Quantcast
Quick price check please on Ruger Old Army - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 23, 2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Tallbald

Quick price check please on Ruger Old Army

Ruger Old Army, stainless, FIXED SIGHT 7.5 inch barrel in box with papers AND a matching R and D .45 Colt conversion cylinder(also with box and papers). All excellent condition. Fella wants $650. Sounds good to me if it checks out. Thoughts please? Don.
ROA Club Member #24 on this forum
Old January 23, 2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Claude Clay

local to me that would be in the case for ~$550

but 100 more may be ok if the condition is LNIB and
the original box, papers & accessories are included.

it may also be worth the extra cause it is not common
or you just gotta have it. I have (not often) paid that premium

People are no different.
Old January 23, 2015, 02:54 PM   #3
BigHunt 1981

Sounds like a steal to me. ROA's by themselves bring over $500 on Gunbroker.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Tallbald

I've been looking for a fixed sight ROA a long time. I sure hope it comes to pass. I'll sell one of my other adjustable sight ones to help pay for it. Will post if it works out. Thanks. Don
Old January 23, 2015, 05:49 PM   #5
J-Bar

That's a very good price for the combination, if the condition of both is as good as you describe. Good luck and post pix!
Old January 23, 2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Surculus

Location: Lo-cal So.Cal. where the money is plastic & the people are too.
ROA prices immediately began climbing just as soon as Ruger stopped making them. The R&D conversion cylinders for the ROA typically run ~ $250 or more on their own.

Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old January 23, 2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Tallbald

Again thank you. I've wanted a fixed sight stainless ROA for a long time. Even thought I'll have to sell one of my stainless garden variety ROA's to fund it. Don
Old January 23, 2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Malachi Leviticus Blue

In my opinion, if it includes the original BP cylinder, and is anywhere close to new condition it's a deal. Without the BP cylinder it's fair, but more than I'd hand over.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Patocazador

Yes, the original cylinder needs to be included for that price.

I just bought a 7 1/2" blue adj. sight one from a pawn shop for $350. The conversion cylinder used is worth ~ $190-200.

Bob
Old January 23, 2015, 09:26 PM   #10
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
1 year ago exactly, I was slow to pull the trigger on a nice nearly new ROA, no box, no paper for $395 at the best gunshop in Austin. What a fool I was, but it does show they can still be had at decent prices...you just need to keep your eyes open. That's the way I found my Pietta Le Mat at a local gun show for $200. I would definitely buy that ROA with all those goodies for $650 if I came across one again.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.

Last edited by elhombreconnonombre; January 23, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:54 PM   #11
Psycho

Fixed sights with conversion cylinder. I would jump all over that.

Psycho
Old January 23, 2015, 11:32 PM   #12
Tallbald

Thanks everyone. I'll let you folks know what comes of this. Don
Old January 23, 2015, 11:47 PM   #13
D. Buck Stopshere

It's a fair retail price for the Ruger @ $450, and the cylinder LNIB @ $ 200. It all depends on what one considers "excellent condition".

I sold a R&D .45 Colt cylinder LNIB, fitted for the Uberti Remington last Sunday at the gun show for $200, and bought five repro C & B revolvers, including a Dragoon, two 1860's and two 2nd Gen Colts with factory boxes.

From a retail standpoint in today's market, a Mint Ruger Old Army is a safe buy at $450.

I am looking to buy four ROA's from a fellow in the gun club as soon as I finish paying property taxes this month.

Last edited by D. Buck Stopshere; January 23, 2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 24, 2015, 09:53 PM   #14
ridgerunner1965

ruger has a policy of lifetime garuntee on the old armys. however they are running short of parts.

if you ship one to them and they cant fix it they are very liable to offer yu a choice of any of their current pistols in exchange. thats what happened to me.

i got a nice blackhawk 45. it was worth way more than the old army.
Old January 25, 2015, 01:11 AM   #15
Tallbald

I did the deal this morning. I'd rate the gun at 90% because of a few small spots of surface rust internally which came off with Breakfree CLP and a scotchbrite pad. Very few small scuffs on the bright high polish exterior finish. Bore and cylinder bores of both the BP cylinder and the nickel (or SS) R and D .45 Colt cylinder are very crisp and bright. Gentleman said he bought the gun and .45 Clt cylinder new in 1999. Box for the ROA was there, along with the factory lock, papers and nipple wrench. No plastic bag for the gun though. Box, box sleeve, papers and red felt bag for the RandD cylinder were there. I feel pretty good witht he deal. Not a real big bargain maybe but fair both ways. I believe I could recoup the $600 I spent if needed. Now to sell my 1978 pre-billboard stainless ROA 7 1/2 inch adjustable sight ROA (shameless plug for a face to face sale in southern Kentucky). That will still leave me three ROA's. In my region stainless ROA's bring $550. I think because they are ok to use as deer guns unless I'm misinformed. As always, thank you all for the input .Don

Last edited by Tallbald; January 25, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old January 25, 2015, 08:45 PM   #16
J-Bar

I think you did just fine. Congratulations!