Quantcast
THR Remington 1858 Club - Page 23 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 15, 2011, 02:51 AM   #551
Busyhands94

definitely. i do want to get a holster that will go inside my coat kinda like Dirty Harry, that would be awesome!
Old October 16, 2011, 09:30 AM   #552
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
My K frame shoulder holster might do, Uncle Mikes. I"ll have to dig it out and check that later on when I wake up better. On my first cup of coffee at the moment. It has a pouch for two speedloaders that might just fit spare cylinders, too. I'll see.
Old October 16, 2011, 01:04 PM   #553
Ash_J_Williams

I'm in. Still haven't got to fire it, ammo is far too pricey for black powder .44s around here.
Old October 17, 2011, 12:29 AM   #554
YumaKid

mcgunner: I don't know for certain (haven't tried it), but I'd bet that the Remington's frame would be an unquestionably hard fit in almost any K-frame holster.

My 5-1/2" NMA is a very tight fit in a Safariland "duty holster" built for a 6" Model 27/28/29 (N-frame). Takes some effort to shove it in deep enough to use the thumb-break strap; and it's very "draggy" when being drawn. That last may be due to the tall front sight; but I have to say, once it's stuffed in the holster, that Remington is NOT going to "just fall out"!
Old October 17, 2011, 07:32 AM   #555
MCgunner

Well, it's tight, but the UM's rig has a velcroed adjustable thumb strap with lots of adjustment, not a problem with that. And, yeah, it ain't gonna fall out. LOL! Don't really NEED the thumb strap.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:35 AM   #556
MCgunner

Quote:
I'm in. Still haven't got to fire it, ammo is far too pricey for black powder .44s around here.
Uh? Caps about 5 bucks, powder about 15 to 20 a pound (BP/pyrodex). Ball about 15 bucks and you're set. Now, I cast ball/conical bullet and can make my own caps with my tap-o-cap if I get desperate. Roll caps are getting hard to find, though. Guess kids don't play with cap guns anymore.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:48 AM   #557
YumaKid

I'll have to try the UM holster at least once; especially since there is a Uncle Mike's #2 wrapped around my wife's (used to be MY) Model 13 in the bedroom as I type this.
After that, will have to try stuffing the Remmie in the UM #5 pancake holster that usually carries my 29. Now THAT would be an interesting open carry, especially if I walked around with the 7-1/2" barrel Remington in there!

Very true comment about roll caps and kids not playing with cap pistols anymore. Today's parents are (for the most part) nothing like yours and mine. My Dad started me out shooting his single-shot Savage .22 when I was 8 or 9; gave me a .22 of my own for my 12th birthday (family tradition), took me dove hunting with a .410 ("You'll learn how to AIM a shotgun on the move with that, son.") shortly thereafter, taught me the manual of arms for both his .357 and his 1911, ultimately had me shooting every firearm in his little collection; and somehow I've managed to live nearly 50 years without ever shooting another human, either accidentally or apurpose. I've done the same with my own son; with the addition of his non-standard .44 'Sheriff's Model' Colt in the same pattern as yours. Still only 15, he's even found himself a job to start saying for his own vehicle - he's looking for a late-60's/early 70's Ford or Chevy pickup - to rebuild.
Somewhere, somebody is just waiting for the opportunity to tell me what a horrible parent I am. When that happens,I think I'll just blame it on my own "improper upbringing"!
Old October 18, 2011, 10:44 AM   #558
kBob

Roll caps are harder to find than ring caps. My kids cap pistols use plastic rings with plastic percussion caps in them much like what we used in the "Wasp" style "cap guns" of the late 1960's or so. I have popped one on a Classic Arms single shot derrenger but not had the guts to try one with a load of powder and ball in the gun, Just the powder melted the cap fairly well and that was with no wad or anything so no ball yet. I cut individual caps from the ring. Incidentally last week The Boy and I were at Tractor SUpply and they had some guns like the old Parris Kaydet rifles. also a double barreled "shot gun" an pistol much like the ones from the early 1960's though not capable of launching cork balls. These new ones are set up to take the plastic ring caps individual percussion caps again cut loose from the rings.

I wonder if there is a way to mount one of the plastic cap's dot of boom stuff in a tap o cap made cap?

-kBob
Old October 18, 2011, 04:39 PM   #559
azyogi

The 'bang stuff' from a ring style cap works fine in a tap-o-cap I super glue a circle of flash paper [nitrated tissue paper] over it to hold in primer charge. The only caps I've found lately are the chinese roll caps, the backing on these is too stout to suit the tap-o-cap. I cut the charge on these away from the backing with an exacto blade using only the red tissue paper front. Extra care in cleaning is required when using these. Due to their perchlorate contents.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:13 PM   #560
MCgunner

I've found two types of ring caps. One has a blue cover over the cap, for what i don't know. The other is just a plain red cap. The plain ones don't have the pop and in my '51 the other day, I had some misfires with 'em. the ones with the blue cover are hotter and seem to work better. I have a curved pick looking tool I pull 'em off with after firing. One GOOD thing, they don't fall down in the hammer works after firing, stick to the nipple. They aren't that hard to get off with my tool. I pull the cylinder and load with a press, anyway.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:19 PM   #561
MCgunner

BTW, I shot my Remmy today. I'm impressed, shoots to POA with no filing on the site. Accuracy has to be worked on, though. It was a lousy day for shooting, too, very high winds and the sun was kinda blinding. I managed a best 5" groups at 25 yards off a poor bench hold.

I think I can get it to do a might better, maybe even in the 3" range. Just today wasn't the day to play.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:28 AM   #562
achysklic

My stainless came in last week, loved it so much I ordered it's blue brother which should be here the first of the week. I post pics when the brothers unite.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:40 PM   #563
kbbailey

Quote:
BTW, I shot my Remmy today. I'm impressed, shoots to POA with no filing on the site. Accuracy has to be worked on, though
Need I remind you that with my 5.5" Remington, I placed 2nd (two entries) in the '58 world championships hosted by Mykeal a few months ago??
Old October 19, 2011, 09:29 PM   #564
MCgunner

So, um, got any load recipes, tricks of the trade, good buddy?
Old October 22, 2011, 08:21 AM   #565
kbbailey

For the recipe I used 25gr 777; homemade lube wad; cast .454 ball...... then the usual shooting form: close one eye, stick tongue out corner of mouth, take careful aim, jerk trigger, wait for smoke to clear, repeat.
Old October 22, 2011, 03:01 PM   #566
Busyhands94

shot my 58 Remmy on Thursday, it's the coolest handgun in the entire world!
Old October 22, 2011, 04:07 PM   #567
MCgunner

Quote:
For the recipe I used 25gr 777; homemade lube wad; cast .454 ball.....
Funny you should say that. That's the load (Lee 1.6 scoop) I settled on yesterday, but with corn meal filler instead of lubed wads and a swaged .454 Speer ball. I need me a round ball mold. Groups just a hair over 3" at 25 yards and I think coulda done slightly better, but that I was also using your shooting form.

I came home from the shooting trip yesterday with visions of Remmies in my head. Yeah, it just made a buddy out of me, too. I've rued the loss of production of the 5.5" ROAs, but this Remmy has satisfied that urge and with some original design flair to boot.

Heck, I even drew it from a pocket (left my holster at home) 20 feet or so from three pepper poppers and knocked down 3 of 'em with 4 shots fanning it from the hip. The thing even POINTS pretty decent. I wasn't Eastwood fast or anything, slow and deliberate, just sayin'...

Ah, Outlaw Josey Wales is on Ion and he's about to say "dyin' ain't much of a livin, boy". Gotta go.

Last edited by MCgunner; October 22, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old October 22, 2011, 05:43 PM   #568
BHP FAN

''it ain't for eatin', it's for lookin' through....
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old October 23, 2011, 10:03 PM   #569
kbbailey

Quote:
I need me a round ball mold
I bought Lee molds for all my centerfire guns a while back, no regrets at all. A 20# Lee Production Pot was money well invested also.
I am satisfied that they have paid for themselves already in savings, not to mention convenience(I hate going to town).
Old October 23, 2011, 10:19 PM   #570
kbbailey

Quote:
I've rued the loss of production of the 5.5" ROAs, but this Remmy has satisfied that urge and with some original design flair to boot.
I lost the bid on gunbroker for a SS 5.5" ROA w/conv c yl early in the year. You never know what is good for you because I bought my 5.5" '58 the following day for $199. I have been completely satisfied with the Pietta. It has been my favorite shootin' iron since then!!
Old October 24, 2011, 06:03 PM   #571
MCgunner

Yeah, I've been casting for .38/.357, 9x19, 9x18, .45ACP, .45 Colt, .380ACP, and 220 conicals for my revolvers, even an old Lee hollow point mold for the ROA in .457, and a minie mold and a .31 mold and a Lee REAL in .50 Cal. I've got a Lee production pot I've used for 25+ years. But, I never had a round ball mold. All my molds, all but a couple, are Lees. The .31 is a brass replica of an original and casts a round ball and a 60 grain conical. The other non-Lee is a fishing weight mold. I just never got a round ball mold for my cap and ball guns. I've had my .454 conical mold for 35 years, one of the first i bought. But, both my newish '51 and this Remmy prefer round ball. Sooooo, I reckon I'll get a 2 cavity mold in .454 RB when I get the chance.

I have some other stuff I want, but it's gonna have to wait on money. I want a couple of spare cylinders for the Remmy and there's a spout set for my powder flask at Cabelas I'm wanting. I'm making a list, but it'll probably have to wait until after Christmas....bummer.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:04 PM   #572
kbbailey

I hear you. I have an itch for a shoulder holster for my 5.5" '58. Not necessarily for concealment, but more because I wear bibs during winter and while hunting.
A gunbelt under insulated bibs is a no-go. A gunbelt on the outside of the bibs is ...meh, ok....if you can draw from under your coat....If your gunbelt is big enough...etc...etc....grrrr
Old October 26, 2011, 12:46 AM   #573
Tinpan58

I got this holster for my 5.5 remmie, its very compact rides high and close to the body, and you just pop the snap and you can take the holster out of the holder without removing the belt, also there is a snap on each side of the holder so you can wear it left or right draw or left or right cross draw and the remmie fit like a glove from the first day, and the holder will fit on just about any belt up to 1.75 a little lower than a shoulder holster but very comfortable. 49.95 at cabelas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holster.jpg (83.2 KB, 40 views)
Old October 26, 2011, 12:56 AM   #574
Busyhands94

as far as gun leather goes, i like my tiedown holster. i made it myself, just the way i like it.
Attached Images
File Type: png gunner1.png (235.8 KB, 60 views)
Old October 26, 2011, 11:03 PM   #575
crazysccrmd

Here's where mine stays when it's not being fired.