Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 4 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17, 2011, 09:28 PM   #76
Tom609

I just purchased my Blackthorn here http://lollysmith.com/wlstac.html

"As cynical as I get, I just can't keep up." Lily Tomlin
Old January 19, 2011, 11:09 AM   #77
GURU1911

Attention: Irish blackthorn fans !!!

Is the blackthorn in the photo made of synthetic or natural root?
My 60 year old fuzzy eyes indicate it is the "cold steel" poly-blackthorn stick. If i am correct, how do you like it ??? I have reached a point in my life to consider purchasing one.
Old January 23, 2011, 01:35 AM   #78
Deltaboy

I like my coldsteel one so far. It is built like a TANK!
Old January 24, 2011, 06:38 PM   #79
Nematocyst

This is a question for those knowledgeable about wood (at least more than me).

If you were going to buy a cane/walking stick ("knob stick") that could be used as a fighter,
didn't want blackthorn, and had a choice of the following woods, which would you buy, and why?

Ash, Hazel, or Apple.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old January 24, 2011, 07:04 PM   #80
Carl Levitian

"If you were going to buy a cane/walking stick ("knob stick") that could be used as a fighter,
didn't want blackthorn, and had a choice of the following woods, which would you buy, and why?

Ash, Hazel, or Apple. "

I'd go with ash. I think I read someplace that that's the choice of the Louisville Slugger. I do know it's a choice of many tool handles, and the London Bobbies short billy is made of ash. Good tough wood with nice impact resistance. If indeed it is the choice of the Louisville Slugger company, that's good enough for me!

Carl.
Old January 25, 2011, 08:20 AM   #81
HiWayMan

Crab Apple is very strong and has a bit of a knotty appearance similiar to blackthorn. I see Lollysmith has some that they say are made of "Cider" Apple, but I'm not sure it is the same. It is hard to go wrong with Ash, as it is historically strong as pointed out by Carl. I have no experience with Hazel.

I would think you would want a nice tight, straight grain regardless of the wood you choose. And on that note would not discount Hickory as well.

"I'm here to regulate funkiness." - James Gandolfini in The Mexican

"You got to know when to shoot them, know when to beat them, know when to walk away and know when to run." You never count your bullets when your out in public, there'll be time enuff for counting when the shootings done"! Sharkey - WT Forum (to the tune of The Gambler)
Old January 25, 2011, 10:51 AM   #82
Carl Levitian

"Crab Apple is very strong and has a bit of a knotty appearance similiar to blackthorn. I see Lollysmith has some that they say are made of "Cider" Apple, but I'm not sure it is the same. It is hard to go wrong with Ash, as it is historically strong as pointed out by Carl. I have no experience with Hazel."

I forgot about the crab apple vs the regular apple.

Bill Moran loved making walking sticks, and experimented with all kinds of woods. One day I stopped by his shop to shoot the bull, and he was finishing up a walking stick from crab apple. He'd left the little spikes on where there was branches, and the effect was a knarly, spiky stick that loooked mean. Of course, Bill being Bill, he then tested it out on an the brush out back of his shop, and an old duffle bag stuffed with rags hanging from a rafter. It tore the ever loving stuff out of the canvas bag. The crab apple proved to be one tough piece of wood. Almost right up there with Bill's favorite wood, Horn beam.

I don't know if regular apple is as tough as the crab apple.

Carl.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:37 PM   #83
Deltaboy

Thumbs up

I might have to get Crabby with my next cane purchase Carl!

Wear a hat and walk with a cane, You will be seen as a Gentleman who can dish out some serious pain.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:19 PM   #84
Nematocyst

Thanks for the feedback about woods, guys.

The apple knobstick that I'm looking at is from cider apple, not crab, unfortunately.

I think I'd like to go with the ash - it's hard and truly beautiful - but he appears to be out of them. He's checking into it.

Old January 26, 2011, 09:56 PM   #85
Tom609

http://houseofcanes.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=486

I got this Hazel wood stick because I liked the look. It's light, but feels very sturdy. Definitely wouldn't want to catch it upside my head. I got one without the strap. I'm going to have to check out the crab apple trees I have in the yard for my first homemade project. What's the best time of year to harvest it?

Old January 27, 2011, 02:49 PM   #86
HiWayMan

Quote:
What's the best time of year to harvest it?
Typically winter or very early spring, when the sap isn't flowing.

I do believe I'll take a stick hunting trip this weekend.

"I'm here to regulate funkiness." - James Gandolfini in The Mexican

"You got to know when to shoot them, know when to beat them, know when to walk away and know when to run." You never count your bullets when your out in public, there'll be time enuff for counting when the shootings done"! Sharkey - WT Forum (to the tune of The Gambler)
Old January 27, 2011, 07:06 PM   #87
Tom609

Sounds good, thanks. I'll have to wait for a lot of new snow to melt here first.

Old January 27, 2011, 07:21 PM   #88
Hanshi

I carry/use a oak cane all the time. I need it plus I've trained wit it. Marvelous weapon.
Old January 27, 2011, 08:27 PM   #89
Nematocyst

K96771, that's a nice link. I hadn't found that one before.

Their site is not easy to navigate - took me a while to locate the section that yours is in -
but they've got some interesting products, including a nice looking blackthorn.

I also found these useful wood hardness scale tables, so called Janka hardness scale.

One: lists by decreasing hardness.
Two: lists by wood in alphabetic order

Last edited by Nematocyst; January 28, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: corrected link
Old January 28, 2011, 12:52 PM   #90
Tom609

Nematocyst, Yes that site is hard to navigate. I couldn't find the page with the actual item I purchased. On the other hand, they're good business people. The owner got back to me by phone shortly after I placed my order and arranged for the cane to be shipped directly from the wholesaler that happened to be close to my home. I ordered it on a Monday and had it Wednesday.

I like your first link, but had trouble opening the second one.

Old January 28, 2011, 01:08 PM   #91
hmphargh

This may be somewhat off topic, but yesterday at Detroit Wayne County Airport(DTW), I witnessed a young looking(30s, maybe early 40s) male have an acrylic cane confiscated while passing through security. I did not overhear the conversation, but he was questioned about it by a TSA agent and allowed to proceed to the airplane without his cane.

The agent then stood around using the cane to point and direct passengers which line they needed to go through. I thought it to be in bad taste to confiscate a passenger's private property and then use it instead of setting it aside for destruction or resale, but that is beside the point.

Has anyone else witnessed canes being taken away from airline passengers by the TSA? If so, which airport(s)?
Old January 28, 2011, 02:24 PM   #92
Nematocyst

Quote:
I like your first link, but had trouble opening the second one.
Repaired now. My bad: an extraneous character slipped into the URL when I posted it.

Old January 28, 2011, 05:41 PM   #93
Carl Levitian

"This may be somewhat off topic, but yesterday at Detroit Wayne County Airport(DTW), I witnessed a young looking(30s, maybe early 40s) male have an acrylic cane confiscated while passing through security. I did not overhear the conversation, but he was questioned about it by a TSA agent and allowed to proceed to the airplane without his cane.

The agent then stood around using the cane to point and direct passengers which line they needed to go through. I thought it to be in bad taste to confiscate a passenger's private property and then use it instead of setting it aside for destruction or resale, but that is beside the point.

Has anyone else witnessed canes being taken away from airline passengers by the TSA? If so, which airport(s)?"

This sounds sooo wrong on a couple of different levels. The young man did not know his rights, and under some conditions, the TSA person would be sued and/or loose his job. Under the Americans With Disabilties Act, they cannot ask for any proof of or pry into your disability. Too bad the the young man let himself be intimidated in loss of his totally legal property! He needed to sue the jerk. From what it sounds like, the cane was confiscated just for the TSA goons use.

Carl.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:42 PM   #94
Nematocyst

^ Oh, that's very interesting. So under ADA, they can't even ask you for proof? That I did not know.

Old January 28, 2011, 07:20 PM   #95
blackspyder

Too young and fit to have someone believe I need a cane.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:21 PM   #96
glistam

Quote:
^ Oh, that's very interesting. So under ADA, they can't even ask you for proof? That I did not know.
That's right, though it's actually the Medical Privacy Act that prevents anyone from prying into your disability. The cause of your disability is considered protected health information and not even law enforcement are above that; it takes a very strong court order to reveal that. The ADA just entitles you to have the cane no matter what anyone says because it is an assistive device, just like a wheelchair, a leg brace or a seeing-eye dog. Courts are certain not kind to people (especially LEOs and pseudo-LEOs) that violate either of these.

Now if the guy with the cane was a complete tool who when questioned said "This? Oh I don't need it, I just like it for bashing terrorist heads," he would have lost this protection because he just confessed to not only it not being a medical device, but intent to use as a weapon.

I must confess, something about this anecdote with the TSA smells rotten. He used the guy's cane like he was sorting hogs at the county fair? I find this hard to believe due to it's shear absurdity.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:52 PM   #97
Nematocyst

^ Good points.

Old January 28, 2011, 11:48 PM   #98
Carl Levitian

"Too young and fit to have someone believe I need a cane. "

No, you're not too young.

Play sports? Who's to say that football game last weekend didn't mess up you knee, or that hike on a rocky trail didn't stress something? My youngest son is in his 20's, and loves rugby. He tore the menicus in his knee and was on a cane for weeks after the arthoscopic surgery on his right knee, yet to an untrained person is the picture of a young 6 foot strapping guy. I was medically discharged from the army due to injuries to my right ankle and foot from a construction accident in the engineers. From age 30 onward I needed a cane. All kinds of things happen to young guys, and it's no business to anyone why you are carrying something that there is no law against. We can't let power hungrey idiots dictate to us the law according to them. Last I heard, this was still a semi free country with a constitution, and this goes way past where the TSA goon squad is able to go, by law.

A few years ago, I was in the check out line at Walmart, when a country sherriffs deputy came over and wanted to know why I was carrying a club. The club was one of my Irish blackthorns. I told him I had a problem and needed a cane. He then told me my blackthorn walking stick was not a cane. I fear I was a blunt with him, and I demanded he call his shift sargent. By the time it was sorted out, his sargent had him apologize to me. The sargent was very aware of the ADA.

If we let them start making it up as they go, we're done for!

Carl.

Last edited by Carl Levitian; January 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:53 PM   #99
Nematocyst

Thumbs up

Quote:
If we let them start making it up as they go, we're done for!
Yup.

Old January 29, 2011, 09:44 PM   #100
Deltaboy

Carl your right. I am only 45 years old but I played Extra Hard and Fast the first 25 years of my life and now midway through my 4th decade I am paying for it some days. I carry lots of things and a cane is one of them due to a funky right ankle that is double jointed and that I have messed up 3 times since I was in HS and the last time I messed it up real good. It works fine for weeks at a time but I can get up from a chair it can pop sideways and I am bummed up for 2-3 days.