Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 3, 2007, 06:00 PM   #1
fiVe

642 Club Part Three

What is the 642 Club? Just a place to hang a snubnose post? No. We are a testament to a very popular revolver. We are a front-line, almost real-time, almost face-to-face, first-rate reference, with a vast wealth of knowledge on grips, ammo, carry methods, etc. I am proud of this, particularly with all the new members coming on board.

Without a doubt, this thread itself has become a vital accessory to the 642. And we are trying to positively influence the manufacture of new 642 accessories with the Hogue grips petition.

Instead of asking “What is the 642 Club?”, we should really ask “Who is the 642 Club?”. We are a band of friendly, decent folk who have bonded (albeit maybe loosely) around a very cool snubnose revolver. This is a good thread because it is made up of good people, and together we have created a warm, decent place on the web.

I’m thankful we have such a quality board on which to exist. The High Road is a beacon on the internet and a standard that every board should follow. Thank you, Oleg and moderators for letting us be here. I do hope we will be seen as a thread with substance and not just size. While I do have a life outside THR, I am proud of my membership here.

When I created post #1, I never could have imagined this thread would grow to over 5000 posts and I never could have do it alone. In other words, this happened because of you--over 600 of you--not me. So....thanks. What’s next? I think we should keep doing what we’ve been doing--stay friendly, post your range reports, post your reviews on ammo, holsters, etc., help the newbies, and if you discover/experience anything new with your 642, be sure to share it.

I hope this thread is as big a blessing to you as it is to me.
Safe shootin’.

Peace,
fiVe
Old November 5, 2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Brian Williams
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the second edition of the 642 Club

Part 1 here
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658

I put 50 rounds through mine today...

EDIT to add
Just a reminder folks this is the 642 club. It is in the revolver forum and should be on topic for the Revolver forum and the x42 series of S&W revolvers. Rambling to the other centenial frames and other light weight revolvers fit the topic of this thread and any thing else will be deleted or moved.
b

Last edited by Brian Williams; January 27, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 9, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Brian Williams
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the third edition of the club.
part Deux
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422
Old November 9, 2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Nematocyst

I'm smiling over here.

Glad to be in on the ground floor of partie trois.

Hey, check it out. Post #4.

Brian, maybe a link at the bottom of Part Deux
to help members find part 3 easier?

ABE: My sig line has been updated.
"Wheels" now points here.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels

Last edited by Nematocyst; November 9, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Updated sig line
Old November 9, 2010, 10:17 PM   #5
DAdams

Who could have Imagined

Still crazy after all these years. I'm pleased to still be alive. who could have imagined what fiVe hath wrought.

Now I can post that series of holiday pictures all over again!

Third times a charm, I'm in for the duration.

At Ease, Smokem if you've Gottem.

MSAA Reporting for Duty.

Post FIVE.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:49 AM   #6
RetDep310

Been reading these posts ever since I became a member of THR. Just joined the 642 Club yesterday after buying mine a couple of weeks ago. Being part of a 3rd addition almost seems like a part of history !!!
Old November 10, 2010, 02:29 AM   #7
whitecoyote

Thumbs up

Wow, 642 Club Part Deux 3,999 post, 334,023 views, & three years six days has to be a record.
I'm in for part 3.

Last edited by whitecoyote; November 10, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
scottishclaymore

Hey fellow 642er's. I think a new edition of this awesome thread calls for new photos of everybody's favorite snub. I'm away from my camera (but not my snub!) right now, but I'll try to get some up this evening when I get home.

So everybody else... Let's see a picture of your snub and snubby gear!

Executive Editor, The Excelsior Training Group.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Stainz

All is right in the world - and my 642 is back in my pocket. The 296 is hidden away - as is my old 2" 10, my wife's #1 choice - and my 4" 64. Hidden - but accessible. The 642 has yeoman-like duty - pocket peacekeeper extraordinaire. Now, off to Publix for groceries - and their 5% off 'senior discount' - if the blue-hairs left any open parking spots!

Stainz
Old November 10, 2010, 05:46 PM   #10
MIL-DOT

Well I'll be danged, I just minutes ago got home with my new 642, poured me a wee beverage and sat down at the computer to see how my "642 lock removal" thread was going, when lo & behold, I spy nothing less than an entire thread, nay,CLUB, dedicated to this most nifty of new toys !! Imagine my joy !!
But seriously, I had no idea this was here, and look forward to scrolling back and reading more about these pistols than I was able to Google-up this past weekend while still considering getting one.
Amusing aside here, the girl that works at my FFL asked incredulously, "did you buy this thing NEW?" I said "yeah,why", and she said the boss was sorely pissed when he saw the price, as they couldn't have gotten this as cheap as I did !! They actually thought it must have been used !!
Anyway, I brought along some Winny white-box +p hollow points so I could load her up immediately and give her a shorts-pocket test ride,and she was noticably less bulky and heavy than my other carry pieces, a SP101 3", and a G26 (no surprise).
I was also happier than I expected to be with the trigger pull,seemed to be a little less length and considerably less fluctuation in resistance than seems to be common W/ double action. I was very happy with it.
Naturally, I played with the key & lock mechanism almost immediately after returning home,and I actually came away more confident in it than I expected. I can't see how this could possibly engage itself during a 5-round firefight, maybe while out shooting a box or three, but in a realistic 5-round SD scenario, I ain't seeing it. But of course,I'd appreciate any input from anyone that may have had this happen, though.
Oh yeah, uh, sorry....I seem to have gotten a little ahead myself............OOH,OOH,OOH, CAN I JOIN THE CLUB ???? CAN I ?? HUH,CAN I, PLEASE ?????? COME ON,GUYS,LEMME IN,LEMME IN !!!!!
Old November 10, 2010, 07:52 PM   #11
DAdams

Pictures of 642s and gear I'm all over that. I have been plotting, I need to get the camera out and the right lighting. Into the equipment cache go I. This may take awhile. Stay tuned.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:00 PM   #12
DAdams

Mil Dot

Consider youself a member.
Great write up. SP 101, G26 nice indeed but you have graduated to the X42 cadre. A fellowship of few. Thanks for your insight.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:04 PM   #13
DAdams

Welcome

To the Coyote and RetDep310.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:23 PM   #14
jad0110

Location: Somewhere between the Eastern Block states and Florida
Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive ...

Great to see the Club still going strong, on it's 3rd edition no less. I wonder if when my boy goes to college I'll be making a similar post to The 642 Club the 14th!
Old November 12, 2010, 06:24 PM   #15
BamaUmp

Sure will be glad when my 642 comes in. I paid 430 out the door plus I will be getting the 50 rebate. How does that price compare to other places. I'm in East Alabama.

Last edited by BamaUmp; November 12, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old November 12, 2010, 06:25 PM   #16
BamaUmp

"glad" I can type sometimes!
Old November 12, 2010, 06:34 PM   #17
308win

I think I paid $329 but then that was a few years ago.

Don'tcha just love a smart*ss

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old November 12, 2010, 06:48 PM   #18
BamaUmp

Would be worse if you said you got it that cheap yesterday 30 miles from me . I have a glock 22 I'm considering selling or keeping as a stay in the car gun. Any suggestions?
Old November 12, 2010, 09:35 PM   #19
DAdams

BamaUmp

Quote:
I have a glock 22
Keep that trash talk to yourself.....we don't need to know....
Take it to the Autoloader Side of the House.

Last edited by DAdams; November 13, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old November 12, 2010, 09:43 PM   #20
DAdams

Harvest Time

jad sayeth....
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by DAdams; November 12, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old November 12, 2010, 09:53 PM   #21
BamaUmp

My question is as a 642 owner would you keep the Glock 22? Its a 2nd gen doubt I could get enough out of it to buy another 642.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Resto Guy

My little buddy after a hard day's work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 642r.jpg (92.0 KB, 395 views)
Old November 13, 2010, 12:10 AM   #23
BamaUmp

Another question, I know this has been talked to death but how is the of the Mika pocket holsters. I drive all over the south east for a courier service and as a college softball umpire. Any suggestions on how or where to holster a 642 while driving. As stated before I will have that dirty word gun in the car as well but at some point will start leaving it at home the more comfortable I become with my 642. How much could you expect to save from loading your own .38 special loads? Is the investment really worth it for someone that will only throw a couple of hundred rounds per month down range? Anyone ever built their own gun range outdoors......I have a family farm with approx. 80 acres. We have a pond that was dug with a rather large pile of dirt left behind that seems would be great place. Any advice and sorry about the "dirty" words earlier.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:14 AM   #24
Nematocyst

There is some fine new photography popping up on page 1.

Wish I could contribute, but ... alas, I cannot.

Old November 13, 2010, 12:22 AM   #25
Nematocyst

Page 1? Why look! I'm nailing the bottom of page 1 of partie trois.

Let's see. What can I do to justify this post as related.

Hey, I know. How about a link to the SW page on the 642?

Here it is.

$616? Really.