Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 36 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9, 2015, 11:42 PM   #876
Acropolis5

Go to the web site "Fashionable Canes". They have a section on cane sizing. It's a relatively easy how-to, but the help of another makes it more accurate: Stand upright, feet together, hands at your sides, wearing shoes of a height of sole & heel as usual to you. Have your helper measure the distance from that little protruding bone on the pinky side of your wrist, to the floor. That length, usually between 34" -36" if you are 5'7" - 5'11, is the length your cane should be. Some guides suggest adding 1" to the measured distance. Remember that the rubber crutch tip used on most canes adds about .5" to the cane's length.
Old September 10, 2015, 09:07 PM   #877
Saw-Bones

Acropolis5 - I looked at the link you posted and it is similar and different to the others I've seen. I am going to average all the video recommendations and error on the side of excess. Then I'll cut the cane down in small increments to a level I feel comfortable with.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Old September 10, 2015, 10:30 PM   #878
Acropolis5

Saw-Bones, sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it works out? I have used both variants of my explanation, over the years, on about 15 different canes. Works for me. And you are most welcome. As an aside, can you link us to the other methods? I'd like to see what result they would yield for me.
Old September 11, 2015, 05:20 PM   #879
Saw-Bones

Acropolis5 - If I am understanding this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcJDcZYdFA, it differs quite a bit from the Fashionable Cane offering. In this one the tip of the cane is placed 2 laterally, then moved anterior to a point that is 4 to 6 ahead of the foot. The length is then dependent on achieving a 20 to 25 degree angle of the elbow with the hand at the side of the hip. See if I got that right and feel free to make any comments... I'm here to learn.

These are some more of the links I've looked at. Your opinion is welcome on these as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nvPeXIglI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYVpu270Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6etSPfMucQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib8BqVdVPeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_rHWJAxuRU
Old September 12, 2015, 02:27 AM   #880
Acropolis5

Saw-Bones, thanx for the links. I watched them. It seems that all but the second vid, via different methods, yield the same arm bend, as I get with my method, with the cane held at your side, shoes on. Hence, they yield the same overall length. The second vid, is the outlier, yielding a slightly (1"-2") longer length. Several of the vids referenced the "wrist fold" as the measure point. Try bending your wrist. The fold is about a 1/2" below the bony protrusion I IDed as the measuring point. If your use is primarily medically driven, you should get a medical professional's advice and fitting. Welcome to walking stick world.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:26 PM   #881
Deltaboy

Loving not needing a cane as much as I,did last year.
Old October 24, 2015, 02:55 PM   #882
Deltaboy

Any body make a new cane.
Old November 8, 2015, 12:55 PM   #883
perldog007

frequently

was prescribed a cane in 2001, only started to use one recently. Finally realized all those baton classes needn't go to waste just because I wasn't in the trade anymore. Also when afield with a side arm like a walking staff to use as an impromptu rest for offhand shooting. Significantly reduces the 'wobble zone'.

Most of the time I carry the plain Jane hospital issue kind. I have a COld Steel slim stick, very much loved. Popular in my area are hardwood sticks, have a couple of those.

Always a good idea for the ccw holder IMO. if nothing else you can toss the stick to an adversary to buy a split second of draw time.
Old November 9, 2015, 08:41 AM   #884
glistam

I've got one of those fancy 1" Grade CE Phenolic rods coming tomorrow in the mail. It's 4 ft. long and I'm thinking of just leaving it that length.
Old November 10, 2015, 09:22 PM   #885
Deltaboy

I love my cane and I keep it close.
Old November 11, 2015, 01:58 PM   #886
glistam

Ok, new stick is in. Put a rubber foot and a quick paracord handle on it (more time for fancy wrapping later).

I like it so far. This 4 foot length weighs 830g, so the density is 83.87 lbs/cu.ft., just a hair denser than the heaviest specimens of lignum vitae, and without the parasite/cracking problem of that wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phenolic Staff.jpg (49.1 KB, 41 views)
Old November 11, 2015, 04:19 PM   #887
Cocked & Locked

I like it.
Old November 11, 2015, 07:13 PM   #888
Nom de Forum
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glistam View Post
Ok, new stick is in. Put a rubber foot and a quick paracord handle on it (more time for fancy wrapping later).

I like it so far. This 4 foot length weighs 830g, so the density is 83.87 lbs/cu.ft., just a hair denser than the heaviest specimens of lignum vitae, and without the parasite/cracking problem of that wood.
Very nice!

SAF Life Member

I support The CalGuns Foundation
Old November 11, 2015, 09:54 PM   #889
Deltaboy

Nice.
Old November 12, 2015, 07:28 AM   #890
Kookla

Glistam- I had one of those rods I used about a year ago. I struck a tire with it just to see how it would do and mine snapped in half. It was cold out that day, but not sure how cold. Maybe low 30's. Can't recall the diameter, but could probably search and find out.
Old November 12, 2015, 07:31 AM   #891
Kookla

We recently took down an ash tree here. Saved a limb and have it drying out to use as a walking stick.
Old November 12, 2015, 08:17 AM   #892
glistam

Quote:
I had one of those rods I used about a year ago. I struck a tire with it just to see how it would do and mine snapped in half. It was cold out that day, but not sure how cold. Maybe low 30's. Can't recall the diameter, but could probably search and find out.
Good to know! I will be careful with it.

Besides diameter, I also wonder if some phenolics are different and therefore have less impact strength. This is a canvas one.
Old November 12, 2015, 08:54 PM   #893
Deltaboy

Ash makes a good cane.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:00 AM   #894
Rexster

I always knew I had poor balance; now it is quantifiable. I cannot pass the Walk-and-Turn part of the NHTSA Standard Field Sobriety Tests, when stone cold sober. Actually, I can successfully walk, and turn, in the correct manner, but cannot stand heel-to-toe for the duration of the "instruction" phase.

No, I was not stopped for suspicion of DWI/DUI. I was being trained to administer these tests, in the official way, during a mandated three-day certification class.

Somewhere, far earlier in the life of this thread, I replied "Sometimes" in the poll. My tricky knee is, still, usually hanging in there, though I am cognizant that it might get worse, so between the knee, and my poor balance, "sometimes" is still the operative term. I became serious about photography a few years ago, and recently revisited the idea of a Crawford Survival Staff, with the accessory connector that attaches a tripod/monopod head.

Last edited by Rexster; November 17, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old July 11, 2016, 11:33 PM   #895
Deltaboy

My canes are always with me and I am always looking at estate sales for something to tickle my fancy.
Old July 14, 2016, 01:30 PM   #896
DeTerminator

I no longer require a cane to assist me with walking, after I had both hips replaced a few years ago. But, I still like to take one for a walk when I go for one. Usually it's the blackthorn, but also like the pointy end of my Bubba-Stik in the Winter, for icy conditions. It gives me piece of mind to have one along.