Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 16 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 3, 2011, 05:42 PM   #376
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Rain
Southpaw, those grips look great. They look like they give enough clearance for speed loaders. Do they?
Using speed reloaders, I am able to clear approx 1/2 of the casings overall length inside the cylinder. More than enough. Like I said, they seem to be the same demensions as the stock rubber...

Our 2nd amendment ensures all others...
Old February 3, 2011, 06:11 PM   #377
frank c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW View Post
My new grips and holster came in today!

Southpaw,I ordered 2 holsters from tommy,they should be here next week.Your holster looks great.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:17 PM   #378
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank c
Southpaw,I ordered 2 holsters from tommy,they should be here next week.Your holster looks great.
Thanks Frank! I've been wearing it (642) for the past 2 days, from 5:30 AM to about 6 PM. It's already molded to my body nicely. I carry for 12+ hours a day and spend 70-80% of that time in my car, and Tommy's holsters just plain work for me at the 3:30-5:00 position. I'm sure you'll love yours too.

Old February 3, 2011, 11:07 PM   #379
bill.l.johnson

Smile Had to come back and look around

Posted here 3 or 4 times since the start of the thread. Amazing!!

Old February 4, 2011, 12:23 AM   #380
Nematocyst

Quote:
Amazing!!
So true.

That such a little gun
could cause this much stir.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old February 4, 2011, 12:23 AM   #381
seethesvt

What grips did you get? I'm thinking hogue monogrip.
Old February 4, 2011, 12:26 AM   #382
Nematocyst

Quote:
I'm thinking hogue monogrip.
I highly recommend them.

Not suitable for pocket carry,
but if you want superb control,
they're the ones.

Old February 4, 2011, 01:02 AM   #383
seethesvt

Why not pocket carry? This is going to be my summertime EDC, but my hand is still swollen from shooting 50 rds yesterday. I like to go to the range alot, and I'd love to shoot the gun that I carry. But I'm also a mechanic and I need to use my hands at work everyday... I guess ill get the grips and figure it out for myself... or I could just get a nice padded shooting glove.....
Old February 4, 2011, 06:16 AM   #384
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethesvt
Why not pocket carry? This is going to be my summertime EDC, but my hand is still swollen from shooting 50 rds yesterday. I like to go to the range alot, and I'd love to shoot the gun that I carry. But I'm also a mechanic and I need to use my hands at work everyday... I guess ill get the grips and figure it out for myself... or I could just get a nice padded shooting glove.....
I'm guessing it's because the Hogue grips are large and the rubber is very tacky, which in turn will make the pistol more difficult to conceal and draw out...

My hand was also very sore after the first trip to the range with my 642 and 56 +P rounds in 5 minutes. A padded glove would work, but if it's a carry gun you also want to keep familiar with perceived recoil and control. So unless you're always wearing gloves, it might not be wise to practice with them...

I think I'm just going to deal with it. You could always just shoot it so often that you build a tolerance. . Eventually you're hand won't get sore and you'll be all set.

Last edited by SOUTHPAW; February 4, 2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:53 AM   #385
SOUTHPAW

Grips

For me personally, I searched out a snubby (the 642 in particular), due to it's concealability. Throwing a big grip on there would make it more comfortable for sure, but it would totally take away it's advantage for me. There's always a trade off. For deep concealment, small grips stay, for comfortable plinking, I just use my SP101...

Old February 4, 2011, 09:34 AM   #386
seethesvt

I wear big baggy pants and deep front pockets.I guess ill just get the grips and see.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:49 AM   #387
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
I wear big baggy pants and deep front pockets.I guess ill just get the grips and see.
If big grips are a must, I'd recommend going with wood, like the Hogues or Badger, etc. Rubber is just too sticky IMO, even with big pockets. Last thing you need is getting snagged up trying to draw. But the rubber Hogues are relatively cheap compared to wood, so give them a shot first...

Old February 4, 2011, 06:00 PM   #388
seethesvt

I don't see an option for quoting a post here, but the first pic on this page, what kinda grips are those? They look perfect!!!
Old February 4, 2011, 06:55 PM   #389
Nematocyst

seethesvt, to quote something, copy and paste what you want to quote into the message editing box at the bottom of this page,
highlight it, then click the little icon that looks like this.

Old February 4, 2011, 09:36 PM   #390
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
I don't see an option for quoting a post here, but the first pic on this page, what kinda grips are those? They look perfect!!!
My grips? They are factory aftermarket black diamondwood. And they are exactly the same size as the stock rubber grips...

Old February 5, 2011, 12:49 AM   #391
seethesvt

No, the ones 2 pics up, posted by bill Johnson.
Old February 5, 2011, 02:03 AM   #392
Gato Montés

Those are actually Crimson Trace 405 laser grips. They are not as long as the Hogue Monogrips as they do not have a place for the pinky if that is a concern. They do however have a nice rubber cushion that covers the top of the backstrap and does a good job of reducing felt recoil.

Oh, and they run about 200 dollars, so maybe start with the Mono's and go from there?

Rimfire, Rimfire Über Alles!!!
Old February 5, 2011, 03:41 AM   #393
Brass Rain

I've been looking at 642 grips, and the Pachmayr Compact looks like a good balance between recoil control (pinky indentation, covered backstrap) and concealment (rounded, slim, not tacky). Anyone have these? Apparently they don't clear speedloaders, but they could be shaved down if aesthetics weren't an issue.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:45 AM   #394
seethesvt

The pachmayr compac grips look alright, but the look really low in the back strap. I have large hands and need to choke up on the grips to shoot comfortably. I'm almost all the way to the top of the back strap.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:06 AM   #395
Stainz

Shameful admission. Forgive me, 642 brethren - I have strayed!

That's a 60 Pro - my newest - last month. Included, sob, is an HKS 36 with Remi +P 158gr LHPSWC's - actually, one from my 642's stash. That's a Buck Custom Shop 110 in royal blue Dymondwood, NS bolsters, & S30V blade - ~$85 delivered - made for moi, no less. A deal!

I got a set of the 60 Pro grips for my new 3" 63 - looks like a regular 3" 60 - with an 8-shot .22 rimfire cylinder & barrel. I wanted another set of those 60 Pro grips - for my 642, yeah, that's the ticket. They were back-ordered at S&W, so I found this pair at my local S&W pusher... they were attached to a new 60 Pro... it called to me... It says .357 Magnum on it... hope it likes +P .38's!

Stainz

PS All is forgiven... the 642, in a Mika holster, is in my pocket... the 60 Pro is in the safe...
Old February 5, 2011, 11:28 AM   #396
motorcycle-charlie

no need to be forgiven Stainz, nice pro there. i think just about everyone in the 642 club is not only an x42 owner, but a revolver lover as well. keep those wheels turnin.
Old February 5, 2011, 05:36 PM   #397
fivewheeler

aim point

Hi,

I just got my 642 used. It only had about 40 rounds through it. I don't have much experience with the snub yet (maybe 40 rounds). I notice that I shoot low and to the right very consistently. I'm using Winchester 130 gr fmj target. I know the lighter shells shoot a bit lower but I'm shooting low 3 or 4 inches even at 7 feet. It is also maybe 4 inches to the right. If I am aiming at the center of a clock I'm hitting at about 4 o'clock. I've tried different ways of gripping (including Muculeck's J-frame) and still hit at 4 0'clock. I've dry fired it 1,000 times and cleaned the internals out with Rem-oil. Any suggestions? I know I need much more practice but I don't really now what to change to get different results. Oh yeah I have the standard factory grips and medium size hands.
Old February 5, 2011, 06:20 PM   #398
308win

Study this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pistol-Correction.pdf (6.5 KB, 33 views)

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old February 5, 2011, 07:47 PM   #399
mance

I have a technical question.

I rented and shot a larger Smith & Wesson at a range today. I can't remember the model, but it was DA/SA. I chose to fire it DA since I plan to buy a 642 very soon. I detected a faint "click" feeling this gun's trigger just before the hammer released. Once I noticed this, I began squeezing relatively quickly until I felt the click and then slowly until it fired.

Is this how the factory trigger feels on the 642 as well? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old February 5, 2011, 07:59 PM   #400
glassman

Stainz...I fixed it for you!