Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 47 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 18, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1151
Nematocyst

Welcome to the club, Sam.

May you keep it going when the founders are long gone.

Took a look at that little Ruger. Hadn't seen it before. Nice gun.

You'll probably like your new 442 better, though.
Not only lighter, but simpler; fewer moving parts.

I look forward to pics.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old August 19, 2012, 12:07 AM   #1152
sam05

i'm very pleased with this little revolver, to be so incredibly light weight yet not free like a toy. the learning curve is quiet different from any other firearm i have owned, but i think with a little (ok alot) of practice i will be as good with it as i am with any of my other handguns.

thanks
sam from kentucky

just a thought, what is 38 special running in other places? i think i paid like 35 or 36 bucks for 100 rounds of winchester white box.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1153
DAdams

Comparison Photos

We use the X42 and this thread as a bellweather for other handguns. I recently puchased a Boberg XR9-S so I thought I would share and contrast the two. 642 shown with CT 305 grips.

X42 5 rounds of .38 spl and including plus P
XR9 8 rounds of 9mm and including plus P

Weight
X42 15 oz
XR9 17

Price is about double for the Boberg.

Old August 28, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1154
Tony_the_tiger

What gives, DA... no pumpkins?
Old August 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1155
DAdams

Pumpkins

Thats funny Tony.
After Labor Day. have to get Summer behind us and ready for harvest time.
You are indeed an attentive member of the Club.

Last edited by DAdams; August 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1156
Nematocyst

^ Hahahahahaha....
______

On the road a lot until October, with very scarce I'net connections (see location;
one town north of here has the last traffic light before you hit Canada, over 100 mi north).

I'll be a bit scarce in the club house til then ...

Old September 4, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1157
Tahitian.Ted

Need Help

Hi Friends! I am new member. As I go over my new 642-2, I find that if I wanted to I would be able to fire in either DA or SA! When I apply pressure to the trigger I feel and hear a second "click"just before the hammer strikes. I continue pressure and fire Or I can release the trigger and return hammer without firing. Am now confused! What do you think? Thanks for your time and help.
Old September 4, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1158
308win

Normal. You can with practice stage the hammer but not a practice you want to rely on in a pressure situation as your small muscle coordination will undoubtedly desert you.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old September 4, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1159
Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308win View Post
Normal. You can with practice stage the hammer but not a practice you want to rely on in a pressure situation as your small muscle coordination will undoubtedly desert you.
This exactly.

I would never intentionally pull the trigger unless the gun firing at any time while you are pulling the trigger is 100% acceptable to you. For shooting nice groups at the range, sure, stage the trigger. For practicing for defensive use or using defensively...I'd rather not. One smooth pull is what I'd go for.

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
― Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1160
Tahitian.Ted

reppliy to my thread.

Thanks for such a quick reply. I was not very clear in the way I wrote the thread. I realize that I would only rely on one smooth trigger pull in any "real" situation.I was just surprised when I could see that it was possible to S/A. and that I thought that was not possible. The 642 is not a target piece but I was interested to know at a target I could try to use S/A for accuracy. Sorry I was not clear with my question. Just surprised that this was possible. Thanks again.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1161
Tony_the_tiger

The term is "staging" the trigger. It is still double-action. The cylinder locks into place just before firing. Smith & Wesson makes a point to warn you against staging the trigger in their revolver manual that should have been supplied to you upon purchase of the firearm. The firearm should be shot with one defined single trigger pull. There should only be a modicum of force needed to fire after the cylinder locks. I had a firearm that was staging the trigger whether I intended to or not, and sent it back to S&W whom repaired the ratchet. The cylinder should always lock as part of cycling the action and firing, but firing should not be delayed.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:20 PM   #1162
Tahitian.Ted

"Staging the trigger"

I could not find any information in the paperwork that came with the gun. And as you can see had no idea of what Staging the trigger meant.Again Thanks I am learning something new every day Ted
Old September 7, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1163
otteray

Well here you go then:
Page 20 of the manual that comes with every firearm S&W_Revolver_Manual.pdf

WARNING: “STAGING” THE TRIGGER VIOLATES A
BASIC RULE OF FIREARM SAFETY WHICH WARNS
YOU TO KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER
GUARD UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE THE COMMITMENT TO
FIRE. “STAGING” CREATES A SERIOUS RISK OF PERSONAL
INJURY OR DEATH SINCE IT MAY LEAD TO AN UNINTENTIONAL
DISCHARGE.

• It has come to our attention that some users of Smith &
Wesson handguns may stage the trigger in anticipation of
firing a shot. Staging is the act of pulling the trigger rearward
toward — stopping just short of — the point where the
hammer falls and the handgun fires. Such manipulation of
the trigger can reduce the userʼs control of the handgun and
can result in an unintentional discharge. Furthermore if the
user decides not to fire, release of the trigger from a position
close to the firing point in the staging process could result in
an unintended discharge.

Last edited by otteray; September 7, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: added link
Old September 10, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1164
IBEWBULL

I have had this 640 since sometime before 1994.
The Grips are Grasshorn.
This is one I will never sell.
It rides ain a Bianchi R9, 01 Desantis or my newest and one of the besr belt rigs a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar. Has also been in a pocket or two.
The trigger is like glass and the only modification done excluding grips, has been a trigger stop [ pencil eraser ] glued to the back of the trigger and the front sight is painted white.
Oh I forgot the trigger was dehorned on the sharp side edges too.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1165
ugaarguy

Checking back in after a long absence here, and an absence of J Frame ownership. I recently purchased what may be my grail of J Frames - a no lock 638-2. It has the infamous crackling finish, but that let me pick it up used at a good price.

That also brings a question for you fine folks: Has anyone stripped the crackling finish off the top of the aluminum and used Brownell's aluma-black or a similar product with good results?
Old September 15, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1166
colorado_handgunner

Just joined the club yesterday. Traded my LCP that I hated for this 642 beauty. Got it used, but it looks as if it has only been shot maybe once. Between trade and used only cost me $150. Took it out to the range today and it shoots beautifully.

Got a Galco pocket holster for now, but have a Mika's on the way due to the recommendations in this forum.

Cheers!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old September 15, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1167
DAdams

Welcome CH. nice to have you join us.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1168
jad0110

Location: Somewhere between the Eastern Block states and Florida
Yes, welcome to the club! Now you need to carry it and put some nice, honest holster wear on it! Mine is looking properly worn, there's even a little paint flaking off the frame below the barrel and on the backstrap, a badge of honor IMHO. I recall being saddened when it went back to S&W to have the crane adjusted (I tripped in the garage and fell on it ... hurt it as much as it hurt me). While it was there they replaced the barrel since the b/c gap was .011. Had a nice amount of finish wear on that original barrel. The new one is finally starting to look proper though . Got mine riding backup duty tonight to my 3" .44 Special Taurus. Perfect gun for me in that role, though it does still get to ride primary on some days.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1169
colorado_handgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad0110 View Post
Yes, welcome to the club! Now you need to carry it and put some nice, honest holster wear on it! Mine is looking properly worn, there's even a little paint flaking off the frame below the barrel and on the backstrap, a badge of honor IMHO. I recall being saddened when it went back to S&W to have the crane adjusted (I tripped in the garage and fell on it ... hurt it as much as it hurt me). While it was there they replaced the barrel since the b/c gap was .011. Had a nice amount of finish wear on that original barrel. The new one is finally starting to look proper though . Got mine riding backup duty tonight to my 3" .44 Special Taurus. Perfect gun for me in that role, though it does still get to ride primary on some days.
Mine is primary right now. With temperatures still in the upper 80s in South Carolina, pocket carry is working nicely. Likely it will serve as primary more often than not, even in the winter. The best Cary gun is the one I will actually take with me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1170
Nematocyst

DA, Jad, Uga ... wow, like the old days here in the club.

Now if JT, FiVe and some other older members would show up ...

Old September 18, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1171
DAdams

+1 on some of the early on'ers. jt's silence for so long is troubling.
I'm sure K5 is looking over our shoulder.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1172
ugaarguy

Yeah! We're gettin the band back together!
Old September 19, 2012, 11:38 PM   #1173
Nematocyst

The band needs more cowbell.

I mean, more 135 gr Speer gold dot.

Old September 20, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1174
DAdams

And More Pumpkins

Old September 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1175
DAdams

Or Late Season Romas

Fresh from the vine garnished with seasonal 38SPLPPSGDFSB135gr