Quantcast
The RUGER OLD ARMY Club - Page 74 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 6, 2014, 10:16 AM   #1826
Chili_pepper917

Hammer work

Rodwha,

Basically I put the hammers in the vice cross ways and heated up the just the spur with a small oxy/ map gas torch till it was a warm red, I used a small hammer and firmly tapped the spur until it was the shape I wanted. I tried to use the least amount of heat possible as I'm not exactly sure what it would do to the hardening. I let the hammer air cool and then polished out the discoloration. I then took a small V shaped diamond file to clean up the serrations that had been flattened out.

Rodman579, Those are BAD ASS! very, very nice.

Best regards,

Chili
Old February 7, 2014, 04:56 PM   #1827
karlthev

Figured I'd ask..what the Hell? I'm looking for a stainless Bisley frame and hammer for my stainless ROA. Anyone willing to part? Send me a PM. Thanks.

Karl
Old February 7, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1828
SUMIKITO

Snubbie ROAs.........

TaurusBob : hmmm, changed my mind on that scope thing. A small laser perhaps only, like the ones made for the NAA Companions perhaps. Hah, two of them, yes two, snake eyes Snubbie ! ......now back to the drawing board,.....it never ends........where was I.........
While laying down my just fired Ruger Old Army on the shooting bench table, I smile and think, oh don't I just love the smell of burning blackpowder early in the morning. There must be an Old Army or two up there in Heaven. There must be.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:39 PM   #1829
MRRAGPICKER

Finally put my pimp grips on.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 24, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1830
rodwha

How is the lever held in place?

Do you actually use the lever to load?

Cool!

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old February 24, 2014, 11:02 PM   #1831
MRRAGPICKER

Thats a copper loop that swings down to use the lever. Yes I use it, It is easiest to do if you turn your hand so you're using the heel of your palm.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:06 AM   #1832
rodwha

Nice!

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old February 25, 2014, 02:40 PM   #1833
Patocazador

If the band were in stainless steel, I'll bet it would look like it came from the factory in that configuration.

Really neat looking gun.

Bob
Old February 25, 2014, 07:19 PM   #1834
MRRAGPICKER

Thats the eventual plan. I did the copper just to see what it would do. I've had it on for about 6 months and its working fine. Stainless is not as easy to work with, so I knocked it out in copper first.
Old February 25, 2014, 09:40 PM   #1835
rodwha

I kinda liked it, though stainless would likely look better.

Old February 26, 2014, 09:46 AM   #1836
Chili_pepper917

That is a very nice Pistola you have there. Could you post a few additional pics of the loop set up, that's a very cool idea.

Best regards,

Chili
Old February 27, 2014, 12:23 PM   #1837
MRRAGPICKER

Iím in the process of buying a camera. The picture I posted was with a borrowed one.
Once I get that Iíll get some more posted.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:38 PM   #1838

Can I join the club? Just picked this up today as a good shooting companion to my Belgian Colt 1860
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_444.jpg (156.3 KB, 13 views)
Old March 4, 2014, 03:42 AM   #1839
BowerR64

Me too, can i be part of the cool guy club?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old army club.JPG (117.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by BowerR64; March 4, 2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1840

BowerR64 we might have to bring some life to this group
Old March 4, 2014, 09:13 AM   #1841
raa-7

Ahhh, Finally ! tomorrow my stainless Ruger Old Army .45 should arrive I wanted to join this club when it started but I guess the time wasn't right then. I'll post pictures when I get it Can someone direct me to the site where I can look up the serial number to see what year it was made ?
Old March 4, 2014, 09:26 AM   #1842
wap41

roa serial #

Just do a search for ruger dates of mfr
Old March 4, 2014, 11:50 AM   #1843

Anybody shoot with over 40gr pyrodex in their ROA?
Old March 4, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1844
AbitNutz

That would be me but I have deeper chambers and use bullets...I also moved to Triple 7. I don't like Pyrodex.

If you use Triple 7, no wad and deepened chambers...most will be surprised how much you can get in there. You will also get less than optimal accuracy and lots of lead lining the barrel.

,אבל עם מוזיקאים חתונה היא כמו לוויה:Hebrew Quote
A wedding is like a funeral, but with musicians.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1845
rodwha

Who did you get to deepen your chambers?

I'd like to have it done to mine, but would prefer to see if I can find someone in town. Can you be specific on what exactly was done? It appears as though the bottom of the stock chamber is rounded. Was this made straight-walled to help achieve capacity?

Do you know how much extra capacity you gained? A prior max load vs the new?

Old March 4, 2014, 01:23 PM   #1846
kanook

Quote:
Who did you get to deepen your chambers?

I'd like to have it done to mine, but would prefer to see if I can find someone in town. Can you be specific on what exactly was done? It appears as though the bottom of the stock chamber is rounded. Was this made straight-walled to help achieve capacity?

Do you know how much extra capacity you gained? A prior max load vs the new?
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/mi...onoptions.html

See #35

I did this a couple years ago, and boy was it a blast. The accuracy does fall though.
Ruger Old Army Club ... #3
Old March 4, 2014, 02:24 PM   #1847
BowerR64

Good lord 40 grains and T7?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
You will also get less than optimal accuracy and lots of lead lining the barrel.
Well who doesnt want that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatarshots View Post
BowerR64 we might have to bring some life to this group
I think i might know why once i shoot this thing.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:47 PM   #1848
rodwha

I've been able to get 45 grns of 3F T7 behind a ball. I tried it with 3F Olde Eynsford and had to shave the end off.

If I can get that much T7 behind a ball it's likely I can get it behind the 195 grn bullet I made, and maybe even 50 grns behind the 170 grn bullet that's only .400" long. I can only imagine what kind of thump that will give!

Old March 4, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1849

Good to know I'm in he ballpark then with a 45gr load. I'm thinking about zeroing the sights at 50 yards
Old March 4, 2014, 03:10 PM   #1850

Oh, by the way, anybody looking for a mint Uberti 1860 I have one in the box cheap