Quantcast
I need a little selling help. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Firearms Research

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 4, 2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Usertag

I need a little selling help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread topic, but i couldnt find one for selling help. Heres the story i need to help a bud price some of his arms. I have a basis but would like a close estimate on these guns. Hes a man of his money. We got a S&W, marlin lever and 1959 win 88.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_37001.jpg (96.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_37011.jpg (101.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_37091.jpg (63.3 KB, 88 views)
Old December 4, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2
rogerjames

I need a little selling help.

Try a site like gunbroker and see what similar items are selling for. That will give you a good place to start.

Last edited by bikerdoc; December 8, 2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: removed snarky remark
Old December 4, 2014, 01:36 AM   #3
Twiki357

Check the actual sales on GunBroker for the same or similar makes and models.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:50 AM   #4
burrhead

One thing that may help is to post the calibers of everything and the model/dash number of the S&W.
Old December 4, 2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Cee Zee

Be sure to check the actual price the guns have sold for. Often you will see people trying to get rich on a sale. They will sometimes ask double what a gun is actually worth. So it's the price the guns actually sold for that matters. And keep in mind that guns sell better in certain regions. For example you won't see people paying a big price for certain shotguns in some areas while they bring much more in other areas. Where I live people will pay about $200 more for a 870 Wingmaster than they will in other areas.

Gun shows and flea markets are good places to check prices in some areas. Or you can get a book on gun values. But those aren't always right IMO. Or you could try web sites like this:

http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/
Old December 4, 2014, 04:47 AM   #6
ku4hx

Read some of the ads on Gunbroker.com to get an idea of how guns are marketed. To get my interest, you'd have to be supplying a whole lot more data.
Old December 4, 2014, 06:05 AM   #7
Field Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
Read some of the ads on Gunbroker.com to get an idea of how guns are marketed. To get my interest, you'd have to be supplying a whole lot more data.
For real.
Better close up and clear pictures. Even your pictures taken that far back have horrible lighting.
Precise make and model of each firearm.
Estimated condition of each firearm.
Year of each firearm.
Any additional accessories with them.
Any notable provenance....

Craftsmanship at it's finest.
MachIVshooter's 1/2 Scale AR-15 project.
Old December 7, 2014, 11:46 PM   #8
csa77

that smith appears to be a 686, my brother has a 686-3 that looks awfully similar
with out better pics ill take a guess that smith(if it is a 686) is around 750$
Old December 8, 2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Stony

Not a 686....maybe 624 or 629? Need better info and pics first.
Old December 8, 2014, 09:02 AM   #10
bikerdoc

A local gun store would be happy tp help.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old December 8, 2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Jim Watson

While it is hard to get big bucks in a general selloff, be informed that a pre-64 Winchester 88 is a fairly valuable gun. And there is a good deal of interest in big bore snubby revolvers for some reason. The Marlin is pretty ordinary and you will be competing against all the stores in an industry downturn, everybody having spent their hobby money in a panic over ammo and automatics.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:45 PM   #12
keen one

A winchester 88, pre '64 in .358 will run $2500. post '64 in .308 $400. (more data needed)
Marlin JM stamped is getting more valuable, 35 remington being in more demand than 30/30 ($350)
The smith Revolver no less than $400. (it's a smith)
Old December 9, 2014, 05:41 AM   #13
Radagast
Contributing Member

The S&W appears to be a Lew Horton special, Model 624 .44 special With the original factory holster. If it has box and docs, $800 - $900 is possible.

More info here http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ton-624-a.html