Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 34 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7, 2015, 11:33 PM   #826
Dirty Bob

In TX, it's a concealed handgun license. No sword canes, Bowie knives, or tomahawks. This is why I like my canes so much: they're legal just about everywhere, especially with disability laws.
Old April 8, 2015, 10:30 AM   #827
texasred777

I need to check this out to be certain, but my 'Concealed Weapons Permit' doesn't state any particular weapon; just says 'weapons'. I'll try to get a ruling on this sometime during the next day or so.
Old April 8, 2015, 01:33 PM   #828
glistam

You're in Idaho right? If you have a license, it's all good. See Idaho Code 18-3302 (7)
Old April 9, 2015, 09:34 AM   #829
texasred777

Thanks, Glistam. Saves me a phone call or two. I was reasonably certain my license included most weapons. My instructor talked about concealed knives and such during class; also several other types of weapons that people carried.
There are a couple of other sword canes that I see online that I would really like to have. The one I wanted most was 'out of stock' the last two times I've checked on it. It's a cane with a nice, but plain handle similar to some of the ones I see in Walmart, but has a blade inside. The other one I believe is considered a 'Celtic' designed handle.
Old April 13, 2015, 08:35 PM   #830
ozarkgunner

I carry a cane, both out of necessity and defence. I have a bad knee that flares up 3 or 4 days out of the week. So i always have one or two in the vehicle. I have a variety of canes. A standard rattan cane from Hapkido class, an African walking stick from Cold Steel, and a variety of home made canes and walking sticks. I also have a tall shepheards crook for special occasions.
Old April 14, 2015, 07:45 PM   #831
Deltaboy

I use them more with each passing year.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:57 AM   #832
TRX

I joined the Cane Club a few months ago when my knee got bad enough that making it to the bathroom in a timely manner got iffy...

After looking at the handles of the store-bought ones, I decided to make my own. I used a 7/8" hardware-store dowel, a crutch tip, and "furniture leg" from Lowes that's basically a flattened ball; about 2-1/2" diameter with the top and bottom cut off. I counterbored a hole in the ball, glued and screwed it to the dowel, and then kept cutting the dowel until it felt like it was about the right length.

What I found was that there's one length that's optimal for taking my full weight when my knee is completely uncooperative, and there's a longer length that's better for keeping my balance while walking. They're a bit over an inch apart. I split the difference and it works OK.

So far a number of people have been impressed by the big round handle; I've made a couple of canes as gifts to others who admired mine.

I don't know if the knee has simply had a turn for the better in the last few months, or if just taking some of the load off with the cane made that much difference. Like someone said way upthread, "It's not for the walking part, it's for the not-falling-down part."

Once you get to where you can't be absolutely sure a knee won't give way at the next step, you're forced into a gait that causes problems of its own...
Old May 15, 2015, 07:04 AM   #833
Milkmaster

Picture?
Old May 15, 2015, 07:24 AM   #834
bikerdoc

trx, I have made several like that.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old May 22, 2015, 04:10 PM   #835
Cocked & Locked

The number of us "Always" folks in the poll has remained 47 for a looong time. No new full-time members I guess.

Here is one of my favorites looking at you. 37" of Privet Wood with an air soft pellet eyeball.

Old May 22, 2015, 09:11 PM   #836
Deltaboy

I'm enjoying my TSC STOCK canes , tough and easy to customize.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:10 PM   #837
TRX

They look a *lot* better than this in real life; the camera exaggerates the wood grain for some reason.

The square edges on the top and bottom of the balls allow a little extra grip and control when positioning the tip on an uneven or broken surface.

The ball on the center cane is about 1/4" smaller in diameter than the other two; it's my wifes, and I shaped it by spinning it against the disc sander until she liked the way it fit her hand.

The top and bottom balls are as I bought them, 2-1/2" in diameter. I picked up the first one in a "what the heck" moment, thinking it would probably be too big. After using it I liked it a lot, particularly on days when I had to put a lot of weight on the cane.

The dowels are 7/8" because I had a spare one laying around when I built the first one, and then I found it was the most common crutch tip size, and I like those better than the more common styles of cane tips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canes 1.jpg (82.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg canes 2.jpg (152.1 KB, 17 views)
Old May 22, 2015, 11:14 PM   #838
Deltaboy

Good job.