Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 15 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 31, 2011, 04:00 PM   #351
Scott30

I doubt you would get much improvement in the trigger pull since you have X,000 dry fires. Much of a trigger job is polishing the surfaces and you have done that naturally. You could change the rebound spring and hammer spring yourself with a Wolfe spring kit. Makes a huge difference. While you have the side plate off, get rid of all the factory lube with Brakeleen and relube. God luck.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:27 PM   #352
Yukon Gold

Smile 642

Please add me as your newest member
Old January 31, 2011, 04:46 PM   #353

Welcome to the club and forum Yukon. I've had mine for just over a month, and I really like it. I had trouble shooting accurately at first but then I found these tips and it has really helped tighten my groups. http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek2.html.

And the guys and girls on this forum are great they can answer pretty much any kind of gun question that you may have.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:52 PM   #354
308win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloy View Post
My 642 trigger has improved considerably over the last couple years with X,000 dry fires. Still, recently I've been contemplating a trigger job for further improvement either by the PC or a recommended gunsmith. After research (much here) I see the consensus is: don't do it, the liability is not worth the risk and when the SHTF, you don't need it anyway. I am good with that decision but thought I'd just get confirmation. I am not trying to lighten the pull necessarily but more likely smooth it further. (And no, I am not interested in switching to an LCR)
Thanks for any input.
The 642 isn't a target revolver. You have polished the bearing surfaces. You can have a pistol smith change the action geometry or sear surfaces or you can install different springs and chance the results but why? It is a handgun intended for self defense at close distances; none of these modifications will enhance that functionality and may impair it.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me
Old January 31, 2011, 04:59 PM   #355
SOUTHPAW

Question

I just noticed a spark from the firing pin when dry firing... Is this normal?

Our 2nd amendment ensures all others...
Old January 31, 2011, 07:31 PM   #356
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
I just noticed a spark from the firing pin when dry firing... Is this normal?
Anyone?

Old January 31, 2011, 08:21 PM   #357
308win

That silence you see is 100's of 642 owners sitting in dark rooms dry firing their 642s. I have never heard of this phenomenon. Are you sure that is what you saw? The frame is aluminum and I believe the firing pin hole has a steel (I am guessing) insert. You could be seeing some metal on metal reaction . . . I guess.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

Last edited by 308win; January 31, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:34 PM   #358
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
That silence you see is 100's of 642 owners sitting in dark rooms dry firing their 642s. I have never heard of this phenomenon. Are you sure that is what you saw? The frame is aluminum and I believe the firing pin hole has a steel (I am guessing) insert. You could be seeing some metal on metal reaction . . . I guess.
Ahahahahaha that's funny. Yeah it's definitely a small spark. You have to look very closely at the pin while it strikes. It happens 3-4/5 times... I should get some snap caps. LOL

Old January 31, 2011, 08:36 PM   #359
SOUTHPAW

I actually saw it in broad daylight too btw. I don't know what made me turn the gun to the side, but I caught it clear as day...

Old January 31, 2011, 09:19 PM   #360
bhk

This sparking is common and normal. It has been discussed a number of times over on the Smith and Wesson forum.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:05 PM   #361
SOUTHPAW

Thanks bhk. I'm a total 642 newb!

Old January 31, 2011, 11:48 PM   #362
alemonkey

My trigger has also smoothed out after a little bit of live shooting and thousands of dry fires. I now think it's about perfect for a CCW revolver. I wouldn't want it any lighter since I think the heavy trigger is a good safety feature. It's smooth though - like two sticks of butter rubbing against each other. 15 pound sticks of butter, but smooooooth.....

Who is John Galt?
Old February 1, 2011, 11:33 PM   #363
Nematocyst

New member needs help with handgun choice.

I'm recommending ... well, you know, what we shoot.

Note this interesting question:

Quote:
my biggest thing was why would you want a 45 over a 40 over a 38 or a 357 or a 9mm or a 22?
Well, why would you?

My answer: I wouldn't.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old February 2, 2011, 02:02 AM   #364
seethesvt

I joined the club 11 hrs ago. Instead of just 3 huge threads for the "642 club", why isn't there a separate forum? I got questions and digging through 15,000 posts isn't my idea of fun. Like carbon fiber grips!! I want carbon fiber grips!!
If that's not an option, where the best places to get grips? Mother of Pearl, wood, stuff like that. I got a 642-1, no lock $350 new. Sweet little gun.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:42 AM   #365
Brass Rain

I've been ping-ponging (is that a term?) back and forth between the Glock 26 and Smith 442 for a little while now. I keep telling myself that the Glock holds more rounds and a lighter trigger pull, therefor is better and I should pick that one. But I like revolvers more than autos in general, especially over the look of Glocks, though they have their own boxy charm. I know the 442 would be lighter and conceal easier, especially since I have to bend and move around a lot for work and live in a generally warm climate. And I just like it more. The main thing that concerns me is it would be harder to shoot well and, let's all be honest here: if one of us were afraid for our lives and had to defend ourselves with a handgun, we'd want a 100 round drum magazine if we could hide it somewhere.

Also, found this http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...__410__6_round when looking for speed strip wallets for .38 Special. Do .410 speed strips really exist?
Old February 2, 2011, 09:26 AM   #366
seethesvt

I have a Glock 19, and with a nice IWB holster they are pretty concealable. Holsters like the crossbreed super tuck or the holster store IWB holster.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:40 PM   #367
SOUTHPAW

Thumbs up

My new grips and holster came in today!

Old February 2, 2011, 09:35 PM   #368
joepa150

Nice Grips SOUTHPAW. Where did you get those? They look bulkier than the stock grips but they look like they could slide in and out of my pockets easily. Also have you shot with it yet?
Old February 2, 2011, 10:35 PM   #369
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Nice Grips SOUTHPAW. Where did you get those? They look bulkier than the stock grips but they look like they could slide in and out of my pockets easily. Also have you shot with it yet?
Thanks! They are factory S&W but they're manufactured by another company. They come in 2 or 3 finishes. I have black diamondwood Badgers on my SP101 so I figured I'd match them up.

They aren't any thicker than stock, they are about the same size but feel smaller for some reason... You are right, they are slicker in the pocket, but I only pocket carry it at home though...

Old February 2, 2011, 10:37 PM   #370
Nematocyst

^ Nice pic.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old February 2, 2011, 11:22 PM   #371
rdrancher

Here's a set from Altamont with the logo for comparison. These are a little too squared off at the bottom for my liking.

The 642 looked pretty good back a few years ago. It's a lot more pocket-worn now.

Last edited by rdrancher; February 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:24 PM   #372
Brass Rain

Southpaw, those grips look great. They look like they give enough clearance for speed loaders. Do they?
Old February 2, 2011, 11:46 PM   #373
seethesvt

I'd like grips that cover the back strap and go higher up. CARBON FIBER WOULD BE AWESOME!! I'm a huge carbon fiber fan.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:53 PM   #374
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Rain
Southpaw, those grips look great. They look like they give enough clearance for speed loaders. Do they?
Thanks! Like I said, they seem to be the same dimensions as the stock rubber grips, but I will check tomorrow and get back to you.

Old February 3, 2011, 01:10 AM   #375
Brass Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethesvt View Post
I'd like grips that cover the back strap and go higher up. CARBON FIBER WOULD BE AWESOME!! I'm a huge carbon fiber fan.
Yeah, carbon fiber does look really neat. Almost got a back-covering on my iPod touch that looked like it, but couldn't rationalize it considering it does basically nothing.