Quantcast
Bought a new Ruger LCR in 9 mm... any questions? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 12, 2014, 01:57 AM   #1
BLU

Bought a new Ruger LCR in 9 mm... any questions?

I traded in my .357 Magnum LCR for the 9 mm version. The .357 was becoming a safe queen since I either carry my S&W M642-Pro or Ruger SP101 .357, (both loaded with .38 Spc. +P) more often now. I didn't own a 9 mil handgun and thought it was time. Always wanted a 9 mil revolver. I like it! Anything you wondered about?
Old December 12, 2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Manny

I'm curious how well the sights are regulated. I've read several posts that POA/POI don't necessarily coincide.
Old December 12, 2014, 06:32 AM   #3
RustyShackelford

Moon rings?.....

Do the hot spent 9x19mm cases pop out freely or do you need a moon ring(clip) to remove all of them manually?
I'm not a fan of the heavy LCRs.
It seems to defeat the purpose. I'm leaning more towards a LCR in .22wmr or maybe a .38spl if I buy one in 2015.
I would go heavy(stainless) for a 5 shot .44spl LCR.
Old December 12, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
WC145

The 9mm and .357mag LCRs are certainly heavier than the .38spls at 17oz vs 13.5oz, but not too much. However, compared to the old 9mm S&W 940, the 9mm Ruger SP101, and the 9mm Taurus 905, which are all 22oz or more, the weight of the new 9mm LCR is definitely an improvement over the 9mm snubbies of the past.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old December 12, 2014, 11:37 PM   #5
C0untZer0

Can cartridges be snapped into the moon clip by hand?

Will the LCR fire cartridges without the moon clips?
Old December 13, 2014, 09:47 AM   #6
BLU

Manny: I was only 3 yards away from the target when I fired. Average was about 1-2" below POA. However... It was a mostly a 'point & shoot' drill to make sure it worked before carrying. I wasn't too worried about accuracy over function at the moment. I'll do a test at a range here within the next month and take photos. I plan to re-qualify with this in July. If I cannot hit 30 out of 30 on a 8x11 sheet of paper from 15 yards, (like I did with my .357 Magnum LCR), I'll let you know.

Rusty: I used Remington 124 gr. FMJ loads without the moon clip, (I loaded only 3 rounds). Only 1 ejected by tilting the gun upward in typical ejection mode. I used a standard pencil to quickly extract the other two. I don't know, but, I'd assume hot loads would stick.

On the weight... it seems that the 9 carries easier than the .357 and certainly easier than my .357 2" SP101.

Count Zero: I do own the Moonclip tool. I found NO need to use it with the LCR clips. I predict others will copy Ruger's moon clips because they are soooo easy to use without any tool. The rounds are easily placed in and taken out of the moon clip by hand.

The LCR will allow you to load and fire the rounds (with a nice positive strike on the primer) without the use of a moon clip. Extraction is another matter!
Old December 13, 2014, 10:45 AM   #7
C0untZer0

Thanks for the info.
Old December 13, 2014, 12:00 PM   #8
R.W.Dale

Is the gun built around a clip that gives you 38-357 headspace?

IE is the clip relieved into the back of the cylinder or is it a thinner clip that sits behind it in the breach gap?
Old December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM   #9
RustyShackelford

Yeah.....

I think I'll lean towards a .22wmr or maybe a .38spl LCR.
For a 9x19mm, I'll keep the M&P Shield "no thumb safety".
Old December 13, 2014, 06:53 PM   #10
BLU

R.W. Dale: I should have mentioned that! Thanks for bringing that issue up.
The cylinder is machined so when you put an empty moon clip in, you will then have a flush surface, when you remove it you can see where the metal has been lathed away to accommodate that clip. See attached, (not super clear but clear enough!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.4 KB, 32 views)
Old December 13, 2014, 07:03 PM   #11
R.W.Dale

Bought a new Ruger LCR in 9 mm... any questions?

That is very interesting that ruger is adding a machining step yet still keeping the price the same as a 357

I expected a thin recess free clip like a Taurus 905 uses. But using a thick s&w/ruger moon clip at this price point is a pretty big deal

And you say that the cylinder is machined to headspace in the case mouth as well?
Old December 13, 2014, 07:21 PM   #12
smalls

Do these use a proprietary moon clip? Have you purchased any extra?

What's the street price on these?
Old December 13, 2014, 07:27 PM   #13
C0untZer0

The lowest online price is $450.00 That already puts it pretty close to the online price of the 357 Magnum model.

I'm not counting auctions.

I used Gun Watcher to round up the prices.

http://www.gunwatcher.com/gun/74AC66688BF214/lcr-9mm
Old December 13, 2014, 07:42 PM   #14
C0untZer0

Quote:
Do these use a proprietary moon clip?
Do you mean can a moonclip from some other 5-shot revolver be used with the LCR?

http://www.tkcustom.com/cart/shopdis...id=268&cat=9mm

You can sometimes figure that out by reading the information on a moon clip tool and reading the descriptions for mandrels / arbors. I guess this would be useful if you already had moon clips for a 5-shot revolver, but looking at the moon clip tool arbors page, it looks like the LCR is by itself. You have to scroll down near the end of the page to view the arbors:

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

The only way to know for sure would be to match-up and measure clips, but it doesn't look to me like the LCR has similar dimensions to other existing 5-shot 9mm revolvers.
Old December 13, 2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Cooldill

Do the moon rings that come with the gun bend easily?

Do the rounds fit snug in them?
Old December 13, 2014, 10:31 PM   #16
HankR

Just confirming that rounds snap in (and empties snap out) easily. I've only loaded the moon clips about times each, and it seems so easy I'm wondering if they are loosening up. They don't seem to be, but rounds do snap in very easily.

I have some moonclips that fit a 9mm SP-101 and they will not fit the LCR. I was able to buy aftermarket moonclips for the SP, and suspect that somebody will make some for the LCR pretty soon. I'm thinking I used to get 9-10 for $20 or so (I think Ruger is asking $15 for three clips right now, but haven't verified this, I just read it somewhere.)

I did not shoot them side-by-side, but the recoil from the 9mm (115 gr, not +P) seemed much nicer than an Airweight with .38 +p
Old December 13, 2014, 11:23 PM   #17
C0untZer0

I saw Jeff Quinn load and de-moon the LCR clip by hand, so I do believe it is an easy clip to work with. If I had to guess, I'd say the space going down the middle of each spoke makes it easier to load. For my S&W 929, the last round is always the most difficult to load because there isn't any play to the left or the right of the remaining slot.
Old December 14, 2014, 07:27 AM   #18
BLU

These are proprietary moon clips, .032" thick. I too have surmised that the grove cut between the cartridge area is what makes them so easy to use. The moon clips for my S&W M642-Pro, (for .38 Special rounds), seem much stiffer and more likely to bend out of proportion than the LCR moon clips will. I haven't experienced any problems loading and unloading the 9 mm rounds by hand. The loaded moon clip really does load fast and smooth, at least with FMJ rounds. A bit pricey at $14.95 for three, but, I believe they will last quite some time. You get three with a new revolver.

http://shopruger.com/LCR-9mm-Moon-Cl...uctinfo/90460/

Attachment shows loaded clip...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by BLU; December 14, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:19 AM   #19
C0untZer0

Moon clips have a big mark-up, for what they are.

But anyway, TK Custom makes stainless steel moon clips for the Ruger LCR for $7.50 each, they sell them in a package of 5 for $37.50

Maybe they'll come out with blued steel versions, the regular steel is about half the price, but all I see so far is stainless steel.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:30 PM   #20
BLU

Perhaps if we start calling TK and say "No... don't want to buy stainless... I'll just get some blued clips for less money." "What?! You don't sell them? Thanks anyway... guess I'll just call Ruger... they're less than $5 a piece!"

Ouch!
Old December 17, 2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Hometeached1

I've been thinking about getting one as I have 100ish rounds of 9mm but no handgun chambered in it. (as good of an excuse as any to buy a new gun.) How does the recoil compare to your 642 pro?

Thanks.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old December 18, 2014, 08:44 AM   #22
BLU

That is an excellent question Hometeached1. I only have a lousy answer. I don't recall them being much different. My LGS did not want to take a .44 Magnum, S&W 329PD in trade for a S&W 625JM. He said the 329PD turned off a lot of shooters with it's light weight, (25.1 oz.). I found that curious... I've taken a lot of deer with the 329PD. I don't know if it's my large hands or my stature, (my 20 yr. old is bigger than I am and he swore off shooting my snub .357 Mag) or what, but, recoil doesn't seem to bother me much. I guess I'm not the guy to answer that question! LOL It would be interesting to have someone with the appropriate instrumentation to do an objective test between the two.
Old December 18, 2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Owlnmole

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0 View Post
Moon clips have a big mark-up, for what they are.

But anyway, TK Custom makes stainless steel moon clips for the Ruger LCR for $7.50 each, they sell them in a package of 5 for $37.50

Maybe they'll come out with blued steel versions, the regular steel is about half the price, but all I see so far is stainless steel.
Hmmm, the Ruger moon clips are three for $15. Why would you want the TK Custom ones?

http://shopruger.com/LCR-9mm-Moon-Cl...uctinfo/90460/
Old December 18, 2014, 01:59 PM   #24
C0untZer0

For someone who likes shiny things?
Old December 18, 2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Salty1

I purchased an LCR in 9mm and shot it last night, I put my CT grips on it so the grip sized was diminished. One thing I noticed is that it is a bit more snappy than the 38/357 version shooting 38's although still manageable for quick follow up shots unlike the 357 cartridges.

I shot it both with and without moon clips and the only difference was that the extractor rod will not push out the discharged cases without the moon clips, 4 fell out with a tap although the 5th needed to be pushed out with a small rod. Obviously the moon clips pulled everything out as a single assembly. One nice touch is that the front sight ramp is now white for quicker sight alignment.

Overall I am satisfied with the gun especially the common cartridge with my other handguns which was my ultimate goal.