Quantcast
Wasp Spray for Self Defense? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old July 14, 2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Turftech1

Wasp Spray for Self Defense?

Hi All,

I have a bunch of friends who have bought into this idea. One pointed out that even several self defense instructors were recommending this. I saw where a 22 yr NYPD veteran also recommended it.

We put it to the test. Check it out. Time to put this myth to bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWj4xuacbyY
Old July 14, 2016, 02:09 PM   #2
OC-Trainer

Major props for putting it to the test!

Although, Sabre (as well as others in the defense spray industry) debunked this myth a year ago in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy9MnQfk_0 it's nice to see addressed from someone outside the defense spray industry.

I also addressed it here, in this thread http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-768705.html
Old July 14, 2016, 03:02 PM   #3
yugorpk

If you sprayed me with wasp spray I'd shoot you.
Old July 14, 2016, 04:35 PM   #4
OC-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugorpk View Post
If you sprayed me with wasp spray I'd shoot you.
Profound
Old July 14, 2016, 04:58 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I watched the video and thought to myself,,,

I think we've finally found the man who will willingly be shot with a .22 to test it's efficacy.

Like Bugs Bunny said,,,
"What a maroon!"

Aarond

Old July 14, 2016, 05:10 PM   #6
azrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I think we've finally found the man who will willingly be shot with a .22 to test it's efficacy.

Like Bugs Bunny said,,,
"What a maroon!"

Aarond

I thought the same thing until I read about Pyrethrins. It looks a lot more balsy than it actually is
Old July 14, 2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Speedo66

I think it's a federal offense to use certain chemicals for other than their intended purposes.
Old July 14, 2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Hanzo581

Can you try pepper spray on wasps next?
Old July 14, 2016, 05:58 PM   #9
Schwing

It's good to know that it "Tastes like crap!" too.

This info is good to get out there. I hear this all of the time.
Old July 14, 2016, 07:20 PM   #10
jdh

http://articles.extension.org/pages/...r-pepper-spray

"2. Using a pesticide in a manner other than according to labeled directions is a violation of federal law (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/7/136j
Unlawful acts
(a),(2) (G) to use any registered pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling;
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. (10 USC sec 311)

Last edited by jdh; July 14, 2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 14, 2016, 08:21 PM   #11
CZ9shooter

Why would one carry wasp spray anyhow? Pepper spray is not terribly hard to get. Yeah, you've gotta go into town to pick it up, but same goes for the bug juice. Just buy the real thing.
Old July 14, 2016, 08:36 PM   #12
X-Rap

Bear spray comes in a smaller package than wasp spray, probably carrys similar penalties for using on humans but that 12+- oz can of whup arse beats harsh words when you can't have a gun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old July 14, 2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Turftech1

My exposure was less than what one would be exposed to applying a mosquito repellent which uses pyrethroids, or pyrethrins (many do), and deet causes them to be more readily absorbed. This is part of the reason why this myth is so stupid. People actually regularly apply these chemicals to their skin, including their face. In South American countries these same pesticides are routinely added to the water clothes are washed in, as pyrethrins/pyrethroids repel many insects.

From the EPA on pyrethrins/pyrethroids.
"These chemicals are absorbed by the body when you eat contaminated foods and breathe contaminated air, but they are not as easily absorbed through the skin when you touch contaminated soil, vegetation, or insecticides containing these compounds. Some insect repellents that are applied to the skin contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids in addition to another chemical called DEET, which may allow the pyrethrins or pyrethroids to enter your body more easily. "

They are also purged from the body quite quickly, through feces, urine and respiration.
Old July 14, 2016, 09:23 PM   #14
Cooldill

I have found wasp spray to have excellent stand off capability and anti-personnel effect on spider crickets.

But humans? Hrrrmmmm... maybe not so good! Makes you think twice about what all these "experts" say about certain things... thanks for actually putting it to the test!
Old July 15, 2016, 04:53 AM   #15
AlfonsDeWolf

Coming soon as a stunt in the next Bruce Willis movie........ (Who's Bruce Willis?)
Old July 15, 2016, 12:24 PM   #16
JShirley
Administrator

You took video of violating the law, with a fine of up to $5000 if convicted.

Don't.
Closed Thread