Quantcast
p&j.w.hoy rifle - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 4, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
olanlee

p&j.w.hoy rifle

I have a rifle stamped p&j.w.hoy millsville S.C it's a plain rifle with brass trigger guard and butt plate and the initials D.B carved in the stock would like to know what the initials stand for and a round about ball park on what it maybe worth
Old December 4, 2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Awsomepossum

Could you post some pictures?
Old December 4, 2014, 10:39 PM   #3
USAF_Vet

Caliber? Action?
Old December 4, 2014, 10:45 PM   #4
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I assume it is a percussion or flintlock rifle.

Quote:
In GUNSMITHS OF THE CAROLINAS, there is a Patrick Hoy listed as working in Spartanburg County in 1820. Jerry Nobel in his NOTES ON SOUTHERN LONG RIFLES, Vol.1 lists Patrick Hoy as born in Antrim County, Irland 1778. Came to America in 1804. He worked in Millville, near Switzer, in Spartenburg County SC.
This rifle was apparently made by the partnership of Patrick and his son Jno. W. Hoy.

I couldn't even guess on value without a lot more information on exactly what it is, condition, and some good photo's.

rc
Old December 5, 2014, 10:58 AM   #5
olanlee

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014060795170154.jpg (42.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 2014060795170122.jpg (61.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20140607_132819.jpg (33.9 KB, 75 views)
Old December 5, 2014, 08:33 PM   #6
olanlee

Did those photo help
Old December 5, 2014, 09:36 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Not much.

I am very far from an expert in percussion rifles.

It appears it is in poor condition with missing patch box, lock screw, and a cracked stock.

I have no idea what it is worth as it appears there are not enough of then sold recently to get any idea.

My personal feeling is, it would not be worth a lot unless you could find someone who likes projects like that.

Maybe $300 -$500 tops?
But I really have no idea.

What I will do is suggest a mod move this thread to the black powder forum.

There are a lot more people that will know a lot more about it then I do.

rc
Old December 5, 2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Crawdad1

Try here;

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...o370&board=3.0

They have a virtual library of longrifles including longrifles built in South Carolina. Someone over there who is looking to build a South Carolina rifle may buy it to use as a model but value wise they may be of assistance.
Old December 5, 2014, 11:16 PM   #9
D. Buck Stopshere

Based on the curve in the buttplate, I would put the rifle in the 1840-1850 time period. I believe it has a grease hole in the cheek of the stock (for lubricating the shooting patch material) instead of a missing patchbox.

However, I agree with "rc" as to the condition. I would probably be looking at the $300 mark as to value. "Plain-Jane percussion rifles don't have much demand unless they are made by more well-known makers like the Hawken brothers or Leman, who made guns for the fur trade period.

Condition is everything for determining value; scarcity & demand are second.
Old December 9, 2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Sptbgboy

Hoy rifle information

Patrick Hoy was a sometime gunsmith in upper SC who also had a grist mill, a saw mill, and was a blacksmith. He came to USA from Ireland in 1804 and died in 1860. Examples of his guns are few. Early ones had his initials P.H. and the few seen were very ornate with bone and silver inlays. Later guns made with his son and marked like the one you have were very plain. He was my great, great, great, grandfather. I would like to buy the Hoy rifle you have. I do not know if I can afford a restoration this late in life, but I can leave it to one of my sons so he can approach the restoration. The initials carved in it mean nothing from a family relative standpoint, but I would like to have the rifle in the family. My email address is jotcet@comcast.net .
Old March 23, 2015, 08:45 PM   #11
southernblood

Olanlee,

Just joined the website. A big genealogy nut as well. This Hoy is in my line and I would like to discuss it with you off line. Can you email me with a contact number? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old March 23, 2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Steel Horse Rider

Wow, I have never seen the woodwork explode like that before.......
Old March 23, 2015, 10:11 PM   #13
Ephraim Kibbey

As an American of Irish Descent, there are a bunch of us!!! Alas, no Hoys in my ancestry though.