Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 25 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4, 2012, 12:05 AM   #601
Carl Levitian

carl,when were you at walter reed,older bro was head gas passer in charge of the or

I was transferred there from Brooke Army Hospital Ft. Sam in May of 1971, and was there until August 1971. They had operated on my right foot and ankle at Brooke, then shipped my up to D.C. where did another op on my right ankle. The doctor that was in charge of my rehab was a Captain named John Tanaka from San Francisco. Great guy, and he goaded me into rehab in a thoughtful way. He said as long as I was going to be on a cane, I may as well learn to use it for self defense. He opened a whole new world to me, and got me over my depression at being 'cripped up' at 30 years of age and carrying a cane.

The ortho surgeon who rebuild my ankle and put some hardware in was named Kerchner, and he was a bird type Col. Also a nice guy.

Ask your bro if he remembers Bernie's. If you left Walter Reed by the Georga Avenue gate, turned left and went a block up on the right hand side of the road, was Bernie's Bar. Good cheap draft and GI friendly place. Most of their clientele after 1600 hours was Walter Reed personal. It was easy to get a ride over after 1600 hours, since a lot of personal headed that way.
Old June 4, 2012, 12:09 AM   #602
Nematocyst

This continues to be one of the most important and interesting threads on THR.

I'll offer this as one track of a sound track for it.

It won't appeal to many here.

But maybe a few ...

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old June 4, 2012, 07:26 PM   #603
Deltaboy

Cool music and a great African or Aussie Sunset.
Old June 4, 2012, 11:16 PM   #604
Owen Sparks

Wouldn't that be great background music for a stick or cane self-defense video?

Too bad it is copyrighted.
Old June 5, 2012, 10:32 AM   #605
Deltaboy

Yes it would except for some good Irish Cane fighting then we would need Irish flutes and Lyres .
Old June 5, 2012, 08:52 PM   #606
Nematocyst

I've communicated with Glen Doyle, so we've got the Irish stick fighting covered. Great and talented person.

I don't know Guy J, but the artist of this track is a close friend who goes by the name "PhuturePrimitive",
so I'm pretty sure we can get permission to use it (or others on his CD) for a stick fighting video.

Old June 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #607
bikerdoc

Nem, maybe you could start another thread on cane fighting, if you do I am in.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old June 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #608
Nematocyst

Doc, I've never used 'canes'.

I'm a hardwood stick guy,
where 'stick' ranges from 39" to 16".
_______

Added by edit: I didn't articulate that well. What I meant was,
I've never used 'hook neck' canes, only straight walking sticks, including knob sticks.

So, I'm definitely not the one to start a 'cane' thread.

Last edited by Nematocyst; June 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:13 PM   #609
Deltaboy

It is good to see all the interest in using canes to keep walking and living.

Cane fighting is very interesting. I seen the form from the SE Asia.
Old June 7, 2012, 08:48 AM   #610
kBob

Little observation from yesterday. Late in the afternoon the kids insisted on visiting Disney Downtown before leaving the Orlando Area. The dis had to visit the Lego Store and the largest of the Disney stores (the one devoted to the Disney Princesses" As we had already changed into street clothes and I had planned on no more walking I did not have my new brace on and could not pull these trousers up high enough to get it on when the decisiion to go walkies in the rain was made.

So out came the stick.

Disney Downtown is not part of the pay to get in parks, but a collection of tourist traps (and they did well on a family of "locals" yesterday) where Disney can fleece those not wishing to do the whole park experience. The highpoints of the visit for me were the Earl of Sandwitch Shop where I had the original 1762 Roast Beef etc and the Ghirardelli Chocolate SHop. I saw not one other person with a cane in the hour and a half we were there. I did get a few stares and looks. I found this very odd as every forth person seemed to have an umbrella as it was raining in fits and starts.

As the Mouska-SWAT folks did not show up I guess I did not actually frighten anyone with my stick. I suspect it was the high number of young parents and low number of retiree types at the place that lead me to stick out as it were.

My point being that while I am usually "invisable" with my cane around town, at a place with above average numbers of young folks I did attract attention.

Something to think about.

-kBob
Old June 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #611
Owen Sparks

So what if you attract attention by having a cane while you are young. There is nothing that they can DO about it.
Old June 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #612
ThorinNNY

Location: 3 hours North of Syracuse, 2 hours west of Lake Champlain
If you have to use a conventional type brace- ie hinged steel uprights attatched to the outside of your shoe or boot, you might get a few stares. So what? The brace solves my problem, it makes it possible for me to walk around ... if someone dosen`t like it, tough s..t!
My cane helps with walking up & down stairs, uneven surfaces, etc, also helps with my balance. No one has ever told me I couldn`t carry it or questioned my use of the cane, anywhere!
Old June 7, 2012, 07:19 PM   #613
Ogreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Sparks View Post
So what if you attract attention by having a cane while you are young. There is nothing that they can DO about it.
Technically speaking, they COULD round up the torches and pitchforks (as in an old Frankenstein movie).

Practically speaking, the only real downsides I've suffered are the difficulty of not having both hands free and the pain in my hand when I'm up leaning on the cane for too long.

If people are staring at me it's either because I'm so damned handsome or I look like I'm about to collapse.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:17 PM   #614
Owen Sparks

The types of places where I feel the need to carry a cane for self-defense are not the types of places where I really care what people think. Usually because I will never see them again. I don't carry my cane in my daily routine around town though it is always on the front seat of my truck in case I need it. I only carry it in hand when I have to go into the city, to the airport or make a late night trips to the gas station or something. I seldom run into people I know in places like that.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:36 PM   #615
Deltaboy

I'm with Owen I can still get by some days with out it like my school which is 110% ADA building. But I have one in my closet in my classroom and one in every car I own.
With Osto Author in both feet and the right ankle having 80% cartlidge loss mine is an accident waiting to happen. I dislike both braces I have tryed because the make the Achellies (SP) sore the next day after I wear them. I too carry a cane out after dark or anytime my Radar gives me a hit on the situation or place I am at.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:18 AM   #616
bikerdoc

Im lining up with Owen and Deltaboy.

I have mine at hand 24/7. Wish I didnt have to, but it is what it is. I dont care what other people think. When they pay my bills they can have a say.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old June 8, 2012, 06:55 AM   #617
Old Guy

Most places, re self defense, my Glock 19 is on the belt. But Airline travel, the City Stick with Micarta knob is with me, in England especially, at 76 with white beard, never ever been questioned, at the check in.

The light weight, and basically indestructible construction of this cane, makes it a very fast strike weapon. Just remember the strike through philosophy, same as a punch, you do not aim for the point of impact, but behind it, this means you are still accelerating as you get there.

Reference the umbrella, in a fit of madness, a few years ago, I purchased an umbrella, same construction as the City Stick, 3" steel end, keep that in the Jeep, great for keeping rain off as well.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:14 PM   #618
Deltaboy

I live with in a hour of 2 VA hospitals one in DFW and the other in Waco. The 10 year war on Terror left us with hundreds of under 30 guys who have to use canes to walk. Keep your hair high n tight and a good shave and you will get some Thanks for your service for some old warriors. If you do don't correct them just thank God they cared enough to give you a great compliment.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:00 PM   #619
kBob

I get the feeling some folks have no idea why I made a point of folks noticing me and my cane.

Indeed their noticing me will not cause me to not carry and use the cane, I on occassion need it and it does me no good in the truck or at home if I am wandering around some Disney attraction and the knee starts to act up.

My point is that they did notice and take note of it. Back when I carried a rifle, grenade launcher, GPMG, or Recoiless Rifle instead of a cane it became clear to me that the absolute best defense was to not be seen or detected in the first place. Thus when folks do take note of me and give a second look I am a bit concerned.

Again NO ONE in an official capacity said "Boo!" though I do not know that I was not watched on video or by one very beefy "street sweepers" that did take more than one glance at me.

My concern with standing out is more towards stupid bad guys noticing the cane and thinking more in terms of "Oh Look a gimp and easy pickings!" rather than "Gosh that is an awfully big guy with that cane and he seems to be checking out everything, he is old enough to have been places and done things I don't really want to think about and maybe he is not the droid we want." The fight that is not offered you is the one easiest won.

-kBob
Old June 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #620
Deltaboy

Mindset and Cooper's Awareness System is what you need then. Also you can get a folding cane and carry it since your issue is like jack in a box and pops up when you least expect it.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:22 PM   #621
bikerdoc

Quote:
he is old enough to have been places and done things I don't really want to think about and maybe he is not the droid we want."

Yep, thats what Have been told I project.

VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old June 9, 2012, 09:35 PM   #622
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
Yep, thats what Have been told I project.
LOL !
Old June 14, 2012, 10:28 PM   #623
Deltaboy

My next project is to build a super cane from my late mother in laws estate; it is a copper toned one that you can fold up. I going to give it a steel backbone and a good dose of JB Weld to fuse it all togther. I will try and make some pics of this project.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:56 PM   #624
Deltaboy

Went out with the Girls ( my wife and daughter) to celebrate an Early Father's day today. They liked to walked me to death. But my cane came in handy and I was able to keep going all day. Tomorrow might be painful.

Before I forget; too all our Dads, Happy Fathers day and prayers for you all whose Dads are passed or not worth remembering.

Have a Fun and Blessed Fathers day!
Old June 19, 2012, 02:36 AM   #625
Ogreon

The main reaction that I notice is that a few older women will hold doors open for me. Maybe the cane and looking like I might collapse at any time combines to stir up some motherly instinct.

The younger women are probably either in too much of a hurry or they're afraid that I'll fall on them intentionally.