Quantcast
What's the deal with micro neck knives? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #1
19-3Ben

What's the deal with micro neck knives?

While I love knives, I'm not super "up" on the latest and greatest in trends and equipment.
I got to looking recently and I've noticed that a lot of companies seem to have jumped on this trend of super tiny neck knives. Especially, I've noticed that there are many very inexpensive ones that actually seem to get decent reviews. There just aren't very many reviews though, so I thought i'd ask here.
I'm trying to figure out if these would have much utility for a guy like me.

The Boker Magnum lil friend clip, can be had on Amazon for a whopping $16. The Mtech competitor is even cheaper at only $9.

Now, in general, i've learned that you get what you pay for, and at under $20, there's not a lot of good stuff in the knife market (yes, i love my Opinel and my Mora. I know there are exceptions to the rule), but thought I might ask in case they happen to be decent.

I'm also very interested in the Boker Plus Gnome. Very nice looking design, although I'm not sure how practical it would be in practice.

Ultimately, as a guy who ALWAYS has a folding knife on him (usually a Benchmade Griptillian or Leatherman Skeletool, sometimes a Case), does a neck knife offer me any real advantages? I've never been in a day-to-day situation where I felt like I had to exert so much stress on a knife that I thought I might break it. I simply use them to do what knives do... cut stuff. So if the only advantage is the inherent strength of a full tang fixed blade, i can pass.

So basically, do i have any reason to buy a super tiny neck knife other than "just because?"

I'll add that Becker's excellent BK11 has been on my very short list for a while and has made it to the top, so I am not opposed to a "normal" sized neck knife. Just asking if the micro ones are any good.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #2
hso

Small neckers can be much lighter than a folder because they lack the mechanism for locks and pivots, but the commercial sheaths that come with them can add that weight back. A simple fold over kydex made yourself can drive the weight back down below a folder easily.

The orientation of a necker is always the same while a folder may be at the bottom of a pocket full of stuff.

No locks to fail, no pivots to gum up.

A small necker can have a small enough blade to be useful day to day and just large enough handle to hold onto and use easier than a folder (although Spyderco is well known with breaking from filling the folder with blade and making small blade folders in frames just large enough to actually hold onto).

A knife you wear is more likely to be there with you all the time than one you carry. A knife light enough to wear without thinking about it, especially so.

That said, knife popularity flows like many things and this year small neckers are more popular than in the past (see our own J Shirley and Sam 1911's ARK design with Spyderco), but the great thing about that is we see new ideas fostered that way and brought to the using public and we'll end up with a few designs with long term appeal. Also, when you aren't told what steel is used you begin to wonder what they're hiding (440 or "stainless" isn't specific enough).

As to the knives you pointed out - Neither of the Bokers appear to have enough handle to be as useful for day to day use. They are 2 finger knives and a 3 finger grip gives more options.
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #3
Sam1911

Quote:
So basically, do i have any reason to buy a super tiny neck knife other than "just because?"
You may not. I mean, any of us can deal with our tasks and problem situations with all manner of implements. A neck knife is just one option. But it might be a good one for some reasons.

To quote the product literature from Spyderco on the ARK:
Quote:
While deployed to Afghanistan, Shirley learned that an alarming number of U.S. personnel were falling victim to sexual assault, particularly while showering. Drawing from his knowledge of the Japanese martial arts ...they developed the ARK as a lightweight self-defense tool that can literally be carried anywhere.
In other words, it is made of completely rust-proof H1 steel and it weights less than one ounce. The one thing every soldier has with him/her even while showering is their tags. The ARK can ride on the tag chain all the time without being a nuisance, and can't be harmed in any way by thousands of trips to the shower. A troop deployed to one of the sandbox places where these sorts of assaults are commonly perpetrated by local nationals employed on base, or by our "friendly" coalition partners, can get in the habit of never taking it off and always having a capable edge even in the most unguarded moments.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
For Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #4
Evil-Twin

Gibbs rule # 9 never leave home without a knife

Just joking on the Gibbs rule but its a good idea to carry a knife.... I carry two.. a Swiss army knife ( huntsman ) and a Zero tolerance very high end knife.
One is a tool and the other is cool...

In my opinion, a knife that you can't get a good grip on is not as controllable or as effective as a full hand on grip
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #5
JShirley
Administrator

I am not a big fan of neck knives or carry, but there are times when it is the most or only practical carry option.

Most "neck knives" are too big for good neck carry, though I have thought very highly of the Folts Minimalist, despite the lower-end steel.

I can say that Spyderco's execution of the ARK has resulted in the best neck knife I've seen.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #6
hso

The Folts can be had in CPM 154CM for about $125, but that's a long way above the CRKT version.

The ARK is about the best quality for the money out there.

Other good items are the CRKT Ed VanHoy Cling-On in 8Cr13MoV, the same company offers the Burnely Achi and the Halligan Sweet Kiss in the same steel, the old CRKT Bear Claw was handy, The ESEE Candiru is good if you wrap the grip, Spartan's Enyo is nice, Ka-Bar's Snoddy Snake Charmer should be good, TOPS/Buck CSAR-T Liaison might work ok.

Sam's kiridashis that John designed are pretty dang handy as well.
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; Yesterday at 04:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #7
Deltaboy

Talking

I'm looking around for one.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #8
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I have probably near 100 decently good fixed and folding knives.
But I didn't have a neck knife.

So I bought this CRKT Folts designed Keramin last year on sale for $19.95 with a special purpose in mind.

It is ideal for clipping weeds and vines in the fence line while mowing.

And even more ideal in the water gardens for cleaning up dead Water Lilies & Lotus under water while wearing chest waders.

A normal folder is not reachable inside chest waders, and a bigger sheath knife is likely to puncture the rubber pond liners if you drop it.

I replaced the paracord neck cord with a breakable S/S bead chain so I can't hang myself on a ladder or something.

Keramin 1.jpg

Keramin 2.jpg

Not the best at holding an edge I have seen.

But its been a very worthwhile investment for what I use it for!

http://www.crkt.com/keramin-kerambit-neck-knife-2389

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist...zor-Edge-Knife

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist...zor-Edge-Knife

http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist...zor-Sharp-Edge

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #9
bannockburn

rc

Thanks for the links. Like the looks of the CRKT Folts-Minimalist Tanto.
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #10
kBob

40 years ago I carried two additional things on my dog tag chain. A P38 Shellby can opener and a small, cheap all stainless steel folder that had a tiny bottle opener taking up half the blade. Besides being able to open German beer bottles I liked having that huge 3/4 inch cutting edge......beat not having any thing. It was useful for sharpening pencils and opening packages. While I would want better if forced to fight for my virginity in a shower, it beat nothing.

-kBob