Quantcast
Coast folders at Home Depot holiday sale! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 3, 2014, 04:18 PM   #1
hso

Thumbs up Coast folders at Home Depot holiday sale!

Shocked, I say, shocked!

I heeded ugaarguy's reference to the $10 Coast folders that Home Depot had for sale and got a couple.

Well assembled. Solidly built. Reasonably sharp. Good locks. Entry level blade steel (7Cr13MoV) may be a leetle bit better than or the same as 440A, but for $10 it is money that can't go wrong if they're adequately built.

I cut Leatherman Wings and Sidekicks out of their plastic and sliced up some pasteboard and paper after I stropped off the wire edges from the two picture. They did fine for those mundane tasks push cutting the plastic and slicing the paper an pasteboard. I'll keep using the two and strop from time to time on the back of a legal pad until they start to tear paper and then resharpen.

The liner lock on the fiber reinforced nylon handled DX340 knife is backed up with a secondary LAWKS type lock that keeps it from shifting. A spine whack test on butcher block didn't phase it. The frame lock of the slightly bigger FX416 knife went right to the proper position against the tang of the blade without any over or under travel.

Clips are both deep pocket carry. The steel frame lock is left and right carry capable. The FRN handled knife is carryable on all 4 corners. The steel frame lock is hefty, but not so much as to drag your pants off. The FRN knife is very light, as one would expect where the only steel in the handle is a liner insert on one side and the pocket clip, and you forget it is in your pocket. Both clips carried securely.

Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by ugaarguy; December 5, 2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: quick correction.
Old December 4, 2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Deltaboy

Thanks.
Old December 9, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3
TomADC

Yep picked up two of those and a Leatherman sidekick no Wings there
Old December 11, 2014, 01:31 AM   #4
DNS

I just wiki searched 7cr17 and it appears to be a modified 440A with more vanadium. Sounds interesting.

I think i'll have to pick up at least one for some trials.
Old December 11, 2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Zeeemu

Just now checked my Home Depot on line and found them on sale for $7.
Old December 11, 2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Double_J

I have to go to home depot anyway tomorrow so I guess I will pick a couple of them up for friends/relatives/emergency gifts. No one I am friends with turns down a free knife, even if it is a junk knife.
Old December 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Zeeemu

"...even if it is a junk knife."

I just bought one. It's far from junk. The blade is sharp and the additional lock is a plus. It's a convenient utility knife that carries unobtrusively in a jeans pocket.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Double_J

Report on the knife I bought today. I took it out and used it to cut some rope, open a package, and scrape a door jamb to install a door lock. So far it is a great buy for the money, and I stand corrected about it being a "junk knife", it is a good inexpensive work knife.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:14 PM   #9
hso

Glad to hear you're glad you bought it.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:42 PM   #10
TomADC

I tried to give my daughter one of the ones I bought because her husband had lost his current EDC but when she saw it was afraid he'd hurt himself!! So I gave her a little stockman I had.
Old December 13, 2014, 12:33 AM   #11
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Dang it HSO!!!

Now, I gotta figure out how to go to Home Depot by myself long enough to buy me one of those DX340's for my own self!

But why?
I have no idea, other then you said so.
I certainly don't need one for sure.

But, now I'm compelled to buy one.

rc
Old December 13, 2014, 01:44 AM   #12
zoom6zoom

showing as seven bucks now.
Old December 13, 2014, 05:34 AM   #13
Styx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZhb37zJeQ

I just ordered one too. I'll pick it up in store tomorrow.

HSO, which did you like the most?
Old December 13, 2014, 07:34 AM   #14
hso

I like the light weight, but wish the "liner" was thicker like the frame lock. I also wanted the frame lock to come in a plain edge.

Of the two I "like" the light weight, but what I'll toss in each vehicle and bag and ... is the frame lock.

RC, you got more knives than Carter has liver pills (only old guys will get that one) so what you need another knife for.

Old December 13, 2014, 10:44 AM   #15
TomADC

Quote:
RC, you got more knives than Carter has liver pills (only old guys will get that one) so what you need another knife for.
My grandmothers favorite saying, she died in 1959 I was 17 then.
Oh and have to pick up a part I ordered from home depot so maybe another one or two.
Old December 13, 2014, 12:56 PM   #16
TomADC

Leatherman sidekick now $18.00 yep got one and a 340 for $7.00
Old December 13, 2014, 08:30 PM   #17
jlr1962

Got one of each. Nice knives for seven bucks.

In God we trust. Everybody else pays cash.
Old December 13, 2014, 10:57 PM   #18
C0untZer0

That's fricken great, right after I bought one for twice that price.
Old December 13, 2014, 11:08 PM   #19
ugaarguy

Count, that means you just need to buy two more for $7 from Home Depot to give you an average price per unit of $9.33.
Old December 13, 2014, 11:49 PM   #20
rondog

I work for Home Depot! But I work at night - we start at closing time and leave just before opening. So it's a PITA for me to buy there, I have to come in early, stay a half-hour after clocking out, or go on my days off.

But I've been eyeballin' those knives too.....
Old December 14, 2014, 12:19 AM   #21
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Rondog.
Replete after me.

10 for the display.
1 for me.

10 for the display.
1 for me.

NOO!
That ain't right right there!

But, I had a guy working for me once on the loading dock that would purposely stab a full pallet of Russell-Stover candy for the Xmas shop sale with his fork-lift.

So he could lick his sticky fingers while cleaning up the mess!

He didn't last long after the second time though!

The first time was an accident.
The second time I fired him.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; December 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old December 14, 2014, 05:24 PM   #22
Deltaboy

Showed them to the Wife and she said Why do you need another nice ? I smiled the same reason you need another purse. She laughed and said Christmas will be here soon.
Old December 14, 2014, 05:33 PM   #23
SleazyRider

My goal in life is to drive past a Home Depot without stopping in. Looks like I'm yet another visit away from said goal.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old December 14, 2014, 06:40 PM   #24
earlthegoat2

I got one of those for free from one of my vendors at work. I knew it was a cheap knife but I too was impressed with the quality. No blade wiggle, centered, positive and crisp lockup, easy one handed unlocking and refolding.

Id say it is a winner.

Read The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette
Old December 15, 2014, 06:00 AM   #25
SleazyRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr1962 View Post
Got one of each. Nice knives for seven bucks.
Price just jumped from 7 to 10 bucks!

This is high finance here!

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden