Quantcast
Replace front sight on BlackHawk? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 31, 2014, 08:08 AM   #1
chiltech500
Contributing Member

Replace front sight on BlackHawk?

Has anyone replaced their front sight, ok if its gunsmith soldering needed.

In another thread we talked about some NMBH with adjustable rears that couldn't be lowered enough to avoid shooting high. I have added a drop of solder to the top of my sight and it enables me to use the sights, however it's not pretty.

Would like a replacement. Thanks for your ideas
Old July 31, 2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Cocked & Locked

Quote:
...we talked about some NMBH with adjustable rears that couldn't be lowered enough to avoid shooting high.
I've got one of those.

Old July 31, 2014, 11:05 AM   #3
BobWright

My gunsmith (Keith Warner) cut off the sight blade (on my Super Blackhawk) and milled a slot in the ramp. He then made a new higher front blade and attached it with a pin.

If you look closely, you can see the pin in the ramp.

Bob Wright
Old July 31, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
CaptHank

I bit the bullet and sent my NMBH back to Ruger, yesterday. Just got an email from UPS, that is was delivered this morning.

I spoke with a different person at Ruger yesterday about the piece shooting high. He stated that a higher front sight, like being used on the 45 Colt, could solve the problem. While it's there, I'm having it re-blued.

Last edited by CaptHank; July 31, 2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling check
Old July 31, 2014, 11:20 AM   #5
BobWright

As I recall, Ruger has three different height sight blades for the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk revolvers. These do require soldering and re-bluing the barrel.

And no way are any of my Three Screw Rugers going back to the factory! Went that route once, never again!

Bob Wright
Old July 31, 2014, 12:02 PM   #6
chiltech500
Contributing Member

Will have to see what I can buy ... I am not inclined to return stuff to any manufacturer if it can be avoided
Old July 31, 2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Stony

A good tig welder can just add a little material to the top and it can be dressed down and a touch of cold blue and you won't notice it.
Old July 31, 2014, 02:15 PM   #8
chiltech500
Contributing Member

I like your idea Stony, that's what I was trying to do with the solder but I couldn't get a big enough drop to my liking. I do have bit of solder on mine which helps, but a little bit more and I could have the adjustable rear set in the middle of its travel rather than at the bottom.

I'm not familiar with cold blue, what is that?
Old July 31, 2014, 04:06 PM   #9
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

I took out the blade on my Blackhawk and cut the notch .062 deeper and
then cut same amout off the top of the blade. Touched it up with cold blue.

Old July 31, 2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Cocked & Locked

Neat looking job.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:02 PM   #11
CaptHank

Bless Ruger

As stated in a previous post, I sent my NMBH 41 Mag. back to Ruger because of it shooting 10" high.

Just got it back today, re-blued, new frame, new springs and new grips. The range test said that it was now shooting 3/4" left and 1 1/4" high. I will head to the range tomorrow and dial things in.

The biggest surprise.... No Charge. You can't beat that with a 2x4 soaked in oil with 3 rusty nails. This piece is over 30 years old.
Old August 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #12
chiltech500
Contributing Member

Wow, that is amazing! I should try that with my new NMBH.

I just received a used S&W 45acp with OVERsized cylinders (about .454) and was thinking of contacting them. I would be amazed if anything would be free from S&W. The cylinder on that revolver needs replaced.
Old August 13, 2014, 02:30 PM   #13
CaptHank

Took it to the range today. At 20 yards, 9 and 10 ring. It's now a keeper. Thanks again, Ruger, for an excellent job.