Quantcast
Uberti or Cimarron 58 Remington - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 23, 2015, 07:08 PM   #1
ALJS

Uberti or Cimarron 58 Remington

I am thinking of getting an 1858 Remington. I am told the Uberti has slightly better quality than the Pietta. What I would like to know is how does the Cimarron compare with the Uberti? I am looking at Taylors for the Uberti and Texas Jacks for the Cimarron.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Malachi Leviticus Blue

Cimarron is an importer, and Uberti is a manufacturer.

And as fate would have it, every Cimarron I've seen was made by Uberti so they are equal.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

The Cimmaron *is* a Uberti. No different than those imported by Taylors or Stoeger save for the extra markings on the top of the barrel, that frankly don't add anything to the revolver at all. I prefer ones with less markings and so prefer those imported by other importers. Just my preference. Cimmaron would like you to think that their wares are somehow special... but they are just another Uberti.

In any event, especially in the 58, the Uberti products are excellent.

One of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had in my life was a dealing for two revolvers from Texas Jacks. I would never do business with them again under any circumstances. Others feel differently, but not old Willie.

Willie

Old January 23, 2015, 09:23 PM   #4
White Walker

I'd be interested in what happened because I was thinking of getting one of them.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Crawdad1

I've dealt with Taylor's & Company for 5 different revolvers ('49 Pocket, '51 Navy, '60 Army, '62 Police, and '58 Remington all built by Uberti and all markings under the loader lever) and received excellent service from them. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else.

Last edited by Crawdad1; January 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old January 24, 2015, 12:00 AM   #6
D. Buck Stopshere

I was a dealer for Cimarron and still with Taylor's & Co., and Cimarron's revolvers have a little better finish on their Uberti's to include fire-blue finish on the screw heads. A cosmetic touch for the collector.

Both have had satisfactory customer service records, but Taylor's & Company went the extra mile. Tammy & Sue are tops at T & Co, Inc.

Taylor's & Company had Uberti Remington Navy's on their end of year sale, and I sold the last one last Sunday.

Last edited by D. Buck Stopshere; January 24, 2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 24, 2015, 12:08 AM   #7
damoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi Leviticus Blue View Post
Cimarron is an importer, and Uberti is a manufacturer.

And as fate would have it, every Cimarron I've seen was made by Uberti so they are equal.
Thats what I have found also and I have had better luck with Piettas anyway
Old January 24, 2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Willie Sutton

"Cimarron's revolvers have a little better finish on their Uberti's to include fire-blue finish on the screw heads."

Not all, some. It depends on the finish level you select.

Ive Ubertis imported by all three importers, in a number of finishes ranging from the antique to the rust blue. All are good. I appreciate Taylors customer service and resent the service I received from Texas Jacks. I've written about my experience in prior posts, and there's no need to go over it again.

Willie

Old January 24, 2015, 12:18 AM   #9
44 Dave

Just last month I bought a Uberti from Midway (they had a special $), when it came there was Taylors ligature in the box.
Old January 24, 2015, 01:45 AM   #10
Ephraim Kibbey

My new Pietta 1861 Navy from MidwayUSA also came with a Taylor's & Co. mini-catalog.

Midway has some parts listed as Taylor's but none of the guns are listed that way as yet.
Old January 24, 2015, 01:46 AM   #11
Berkley

I also bought a Uberti Remington from Midway last month, at a great closeout price. I didn't notice when I got it, but just checked and it is marked Taylor's as well.

Old January 24, 2015, 06:19 AM   #12
Kruff

I would go with Uberti over Pietta any day. Pietta has come a long way from years back but I still prefer Uberti.

Cimarron is a Uberti but fit and finished a bit better. I have a Cimarron SAA and fit and finish is on par with my 2nd gen Colt.

My Cimarron with outshoot my Colt with lead bullets. Probably due to the Colt having a 454" cylinder throat.
Old January 24, 2015, 10:29 AM   #13
ALJS

Great info. I was looking to see if one or the other had LESS STAMPINGS in obvious places like the side of the barrel or frame. I've read here that everyone likes Taylors so I'll probably buy from them. My ROA is so much fun to shoot I need another BP revolver. I've got an 1851 Colt 2nd. gen Navy that I'm trying to decide whether or not to shoot.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by ALJS; January 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: More info.
Old January 24, 2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Crawdad1

I would go with a Uberti then and from Taylor's. Except for the 'proof marks' and stamps there is no visible markings anywhere on the revolver except under the loading lever. I don't know for sure but other importers stamp their name somewhere visible on the revolver whereas currently Taylor's does not.

If you can see there are no 'markings' on the barrel except for a 'proof' mark and date stamps that are very hard to see and the other side of the barrel looks the same, everything else is under the loading lever. That's a Uberti built revolver from Taylor's & Co. However, defarbing is also an option

Last edited by Crawdad1; January 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old January 24, 2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Ephraim Kibbey

44 Dave and Berkley - I just checked my MidwayUSA 1861's box and it too has a Taylor's and Co. sticker.

I checked the gun and there is no "Taylor's & Co." on the barrel under the loading lever but there IS a "2014" marking.

The bottom of the numbers are incompletely stamped.

The date cartouche IS "CM" for 2014.

None of my other Piettas have a date stamp there.

My Cabela's Pietta 1860 has nothing stamped on the barrel under the loading lever but it is a "CL" for 2013.

What, if anything, is stamped under your loading levers on your new MidwayUSA Uberti's?

Anyone have a 2014 Taylor's & Co. or MidwayUSA gun with a similar date marking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.jpg (76.2 KB, 9 views)
Old January 24, 2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Willie Sutton

"Cimarron is a Uberti but fit and finished a bit better."

With multiple examples to look at in my own collection, I respectfully disagree. There's nothing special about Cimmaron *within any similar finish category* than those imported by Taylors.

Taylors imports are unmarked save for the "black powder only" under the loading lever and proof and date code stamps on the frame. Cimmaron adds non-authentic markings on the barrel. For this reason I prefer non-Cimmaron imported examples.

Willie

Old January 24, 2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Berkley

Quote:
What, if anything, is stamped under your loading levers on your new MidwayUSA Uberti's?
These are the only markings besides the serial number on the buttstrap.

Old January 24, 2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Peter M. Eick

Keep in mind that Cimarron also imports Pietta. I thought I had ordered an Uberti but a Pietta showed up. In the end I was happy but I was suprised. It does say on their web site so read carefully.
Old January 24, 2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Kruff

"With multiple examples to look at in my own collection, I respectfully disagree. There's nothing special about Cimmaron *within any similar finish category* than those imported by Taylors."

Willie,
IMHO you may be correct with the newer made guns. My statement was based on a side by side comparison I did years ago of Uberti and Cimarron. At that time the Cimarron had a more attractive blueing and "seemed" to be fitted better. Maybe it was luck of the draw?? Don't know.

I only have one BP pistol (1860 Colt) so I am certainly no expert. I prefer smokeless powder weapons.
Old January 24, 2015, 11:09 PM   #20
Willie Sutton

^^

And I've neither of their cartridge guns to compare. All of their current BP stuff is identical though.

Willie