Quantcast
Looking for a very flat folding knife for "micro" tool kit - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 25, 2016, 12:17 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Looking for a very flat folding knife for "micro" tool kit

I am putting together a kit something like the kit this guy created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaZ-d4vIoVs

Except I'm not going to include a multi-tool, and I am going to put a Chapman Manufacturing ratchet driver in my kit, and fit actual sockets in the pouch.

The reason that I'm starting this thread is that the knife that he has in his kit is a Sanrenmu 7037 and I'm wondering about other knife options. The Sanrenmu 7037 was given a kind of luke-warm review by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi9r5z-i5E4

It is a $6.42 knife - shipped, so I'm a little leery of it.

I'm wondering if a CRKT Delilah's P.E.C.K. or something similar would be better. I envision this as being a utility knife. The main thing is that it has to be thin and it has to fit in the Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organizer. I don't know the OAL of the Sanrenmu but it looks like it leaves a little over an inch of room in the Micro Pocket Organizer. The Micro is 5.5" long so I'm guessing that the Sanrenmu 7037 is about 4" long?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro tool kit.jpg (61.2 KB, 378 views)
Old March 25, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2
danez71

I'm interested in what's said about the PECK.

I was looking at that as an EDC until I ran across a Gerber EAB for $10 at a store I was in.

I took off the clip and it's very very flat in my pocket and doesn't scratch stuff.

Ive been using Irwin shatterproof safety blades as the replacements. I've used for a lot of stuff and haven't broken a blade yet.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Old March 25, 2016, 01:27 PM   #3
cc-hangfire

You didn't mention minimum blade length, so I'll suggest the thinnest one I have, although it's only a 1.75" blade: Coast model FX175. Minimalistic design, 1/4" total thickness, locking blade, available at about $8 from Home Depot.

Nothing to brag about, or to depend upon in the wilderness but sturdy and thin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.6 KB, 67 views)
Old March 25, 2016, 01:33 PM   #4
cc-hangfire

And a pic of it open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.1 KB, 49 views)
Old March 25, 2016, 02:16 PM   #5
C0untZer0

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that knife and I actually already have one.

I purchased a whole bunch of Coast knives from Home Depot when HSO pointed out a sale:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ighlight=depot

Or maybe ugaarguy started it, IDK, but I went and got a bunch of them. I threw the little FX175 in a tackle box.

Last edited by C0untZer0; March 25, 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old March 25, 2016, 02:23 PM   #6
FireInCairo

The Benchmade 530 model is very light and thin, but it's not cheap. They sell for around $100 bucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7dROUtWctw
Old March 25, 2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Vonderek

Flattest knife I've had was the old school Mercator Black Cat Knife.
Old March 25, 2016, 08:46 PM   #8
glistam

SOG SlimJim is pretty flat. I own that same maxpedition case (I use it for techie stuff) and just fiddling around with my folder collection, another option is most kinds of higonokami, which are very compact and flat, though also fairly simple.
Old March 25, 2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Piraticalbob

Vonderek is on the right track with the suggestion about the Merkator Black Cat. The French Douk-Douk knives are also a good choice and come in both large and small sizes. The small sized Douk-Douk will fit easily into an Altoids tin.
Old March 25, 2016, 09:33 PM   #10
Litlman

Spyderco Lady bug.
Old March 25, 2016, 10:30 PM   #11
hso

You say "utility", but that means different things to different people. Could you list what you intend to do with it?
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old March 25, 2016, 11:52 PM   #12
toivo

I have one of these -- it's pretty flat:

http://www.crkt.com/Nirknovo

Apparently discontinued, though.

This is the slimmest knife I know of, but it's pretty small. I don't know if it would meet your needs:

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU52...-steel-handles
Old March 26, 2016, 12:25 AM   #13
C0untZer0

I'm trying to think of when I use a knife repairing stuff... like maybe needing to cut a hose, something like that...
Old March 26, 2016, 12:36 AM   #14
rcmodel
Member in memoriam

Well for hose and stuff?

I would have to suggest a Spyderco Rescue or Delica serrated blade of some sort.

They cut the uncuttable like a little pocket chain-saw.
They cut stuff a razor sharp straight edge blade won't cut without a lot of effort.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...co-rescue.aspx

rc

Time has finally taken over, and we can't fight getting older! 'Kid Rock'
Old March 26, 2016, 06:31 AM   #15
hso

I agree on serrated blade then.

You'll also want enough handle to hold onto safely. The blade can be smaller, but the handle will be very important if you're cutting hoses (tough composite hoses are very challenging) for the leverage and secure grip needed to do the work safely.

You may want to think about a small saw instead. X-Acto sells many different saw blades that should cut through tough hose with minimal force needing to be applied. They also store flat and if you have space for the handle you can include a variety of blades for emergency use and you might work a hack with some alternative flat handle materials.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-Raxor-S...+razor+saw+set

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; March 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:22 AM   #16
redneck

SOG twitch with a combo edge seems like a decent choice. I don't have one but they seem to get good reviews for the price range.
Old March 26, 2016, 09:21 AM   #17
Kingcreek

I used to carry a similar kit on my bicycle when I toured. Mine had a spyderco cricket in it. (Also carried a mora in the camping/cooking kit) Didn't carry a multitool back then but did carry one of the mini bit and wrench kits.
Old March 26, 2016, 10:08 AM   #18
danez71

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0 View Post
I'm trying to think of when I use a knife repairing stuff... like maybe needing to cut a hose, something like that...

Then I'm going to disagree with the other 2 more knowledgeable members .... but I'll explain and put in caveats

How big can you go / want to go?

If you're cutting a car radiator size hose for ex., .... you'll need at least a 4"+ serrated blade to be able to saw it.

IMO, you'd be much more effective when using a smaller blade by slicing around a hose. And something like the EAB would work much better than sawing with a short blade. Blades for the EAB are pretty durable and you could carry spares. (Or pick other thin'ish straight blade)

IMO, serrations on a smaller blade are mainly good for folding rope over and pull ripping thru it,,,on a knife that may never get sharpened.

Generally a sharp blade will do everything a serrated blade will in a pocket knife but not the other way around.

You can slice, carve, trim, and cut with a straight blade.... but can not with a serrated edge.

Where a serrated edge shines over a straight blade is the sawing action and not needing to be as sharp because of the serrations themselves.

Last edited by danez71; March 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old March 26, 2016, 10:22 AM   #19
Litlman

Small and flat but bigger than the Lady bug is the Dragonfly. I have it serrated and flat grind and it is razor sharp. The serrated models are crazy cutters. Pull off the clip and its thinner. It is the "biggest small knife that I have. This is a Micro kit right? I have a Dragon fly in my Maxpedition Micro Pocket organizer.
Old March 26, 2016, 10:50 AM   #20
RaceM

S&W makes a tiny folder, only a couple inches long, very flat, maybe 1/4" thick. Cheap, too, around $7.
Old March 26, 2016, 11:48 AM   #21
CZ9shooter

Why not just carry a knife in/on your pocket? This way you ALWAYS have it with you. You wouldnt need to adhere to such tiny size constraints either. You could carry something larger and more user friendly, and more capable. Just my two cents.

Otherwise, I second the Dragonfly2. Good quality and it is pretty dang usable considering it's size and ubsurd lightness. I wouldnt go any smaller than that, personally.
Old March 26, 2016, 12:11 PM   #22
MikeJackmin

Kershaw leek is another option.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old March 26, 2016, 03:22 PM   #23
JShirley
Administrator

Leeks tend to be "slippery" and seem to like poking their user.

Just my observation.
Old March 26, 2016, 03:58 PM   #24
dayhiker

Flat knife? 5.5" long pouch? Knife to cut hose?

Easy answer. Spyderco C07S. (5.31" closed)

I like mine a lot,my go to for tough fiberous material cutting. Great knife to pair with a plain edge blade.

The newer ones are drilled and tapped for left/right/tip up/down.
Old March 26, 2016, 10:28 PM   #25
hso

Quote:
poking their user
I have a couple and hadn't noticed that propensity for betrayal.