Colt because of arbor design?

Much as I hate two wildly different questions in one post.......

Also curious given the way Ruger has borrowed extensively from KelTec, shoot even SiG borrowed from KelTec, any reason some say Italian firm could not start making new ROAs tomorrow morning? Even to interchangeable parts?

Blue would be fine.....

-kBob
Old July 21, 2015, 07:15 PM   #2
72coupe

Too many trips to Starbucks this morning Bob?
Old July 21, 2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Ifishsum

The arbor on my 1860 Pietta Colt measures around 0.425 inches, maybe a skosh more. The Remington NMA (also Pietta) cylinder pin is 0.223 ish. Also the 1860 arbor is spiral grooved under the cylinder rather than smooth, which I believe helps give any fouling somewhere to go and allows for plenty of lube to keep things moving. Sorry, I don't have a ROA to measure for you.
Old July 22, 2015, 12:18 AM   #4
AJumbo

I don't think the ROA's arbor pin is much bigger than .25, the same as their centerfire revolvers.

OK, I just looked, and I'll stick by my .25 claim. Couldn't locate my dial caliper, though.
Old July 22, 2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Erwan

For the ROA it's right now 6.57mm or 0.26" (0.258 exactly) that what said the dial caliper on my knees...

But for tomorrow I don't know......

Last edited by Erwan; July 22, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old July 22, 2015, 06:17 PM   #6
daboyleroy

Arbor

Gotta get me one of those talking calipers.

just kidding
don't get your panties in a wad
Old July 22, 2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Erwan

I'll take care....

Have a nice day...

Last edited by Erwan; July 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM.