Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 4 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 17, 2010, 03:26 AM   #76
BamaUmp

OK another newbie question. Sorry if this has been covered here before. I should be picking up my NIB 642 in the next few weeks. Trying to buy Christmas for 3 kids forced me to go the layaway route at a local pond shop. They charged no extra fees and I will get to use the 50 rebate so its not so bad other than having to wait. This will be the first revolver I've ever owed/fired. What prep do I need to do to the 642 before I take it the range for the first time. I assume clean and lube first but I hope to keep this gun and pass it down to my kids in 20-30 years so I want to make sure I start out the right way.
Old November 17, 2010, 01:34 PM   #77
camsdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Does this holster for a 642 exist? I'm thinking of an IWB holster where the clip is high enough so that the gun is at or below the belt line. I'm thinking of carrying my 642 Appendix style IWB.
I hope to know it that low riding appendix holster is available. I have one being made current.y. I can tell you a few that arent low enough.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:42 PM   #78
scottishclaymore

Cleaning and lubing is about all you need to do. I would also advise getting two or three different loadouts of target ammunition so you can see how they pattern and print. FYI, the 642's sights seem to be dead-on with 158 gr. bullets. At any rate, figure out a load that works for you, and then stick to it. And practice, practice, practice.

Executive Editor, The Excelsior Training Group.
Old November 17, 2010, 04:12 PM   #79
RetDep310

A little off topic, but I have to vent!!! Purchased a 642 a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to get a Fobus paddle holster for the occasional OWB carry, and range carry. I am left-handed, so I thought Fobus might have a left hand version for j-frames, considering they are one of the most popular guns ever made. Think they would have one? No! E-mailed Fobus, and they said sorry, no left-hand holsters for the j's. Had plenty for other lesser makes. I know there are other left hand shooters out there that have j-frames, even though we only make up around 20% of the population. There, I feel better now!
Old November 17, 2010, 09:49 PM   #80
BamaUmp

Does anyone have a Utah CCW. Just wondering if its worth the effort and money. Currently I have an Alabama CCW but do travel with my job quite often.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:59 PM   #81
whitecoyote

Thumbs up

Does this count? S&W 340 M&P (no lock).

Last edited by whitecoyote; November 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old November 17, 2010, 10:37 PM   #82
Nematocyst

WhiteCoyote,

That definitely counts.

But I suspect you're looking for the 340 M&P Club.

Our Master Sargeant at Arms (MSAA) - DA - is founder there.

Even though 340 owners are always welcome here,
we're focused on x42s and related .38 spl airweights.

But again, you can still hangout.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old November 17, 2010, 11:24 PM   #83
whitecoyote

Quote:
WhiteCoyote,

That definitely counts.

But I suspect you're looking for the 340 M&P Club.

Our Master Sargeant at Arms (MSAA) - DA - is founder there.

Even though 340 owners are always welcome here,
we're focused on x42s and related .38 spl airweights.

But again, you can still hangout.

Nem
Thanks for the heads up.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:26 PM   #84
DAdams

WhiteCoyote

Most excellent. Very nice M&P 340 sans ILS. The ultimate J Frame. So I guess they really do exist.

Come on over to the 340 Thread and join us.

Last edited by DAdams; November 18, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 09:28 PM   #85
DAdams

Quote:
Aw, now, you have to go and have the audacity to call a 340 "the ultimate j-frame" over heah in the x42 club?!
Just what I was looking for and much faster rise time than anticipated!!

You know how much I like the company around here and I DO have a 642.

642 price. I was looking through a recent CDNN Catalog. They have 642s for $368 plus reasonable shipping. That price with the Snubby $50 rebate is quite a reasonable price.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
Old November 18, 2010, 11:25 PM   #86
BamaUmp

Guess I can officially join the club now. Picked up my 642 today along with an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster until I can order one from Mika and a box of ammo. Sitting here following advice dry firing driving my wife nuts
Old November 18, 2010, 11:34 PM   #87
BamaUmp

Grip question. I'm ok with the size of the factory grips but they are a little hard for me. I think I'd prefer something a little softer. I know it will grab fabric easier but I'm going to pocket carry so its not as much of a factor. Can anyone recommend something I can look at. I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm watching the Alabama game and dont want to go looking right now

Also is it best to just never mess with the internal lock?

Last edited by BamaUmp; November 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old November 19, 2010, 08:51 AM   #88
19-3Ben

As a carry load, I'm very seriously considering the FBI load (158gr. LSWCHP) from Federal.
Do I have to worry about bullets jumping crimp under recoil?
Old November 19, 2010, 09:15 AM   #89
_CY_

340PD with .357 is my CCW ... guess I'll head for the 340 M&P thread ...

Last edited by _CY_; November 19, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old November 19, 2010, 09:41 AM   #90
308win

Quote:
As a carry load, I'm very seriously considering the FBI load (158gr. LSWCHP) from Federal. Do I have to worry about bullets jumping crimp under recoil?
Excellent choice. That load is the load that the 642's sights are set up for as far as POA/POI. You won't have to worry about set back or walk out as long as you have a good crimp.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me
Old November 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #91
scottishclaymore

That is the load I carry in all three of my daily carry guns, the 642 included. I've never had any issues with bullets jumping crimp.

Old November 19, 2010, 04:12 PM   #92
DAdams

CY

Quote:
340PD with .357 is my CCW ... guess I'll head for the 340 M&P thread ...
Come on over. In fact you might put your .02 and expertise in on your 340PD for this person.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=555829
Old November 19, 2010, 04:51 PM   #93
BamaUmp

Picked up some Hogue Bantams today. They seem to be decent and provide that softer feel I was looking for. Will post pics tonight.
Old November 19, 2010, 08:39 PM   #94
BamaUmp

Well here is what I have.

Just using an Uncle Mikes #3 until I get the chance to order a Mika. Cheap Coleman LED flashlight, Gerber Applegate Covert Folder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (135.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (115.6 KB, 81 views)
Old November 19, 2010, 09:59 PM   #95
DAdams

Bama

You have your personal defense bases well covered there now!! That holster will serve you well until the Mika arrives. What is Robert's lead time these days?
How do you like that Applegate. I have always been Gerber fan, I think they are a good value for the $$. One of these days I may have to add one of those to my PD carry arsenal. I almost bought one the other day at that Sportsmans place in Smyrna I was telling you about. Good set-up you have there. Beware the wolves at your door.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:58 PM   #96
BamaUmp

I'm not sure about his lead time I will probably order after the 1st of the year. As far as the Gerber goes so far I love it. Prices are pretty good, I picked mine up on ebay. Think I paid around $50 including shipping but its worth more. I feel pretty confident I have personal defense covered as well. Looking into the Utah CCW to cover me in a few more states than my Alabama CCW.
Old November 20, 2010, 04:47 AM   #97
Gato MontÚs

Shot the 642 for the first time a couple days ago and WOW, that little bugger really lives up to its reputation! That was with +P 158gr SWC mind you; with 148gr wadcutters she's a real hoot to shoot.

Rimfire, Rimfire ▄ber Alles!!!
Old November 20, 2010, 03:29 PM   #98
BamaUmp

Shot my 642 for the first time yesterday as well. Lets just say I need a couple more trips to the range before I feel comfortable. Lets just say its not point and shoot like a Glock
Old November 20, 2010, 07:39 PM   #99
scottishclaymore

It is true, what you say. Let me encourage you to practice, practice, practice. Ultimately the 642 can be a very rewarding gun to shoot, but it takes more practice and more skill than larger guns. Once you get proficient, it's very satisfying to be able to do the same thing with an airweight snub that most people can do with a full-size autoloader.

Old November 20, 2010, 08:18 PM   #100
rodpumas

Utah CCW

BamaUmp said "Looking into the Utah CCW to cover me in a few more states than my Alabama CCW. "

Hi neighbor!

Why not apply for our non resident FL CCW?

Rod