Quantcast
Yet another cool movie featuring bp revolvers - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 18, 2014, 12:59 AM   #1
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Yet another cool movie featuring bp revolvers

"Mountains of the Moon" from 1990 featuring a stalwart pair of British explorers searching for the source of the Nile circa 1857...lots of open top Colts...Navys I think. Great scene where the small group of explorers are ambushed by desert tribesmen and their ensuing engagenent with their revolvers, even shooting revolvers from both hands...jolly good fun... what?

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Crawdad1

That was on AMC (or was it TCM) last night I was going to watch that, doggonit.

That was the story of the 2 Englishmen who discovered the source of the Nile River.

Last edited by Crawdad1; October 18, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old October 18, 2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Gaucho Gringo

It was on TCM. I watched it and enjoyed.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 2-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp
Old October 19, 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
4v50 Gary

I was watching The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Colt Navys with cartridges during the Civil War. More importantly, there were scenes that I don't recall seeing like when Tuco rides up to the Confederate camp and ask for medical assistance for Blondie or when he walks into the cave looking for his compadres to help him hunt down Blondie. The other scene I don't recall is when Angel Eyes walks into the Confederate hospital.

ETA: Finally finished it yesterday. There was Scene #4 in which Blondie and Angel Eyes are sleeping by a campfire. Blondie draws and shoots some dude sneaking up on them. I don't recall that from the original theatrical release.
Old October 19, 2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Crawdad1

I noticed that also Gary, those are scenes I've never seen before. Also explains why Lee Van Cleef joined the Union Army as a prison guard.
Old October 19, 2014, 11:45 AM   #6
mungojerry

Those scenes have been edited back in, they were cut in the original release.
The voices AFAIK are a recent overdubbing as the originals were not recorded with sound.
Old October 19, 2014, 07:55 PM   #7
mec

Speke and Burton. Burton visited the holy cities of Mecca and Medina disguised as a Muslim pilgrim. He talked about his Colt revolvers in his journal and in First Footsteps in East Africa:
" My revolvers excited abundant attention, though none would be persuaded to touch them. The largest, which fitted with a stock became an excellent carbine, was at once named Abu Sittah (the Father of Six) and the Shaytan or Devil: the pocket pistol became the Malunah or Accursed, and the distance to which it carried ball made every man wonder."
—Richard Francis Burton's journal

"In April 1855, returning to the East African coast from a trek to Harar in Ethiopia, Burton and his companions came under attack by a large mob of natives. Burton recorded that two of his companions used their Colt six-shooters to "good effect" while another companion used his Adams (double action) revolver as a club after it jammed. In 1860, he traveled in the American West and mentioned taking revolver practice with his traveling companions. Burton rode through Salt Lake City and on to Sacramento wearing two revolvers on his person at all times. Part of his duties as an agent for the British government was espionage in the United States and eliminating the slave trade in the British Empire.
Old October 19, 2014, 08:04 PM   #8
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Good info mec. So would "Abu Sittah" have perhaps have been a 3rd model "Dragoon" six shooter with shoulder stock rather than a Navy with a shoulder stock?

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old October 19, 2014, 10:19 PM   #9
mec

That's what I thought.
Old October 20, 2014, 08:47 AM   #10
kBob

Apparently after Burton's SLC stop Porter Rockwell had to seek forgiveness for helping consume a bottle of whiskey with Burton.

Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall that evening?

-kBob
Old October 20, 2014, 09:32 AM   #11
mec

Both Dangerous-To-Know. I hadn't heard that story but even now, 150+ years later, it still send chills down my spine.
Old October 20, 2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Crawdad1

Quote:
was at once named Abu Sittah (the Father of Six) and the Shaytan or Devil: the pocket pistol became the Malunah or Accursed
Like the Comanche when shown the Colt Paterson, saying, "Him no good"

The Paterson Colt

By Kerry Barlow

This article was published in Western Territories magazine

"One surviving Indian encountering the Paterson revolver was quoted as saying the following "Him no good" this simple comment holds a lot of truth in its statement, compared to a single shot handgun the Paterson "was" no good for the enemy"

Got to love the Colts.

Last edited by Crawdad1; October 20, 2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old October 21, 2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Patocazador

Sir Richard Burton and Sir Samuel White baker are the 2 most interesting British explorers in history in my opinion.

Baker regularly shot a 2 ga rifle nicknamed "Baby". He discovered the source of the Blue Nile in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) while on a hunting and exploring journey with his wife whom he bought at a slave auction in Turkey I believe.

Burton, as stated above, was one of the first "non-believers" to disguise himself and travel to Media on the Haj. Afterwards he and Speke sought the source of the White Nile.

Bob
Old October 21, 2014, 10:39 PM   #14
D. Buck Stopshere

Its not amazing what one can watch on Youtube for "free". Watched last week the TV mini-series, "Centennial", all twelve episodes. In episode six, "The Longhorns", there is the usual shootout between the cowboys and the Indians.

On Youtube, the fight developed around 1:11:30, when "Buford" is chased by the band of Indians back to the herd. He's holding his LeMat revolver. RJ Poteet, played by Dennis Weaver, appears to have unholstered a Starr SA revolver.

Nate has a pair of Remington revolvers, and the rest of the hands are firing Remingtons and 1851 Navy Colts. There might be a Colt Dragoon in the mele, but the action is so fast, its hard to nail down all the models. But one can see the loading levers on the Remingtons and Colts if you watch closely.

Now, they might have all (except the LeMat) been cartridge revolvers, but there were no scenes of anybody reloading, and no scenes showing the back of the cylinder on anyone's revolver. If we want to get real picky, there isn't much black powder smoke coming from the revolvers in the closeup shots.

The episode takes place after the War between The States, around 1866-68, I think. If there is any faith in authenticity in this movie, the time period may be close. The Indian Chief is holding an 1866 "Yellowboy" Winchester.
Old October 22, 2014, 12:25 AM   #15
elhombreconnonombre

I watched that episode. Its interesting that all the cowpokes are shown wearing strong side holsters with pistol grips to the rear. It has been my impression that cross draw holsters were the norm, especially in the post ACW period depicted.

Last edited by elhombreconnonombre; October 23, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 23, 2014, 12:06 PM   #16
D. Buck Stopshere

Yeah, but this Hollywood, where history is re-made to the comfort level of the director and the historical advisor(s) if there were any onboard for the series.

Movies and TV Westerns have obliterated the historical nature so much that the public accepts it as the truth and even uses the shows to reference by in discussions.

It's far easier to watch a show than read a book about what actually happened. Which is more entertaining?