Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 54 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 23, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1326
Jframenewbee

Delete

Last edited by Jframenewbee; May 25, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1327
Nematocyst

For subsequent posts of that pic, go to Attachments in your user profile, find the image, copy the URL, etc.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 23, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1328
Warp

The images in the last two posts (bottom of page 53, so three and four posts up from this one) do not show up for me.

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
― Theodore Roosevelt
Old May 25, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1329
rromeo

I'm back in the club. Actually, I will be official next week when I pick it up.
My old one was pre-lock, this one has a lock.
Old June 2, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1330
rdrancher

I was uploading some pics from a job I did last week (replacing a crushed 36" culvert pipe) and noticed the 642 made an appearance. Thought I'd share.

I've done quite a few jobs in this area in the past and water moccasins are a big problem. I had guys on the ground, so better safe than sorry.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1331
Nematocyst

^ Now THAT is a classic pic right there.

Old June 4, 2013, 07:51 PM   #1332
marv

I have a half dozen snubs but no '42 yet. Have no particular desire for a 642 but a 442 is on my list of to-get guns. Would that count?
Old June 4, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1333
Nematocyst

Quote:
...but a 442 is on my list of to-get guns. Would that count?
Absolutely.

I'd rather have a 442 than a 642. (I prefer black, but didn't know about 442 when I bought my 642.)

Old June 4, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1334
beatledog7

My next snub (when I run out of reasons not to buy any more guns) will be a 442, so I can give my 642 a break.

Proverbs 29:26, AKJV
Old June 5, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1335
fiVe

rdrancher: Great pic! A man -- his tractor -- and his 642.

(Nice grips and I believe that is a Mika pocket holster.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrancher View Post
I was uploading some pics from a job I did last week (replacing a crushed 36" culvert pipe) and noticed the 642 made an appearance. Thought I'd share.

I've done quite a few jobs in this area in the past and water moccasins are a big problem. I had guys on the ground, so better safe than sorry.
Old June 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1336
bandur60

After years (decades, actually) of telling myself "They look funny", I am a new 642 owner. To carry, I wanted to try a 3-slot leather holster and have the crossdraw capability, the second one came today and fits (NOT) just like the first. Both are for the external hammer J-frame, even though the application charts say either one fits the 642, no way is the thumb snap gonna wrap around my handgun. First was Bianchi, now El Paso, both from Midway. They're covering the return shipping this time,but it's still frustrating. IWB is easy to find but I'd really like to try this 3-slot. Do I have to go with a custom maker or is there another company I haven't found? These are in the $60 range. Thanks....

ETA last time I specifically asked the CSR if it would fit the 642 and got a "Yup, no problem." Evidently the application chart said so, therefore ---------
Old June 5, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1337
HeavyDuty

My 642 should start getting more use in a few months now that IL is finally getting CCW. I have a FL now and have only carried a few times per year when traveling.

To celebrate I ordered a Lobo snap-loop crossdraw to supplant my old DeSantis IWB - we'll have a lot of GFZs here, so easy on / easy off is important.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1338
Dr. K

Stainz - sorry it took so long to get back... forgot my password to the forum for a while and was too lazy to find it. :-) In it, Speer Gold Dot 135 +p, and it's carried in a blackhawk pocket holster. I absolutely LOVE this thing, and this club!
Old June 11, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1339
HiVel1

message to Stainz regarding our 351PD 22 mag revolvers.Hey I have one of those!! Where did you get the lil bottles??
hows that turkey working for you?
they shoot don't they??
Old June 12, 2013, 06:59 AM   #1340
Stainz

Dr. K,

My choice, the Remington R38S12 +P 158gr LHPSWC load was difficult to find - now it's impossible. Sadly, it's been a while since I've seen the short barrel Speer loads, too. Not as many - or often - range sessions these days.

HiVel1,

Good to hear from you, you old pre-vert! The 351PD is fun - I may have a few extra bottles, if you want them. I left a bag of them out at the range some time ago. Not so good for .38s, unlesss you have a 2-shot, but they will hold seven .22 WMRs. So will the SpeedBeez 351-7 speedloader I got from an AMAZON place yesterday.

Stainz
Old June 14, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1341
glockman19

Hello all...Long time no post.

Hope all is well. I owe the group an updated Club roster and post count...I found my excel sheet and will get to it this weekend.

Just posted links to the Club Parts 1,2,&3 for Cal Guns member looking for a carry gun.

Health & Happiness...

glockman19
Old June 14, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1342
Tenmmauto

Greetings to all.

I've lurked in this thread many times...decided to throw my hat in the ring and join my 642 brethren today.

I have two 642 snubs. One goes with me everyday in an Uncle Mike's number four size pocket holster in my right front pocket...almost forget it's there...

I can't even tell you the number of other guns I've tried for concealed carry over the years...the 642 has turned out to be the best option for me for constant carry...love my 642's!
Old June 14, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1343
jfh

Reload your ammo!

Keep in mind that buried in this thread, and the related M&P 340 thread are recipes for reloading ammo that is
1. "replica reload" rounds that duplicate the recoil of the GDSB 135-gr rounds in 38 Special and in 357 Magnum

2. "factory duplicate" recipes for the GDSB 135-gr. and Rem 38S12 (158-gr.) rounds, using either standard LSWC or the Speer / Hornady LSWC-HP bullets"

3. "Enhanced recipes" that are lower-powered 357 Magnum rounds--for example, a 158-gr. LSWC-HP round that runs about 900+fps from a nominal 2" barrel. (And, in my experience, that's about all you can run a swaged-lead LSWC-HP, or that your well-conditioned hand can handle in a lightweight like the M&P 340.)
A search in either of these threads for the user names 'jfh,' or 'ArchangelCD' will get you started, and you will find a few other users, too. And, checkout the reloading forum as well--search on terms like "replica reloads," "GDSB-135 gr." and others.

Why do I recommend this? My practice ammo--e.g., the 135-gr. replica reloads in 38 Special or 357 Magnum, or the "factory duplicate" 158-gr. loads cost my about 12 cents a round to make, or $6.00 or so for a box of 50.

Contrast that to your current costs, or to not being able to practice at all....

Jim H.
Old June 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1344
DAdams

Hey Jim thanks for stopping in. That reloading business is a great money saving idea.

I need to pick up some supplies when things loosen up a bit. How do you find the market right now for cases, primer, powder as far as price and availablity?

You one stop shop or have multiple vendor sources for materials?

The fact that the X42 and other J Frames appropriately rated can run spl plus p and .357 makes them a versatile revolver.

Cheers to all.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:08 PM   #1345
jfh

Dennis, I have no feel for the market right now. You'll have to do a quick overview in the reloading forum--I think they have a thread or two tracking supplies and availability.

After the last shortage, I stocked up on my desired powders and primers--I have enough brass and bullets that I am in good shape, probably for the rest of my life. Health issues have slowed down my shooting a lot the last two seasons. I am better this year, but I am hardly shooting 500 rounds a month.

That 900-fps load I mentioned above also seems to be a good round in the Night Guard 386 that has graduated to being my bedside gun. 2 1/2" barrel, 7 rounds, lightweight (but not like a j-frame). Yes, that is a 357 case for my recipes--but others have done it in 38 Special cases.

Personally, I now load all my 38 Special max loads to the European specs--which is equivalent to 21,750 psi. My guess is that any US-made 38 Special revolver made since 1981 meets that spec--do we really think manufacturers ran two different cylinder specs for revolvers sold in the US or sold in Europe?

Incidentally, for these shooters of j-frames in 38 Special-only should use google to find the discussions in the S&W forum about the "FBI load" and duplicates of same. It is an excellent discussion of higher-and-high-pressure rounds loaded in 38 Special cases, particularly using SR-4756 propellant, and of the changing nature of "official" 38 Special pressures.

I may even see what some DEWCBB rounds loaded up with a standard-type case depth look like. In hardcast.

Jim H.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1346
Jack19

I'm in!!!

Picked up a 642 PC Enhanced Action this week. Have put a pair of Hogue Bantam's on it, but they're just a little short for me, so it looks like a Monogrip or maybe a pair of Pachmayr Compacs is it's future.

I owned a 642 a couple of years ago and this trigger IS better, much smoother than my previous 642; not that the old one was horrible, it wasn't, but, from the factory, it wasn't this.

—Malcolm S. Forbes.

Last edited by Jack19; June 16, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1347
warrconn

I was lucky enough to buy a brand new 442 a couple of years ago for $269. Now, 442s and 642s from S&W seem unavailable. Why?
Old July 27, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1348
Nematocyst

Quote:
I was lucky enough to buy a brand new 442 a couple of years ago for $269.
Now, 442s and 642s from S&W seem unavailable. Why?
Hypothesis: the last post before yours was June 16.
When S&W saw the decline in posts in this club,
they assumed interest had dropped off so quit producing.

Just goes to show the power of this club.

Of course, there are other plausible hypotheses, as well.

Old July 28, 2013, 03:19 AM   #1349
Tony_the_tiger

Have y'all heard of the new 442 in venom green?

Just kidding...
Old July 29, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1350
Nematocyst

442 in VG might actually sell, at least among some knife owners.