Quantcast
The RUGER OLD ARMY Club - Page 64 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #1576
Doak

SUMIKITO ~
Your blend of wisdom & humor is uniquely unbeatable! More, more! :-D

Kindest Regards,
Doak
Old May 27, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1577
Patocazador

ROAs back up for sale

The two NIB ROAs I mentioned before are listed again: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=717755

Bob
Old May 27, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1578
kituwa

Sumitko,,just wondering,,if i mis those pearly gates,,is black powder even going to be safe to have there? lol actually i am native american, so im hopeing i make the happy hunting grounds.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1579
SUMIKITO

Seeing it like it is & pearly gates........

Why thanks, Doak, I just try to say it the way I see it. Kituwa: No need to bring any Holy Black up there, beyond those pearly gates, awaits Alfred Novel, and has some better stuff for our venerable ROAs. We all know it can take THAT kinda stuff up the snout. Make sure you bring a clean one. You DO know who will be inspecting it. All the very best to all on this Memorial Day.
While laying down my just fired Ruger Old Army on the shooting bench table, I smile and think, oh don't I just love the smell of burning blackpowder early in the morning. There must be an Old Army or two up there in Heaven. There must be.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1580
Joe Meyer

My first ROA for $75

Ok, I got to do a little bragging here. I found this on a Facebook group for $75 because it was "broken". It was seized up from not being cleaned right, sat for 15 years. Made is 1994.

It took a day, but it cleaned up really nice. There is a little pitting left on the hammer. The barrel and chambers are spotless.
Can't wait to shoot it.

Last edited by Joe Meyer; May 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1581
kituwa

Good going Joe,,you saved another one!No telling how many are hid away just like that.
Old May 28, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1582
Malachi Leviticus Blue

FYI There is a Bianchi ROA holster for sale on EBAY with 15 hrs and change left in the auction....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-OLD-AR...item2a2d19aaf9

Harder to find than an ROA itself.
Old May 28, 2013, 06:44 PM   #1583
karlthev

Sure don't mean to be a Major PIA so, if I am, lemme know but, has ANYONE some way of contacting Belt Mt. Enterprises? As I have said before, I sent them two checks back in mid-April and, haven't heard from them since. The checks haven't been cashed but, there's been no returned mail either. I called the Post Office in Belgrade, Mt. and they have stated that the PO box is checked frequently. I may have screwed up with the zip code but, I don't think so.... Has anyone had any contact with these folks? And, PLEASE, don't think my confusion has anything to do with their service...just trying to fond out some information,,,THANKS!!

Karl
Old May 28, 2013, 08:04 PM   #1584
SUMIKITO

7 1/2" Bianchi ROA holster........

That's a nice one. Looks like an Old Army has been kept in there well and has been carried canted butt forward by the looks of the wear marks in the belt retainer loop. The inner flaps even shadow the grip of the pistol. A couple of oil marks too. I like the green patina coming from the edges of the real brass hardware Bianchi used. Wondering how much it will go for. Even ROA accesories are going for a pretty penny nowadays. I remember when you could get these kinda stuff mixed in a large carboard box in gun shows for $5.00 or $10.00 a piece. Good used Bianchi holsters of all kinds. Those days are long gone. Should have bought a couple.
While laying down my just fired Ruger Old Army on the shooting bench table, I smile and think, oh don't I just love the smell of burning blackpowder early in the morning. There must be an Old Army or two up there in Heaven. There must be.
Old May 28, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1585
4v50 Gary

$75 for a ROA JoeMeyer? That's far less than the $172.50 I paid back in '76-'77.
Old May 28, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1586
SUMIKITO

Joe Meyers lucky find! ..........

You stole it Joe Meyer! The Facebook crowd is most likely tacking some wanted posters of you and the pistol all over the net by now! Time to change hats and grow a beard! Enjoy the loot!
Old May 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1587
pwillie

I have two ROA's with fixed sights 7 1/2 barrels...and one 5.5 barrel,all new in the box. I collect them.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1588
FreddyKruger

Where can i get a cylinder latch spring for my ROA? brownells and midway are bust. Ruger list it as discontinued.
THR Walker Club - #141
THR Remington 1858 Club - #154
THE Ruger Old Army Club - #118
Old May 29, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1589
mykeal

How about a Blackhawk spring?
http://www.brownells.com/manufacture...ger__Blackhawk
Old May 29, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1590
AbitNutz

Power Custom has an oversize latch....

http://powercustom.com/store/index.p...oducts_id=1020
Old May 29, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1591
FreddyKruger

I was on my phone so couldnt link

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684...ruger-old-army

That one. It looks like Ruger was the only one that made it.

I looked at using one from a different model but they appear to be a different shape all together?
THR Walker Club - #141
THR Remington 1858 Club - #154
THE Ruger Old Army Club - #118
Old May 30, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1592
Wild Tom Hipshot

Asking membership in ROA Club

I am from Sweden and I am a life member in SASS (Cowboy Acton Shooting). I have had my ROA since 1982 and I have shorten the barrel to 5" and removed the barrel address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc00292x.jpg (72.5 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc00288x.jpg (70.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Wild Tom Hipshot; May 31, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1593
SUMIKITO

We have a new Swedish friend....Let's open the gates Clembert!.......

Welcome Wild Tom Hipshot. What a nice looking ROA you have there. A very well done pistol indeed. Great to have someone from that part of the world. I have heard a lot of good things about the combat shooting teams from your country. World class practical shooters indeed. You will enjoy your stay for sure. This site is THE PLACE for the great Old Army. All the very best to you.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1594
Patocazador

That is one fine looking gun, Wild Tom. A 5 1/2" ROA with adjustable sights .. YA-HOO !!

I may get another one just to do that to it.

Bob
Old May 30, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1595
white smoke

Welcome Wild Tom. A lot of good people and information to be found here.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1596
robhof

robhof

Great looking gun there Wild Tom; did you do the work on it yourself? Welcome to the forum.
Old May 31, 2013, 05:40 AM   #1597
Wild Tom Hipshot

Thanks for wishing me welcome to this Club

I have 27 guns and my ROA is one of my favourites. I have had it now for 31 years and I have shot a lot with it and my ROA and me come along just fine.

Thank you for appreciating my gun and I must say that it looks even more great live than it does on the pictures. I never be tired to look at it, nice lines with the short barrel.

Robhof: No, I have not done the work myself. I could have done if I have had a lathe machine, as I had been working in mechanic shop for many years, but not anymore. I have a shooting friend who is a tool maker and he have done the work. He have an own private work shop with lots of machines, lathes, mills and grounding machines. All was my idea and I explain to him how I wanted it. He can really do nice works, excellent and the very best.

I am not satisfied with the original Rear Sight on my ROA. It is sloppy. Do you guys know if there is any company who is making aftermarket Rear Sights that will fit to a ROA, Bomar, Millet or any other brand. I will be grateful if somebody could tell me.

Last edited by Wild Tom Hipshot; June 1, 2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:22 AM   #1598
SUMIKITO

Rear sight for Wild Tom's ROA......

Wild Tom, I believe that Millett has the series 100 white outline rear sight that would fit the ROA. Some folks have used the ones for the Ruger Blackhawk [old model] which won't fit but when filed a tiny bit makes for a nice and tight fit that never moves at all and becomes a precision fit which benefits keeping your gun "fixed" for that load you use. Of course, you can still adjust it but remains tight always. Try looking into Midway Arms and Brownells as they carry a very wide and large selection of quality sights. Some members here will likely chime in and let you know if they have other sights they have used to good effect. All the best to you.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1599
aHFo3

Wild Tom, I have no personal experience with these, but I've heard good first hand reviews. They're from Bowen Classic Arms:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/part...ar_sights.html
Old May 31, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1600
Wild Tom Hipshot

Thank you very much to SUMIKITO and aHFo3 for your answers. I will look up these vendors and I will let you know what I will find out.