Quantcast
Kid Friendly Small Game Rifle - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 9, 2014, 10:28 AM   #1
rodwha

Kid Friendly Small Game Rifle

I've been wanting a compact lightweight small game rifle that could be handed to my daughter to use if the desire arises.

As ugly as the Traditions Deerhunter in .32 was it seemed the only reasonable choice that didn't cost >$400. Now it's no longer made, and I'm leery about buying used as I'm not sure how it's been taken care of.

It seems the only other rifle I'm aware of is the Traditions Crockett, which I like, but seems a bit much for a child.

Any thing else I should be looking at?

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old September 9, 2014, 04:42 PM   #2
rodwha

It looks like I'd need to get the Crockett and shorten it up a bit.

At the range the length and weight may not be such a big deal, but if she were to want to go squirrel or rabbit hunting with me I'd think it would become too cumbersome.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old September 9, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
drago9900

You may be able to find a unfired bobcat
Old September 10, 2014, 04:27 PM   #4
zimmerstutzen

You can buy a bobcat in reasonable shape for about $80-$100. Send it to Bobby Hoyt to line the barrel to something less than the stock 50 cal, and have far less than the cost of a Crockett in the gun. I recently bought a bobcat barrel that was a bit pitted and rusty for $25.00 and had it reamed to 54 caliber smooth bore for $50 by a local smith. So now I have a bobcat in 50 cal and a drop in barrel for 54 smooth bore. (almost 28 ga) for rabbits and such when youngsters want to learn. Most parts are still available from Deer Creek and many Traditions parts will fit. Unless you have caliber restrictions for your game law, a 50 caliber can be loaded down for small game quite easily. CVA offered the bobcat rifle in 36 cal and called it a Varmint model. They come up once in a while on the auction sites.

The CVA Squirrel rifle was a great little gun with double set triggers and brand new barrels are still available.

Also, depending on the age and dexterity of your daughter , it may be easier for her to handle loading a 50 cal, vs trying to center a 32 caliber ball in a patch and start it. I bought a 32 to teach my kids, but at age 6 and 7, they found it easier to load a 50 cal. Just trying to pour powder down the tiny bore was a challenge for them. A lot got spilled.

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; September 10, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old September 10, 2014, 04:33 PM   #5
rodwha

Excellent idea! Thanks!

My big concern is the condition of the bore and how it was handled prior. But with a liner it's moot.

I also like your idea on the .54 smoothbore. I have a mind to do this with my Lyman's rifle with a few barrels so that it's something like a T/C Contender.

Old September 10, 2014, 04:47 PM   #6
rodwha

For weight savings is it possible to line a barrel like the Bobcat with say a .32 cal liner and cut the original barrel off near the end of the stock? It may look strange, but it might make for an easier handling rifle for a small girl, though I guess it would need a TALL front sight!

Old September 10, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
rodwha

"Also, depending on the age and dexterity of your daughter , it may be easier for her to handle loading a 50 cal, vs trying to center a 32 caliber ball in a patch and start it. I bought a 32 to teach my kids, but at age 6 and 7, they found it easier to load a 50 cal. Just trying to pour powder down the tiny bore was a challenge for them."

Part of the caliber is IF she decided to hunt small game with me.

"A lot got spilled."

I foresee this with mine especially! Though only 5 she eats like a 1 year old! Maybe I'd need to bring a large funnel for her!

Old September 10, 2014, 05:25 PM   #8
zimmerstutzen

keep an eye on the big anti gun auction. About once every three weeks, somebody has a lot of two or three rusted pitted "project" barrels for sale. Usually TC barrels but sometimes, a Lyman, or Cabela's barrel. I have seen the whole lot of barrels sell for about $35.00 or $40.00 including shipping. Prices tend to be lower in Feb March and April. I think one guy buys the stuff in Spring and holds it to sell in the fall.

I have gotten deals on the two big gun auctions. Especially when the auction ends on a holiday weekend. In the past three years, I bought three complete Bobcat rifles for under $100 each. Two frontier Rifles ($80 each) and an unfired Traditions rifle that was missing a few minor parts.

Another thing I do, is put in low ball bids on such guns. (Keep in mind the shipping) Especially when there is only a day to go and no bids. I have ended up with some muzzle loader pistols for less than $60 each. Even if I get only one out of 30 or 40 tries, I can unload the gun locally at a profit, or sell the parts at a profit. I don't expect pristine condition, but normally the items are in very good shape. You need to read the descriptions and then read between the lines. If they don't mention or show the bore, it is probably in fair to bad shape. Cap and Ball revolvers are another story. A bargain price isn't much of a bargain, if you need to spend $30 on a new set of nipples.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:28 PM   #9
rodwha

Thanks for the advice!

I'm a little lost on the anti gun auction though. What is that?

Old September 10, 2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Prairie Dawg

My kids learned on a T/C Cherokee.
Then they hunted small game with it, using either a RB or conical, depending on the game.
I still have it. My grandkids will learn on it too.
You can still find them

A T/C Seneca has a barrel that's only about 3" longer.

Both light & handy & well made
--Dawg
Old September 10, 2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Steel Horse Rider

You might check out the kits at Dixie Gun Works for a .45 caliber trade rifle. It could become a family heirloom!