Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 39 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 4, 2011, 11:48 AM   #951
Stormin.40

Tony the Tiger,

Quote:
Re: the BB lead loads - all lead rounds tend to jump crimp a bit in lighter guns. This has not been a problem for me in any Corbon DPX or Speer JHP load i've tested in firearms that weight 10 - 20 ounces. Chances are if you contact BB they'll make it right by you.
The loads I questioned were not in my 642 when fired. I still have the rounds in question.

I thought BB would make good as I don't see how an increase in 0.02" in OAL is acceptable, I would never except a +/- 0.02' on my reloads. I cannot narrow down exactly when the OAL increased and I didn't check the OAL when I purchased them from Cabela's, I simply noticed the difference in crimp on the bullet and choose to measure. Below is the response I received...

Quote:
If the bullets have moved forward in the case, something had to do that as they are tightly crimped, plus we undersize the virgin case to put tension on the bullet shank. In any event, they are safe to fire. Take care.

Tim
I am not claiming that BB has a major quality issue, however, it is my personnal decision not to carry their loads any longer. Each individual needs to make their own decision on carry ammo.
Old November 4, 2011, 11:53 AM   #952
308win

Frankly, given the manufacturing processes that Tim from BB is claiming are in place, my conclusion is that BB does have a QC issue that need to be resolved.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old November 6, 2011, 08:10 AM   #953
dcludwig

Help on removing ILS!

Okay, I bought the plug to fill the hole left when the ILS is removed and I've watched the you-tube video and thought it seemed simple enough. I got to the part where I removed the flag. Now, the video doesn't show removal of the entire ILS and I'm not sure how easily this comes out?

Can someone help me with this? I am assuming the spring has to be pulled back far enough that it "releases" the lock mechanism, correct? Is seems to be difficult to remove without really pulling and possibly damaging that spring. I don't intend on replacing the ILS or selling my 642, so if it does some damage to it, I don't mind. I am missing something here?

TIA
Old November 6, 2011, 08:18 AM   #954
dcludwig

Help on removing ILS!

AHHH... figured it out. All done. ILS removed, plug installed. Happy camper.

Last edited by dcludwig; November 6, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:08 PM   #955
Photoman

Sorry for the delay guys. The pocket holster was made by Jon and Manique Peters. It is an excellent hip pocket holster.

http://www.peterscustomleather.com/
Old November 6, 2011, 11:09 PM   #956
Photoman

Happy to hear you got he lock out cdludwig. I have one 642 that came with the lock and I removed it. I never had any problem with the lock but it's just one less thing to have to think about.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:23 PM   #957
dcludwig

Quote:
Happy to hear you got he lock out cdludwig. I have one 642 that came with the lock and I removed it. I never had any problem with the lock but it's just one less thing to have to think about.
Thanks. I DO feel better having it out. I think the odds were miniscule that in the time of crisis, the lock would fail...but why even have that miniscule chance if it can be eliminated. The plug looks pretty good. As I carry this for purely SD, the aesthetics don't bother me nearly so much as the functionality. The video was a great help (except for that last part of removing the entire ILS. I love the 642 (though having seen some nice pics of the 442 I think I could have gone that way too!
Old November 10, 2011, 07:37 PM   #958
YJake

Guess I'll stop lurking...

I picked up my no lock 442-1 today as a gift to myself for... Okay, no reason really I have just been drooling over one for months!

I have only shot one round through it so far when I got home because I could not contain my excitment until I went to the range in a couple of weeks. I have a few observations I have made in this thread/ sub-forum...

-Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP +P is the "Bomb"

-Mika pocket holsters work.

-Pachmayr Compacs are comfy.

-These shoot P.O.A. with 158gr bullets.

-Snubbies > Pocket autoloaders.

Did I miss anything?

-Jake
Old November 13, 2011, 11:26 PM   #959
BradGad

New Shoes for the 642

I haven't posted pics here before... not sure I'll do it right...

Anywhoo...

I love my 642. It's been a constant companion since I got it, either in my front pocket or in/on the nightstand here beside me.

But, I've never been 100% happy with the stock boot grips. They're good and grabby, that's for sure... keeps the revolver from falling out of my pocket. But A) sometimes, when I'm trying to draw quick and clean, my fingers get hung up on the grips, and B) sometimes the grippy boot grips grip the lining of my pocket, and draw it out with the gun, making it harder to draw (the pocket bunches up), and C) I never feel like I have a positive grip on the revolver when I'm shooting... it feels squirmy in my hand.

So... picked these up today... Eagle Secret Service grips... ebony smooth...

I haven't had a chance to shoot yet (will do this weekend, prolly)... but man, early report... the grip feels so much better -- with lots of dry firing -- so much more positive. I draw, and instead of feeling like I need to feel around, it's there... I can just grip and go... it feels locked. And, I've done dozens of practice draws, and haven't yet got my fingers hung up going in. And it ignores the lining of the pocket... slides right out.

So... I'm thinking I'm really liking these grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64201.jpg (57.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 64202.jpg (54.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 64203.jpg (51.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 64206.jpg (61.6 KB, 80 views)
Old November 14, 2011, 09:10 AM   #960
308win

You should try a good pocket holster - can't go wrong with a Mika. That will help with the grips grabbing the pocket issue but may not completely solve it. I put smooth S&W wooden furniture on my 642. I can shoot it better, it isn't as bulky, and they definitely don't grab the pocket material.

Old November 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #961
BradGad

>You should try a good pocket holster

I do plan to try the Mika... hear such great things about it. But, I'm pretty happy with my DeSantis Nemesis. Not as pleased with the Kramer, but it does work well in narrow pockets.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:53 AM   #962
DAdams

Y'all have a bountiful Thanksgiving.

Old November 19, 2011, 12:53 PM   #963
glockman19

It's been a while....Just wanted to say Hello to by 642 Brothers...and sisters.

Happy Holidays.

I will be updating the 642 Club member list and stats over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Glockman19
Old November 19, 2011, 02:36 PM   #964
308win

What is Nematocyst up to? Has anyone heard from him? He just kind of disappeared.

Old November 19, 2011, 04:35 PM   #965
DAdams

Hey .308 nice to see few of the legacy faces.

Quote:
What is Nematocyst up to? Has anyone heard from him? He just kind of disappeared.
He is alive and seemingly ok, living in New England. We swapped emails a month or so ago.
I think he is busy with his work.

JT1 is the guy I haven't heard from in a long time. I'm sure KiNg fiVe will pop in one of these days.

glockman thanks for bringing the list up to date.

At Ease. Smokem If You Gottem Gents.
MSA. Eyes Open.

Last edited by DAdams; November 19, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old November 19, 2011, 04:50 PM   #966
GGF

Just added a no-lock 642 to my little collection of j frames...

... and it's a snappy little handfull with 125gr Remington +P's.

GGF
Old November 19, 2011, 05:39 PM   #967
DAdams

GGF, nice "little" collection indeed.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:46 AM   #968
lg&m

Happy Thanksgiving All I think my 642 will be with me today to Handel any unwanted turkeys.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:06 AM   #969
308win

What are you going to do - sing Messiah at them until they surrender?

Old November 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #970
1/7GRUNT

Anybody know where to buy the smooth wood grips with medallions? Any websites?
Thanks in advance
Old November 25, 2011, 07:32 AM   #971
308win

I got mine off ebay.

Old November 25, 2011, 11:57 AM   #972
tguil

Altamont. Give them a call. They can fix you up with our without medallions. They make the grips for S&W. It is much less expensive to order directly from them. Short turn-around time. http://www.altamontco.com/products/p...rame/index.php
Old November 26, 2011, 09:51 PM   #973
rodpumas

Tnx tguil

Thanks for giving us the link for the grips.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:13 PM   #974
sc1911cwp

I picked up a 442 NoLock this past Saturday. I've been thinking about getting into one since I came across a Snubbie Forum awhile back. Now I just need to pick up a Holster and speedstrips. Hopefuly this weekend I'll get to the range.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:12 AM   #975
Gato MontÚs

I upgraded today!

These 60 Pro grips are the BEE'S KNEES! Super comfortable and are still pocketable. Totally worth the fifty bucks!

Special thanks to Stainz and TexasBill for making me spend more of my money!

Rimfire, Rimfire ▄ber Alles!!!