Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 13 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 10, 2011, 09:45 AM   #301
joepa150

Confused

Before I shot my 642 for the first time a few days ago, I kept reading about how much recoil it has. I was worried that I just bought a gun that has way too much recoil. On THR and smithandwessonforums.com, there are many men much bigger than I am (6'4" 250lbs) saying that the 642 kicks so much that they don't shoot it much.

I am 5'9" and about 185lbs with a medium build. My hands are average to large. When I shot the 642 it did have some kick but nothing close to what people have been saying??? I shot some fmj remington and some +p winchesters.

That day I also shot my Glock 19 which had less recoil and a Glock 23 which had about the same amount of recoil as the 642 imo. The Glock 23 recoil was a bit different than the 642 but about the same intensity.

Don't get me wrong, shooting 100 or more +P out of my 642 wouldn't be a joy but 50 rounds is enjoyable.
Old January 10, 2011, 11:54 AM   #302
motorcycle-charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemonkey View Post
Well, I'm safe then. I'm too old for the gangster look. I'm at the age where my pants don't want to stay up for entirely different reasons.
glad to hear that alemonkey. i know what you mean, that gave me a good chuckle. on a revolver thread it doesnt seem like there would be very many of those pretend gangsters anyway as they seem to gravitate towards the sideways holding semiauto.
Old January 10, 2011, 02:08 PM   #303
DAdams

joepa

Quote:
saying that the 642 kicks so much that they don't shoot it much.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, shooting 100 or more +P out of my 642 wouldn't be a joy but 50 rounds is enjoyable.
Your point is well taken and those who opine on the felt recoil of anything should not, as it is such a personal event fraught with variables both internal and external "your experience may vary".

I find it tedious those who expound on how shooting such and such (revolver, semiauto) is like slamming your hand in a car door, or with a baseball bat. They do a dis-service and that advice is ill conceived.

Anyone considering a handgun or rifle for that matter that have recoil concerns with a given round better give it a try for themselves.

When it comes to snubs, fortunately many ranges that have rental handguns typically will have an X42 or something at least close.

I took a friend to a range who had little handgun experience but knew he wanted a revolver. We shot J, K, and L frames. We used plus P in all three for an apples comparison.

You won't know until you try.

Last edited by DAdams; January 10, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 03:52 PM   #304
motorcycle-charlie

necessary practice

QUOTE; there are many men much bigger than I am (6'4" 250lbs) saying that the 642 kicks so much that they don't shoot it much.

keep in mind also that heavier bullets will kick back more than lighter ones. a 158gr will come back a bit more than a 125gr especially if it is +p. if you cant stand the recoil to practice with, you probablly shouldnt carry it. you need to practice with what you carry. when i shoot my 442 i usually shoot about 150 to 200 rounds. depending on finances, (ammo isnt cheap and i dont reload )maybee 100 if i bring another gun, but if you carry it, you need to shoot it.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:13 AM   #305
alemonkey

So does anyone carry their 642 while running? I live in a nice neighborhood and generally go running through good areas, but then again I don't usually have time to run during daylight hours so I would like to start carrying. I've been thinking a belly band might be the trick.

Who is John Galt?
Old January 11, 2011, 05:56 PM   #306
cabezaverde

Are any of you doing anything to make the sights more visible?
Old January 11, 2011, 06:05 PM   #307
Brian Williams
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are any of you doing anything to make the sights more visible?
Orange construction paint, it is day glo and flat so you do not get any reflection. It fairly rugged and is also easy to clean off if you do not want it anymore.
Old January 11, 2011, 07:11 PM   #308
cabezaverde

Any rear sight solutions? I have wondered if some flat black paint, a magnifier, and a small brush would work.

Last edited by cabezaverde; January 11, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 09:03 PM   #309
lg&m

I use orange paint on most front sights. The rear I just leave as is. The front is where your focus should be. Their and the target.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:30 PM   #310
boltbender

I carry a 642 24/7. It has crimson trace from the factory. The laser works great for me,however in bright light or IDPA they're not any help. At 40 ft. I keep 98% inside 7" with the laser. The iron sights are terrible and I'm cross dominant and need reading glasses to see the front sight at all. Anyone know any work arounds for this dilemma? Love the gun nevertheless.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:13 PM   #311
DAdams

Welcome boltbender. Have you considered having an XS Big Dot installed?
The sight is about $60 and in the literature it says you should have a gunsmith do it.

The M&P 340 have XS sights, which have a big white ring for daytime and tritium vial to create a night sight.

This is the standard dot, the Big Dot is larger IIRC. In reality the dot fills more of the ramp, I took this trying to juggle the 340 and the camera at the same time, but you get the idea.

Have you painted the blade on your X42 for hi-vis?
Old January 13, 2011, 12:46 AM   #312

the 642 does not have pinned sights. How would you go about changing the sights?
Old January 13, 2011, 08:33 AM   #313
DAdams

Quote:
the 642 does not have pinned sights. How would you go about changing the sights?
XS Sight says:

We now offer installation on most models.
CALL 1-888-744-4880 for info.

Quote:
Fixed Sight S&W J-Frames*
(*requires gunsmithing)
Big Dot Tritium Sight
Retail Price: $60
Part Number: SW-0020N-3
I couldn't save the picture, but on page one of the catalog they show a photo of a 442 that has been sighted. They have versions for pinned and fixed.

Last edited by DAdams; January 13, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:57 AM   #314
boltbender

Thanks, I may start out with the paint idea and see if it helps, then look into the big dot. I'm still stuck with the cross dominant eye thing, however.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:53 AM   #315
DAdams

Quote:
I'm still stuck with the cross dominant eye thing, however.
This is probably not new to you:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n27320034/

Seems that it's not an uncommon situation.

Have you considered or tried laser grips? I know they are limited in bright light, but they might cover 50+%shooting situations.

The important aspect of all these short barrel handguns is becoming proficient with point and shoot. Remember the goal is COM (paper plate size area) at 30 feet and under with no sights. When practicing the Old Fuff drill of fives, five rounds, five yards, five seconds I don't use a sight or laser (laser some times), I'm performing point shooting practice, including situational awareness (simulated) instincts and muscle memory.

In a real world life threatening neutralization situation, there will be no time to draw a bead.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=0&oq=point+sh
Old January 13, 2011, 11:55 AM   #316
DAdams

Wow. New 642-2 no locks on Bud's for $361 shipped.

Damn, I knew I should have waited five years.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id=70713
Old January 13, 2011, 06:46 PM   #317
alemonkey

That's the deal I just ordered. They were on the closeouts page, so I'm guessing quantities are limited.

Who is John Galt?
Old January 14, 2011, 12:41 AM   #318
Nematocyst

Quote:
Damn, I knew I should have waited five years.
I'm laughing over here ...

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old January 14, 2011, 09:51 AM   #319
DAdams

Snub Extravaganza

In addition to 642-2s w/o locks, there are 642-2s with CT Grips at a good price and even .442s at $361!!

Buy two and get a flat screen TV at Crazy Buds.

Last night Buds had their "high volume, please be patient" banners flying. Guess "high capacity" items were flying off the shelves in light of the current "situation".

Knew I sold that S&W stock a month too early.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:18 AM   #320
joepa150

Just received my Mika pocket holster! Now I can finally start carrying it.
Old January 19, 2011, 01:09 PM   #321
glockman19

Hello everyone...

belated Happy New Year.

I had a motorcycle accident on Christmas Eve. Broken leg.

I've been off my feet for a month now and hope to make it to the range sometime in the next week.
Old January 19, 2011, 03:01 PM   #322
motorcycle-charlie

sorry to hear about the accident glockman, at least you had some rideing weather on Christmas Eve. crashing sucks. been there. glad you seem to be ok.
Old January 19, 2011, 04:44 PM   #323
Nematocyst

G'man! Sorry to hear. Best well wishes!

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old January 19, 2011, 07:49 PM   #324
alemonkey

Woohoo! My 642 w/o lock came in today. I don't have my CCW yet so I can't carry it, but I stuck it in a cheapie IWB holster and carried it around the house. It's so light and thin that I completely forgot I was wearing it. In a good holster this thing should be perfect for every day carry. I'm 6'1, 190 and I wear dress pants most weekdays, so I needed something that was easy to conceal. Looks like I chose well. Now I need to get to the range and try it out.

Who is John Galt?
Old January 20, 2011, 10:14 PM   #325
warrconn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAdams View Post
In addition to 642-2s w/o locks, there are 642-2s with CT Grips at a good price and even .442s at $361!!

Buy two and get a flat screen TV at Crazy Buds.

Last night Buds had their "high volume, please be patient" banners flying. Guess "high capacity" items were flying off the shelves in light of the current "situation".

Knew I sold that S&W stock a month too early.
ordered a 442 from Bud's at $361...no shipping, and my FFL charges only 20 bucks. It'll be here tomorrow afternoon!