Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 28 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 30, 2011, 10:23 PM   #676
alemonkey

Just a quick FYI. If you're pouring cement you may want to take your 642 out of your Mika pocket holster and stick it in the truck. When an 80lb bag of cement decides to leak cement into your pocket it's not a good thing, if you're pocket carrying. Time for a detail strip.

Who is John Galt?
Old May 1, 2011, 02:56 AM   #677
sixgunner455

Any kind of powdered anything will do that - dirt, sand, compost, etc. Good luck with the cleaning!

If you can't hit a snake at 20 feet with a 12 gauge, you ain't gonna hit a dove, either. -McGunner
Old May 1, 2011, 10:25 AM   #678
Sassi

A good point Alemonkey! I learned too that it pays to remove your gun from your pocket if you are putting out fertilizer. It ate the bluing right off an old gun I have. I make a mental note now that I carry my 642 to be sure and take it out of my pocket when I am putting out fertilizer.
Old May 1, 2011, 07:24 PM   #679
jester88

whats the best way to clean a 642 airweight? i dont want to use anything that may hurt the finish, particularly the alloy frame.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:32 PM   #680
Photoman

I use M-Pro7 to clean all my 642's.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:19 PM   #681
Old Bull Lee

Speaking of grips, I have a couple of questions about this one. One of these questions may be considered dumb.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1756

This is a "round butt" grip, will it still fit securely onto a 642? (edited to clarify: I wasn't sure if they were talking about the butt of the gun's frame or just what shape the grip was)

Is this one of the grips that will work with speedloaders?
Old May 3, 2011, 12:35 PM   #682
sixgunner455

The 642 is a round butt. That Hogue will fit your 642 just fine.

As far as speeloaders go - that grip looks like it is relieved to allow speedloader use, but until you actually get one and install it, there's no real way to know if it will work in your hands and with your technique.

If you can't hit a snake at 20 feet with a 12 gauge, you ain't gonna hit a dove, either. -McGunner
Old May 3, 2011, 12:38 PM   #683
Old Bull Lee

Thank you sir. I have long hands and fingers so the increased grip would be worth $25. Speedloader compatibility would be a bonus.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:55 PM   #684
sixgunner455

No problem.

Old May 5, 2011, 01:50 PM   #685
Stormin.40

This may be a stupid question but how do I search in the 642 club?

I am looking for information on the Renegade Cozy Partner, I have a 642 so I need the cozy partner model number that works best with the hammerless j-frame, looking at the 50 or 500 right?

I know it has been covered 2-3 hundred times so I just want to search the club not all of THR.

Last edited by Stormin.40; May 5, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 03:46 PM   #686
DAdams

Stormin

http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=8792136

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...q=cozy+partner
Old May 5, 2011, 04:04 PM   #687
Stormin.40

DAdams, I have searched THR but was wondering if there was a way to search in just the 642 club? Seems that just a google search is really the best way to get to the right page on the thread.

I am looking at renegade's cozy not desantis' cozy, kind of confusing they both make a cozy partner?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:22 PM   #688
Old Bull Lee

Stormin.40 - At the top of the page right below the thread page numbers you'll see a "Search this Thread" button (of course you would have to search each Part individually). That was one of my first questions when I joined.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:46 PM   #689
Nematocyst

Checking in during the busiest time of the last two years.

And any who know me will say, "Wait, you can't be
busier than what you dealt with
during the last
two years."

Yes, I am.

As DA, MSAA, would say,
Strap on that snub, carry on,
and smoke'm if you've got em.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 6, 2011, 10:31 AM   #690
Old Bull Lee

I've ordered the Hogue monogrip. I'll post a short report of how well it works and if it works with speedloaders or not (assuming that information is not somewhere in the other millions of pages of these threads).

Nematocyst - did you just post a Robert Crumb drawing in a gun forum? You are the man.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:37 PM   #691
DAdams

Nem-

Quote:
Checking in during the busiest time of the last two years.
That's a good thing since you know idle hands are the tools of

Including Mandatory 642 Content

The MSAA Sez at Eze

Last edited by DAdams; May 6, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:06 PM   #692
warrconn

Mr. Natural! I haven't thought of that R. Crumb character in years!
Old May 9, 2011, 03:33 AM   #693
Gato MontÚs

I"m wondering, how often do you guys clean the internals of your 642's? I'm at the 1000 round mark and have yet to pop off the side plate, kinda afraid to see what's inside.Usually I just spray some brake cleaner into the insides with my revolvers but I don't know how well the clear coat will hold up to that.

Rimfire, Rimfire ▄ber Alles!!!
Old May 9, 2011, 04:33 AM   #694
sixgunner455

I'd hesitate to use brake cleaner if you're worried about the clear coat.

I have removed the sideplate of my 642 one time, just following Kuhnhausen's directions, to see if it worked. I haven't felt any desire to remove it since. It has been a number of years. I don't believe it needs to be done often.

Old May 9, 2011, 10:42 AM   #695
scottishclaymore

RE: Old Bull Lee - I have those particular grips and they work with HKS speedloaders just fine. Good luck.

Executive Editor, The Excelsior Training Group.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:03 AM   #696
RetDep310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bull Lee View Post
I've ordered the Hogue monogrip. I'll post a short report of how well it works and if it works with speedloaders or not (assuming that information is not somewhere in the other millions of pages of these threads).

Nematocyst - did you just post a Robert Crumb drawing in a gun forum? You are the man.
Old Bull...speedloaders will work with the Hogue Monogrip. At least they do with mine. Those grips make shooting the j-frame much easier, and hide ok with deep pockets.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:33 PM   #697
alemonkey

How does the Hogue compare size-wise with the standard grip? I would like to get something that works better with a speedloader, since the factory grips make it very difficult. I don't want anything any bigger though. If it kept the factory profile with the exception of the speedloader cutout it would be ideal. I also want to make sure I don't get anything tackier than the factory grips. I find even those grips sometimes want to hang up on clothing.

Who is John Galt?
Old May 10, 2011, 11:08 AM   #698
sixgunner455

Hogue makes several styles of grip. The Bantam is similar size to the factory grip - not longer than the frame, IOW, on the J-frame. On the K-frame, the Bantam is slightly longer to allow for the pinky finger, but it doesn't really add to the bulk of the grip.

The Monogrip, on the other hand, is longer than the grip frame, regardless of model, due to the stirrup-and-screw attachment, and the attempt to give a real, full grip.

Both are designed to work with speedloaders.

Old May 10, 2011, 08:21 PM   #699
alemonkey

Is the Hogue stickier than the factory grip?

Who is John Galt?
Old May 10, 2011, 09:34 PM   #700
DAdams

Quote:
Is the Hogue stickier than the factory grip
IIRC the Monogrip if that is what you are referring to (I don't have the Bantams) is softer and has a more aggressive grip pattern.

I think they are still around $20, it is amazing how they tame an X42. It makes it a totally different shooting experience.

In the Mika