Quantcast
THR Remington 1858 Club - Page 9 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 2, 2011, 02:14 PM   #201
Hellgate

My breakthrough came a few years back when my wife badly wanted to get an expensive THIRD SEWING MACHINE for her quilting hobby. I said "OK, but I don't want to hear any hassel if I want to get another gun once in a while." She wanted that sewing machine so bad she'da agreed to anything. Since then it's been just fine. Currently have 16 C&Bs, have had up to 20 at one time and have owned/bought/sold 34 over the years.

SASS #3302 (Life), Regulator
NRA Life
SCORRS
Old March 2, 2011, 03:42 PM   #202
BHP FAN

Wow, you really are ''the Imelda Marcos of Cap & Ball
revolvers!
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old March 3, 2011, 03:52 PM   #203
SleazyRider

Got it!

Ahhh ... the Big Brown Truck of Happiness has just pulled from my driveway, leaving behind this little baby:

I guess that makes me an official member. The BBTof H should be bringing my black powder stockpile tomorrow or the next day, but since I'm a resident of the Evil Empire State and cannot be trusted with firearms, I have to register this gun and put in on my CCW permit before I can shoot it, or even have the ingredients to shoot it, or face a long jail sentence if I fail to do so. This will prevent me from robbing my local convenience store at gunpoint should I have the inclination. Gawd, I love New York!
Old March 3, 2011, 06:47 PM   #204
rdstrain49

Easy solutions 1 become Governor, 2 move to a free state. Now go make smoke
Old March 3, 2011, 07:37 PM   #205
Geneseo1911

That is a very nice photo SR. I must admit to being quite jealous of your revolver, also. I was in such a hurry that I didn't even notice the case hardened checkered grip model when I ordered. It looks a lot nicer in your photo than it does on the website, as well. I'm shocked you have to register a BP gun, though. Of course, who has seen a gang banger sticking somebody up with a Colt's Dragoon...

I got to shoot mine for the first time today......I'm hooked. The softer recoil and report amazed me, even with near maximum loads. Mrs. Geneseo was also impressed.
Old March 3, 2011, 08:07 PM   #206
SleazyRider

It is I who am jealous, Geneseo1911, as I won't be able to shoot mine for weeks to come! Now you've really whetted my appetite!
Old March 3, 2011, 09:20 PM   #207
BHP FAN

I know the color cased/checkered model isn't ''historical'', but it is easily the handsomest Remington they make. If they didn't make 'em then, they should've ... NICE!
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old March 4, 2011, 12:05 AM   #208
Captain*kirk

Aw, shucks....I ain't worried. She has no idea how many guns I have. As long as one of my kids don't blow my cover, I'm good. Which is why I haven't told any of 'em yet (They're all grown and out of the house).
So when I do show 'em I can say, "Aw this? I've had it a while now."
I just have to make sure she doesn't find the empty box (I hid it under the sofa)

And BTW...what do we get to do in this club, anyway? Are there snacks?
Old March 4, 2011, 09:36 AM   #209
dtvburns
Member.

I bought the case hardened (colored) 1858 too. I know it is not authentic to the era but neither am I.

I live in Western NY moved here a few years ago. The pistol laws here are..... whacked.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:58 AM   #210
Geneseo1911

The way I see it, just because Remington may not have produced a gun that looked like that, that doesn't mean it didn't exist. The ability to case harden and checker were obviously available at the time, so who's to say somebody didn't pretty one up?
Old March 4, 2011, 10:40 AM   #211
Shoot The Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain*kirk View Post
And BTW...what do we get to do in this club, anyway? Are there snacks?
Well, since you mentioned it..... no snacks. (sorry!)

But it's a good question - we should maybe have something more to 'the club' than just showing off our Remingtons and passing time? How about a target match? Nothing too demanding (gives me a better chance!) but maybe have a monthly comp with the target posted up here for you to print?

What do you think, team Remington?
Official THR Remington 1858 Club Member #1
Old March 4, 2011, 11:26 AM   #212
SleazyRider

Bring it!
Old March 4, 2011, 01:04 PM   #213
arcticap

Quote:
What do you think, team Remington?
And forget the names of the actual manufacturers?
Remington used to make 1858's but now they only make percussion caps!
Old March 4, 2011, 01:26 PM   #214
Shoot The Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
And forget the names of the actual manufacturers?
Remington used to make 1858's but now they only make percussion caps!
Sorry Arcticap, bad choice of words.... not what I meant... I was referring to all of us here - ie the members of the THR 'Remmie' club. My idea for the match is for us to shoot the same target at the same distance and post our results up here. Don't want to be separating those of us with Piettas from those with Ubertis and those with Euroarms. (nor those lucky enough to have originals!)

BTW, did Remington stop making rifles? I thought the 700 was one of the most popular bolt actions there is? Maybe you were only kiddin'
Old March 4, 2011, 08:41 PM   #215
rdstrain49

If we all shoot the same target, won't it be full of holes by the time the last guy shoots
Old March 4, 2011, 08:45 PM   #216
mykeal

How about this:

A two part postal match, open to members of the THR Remington 1858 Club.

Two targets, one at 25 yards and one at 10 yards.

The target is a plain white piece of 8 1/2" X 11" . It can be marked with an aim point of any design (dot, X, square, triangle, whatever) at any location on the paper.

5 rounds at each target; more than 5 holes disqualifies the target. Any less than 5 and the missing rounds will be scored as if they were at the furthest edge from the center of the target.

Any Remington design percussion revolver, any caliber, open iron sights only (adjustable sights ok, no shaders, no peeps, no scopes, no fiber optics). The same pistol must be used for both targets.

All decisions of the judge are final.

Part 1, 10 yards:

Offhand stance, one hand hold, free hand must not touch the firearm, or anywhere on the shooting arm below the shoulder.

The target will be scored by adding the 5 shot group size in inches to the distance of the center of the group from the center of the piece of paper in inches. The judge will determine the center of the page in order to score the target. The center of the holes will be used to determine the group center.

Mark the target with the shooter's THR alias (screen name) and the words Part One Target.

Part two, 25 yards:

Offhand standing, one or two hand hold, no artificial support other than the off hand.

The target will be scored by adding the distances of the center of each of the 5 holes from the center of the target.

Mark the target with the shooter's THR alias (screen name) and the words Part Two Target.

A third score will be computed by adding the scores on the Part One and Part Two targets.

Mutilated targets will be disqualified.

There are no prizes. The scores will be posted with the shooter's THR alias in the THR Remington 1858 Club thread one week after the match closes.

The match will close on 30 April 3011.

Mail the targets to arrive before the match closing date at a post office box that will be posted in the THR Remington 1858 Club thread in one week. Targets that arrive at the post office box after 5 pm 30 April 2011 will not be counted.

Targets will not be returned.

Last edited by mykeal; March 4, 2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: modify mailing rules
Old March 4, 2011, 09:40 PM   #217
black_powder_Rob

wow mykeal you really thought that out. I like it and I am definatly in on this one.

"Treat firearms as a martial art: you only get out what you put into it. No high-dollar gun + high dollar bullets will do a thing if you cant hit your target." CWL
Old March 4, 2011, 09:42 PM   #218
Captain*kirk

"The match will close on 30 April 3011."

Dunno 'bout you, Mykeal, but I probably won't be around for the final scoring on that one.
How 'bout we make it 2011 instead?

But I say April 30 is way too early. Hell, my BP range doesn't even open for the season until May 1st...weather permitting...(yeah, we all know how THAT goes!)
What say we make it by July 15th?
Everything else sounded good.
One other thing...since the winner gets the honors, I say we make him (or her) buy the snacks!
Old March 5, 2011, 08:25 AM   #219
mykeal

Geez. I give the guy a thousand years to take his shots and he moves it back to this year and then says he can't do that because the range isn't open in time.

If you can't get to the range, just set up your targets in the living room. If you need more room to get to 25 yards, count the ricochet distance.

Here's what we'll do -

Move the end date back to 30 April 2011 instead of 3011 (that way I get to act like it wasn't a typo).

Start another match to end on Memorial Day (May 30). Targets received at the post office box after 5 pm on 30 April will be automatically entered in the May match. To allow you to shoot the match on Memorial Day and still get the targets to me I'll change the rule (for the May match entries only): envelopes postmarked after 1 June 2011 will not be scored.

One set of targets per person per match. If you send in more than one set before 30 April, the second set will be automatically entered in the May contest. If I receive more than one set after 30 April, I'll count the higher score and discard the lower one.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:23 AM   #220
rdstrain49

Captain Kirk

You'd be more than welcome to use my range. Be advised, there has been a LOT of snow since this pic. May need snow shoes by now.

Old March 5, 2011, 10:23 AM   #221
Mizar

Mykeal, this Postal Match is a great idea - I like it!

Boris

P.S. Although the 25 yard target is quite small for my shooting abilities...
Old March 5, 2011, 03:58 PM   #222
Shoot The Moon

Mykeal, thankyou very much for your suggestion - perfect.

I think your suggestion is excellent and I propose you as judge! (I'd do it but most of you would have to post your targets airmail - this way only a couple of us do) - d'ya mind?

Old March 5, 2011, 05:21 PM   #223
mykeal

I assumed I'd be the judge when I proposed the match. I'll have a post office box next week to post the targets to. Watch this space.

PS as the judge I will not participate for score. However, I may shoot a round just to set the bar high...
Old March 8, 2011, 12:51 AM   #224
7mmstalker

'58 Remington coming home soon

Been wanting a cap and ball pistol for a long time. After much waiting and looking for a great deal, the patience paid off. Lucky for me the shop is holding it for a few days while I gather up all my change from couch cushions, car ashtrays, and old work pants! My gun funds took a beating during slow work times of winter. Anyhoo, work is finally picking up- and spare dollars for lead, powder, and a shiny stainless 7-1/2 pistol are showing up as well.
It's a plain-jane Pietta other than that, though a set of ivory or antler grips will be added sometime soon.
I've read about using conical bullets and would like to try them. Not having any luck finding them though. Are guys using slugs made for 45 Colt loads? Maybe I'm missing some thing here, does anybody make bullets like a minie ball or is that a no-go for revolvers?
Will post a pic and make a fomal membership request as soon as it comes to its new home.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:35 AM   #225
Oyeboten

Hi 7mmstalker,

Initially, just elect a Ball size which makes a thin little 'ring' of cut-off, when it is rammed Home. The Ball ought to have a good snug fit to the Cylinder Bore, and, that is the best way of seeing to it that it does.

At your liesure, see if you can measure the diameter of your Cylinder Bores, and, the major diameter of your Barrel ID.

Assuming those two get along, that then will determine what size Bullets as such, you could use, far as using Bullets usually found in .45 Colt Cartridge contexts.

Usually one's choice is also bound to regard the Bullet length, since most Cap & Ball revolvers will not admit anything other than a fairly stubby Bullet to be loaded, unless one dismount the Cylinder, and, Load with the use of a Loading Jig...or, one can remove Metal from the Revolver Frame, to allow longer Bullets to be loaded normally.